Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/CharlesRollet1/status/1223238581088444417

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

alphabettitouretti posted:

Let's just wall off the north like in Doomsday.

That wouldn’t matter since they flew into gatwick or Heathrow RIP the people on that train.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
E: video was posted above

just a bit of lighthearted intrusive surveillance, it's all quite good fun really

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is loving creepy as gently caress.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my guess is that this disease is pretty widely spreading already but most people don't have severe symptoms, apparently under 0.5% of infected middle aged people have died and even fewer younger people so it's basically just another way for pneumonia to hit older people. seems pretty possible it will just become a disease we see every year

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Long term, I expect this to be far more disruptive for any country that isn’t China.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

This is loving creepy as gently caress.

Lmao the lovely remarks are priceless.

I assume wearing a mask when you're alone in a field in a rural area is completely pointless, and it's just a pretext to train people to obey drones ?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I knew it !

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

stephenthinkpad posted:

Swine Flu is a pretty cool name.

Spanish Flu is too racist

SARS never got a cool name.

nCoV should be called "The Bat Soup"

MERS is also called 'camel flu' which is a pretty cool name.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Turns out the drones were assembled by infected slaves and spread xi's bat plague everytime the rotors are on, ooops

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Drones yelling at you to wash your hands should be posted outside all bathrooms.

30yr old basement dwellers everywhere just got the most exercise they've ever had in a rush to show this to their parents.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Have a coworker flying out to South Korea. Looks like I'll be working remotely for a few weeks when he gets back and infects us all..

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
France flew home some stranded citizens and one of them has symptoms, nice

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Can't wait for the fallout of all these modern remakes of the "let's kill all the sparrows that eat our seeds" Chinese smart brains politics.

Like im 100 percent sure there's gonna be a lot of really dumb things coming out over the next years.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Son of Rodney posted:

Can't wait for the fallout of all these modern remakes of the "let's kill all the sparrows that eat our seeds" Chinese smart brains politics.

Like im 100 percent sure there's gonna be a lot of really dumb things coming out over the next years.

Remember the gbs thread about kudzu back in the day

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
not wearing a flu mask: -100 sesame credits
can't find a flu mask? gently caress you -500 sesame credits

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Son of Rodney posted:

They are talking about banning wild animal food market permanently.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Its only caused like 6 epidemics. Seems like an over-reaction if you ask me.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Sometimes all it takes to affect change is a small fissure. Maybe banning wild animal sales will contribute to the decline of TCM too as younger generations cling less and less to insane "cultural" behaviors, if you can tolerate using the word "culture" for things like eating dead bats and snorting powdered tiger dicks.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Do not travel, bitches:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/china-travel-advisory.html

Lots of lost face here, as this basically says that China is on the same level of safety as the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
China - Level 4: Do Not Travel

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

IT BURNS posted:

Do not travel, bitches:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/china-travel-advisory.html

Lots of lost face here, as this basically says that China is on the same level of safety as the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa.

The travel tips in some of the Level 4 country advisories are A+ reading.

The first one in the North Korea one is "make sure you have drafted a will".

One of the ones in the Central African Republic one is "designate a family member in advance to be a contact person for the media, NGOs and members of Congress in the event you are taken hostage". Also "leave a DNA sample with your doctor in case it's, um, needed later on."

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
I mean, I wouldn't be against eating bats. As long as they were cooked safely. Seems like is about as dangerous eating any mammal within an evolutionary stone toss of ourselves. Just wait when Japan gets their dolphin/whale flu.

Bugs are still my cyberpunk dystopian food of choice though.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Its only caused like 6 epidemics. Seems like an over-reaction if you ask me.

"I bought some koala meat there, and it gave my family SARS! If I could rate it 0 stars I would!!"

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Suspect A posted:

I mean, I wouldn't be against eating bats. As long as they were cooked safely. Seems like is about as dangerous eating any mammal within an evolutionary stone toss of ourselves. Just wait when Japan gets their dolphin/whale flu.

Roasted crickets aren't actually too bad. Just gotta spice 'em right.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Biohazard posted:

Roasted crickets aren't actually too bad. Just gotta spice 'em right.

Exactly my point. This fear mongering about "impure" foods or whatever is silly; unless you're talking about one of those ultra poisonous pufferfish in Japan or something. The problem is unsafe preparation and hunting sickly animals. And China is not known for their food safety standard especially in one of the "markets" it supposedly came from.

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil

e. Stupid video

Suspect A fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 31, 2020

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1223265960414584838

Chalk one up for western medicine!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mozi posted:

my guess is that this disease is pretty widely spreading already but most people don't have severe symptoms, apparently under 0.5% of infected middle aged people have died and even fewer younger people so it's basically just another way for pneumonia to hit older people. seems pretty possible it will just become a disease we see every year

There are a shitload of people being monitored closely but that don't seem to be infected despite exposure. So the issue probably isn't secretly high transmission, it's probably just the difficulty of finding literally every person that an infected person has had close contact with.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i guess we will find out!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Known Lecher posted:

The travel tips in some of the Level 4 country advisories are A+ reading.

The first one in the North Korea one is "make sure you have drafted a will".

One of the ones in the Central African Republic one is "designate a family member in advance to be a contact person for the media, NGOs and members of Congress in the event you are taken hostage". Also "leave a DNA sample with your doctor in case it's, um, needed later on."
Is there a real problem in the CAR with Americans being held hostage?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

unpacked robinhood posted:

China - Level 4: Do Not Travel

New thread title

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Suspect A posted:

Exactly my point. This fear mongering about "impure" foods or whatever is silly; unless you're talking about one of those ultra poisonous pufferfish in Japan or something. The problem is unsafe preparation and hunting sickly animals. And China is not known for their food safety standard especially in one of the "markets" it supposedly came from.

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil

e. Stupid video

I could be wrong (and I probably am), but I think the problem with eating bats is that they tend to carry a lot of nasty poo poo that can jump the barrier to humans more easily that nasty poo poo other animals carry. That said, I'm not going to deny that there's a fair amount of racism when it comes to what people eat and who's considered "dirty" for it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Biohazard posted:

I could be wrong (and I probably am), but I think the problem with eating bats is that they tend to carry a lot of nasty poo poo that can jump the barrier to humans more easily that nasty poo poo other animals carry. That said, I'm not going to deny that there's a fair amount of racism when it comes to what people eat and who's considered "dirty" for it.

Bats are basically the text book example of a virus reservoir so yeah, eating them wildcaught is not a great idea.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

When I was in the Amazon, there was a warning about bats spreading rabies. Luckily I didn't encounter a swarm of bats biting and freaking out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mike12345 posted:

When I was in the Amazon, there was a warning about bats spreading rabies. Luckily I didn't encounter a swarm of bats biting and freaking out.

It's cool knowing that the entire DC Universe is just the insane imagination of a rabies-infected child Bruce Wayne, dying of rabies in a cave

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
I work in health care (as a computer toucher) and we've got our first communications on what to do and where to send people reporting of or being concerned about the virus. No cases locally

Glad we're seemingly ahead of it here

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the plan for people reporting the virus is to send them to Wuhan

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Suspect A posted:

Bats live in giant colonies that act as reallllly good viral incubators.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Bats are like extra filthy flying rats.

But, they are so tasty! :china:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
CSPAM is having a meltdown over people rooting for the virus