Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hate WWE as much as the next poster and think the Naomi spot was kind of contrived even by standards of the Kofi Spot but like have no sympathy for the guys who make a career out of being loud and obnoxious critics getting jumped on for being asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Thank you for your bravery

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

blast0rama posted:

Hey hey hey, at least Dave saying that WWE sends a “bunch of dumbshits” to press ops on today’s pod was good stuff.

Right?

Right!?!

:cry:

Not really. Roman and Baron are both former ball players. Also, Roman is a 49ers superfan and Baron is from KC. Kind of a perfect fit, since they are feuding.

Dave’s original point of ‘Bryan is too smart and honest to be sent on media trips’ is correct, but he found a very poor way to articulate that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I still enjoy Dave Meltzer's Wrestler Intelligence Chart, I hope to see the full rankings some day.

Who was it that he spent like a whole segment last year slowly un-sugar-coating it so it went from

"I'm sure he's a nice guy but in this situation, he clearly wasn't thinking and--"

"I don't want to knock him as a person but I don't understand what you know, the mindset is"

"The thing is, he's a loving idiot."

Buff Bagwell maybe?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 31, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Plus Naomi is way prettier than those dweebs.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Edge & Christian posted:

I still enjoy Dave Meltzer's Wrestler Intelligence Chart, I hope to see the full rankings some day.

Who was it that he spent like a whole segment last year slowly un-sugar-coating it so it went from

"I'm sure he's a nice guy but in this situation, he clearly wasn't thinking and--"

"I don't want to knock him as a person but I don't understand what you know, the mindset is"

"The thing is, he's a loving idiot."

Buff Bagwell maybe?

prob Seth

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
This whole Naomi thing is what you get when you neglect the Alvarez trademark disclaimer of “I’m sure [pronoun] is a nice [person].” Also Mark is an annoying dumbass and if the end result of this. . .scandal(?) is that Mark stops doing the show I’d say that’s a win for everyone.

That said, Naomi was right to assert herself! But also the spot was dumb. But Naomi’s hair was stunning. In conclusion, Naomi is a land of contrasts.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
mark does one show a year, Bryan will only remember this when mark brings it up during the 2021 review

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What're the odds that WWE told their talent to jump on the scoopsmen today to try and distract from them firing their presidents? :lol:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Karmine posted:

This whole Naomi thing is what you get when you neglect the Alvarez trademark disclaimer of “I’m sure [pronoun] is a nice [person].” Also Mark is an annoying dumbass and if the end result of this. . .scandal(?) is that Mark stops doing the show I’d say that’s a win for everyone.

That said, Naomi was right to assert herself! But also the spot was dumb. But Naomi’s hair was stunning. In conclusion, Naomi is a land of contrasts.

I think it's mainly just when that Bryan & Co don't constantly reiterate it might be the writers and agents, they say it from the perspective of "Naomi was stupid" not "Naomi the character was written to be stupid". Can you imagine how fatiguing the podcasts would get on the second one?

Twitter fans claiming they were racist for saying anything bad about Naomi are garbage, though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Wazzu posted:

I think it's mainly just when that Bryan & Co don't constantly reiterate it might be the writers and agents, they say it from the perspective of "Naomi was stupid" not "Naomi the character was written to be stupid". Can you imagine how fatiguing the podcasts would get on the second one?

"Naomi" is a character

if they said all those things about Trinity Fatu, it'd be different

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Karmine posted:

If I'm not misunderstanding this situation, the implication is that WWE is, ahem, strongly encouraging women wrestlers to go after Bryan and Dave for comments like this Naomi thing and the Peyton Royce comment. I have no idea if that's the case but would absolutely believe it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

All they do with that poo poo is call more attention to Bryan and Dave and expand their reach.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WWE knew that the stock was going to tank today so they organized a hit on Bryan Alvarez to try and distract their apologists.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Lone Goat posted:

"Naomi" is a character

if they said all those things about Trinity Fatu, it'd be different

Eh, wrestlers always blur the line between characters and the person, that's just normal.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

MassRafTer posted:

WWE knew that the stock was going to tank today so they organized a hit on Bryan Alvarez to try and distract their apologists.

Honestly that 100% sounds like something they’d do :tinfoil:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MassRafTer posted:

This is probably correct.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Naomi is an idiot for setting that idiotic spot.
Trinity Fatu is a idiot for getting into a car with a drunk driver. And also a bad person.
The board geeks were talking about the character, not the person

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Just looking around Youtube and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG0GjkW1fVY

drat, long-hair & beard Vinny is a trip.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bryan and Vinny now thinking than Hangman shouldn't turn is really dumb. They think he is Steve Austin, no he's Tommaso Ciampa. He needs to turn heel still.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lid posted:

Bryan and Vinny now thinking than Hangman shouldn't turn is really dumb. They think he is Steve Austin, no he's Tommaso Ciampa. He needs to turn heel still.
wrong

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
right

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Turn the Bucks heel instead.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
When he turns heel, does he suddenly become a teetotaler?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah it seems like Page is better positioned to be where they wanted him at the start with this character adjustment so I don't see why they would turn him instead of someone else.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Hangman is cool and good and needs to have a moment of realization that he is ruining his life and the lives of others with his behavior. Which would probably be classified as a turn of some sort but doesn't necessarily require Hangman to turn on Omega, it just really should so that his arc has the full wheel, he's really only rejecting the call right now, there is still a lot of bottom for him to rock.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Bucks are better as Heels so they should turn. Also they're bad friends.

Omega is also a better heel but I don't think they'll turn him

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lid posted:

Hangman should stay face and Kenny should turn heel.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I have a hot take.

If the fans like the babyface thing the babyface is doing, don't turn him heel. Let the fans like what they like.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I have a hot take.

If the fans like the babyface thing the babyface is doing, don't turn him heel. Let the fans like what they like.

But how are you supposed to get if you don't needlessly turn everybody??

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's the greatest thing I ever saw :stwoon:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's too big to buy as an emote, isn't it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's not quite the same, sadly

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

It's not quite the same, sadly

someone turn it into the :drat: one

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Leaving Las Vegas is a great movie. Requiem For A Dream too. Wrestling is imo ill equipped to tell stories like this, and making Page’s drinking A Problem will go over like a wet fart. Crowds want to chant cowboy poo poo and hand him beers.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’d be really happy to be wrong about this and for it to be a great piece of storytelling. But I don’t think I will be.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Wazzu posted:

Eh, wrestlers always blur the line between characters and the person, that's just normal.

lol what a bunch of marks

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

aew could totally book nic cage that guy will do anything if the price is right

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

Leaving Las Vegas is a great movie. Requiem For A Dream too. Wrestling is imo ill equipped to tell stories like this, and making Page’s drinking A Problem will go over like a wet fart. Crowds want to chant cowboy poo poo and hand him beers.

Wrestling is historically incapable of telling stories like this but mainstream wrestling is also historically incapable of having gay and trans characters that are treated with any kind of nuance and respect, so I'm willing to let AEW give it a try.

The one problematic thing I see if that they have a champion who is a fullass alcoholic IRL and also has elements of that in his onscreen character, but it's not really addressed in the same way as it is with Hangman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The elite should turn because Hangman is in the right. They're bad friends.