Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Adhemar posted:

Please meet your lyft driver efc525da-883c-4cbc-945a-2e14132a1e42 on the corner of
7f11c09b-cc1b-45e1-9a51-ecab96dc20bd and bb35b945-0c3f-401a-a945-b3cf1f229547.

Unique names! finnaly

my brother is called Ramon and my father is called Ramon

imagine all the confusions that name collisions generate

It should be illegal to pick a name for a baby that is already in use by other person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Real talk: replace social security numbers with uuids. :colbert:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

I have heard multiple times about "identity thief" in USA - Is not a problem here in europe have

Care somebody elaborate how can even be a problem?

maybe would be a bit off-topic

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

real talk, standardised address system. We had two different postcode lookup services we needed to use (one for residential and one for commercial properties) and writing a module to try and normalise them nearly bought me to tears

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Tei posted:

What software developers need is a cool perk

Ship captains can marry people - Software developers need a perk like that

maybe software developers can have a right to be the first to name things like childrens or streets

I want to live in a world where people and streets are named by programmers

I name a person “street” and the street they live on “person on street”

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

leper khan posted:

I name a person “street” and the street they live on “person on street”

Odd, I named one of the kids “DROP TABLE” and a street “SELECT *”. All the cars crashed and the whole city is legally dead.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ratbert90 posted:

Odd, I named one of the kids “DROP TABLE” and a street “SELECT *”. All the cars crashed and the whole city is legally dead.

Are you sure? I still see a person on street.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

It's one of the lizard people. They are stored in different table

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

You should have a private one that maps to a public one, so you can revoke the public one if someone starts messing with you. Or any number of public ones, which map to your private one.

Tei posted:

I have heard multiple times about "identity thief" in USA - Is not a problem here in europe have

It has been a problem in Norway, less so now. You could for instance order a phone with a plan just by giving the SSN in stores that might be sloppy with ID checking. Then get the person's phone number ported over to that SIM card, then you could use that phone number as verification for various things, which might get you a bank login token, which in turn gives you access to everything.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Adhemar posted:

Please meet your lyft driver efc525da-883c-4cbc-945a-2e14132a1e42 on the corner of
7f11c09b-cc1b-45e1-9a51-ecab96dc20bd and bb35b945-0c3f-401a-a945-b3cf1f229547.

Go a block down str, turn left on str2, keep going past asdf and tmp_a until you reach the bridge by the corner of tmp_b and str_escaped. Then you get on str_escaped_final until you see the sign on todo.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
If the old joke that "there are only two hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation and naming things" is true, asking to name more things isn't so much a perk as a punishment.

Let's think practically here: developers should have their own private WLAN band. Join the union and be handed the code used to set any router to the secret engineer only Hz range, free from interference from the government or any plebeian neighbors. It only needs a medium scale conspiracy, we have the power to make it real.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
To join the WLAN band all you need to do is solve the CAPTCHA in the form of a whiteboard algorithm question.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

NtotheTC posted:

real talk, standardised address system. We had two different postcode lookup services we needed to use (one for residential and one for commercial properties) and writing a module to try and normalise them nearly bought me to tears

This one has been "solved": https://what3words.com/

Edit: I found my three-word address and it's ambiguous because I'm on the second floor, lol.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 31, 2020

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I named my street the empty string as a joke and now the postal service sends all the mail with unreadable addresses here, it's blowing in to my garden and making a mess

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

Edit: I found my three-word address and it's ambiguous because I'm on the second floor, lol.

a good way to burn investor money

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Tei posted:

What software developers need is a cool perk

Ship captains can marry people - Software developers need a perk like that

maybe software developers can have a right to be the first to name things like childrens or streets

I want to live in a world where people and streets are named by programmers

this is the only way that software will ever handle names and addresses correctly

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

rt4 posted:

a good way to burn investor money

that's one of the easy problems of computer science

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I named my street Church Lane and the next street Church Lanе and all these loving incompetent postal workers are constantly complaining that they can't tell the difference as if that's my loving problem!!!

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Tei posted:

Wiki Article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_number#Identity_theft

The basic idea is that the USA doesn't have an official, universal, federal identification. The Social Security Number (SSN) was originally just the identifier for one's Social Security account (the government backed "retirement" account). But then it was repurposed as an individual's taxpayer identification. And from there it became the de facto Federal identification number, used for things like military ID. But because it wasn't designed as a universal federal identifier, it has some problems. First, the SSN card itself has no identifying information, just the name and number, so anyone could take an SSN card and say "yep, this is me", and people accepting the card would be none-the-wiser, unless they checked for supporting ID, which could sometimes be fraudulently obtained using the SSN. Second, the SSN was, originally, just the ID number for your Social Security Account, not a particularly interesting piece of info, so it wasn't treated as a big secret. It was printed on all sorts of stuff, stored in plain text in ancient mainframe databases, and re-used in all sorts of other places (like employee numbers and bank customer ids; many states even used it as your driver's license number). And it wasn't particularly random, so if you knew some information about a person, like the place and date of birth, you could guess the first 5 digits pretty reliably, meaning if you had the last four digits you had the whole number.
So, a number that initially had a single purpose became used as a universal identifier, and also organizations treated it as if it were a secret that only an individual would know, when no one ever put much effort into keeping it secret. This, as you may have guessed, was a recipe for disaster.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

CPColin posted:

If only there were some sort of accurate method of addressing points on a spheroid. Shame that doesn't exist. Nope. Better get some programmers to "fix" this dire problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

If only there were some sort of accurate method of addressing points on a spheroid. Shame that doesn't exist. Nope. Better get some programmers to "fix" this dire problem.

"What's your address?"
"-21.692941728543° N -43.472103813716° W"
"Alright see you there!"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jethro posted:

And it wasn't particularly random, so if you knew some information about a person, like the place and date of birth, you could guess the first 5 digits pretty reliably, meaning if you had the last four digits you had the whole number.

And of course the places where anonimization was sort of done printing last four digits was often the choice.
Heck, at least one institution of higher learning used to have last four digits of SSN in e-mail addresses, IIRC.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Tei posted:

my brother is called Ramon and my father is called Ramon

imagine all the confusions that name collisions generate

My username is because I'm a "the Sixth" irl, which frequently devolves into systems thinking we're the same person. The GA state driver's license form only went up to IV so I had to go in person. When my father turned 65 I got a shitload of medicare spam. On those financial disambiguation things I have to pretend I don't know who his wife is. On a domestic flight in India, we were issued identical boarding passes and had to explain to the gate agent we were two separate people "like George/George W"

Anyway computers are awful

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

3 words is easier to memorize

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yes, three random words is better than relevant contextual information about a location.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Fool posted:

yes, three random words is better than relevant contextual information about a location.

No it's not. (arguably at least)

But I don't think he was comparing three words to a regular address, he was comparing three words to lat/longitude as was obviously being alluded to by this:

Speaking of alternatives to lat/long and regular stupid addresses, Google Maps uses plus codes.

For example, the plus code for the St. Louis Arch is JRF8+V3 St. Louis, Missouri

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 31, 2020

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Tei posted:

But there's no correlation or locality. wacky wombat footer is next to purple monkey dishwasher, unlike those stodgy systems where 1293 Oak Lane is in somewhat close proximity to 1295 Oak Lane. And sure you can memorize your 3 words, but to answer a question like "Oh, is that close to 19th/Lincoln" would require thousands to capture a modest city.

The words don't mean anything without access to their proprietary system. Lat/Long might suck but multiple places will translate that to a street address.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

Lat/Long might suck but multiple places will translate that to a street address.

I mean, you can also translate three words to an address, no?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Thermopyle posted:

I mean, you can also translate three words to an address, no?
I'm under the impression we're specifically talking about this 3-word-to-point-on-globe solution:

CPColin posted:

Can you tell me where softly.snap.funded is without using their service? I certainly can't. How far is it from goes.stop.lung?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Oh, I found the actual site for plus codes.

quote:

Nearby places have similar codes, and the code structure allows grouping areas together. The code gives the equivalent of the street name and number. Additional information like floor, suite, etc. can be provided as per the local convention.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

I'm under the impression we're specifically talking about this 3-word-to-point-on-globe solution:

Can you tell me where softly.snap.funded is without using their service? I certainly can't. How far is it from goes.stop.lung?

Well, I didn't mean you could or couldn't right now, I just meant there's no theoretical reason a three-words-esque system can't also have the property of latitude/longitude...aka converting from code to regular street address.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

JawnV6 posted:

But there's no correlation or locality. wacky wombat footer is next to purple monkey dishwasher, unlike those stodgy systems where 1293 Oak Lane is in somewhat close proximity to 1295 Oak Lane.

That's true in the US, but not necessarily for addresses everywhere. Have you seen how Japan does it?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Thermopyle posted:

Well, I didn't mean you could or couldn't right now, I just meant there's no theoretical reason a three-words-esque system can't also have the property of latitude/longitude...aka converting from code to regular street address.
My point was about multiple providers being able to do lat/long to address translation and you keep glossing over that requirement? There's no correlation or locality in the current 3words system and it's not clear to me you'd get the properties they wanted with a hierarchical representation. If "softly." is the west coast and the 2 other words can be understood as indexes into that space we've built a really wonky ZIP+4.

More to the point, the current implementation requires folks route through their proprietary service and the business wouldn't survive if others could duplicate their lookup. They're incentivized to avoid anything that would make it human-usable without their direct involvement.

Kilson posted:

That's true in the US, but not necessarily for addresses everywhere. Have you seen how Japan does it?
I forget if I'm supposed to be representing lat/long representations, which are probably very similar in Japan, or All Street Addressing, in which case I reject the comparison to Japan's number-as-you-build system and would rather discuss Costa Rica where I got directions beginning with "from where the big tree used to be."

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

No it's not. (arguably at least)

I was being snarky.

Realistically a three word type system would be fine if:
1. there was real wide spread (international) adoption
and
2. similar words actually got grouped together so you could easily tell a region once you got used to it

at that linked site, adjacent squares have totally unrelated word sets

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Xerophyte posted:

Let's think practically here: developers should have their own private WLAN band.

ill play bass

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/oegerikus/status/1222965666078023680

Interesting replies.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tei posted:

You misspelled monetize (the real goal of what3words).

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
The bigger problem is that I shouldn’t have to provide my physical address, which is private and can change, to so many companies.

What we need is a virtualized address system where I’m assigned a constant and opaque address that maps to my current physical address, and only entities I’ve given permission (like delivery companies) can do the lookup.

Yes, I realize this is a pipe dream.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Adhemar posted:

The bigger problem is that I shouldn’t have to provide my physical address, which is private and can change, to so many companies.

What we need is a virtualized address system where I’m assigned a constant and opaque address that maps to my current physical address, and only entities I’ve given permission (like delivery companies) can do the lookup.

Yes, I realize this is a pipe dream.

Actually it's a PO box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm learning scheme for some reason and wrote a small thing to iterate through a file line by line and it hangs in one implementation (chicken scheme) but not in another (guile). Computers are cool