Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Coatlicue posted:

Anybody else watching Kipo on Netflix?
I'm only on episode 4 but its AMAZING.
The animation the music the characters, evrything is so fresh and surprising and funny.

Really enjoying it (watching the last ep as we speak), except Dave, who I find annoying, and he also seems to be a net-negative to the team anyway.

Loving that Dan Stevens is the bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

just started the third episode why is only kipo pink

e: i suspect this question will be answered

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 20, 2020

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In regards to kipo

The way they set up wolf and her "coat" was very well done.

So I stumbled across "Mighty Max" on youtube its clearly vhs rips from broadcasts which were weekday morning I remember watching the show before school.

Its such a weird show, The animation is rough. Tony Jay as virgil, tim curry as skull master, robert townsend (TMNT) as max, They are all very good VA's tony jay chews through his lines.

But the lines are bad. Max comes off as trying too hard to be witty.

So the reason the series kinda haunts me is that it has death. It never happens on screen. But the end of season 1 has a group of heroes die and that ads a weight to it all its own.

Also it kinda rips off the dark tower for the ending.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At least you had all the episodes to watch. A childrens' show I liked from years ago, "Captain Zed and the Zee zone" (about a dream cop who patrols the dreams of children and makes sure nightmares don't invade) is missing like half the episodes because they never came out on VHS and no one recorded them. The only recordings of the lost episodes are such poor quality there is no sound at all. It's a shame because I watched the ones they did have a few months ago and they had neat premises, or aspects that built the world in interesting ways.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kipo: it's good

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I really hope that Kipo is the typical Netflix cartoon deal and the second half of season one ("season two") will arrive later this year, and preferably not like, November but way sooner. Aren't all the Dreamworks Netflix cartoons like this, with split seasons? Kipo definitely feels like we've just reached a midseason finale.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BioEnchanted posted:

At least you had all the episodes to watch. A childrens' show I liked from years ago, "Captain Zed and the Zee zone" (about a dream cop who patrols the dreams of children and makes sure nightmares don't invade) is missing like half the episodes because they never came out on VHS and no one recorded them. The only recordings of the lost episodes are such poor quality there is no sound at all. It's a shame because I watched the ones they did have a few months ago and they had neat premises, or aspects that built the world in interesting ways.

I would love to rewatch all of Telebugs, a cartoon I loved as a kid, but only a few episodes came out on VHS back in the 80s. Wanting to see the episodes again, I contacted the production company asking about a DVD release, only to be told there wasn’t really a demand for it. :saddowns:

In the intervening years, someone has put a bunch of episodes up on YouTube, but it’s still far from complete.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think two of my favourite episodes of Captain Zed were ones in which they really played with the setting, like an episode in which Zed gets trapped in a dream indefinitely, which is dangerous because if a Dream Patrol guy gets stuck and the kid wakes up, they disappear with the dream. The kid gets really close to waking up, but manages to not do so by booting them into a second layer of dream, so it seems that Zed is in the real world but the kid's kind of cushioned him with another layer. When it all comes to a head, and the whole Patrol HQ is watching with bated breath, they end up in a chase dream, being chased by everything that they came across in the prior layers, but then Zed makes a decision that is unprecedented, and changes the rules of the dream. He turns around during the chase dream, and flies the kid right at the creatures chasing him, breaking the programming of the dream because that's just not meant to happen.

The other great episode was one that established that the main character's dream patrol is only one of many. They are the human dream patrol, but there is actually a massive universe that they find when Zed goes off the map when he loses control of his car, and because they end up in animal space, his cat sidekick gains the power of speech, and TAKES OVER CAPTAINCY of the mission, reporting them to his species dream patrol HQ. There is one for every animal species, the humans are only one tiny part of the collective unconscious. It's why I was so bummed about the episodes that went missing. I didn't even see those ones until the youtube adventure a few months ago, as they weren't on the VHS that my grandma had.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I read about that cartoon a while back. There's a recurring character who's a really weird kid who actually enjoys what others consider to be nightmares, who comes in handy at one point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I read about that cartoon a while back. There's a recurring character who's a really weird kid who actually enjoys what others consider to be nightmares, who comes in handy at one point.

Yeah, he kind of owned. He only showed up in one of the episodes that's available. There's also a cute subplot with two of the sheep having a romantic arc across a few episodes :3: The sheep have a surprising amount of banter actually, they definitely feel like real people rather than just set dressing. Like at one point the main sheep (I'll call him nigel for the time being, can't recall his actual name) who works with the Patrol chief directly and makes all the announcements and things has his son over to visit his work, who is helpful when Captain Zed gets in trouble in a videogame dream because the kid knows computers. Also Captain Zed loves going to videogame dreams, he treats it as a little vacation where he can just go play with a kid for a few hours because there's normally no danger.

There's also a cute moment with an intra-company award thing where abilities are recognised, Nigel's being kind of petty, and one of the other sheep just comments "Oh, Nigel's just bitter that he never wins the tidiest desk award!" to which Nigel replies, over the intercom "I HEARD THAT!"

I also like Zed's main character flaw - he's too focused on missions to the extent that he lets his personal health and the health of his equipment suffer, because he just can't let himself STOP while he gets his car repaired and stuff. The videogame dream thing is kind of a loophole because he's still technically working.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 21, 2020

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ups_rail posted:

In regards to kipo

The way they set up wolf and her "coat" was very well done.

So I stumbled across "Mighty Max" on youtube its clearly vhs rips from broadcasts which were weekday morning I remember watching the show before school.

Its such a weird show, The animation is rough. Tony Jay as virgil, tim curry as skull master, robert townsend (TMNT) as max, They are all very good VA's tony jay chews through his lines.

But the lines are bad. Max comes off as trying too hard to be witty.

So the reason the series kinda haunts me is that it has death. It never happens on screen. But the end of season 1 has a group of heroes die and that ads a weight to it all its own.

Also it kinda rips off the dark tower for the ending.

:eng101: it's actually rob paulson that does Max

so glad somebody else watched this show. i loved it as a kid and re-watched the series when it got uploaded to youtube. there's a lot about that sadly hasn't aged well, like the animation, some of the storytelling, a bit of the dialogue, but it's still a pretty good show on its own imo. like you said, it's one of the few kids shows that didn't gently caress around when it comes to death. i really loved the show's darker tone. there's lots of instances in regards to violence that i was legit shocked. in the episode where they have to fight the norse demon Lockjaw, he brutally murders a vacationing family in their own cabin. they don't show it of course, but they make it clear that what he did to them was vicious. the episode with Talon is one of my all time favorites, though the writing in that episode makes no goddamned sense lol. i can't think of a kid's show that even approached the darker themes that MM did aside from maybe a handful like Superman: TAS and Justice League.

it also has a pretty killer, if at times cheesy, soundtrack. i really wish they released it. the voice acting is absolutely stellar. in addition to tony jay and tim curry, they also had david warner play talon, and he's soooo loving good lol.

it's really a shame that the show was never released on dvd. the vhs rips are pretty bad quality for the most part. and i don't even know who even owns the rights to it anymore.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 22, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Not to mention Mighty Max had what was probably one of the greatest toy lines of all time, and it boggles the mind that Hasbro has never tried reviving it even though they keep retooling Polly Pocket every couple of years

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ups_rail posted:

Max comes off as trying too hard to be witty.

Excellent verisimilitude for a kid in the 90s.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Not to mention Mighty Max had what was probably one of the greatest toy lines of all time, and it boggles the mind that Hasbro has never tried reviving it even though they keep retooling Polly Pocket every couple of years

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mighty Max was one of those shows that I only ever caught the tail end of while watching TV. I guess it was just reruns by the time I had access to television.

drrockso20 posted:

I think the popularity of mighty max (and really, the entire genre of toys in that size class) might've had something to do with oil prices making toys that used less plastic but more paint better able to compete. That and the fact that after the two big companies I remember that did a lot of stuff with tiny toys (Bluebird and Galoob) went out of business, nobody really bothered to fill that gap. Also potentially choking hazards, but I don't know anything about the law or industry standards surrounding that.

It also wouldn't be Hasbro bringing back Mighty Max, since Mattel is the one that bought up Bluebird Toys and all the associated rights. They still make Polly Pocket stuff, but poking around their website, they don't seem to have any IPs targeted at boys going on right now, despite having success with Barbie, Monster High, and She-ra. Maybe they'll reevaluate things if that coming Masters of the Universe movie does well.

It's interesting to dive into figuring out the corporate world behind all these things, but I've gotta do a lot of guesswork since I don't really have a broad knowledge of toy companies. It sure feels like Hasbro is the company with all the old integrated toy/cartoon IPs, but that may be largely my own limited perspective.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's interesting to dive into figuring out the corporate world behind all these things, but I've gotta do a lot of guesswork since I don't really have a broad knowledge of toy companies. It sure feels like Hasbro is the company with all the old integrated toy/cartoon IPs, but that may be largely my own limited perspective.

"The Toys That Made Us" on Netflix is a really fun docuseries about famous toy lines (which, unsurprisingly, and related to this thread, often intersects with cartoons)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Mighty Max was one of those shows that I only ever caught the tail end of while watching TV. I guess it was just reruns by the time I had access to television.

I think the popularity of mighty max (and really, the entire genre of toys in that size class) might've had something to do with oil prices making toys that used less plastic but more paint better able to compete. That and the fact that after the two big companies I remember that did a lot of stuff with tiny toys (Bluebird and Galoob) went out of business, nobody really bothered to fill that gap. Also potentially choking hazards, but I don't know anything about the law or industry standards surrounding that.

It also wouldn't be Hasbro bringing back Mighty Max, since Mattel is the one that bought up Bluebird Toys and all the associated rights. They still make Polly Pocket stuff, but poking around their website, they don't seem to have any IPs targeted at boys going on right now, despite having success with Barbie, Monster High, and She-ra. Maybe they'll reevaluate things if that coming Masters of the Universe movie does well.

Yeah I got them mixed up(which is weird because I'm usually good about remembering which properties belong to Hasbro and which are Mattel's*)

As for MOTU, well they're beginning a relaunch, starting off with a WWE crossover line

*other companies like Playmates I'm usually less sure of, at least partially because the Wikipedia page for that company is really lovely and barren of info

Pakled posted:

"The Toys That Made Us" on Netflix is a really fun docuseries about famous toy lines (which, unsurprisingly, and related to this thread, often intersects with cartoons)

Yeah it's overall a really good show, though kinda ironically the episode they did for Transformers is probably the sloppiest

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Mighty Max was good and cool. I loved looking at the toys and even bought one. It was a Demon skull with a snake tongue.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pakled posted:

I hate their theme song, but otherwise it's a good time.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Pakled posted:

The He-Man episode of that is a must-watch. The whole thing is full of really wild stories - for example, the origin of Battle Cat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGgoJQrJNDU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

doomrider7 posted:

Mighty Max was good and cool. I loved looking at the toys and even bought one. It was a Demon skull with a snake tongue.

They were interesting toys but I guess I don't remember playing with them loads. It is really weird that nothing has ever been revived for it, maybe it's in a rights hell sorta place.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
Finished Kipo! Its quality all the way through.

I don't know how they keep the animal-subculture groups funny and surprising every time but they do.

-I love every chase or fight scene with Jamack. The animation is too fun.
-Wolf's backstory is genuinely horrfying. It's really well done but drat.
-In the last episode, Kipo's transformation is awesome. I've rewatched the jaguar eye's song about five times and it's seamless. It captures the weird uncanny feeling of body transformation while showing that Kipo has everything she needs to navigate the change. I am very intrigued to know what her father knows about it.

-I do hope they do a bit more with Dave next season.
- They better announce the next season soon!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Coatlicue posted:

Finished Kipo! Its quality all the way through.

I don't know how they keep the animal-subculture groups funny and surprising every time but they do.

-I love every chase or fight scene with Jamack. The animation is too fun.
-Wolf's backstory is genuinely horrfying. It's really well done but drat.
-In the last episode, Kipo's transformation is awesome. I've rewatched the jaguar eye's song about five times and it's seamless. It captures the weird uncanny feeling of body transformation while showing that Kipo has everything she needs to navigate the change. I am very intrigued to know what her father knows about it.

-I do hope they do a bit more with Dave next season.
- They better announce the next season soon!

Given the pelt it's obvious that Wolf at least killed some of the pack that tried to hunt her, but I'm curious if there are any survivors. Especially given that her sister seemed reluctant to turn on her and was the last to do so. It would be interesting for her to run into a survivor, them to be seeking some kind of help or her sister trying to make restitution, only to find that some things cannot be forgiven and that bridge is burned permanently.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Given the pelt it's obvious that Wolf at least killed some of the pack that tried to hunt her, but I'm curious if there are any survivors. Especially given that her sister seemed reluctant to turn on her and was the last to do so. It would be interesting for her to run into a survivor, them to be seeking some kind of help or her sister trying to make restitution, only to find that some things cannot be forgiven and that bridge is burned permanently.

I assumed it was the sister's pelt she was wearing, but lacking any distinctive markings, that's just a guess.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Every once in a while im reminded new Animaniacs is a thing, and I've been wondering what that would look like in 2020. I guess the answer is "more or less the same I guess"

https://twitter.com/animanicast/status/1221122974268391424?s=20

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
After three episodes, I like Owl House. Those guys from that studio seem to be good at this whole animation business. Did these "Disney" fellas create anything else worth noting?

I do enjoy what a giant nerd Lux is. She's a total nerd, even by 2020 standards when most of the western population is somewhat geeky.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 26, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Any opinions on the most recent Ninja Turtles series? I followed the 2012 series for a while but I think it kinda crashed and burned.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

YggiDee posted:

Any opinions on the most recent Ninja Turtles series? I followed the 2012 series for a while but I think it kinda crashed and burned.

Their 4 player arcade game isn't amazing and kind of a let down when you beat it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

YggiDee posted:

The animation is god tier. The actual writing's a bit more hit or miss, but most episodes are at least really fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

The animation is god tier. The actual writing's a bit more hit or miss, but most episodes are at least really fun.

It's not as consistent as the 2000s series (Fast Forward aside) but does characterisation a lot better for the most part. They actually act like teenagers, but not to an annoying degree.

I haven't seen much of Rise of the TMNT, but it seems to be doing a lot of things differently.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rise is a bit thin on overarching plot, but it's funny as hell and the action scenes are often amazing.

The characterization is really strong, Donny is a total dork without being creepy, April is great, Raph is more than just angry, Splinter I wasn't sure about, but I really like him now, and in general they're more of a family than they were in previous series, despite even more blatantly being clearly unrelated species.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Kipo is extremely good and I need more immediately.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Beachcomber posted:

Kipo is extremely good and I need more immediately.

Also one of the writers is that guy who tweets he's seen a movie before it's out and gets quoted by loads of media outlets because he has a blue tick and they think it's real.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, based on all the YouTube videos that keep popping up, it seems like the Tangled TV series has gone mad extra.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's a fun show. I really like Cass quite a bit.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really like Tangled. Cass is awesome and she has an incredible singing voice.
But to be honest, a lot of the episodes felt like filler. But lately the engine is roaring at a lot of power.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

cant cook creole bream posted:

I really like Tangled. Cass is awesome and she has an incredible singing voice.
But to be honest, a lot of the episodes felt like filler. But lately the engine is roaring at a lot of power.

Because they do 26 eps a season, you wind up with a bit of filler. Season 2 I thought did a better job at making the filler plot relevant, but the filler ends up being mostly character stuff.

Even though the filler is average most of the time, the high points the show hits are worth the investment. It's the TV show version of "Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in again!" Especially when they have a two parter with a few Alan Menken songs. Hopefully the back half of season 3 continues the trend of cashing in the setup they've put forward with Cassandra and Rapunzel and they stick the landing.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

Because they do 26 eps a season, you wind up with a bit of filler. Season 2 I thought did a better job at making the filler plot relevant, but the filler ends up being mostly character stuff.

Mike Schur of Office/Parks and Rec fame gave up on the 26 episode model for this reason - his latest show did only 13 half-hours a season but not a single minute felt wasted.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've actually started watching the Tangled series, onto episode 6, and I love that the royals get real personalities. The King isn't just controlling, he's specifically still suffering from the trauma of having his daughter stolen and keeps reliving it in times of stress, legitimate PTSD so of course he's making decisions that make sense, but risk turning him into a mother Gothel figure himself, and the Queen is quite impish in a way, but also more stern due to experience, she's a more mature version of Rapunzel who has learned how to balance her urges with what's needed of her. I liked her conversation with Eugene when he turns himself in as the man who stole her ring 8 years ago, and she quite clearly points out that she can't forgive him because it was a very traumatic experience for her, but she is willing to lie for him so the King doesn't tear him apart because she recognises that he is a different man now. They do a great job of making them fairly rounded people.

Edit: OK, the King's pretty funny too "I MUST PARTAKE!" sold me.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

BioEnchanted posted:

I've actually started watching the Tangled series, onto episode 6, and I love that the royals get real personalities. The King isn't just controlling, he's specifically still suffering from the trauma of having his daughter stolen and keeps reliving it in times of stress, legitimate PTSD so of course he's making decisions that make sense, but risk turning him into a mother Gothel figure himself, and the Queen is quite impish in a way, but also more stern due to experience, she's a more mature version of Rapunzel who has learned how to balance her urges with what's needed of her. I liked her conversation with Eugene when he turns himself in as the man who stole her ring 8 years ago, and she quite clearly points out that she can't forgive him because it was a very traumatic experience for her, but she is willing to lie for him so the King doesn't tear him apart because she recognises that he is a different man now. They do a great job of making them fairly rounded people.

Edit: OK, the King's pretty funny too "I MUST PARTAKE!" sold me.

Will be curious what your take on Queen for a Day is.