Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

big dyke energy posted:

Best cat pee smell remover? Our boy is a stress pisser and we changed some stuff around (furniture rearranged, my partner who is usually home all the time is away house sitting, we have a long term guest rn) and I think he peed under the drat table because every time I go out there I get a whiff of ammonia :mad: he's usually such a good boy about using the box!

Nature's Miracle.

That said if they peed on a rug/carpet its' really hard to get out - it gets really stuck in the backing. One of our cats kept doing that on a rug (not anymore, thank gently caress) and I finally just replaced it with a machine-washable one. If you have carpet... God help you, go replace it with laminate already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Thirding Nature's Miracle.

Dumbfuck had a habit of peeing on one specific door jamb when I first moved into my new place, and it ended up taking about an entire bottle of Nature's Miracle plus putting a book shelf near enough to the spot that he couldn't get a good pee-angle to fix the problem. The wood is still swollen on the bottom of the door frame, but none of the apartment inspectors have noticed, so I'm just gonna hope for the best on that one.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Nature's miracle will make both the thickest cushions and the thinnest sheets stink to high heaven for much longer than it says on the bottle, basically forever. Worse smell than cat pee and fills up an entire room instead of a small area.

After Nature's Miracle, you have to do a second wash of a very strong mix of vinegar/water, and then rinse that out too, if you ever intend for something to smell normal to humans again.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Nature's miracle will make both the thickest cushions and the thinnest sheets stink to high heaven for much longer than it says on the bottle, basically forever. Worse smell than cat pee and fills up an entire room instead of a small area.

If you have to use that much then those things are long gone and not even Nature's Miracle can help.

And I don't know what you're talking about, how does Nature's Miracle make things stink? It just smells like mildly scented soap.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If you have to use that much then those things are long gone and not even Nature's Miracle can help.

And I don't know what you're talking about, how does Nature's Miracle make things stink? It just smells like mildly scented soap.

Yeah, I never found it that offensive? I mean, compared to the smell of cat piss...

Sometimes I use it as a pre-treatment before running the soiled item thru the wash. I don't usually JUST spray something with Nature's Miracle, but it's more of an intermediate step between "normal" cleaning options to really knock down the cat piss odor in particular.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
It's carpet, I live in an apartment, it's a zillion years old and is all nasty and stained anyway. I just don't want it to smell like pee!!

The other places he's peed on the carpet we usually have stuff over, like furniture or storage boxes, just since we moved the furnitures around...I think some of the old spots got uncovered. We had some kind of enzyme cleaner before, but it wasn't Nature's Miracle. It didn't seem to help a ton.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hi young pi babies: nature's miracle is poo poo now. Yall want either ECO or OFF! with enzymes. ECO is the old nature's miracle formula and OFF! works great with my crippled old lady dane who is full of pee some nights.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I got it out of a mattress with some local brand of enzyme cleaner, baking soda, white vinegar, and Febreze. It took a week, but it worked.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

big dyke energy posted:

It's carpet, I live in an apartment, it's a zillion years old and is all nasty and stained anyway. I just don't want it to smell like pee!!

The other places he's peed on the carpet we usually have stuff over, like furniture or storage boxes, just since we moved the furnitures around...I think some of the old spots got uncovered. We had some kind of enzyme cleaner before, but it wasn't Nature's Miracle. It didn't seem to help a ton.

Oof. You may need to call a professional steam cleaning company - and make sure they know about the cat pee so they use enzyme cleaners or they'll just make the smell worse.

Or, well, rip it out and get laminate.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Apartments rarely give you that much leeway in flooring replacement if you’re renting. Which most of the US does.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Natures Miracle does stink. I switched to Anti-Icky-Poo Unscented and that works great.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah that's rental life. Our apartment was due to have its carpet replaced right after we moved in (a friend who used to work in the leasing office told me it's every 5 or 6 years or something), which was probably why they were thrilled to get someone in here so they didn't have to spend the money. We've now been here for 5 years so they saved themselves an entire replacement cycle....yet I guarantee they're still going to try to bill us for it, they always do and bank on the fact that most people won't stand up for themselves and push back.

poo poo's so worn an entire seam is exposed that we have to cover up with a rug so we don't stab our feet on the tack strips, but they won't do anything. Why yes, I'm very much looking to moving later this year and never renting again.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
I had one cat who stress peed. YMMV but for carpet, I found that it took multiple steps: 1) blot it up; 2) Nature's Miracle; 3) shampoo; 4) scrub in some baking soda while it's damp; 5) let it dry and shampoo again; and 6) spritz with more Nature's Miracle. It sounds like a lot, but it goes fast and you need it to get not only the carpet but the padding clean. Good luck!

PS: I bought a Bissell SpotBot years ago and it has been a godsend for cleaning pet errors. (And spilled coffee errors.)

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Sheesh I'm glad my cat only occasionally pukes on the carpet

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Luna peed that one time and it was our fault (my partner was changing the litter boxes and forgot to fill up ONE of them, so of course she had no choice) but she felt so genuinely bad about it that I couldn't be mad at all. Like she walked around with her head down making her very saddest leaky balloon noises for a full day.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Luna peed that one time and it was our fault (my partner was changing the litter boxes and forgot to fill up ONE of them, so of course she had no choice) but she felt so genuinely bad about it that I couldn't be mad at all. Like she walked around with her head down making her very saddest leaky balloon noises for a full day.

Awww :3:

Mine did it as a political statement. Unfortunately, the statement was "Get rid of other cat, don't like him anymore, this household needs to be all about MEEEEEE!!!"

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

My sweet baby apparently has pancreatitis. She developed diabetes very suddenly about a month ago, she wasn't overweight (although very floofy, as evidenced below), very active and healthy. Got her on insulin which helped, but she still seemed lethargic and not quite herself. This morning she didn't want to eat (past few weeks she has been eating like a maniac, which the vet said she's allowed to do), luckily she had an appointment today anyway to be monitored for her insulin levels throughout the day. Still waiting for more information, but the vet said that' s probably what it is, and looking up information, it seems to all line up.

At the moment I'm mostly worried for my sweet baby Shanti, she might be one the most affectionate cats I've ever met, let alone had in my life, it sucks so much to think of her feeling like this. From what I see pancreatitis is generally treatable, but can be difficult to adjust to and requires monitoring because it can come back. Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’m sorry :(
My old cat had pancreatitis. It mostly caused nausea and lack of appetite so she lost a lot of weight. We gave her some anti-nausea meds and some pain medication when she seemed blah and that helped. We eventually just fed her anything she was willing to eat to keep some weight on her. It would go away and then flare up from time to time for the rest of the years she lived.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

TofuDiva posted:

I had one cat who stress peed. YMMV but for carpet, I found that it took multiple steps: 1) blot it up; 2) Nature's Miracle; 3) shampoo; 4) scrub in some baking soda while it's damp; 5) let it dry and shampoo again; and 6) spritz with more Nature's Miracle. It sounds like a lot, but it goes fast and you need it to get not only the carpet but the padding clean. Good luck!

PS: I bought a Bissell SpotBot years ago and it has been a godsend for cleaning pet errors. (And spilled coffee errors.)

Thanks!! I will definitely try the baking soda thing on top of the Nature's Miracle stuff. Thankfully(??) his chosen pee spot is right next to our patio door so it should be able to air out alright.

We've also lived here for 7 years; this carpet is hosed. I just don't want it to reek, and unfortunately anything pricier than a $13 bottle of cleaner is completely out of my reach.

He's usually such a good boy about the box, just when too many things change at once he gets really upset and I didn't think about it until he had already peed :smith: I think he was getting really antsy about our guest living in our living room, where he has all his stuff and usually spends most of his time. I've moved some of his stuff like scratchers and water into my room so he has a 'safe' place to use them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've got the Angry Orange stuff (sold as a concentrate, has to be diluted before being sprayed.) If nothing else, it's nice to follow up with other cleaners to put in a more pleasant citrus smell in place of the chemical smell.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

TofuDiva posted:

Seconding the Spot Bot. My parents got one when their special needs cat kept rubbing his rear end on the carpet after pooping. The only downside is it leaves little round impressions everywhere, since that part of the carpet was always slightly cleaner than the rest after being Spot Bot blasted. They ended up pulling up the carpet a couple renovations back and installed laminate.

ricecult posted:

My sweet baby apparently has pancreatitis. She developed diabetes very suddenly about a month ago, she wasn't overweight (although very floofy, as evidenced below), very active and healthy. Got her on insulin which helped, but she still seemed lethargic and not quite herself. This morning she didn't want to eat (past few weeks she has been eating like a maniac, which the vet said she's allowed to do), luckily she had an appointment today anyway to be monitored for her insulin levels throughout the day. Still waiting for more information, but the vet said that' s probably what it is, and looking up information, it seems to all line up.

Aw, what a sweet land koi :unsmith: My aunt and uncle's cat had full on diabetes and needed insulin shots, and he lived for a good 5 years past the diagnosis. On the other hand, my parents' previously mentioned special needs kitty developed...some kind of pancreas thing. The problem was, he also had whatever condition it is that causes bladder and urethra issues when he got stressed out, and the process of trying to treat him with special food and shots and stuff was too much to deal with :smith: They the vet suggested they him move on because his quality of life was no good anymore. That said, it seems like most of the pancreas conditions are treatable if your kitteh doesn't have some other health bullshit going on.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Woops, read post below.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 1, 2020

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Gaj posted:

Ugh, new month, new kitten problem. 5 month old female, baby canines fell out, gums around molars look red. Shes doing this thing where she chews, nothing really, and it sounds like a crunching sound, or like 2 teeth are grinding against each other She starred at me while doing this and its looks like her teeth are getting caught on themselves. Is this her baby molars falling out at odd angles, her new molars coming in to odd angles?

She is eating and pooping fine, just had her last shots this monday and blood work, everything was fine.

Whoops, well Ill keep this post cause its edited to have a little bit more info.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 1, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean its probably fine and it's just some gross complications from her kitten teeth falling out, but I'd at least call your vet for advice.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean its probably fine and it's just some gross complications from her kitten teeth falling out, but I'd at least call your vet for advice.

MAJOR EDIT: ok she finally let me look into her mouth and ew, one of her bottom molars is nearly pointing sideways with a little bit of dried blood by the gum line. I expect it to fall out in a day.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 1, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Haha, yeah, it's probably fine, unless it's still there and not coming out when the new one is fully out. Either way, like I said, if you're still worried, call your vet for advice.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Took a year and three months, but Tictac (left) and Gigi (right) are finally fine with being around each other. Coming together over the almighty power of sunlight.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hail Satan

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Looking for advice on an old cat (almost 13) losing weight. He's been to the e vet and usual vet, had at least a bleeding ulcer and either irritable bowels or at worst lymphoma. He's still feisty enough to get mad when I give him a pill or his little sister cat bugs him. He drinks water, eats soft treats, wet food, and human chicken and salmon. He's still friendly to us and doesn't hide. Think he's still OK? I feel like if we needed to do something else he'd be quite a bit different. I don't think he is miserable or suffering, I think just the proverbial too old for this poo poo. When my other cats were old (granted, like 16 or 17) they seemed worse off.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Looking for advice on an old cat (almost 13) losing weight. He's been to the e vet and usual vet, had at least a bleeding ulcer and either irritable bowels or at worst lymphoma. He's still feisty enough to get mad when I give him a pill or his little sister cat bugs him. He drinks water, eats soft treats, wet food, and human chicken and salmon. He's still friendly to us and doesn't hide. Think he's still OK? I feel like if we needed to do something else he'd be quite a bit different. I don't think he is miserable or suffering, I think just the proverbial too old for this poo poo. When my other cats were old (granted, like 16 or 17) they seemed worse off.
As another owner of an elderly cat who's been diagnosed with "either IBD or cancer," what worked for us was adding more meds. So my advice is to ask your vet if they think any more changes would help. The strongest indications of problems with our cat were reduced appetite, reduced playfulness, weight loss, and inconsistent bowel movements. She otherwise acted pretty normal but she was slowly starving to death. I didn't know how much of a difference could be made with the right cocktail of medications.

Our vet initially tried metronidazole and prednisolone (plus a cat-friendly antacid to reduce ulcer risk from the pred) to get her bowel movements even semi-formed, but appetite and nutrient absorption didn't stabilize until the vet added anti-nausea meds and weekly B12 injections. Also, many of her meds have different requirements for giving with food/in gel caps/etc. in order to minimize risk of nausea or ulcers, so if your cat is currently on meds, make sure you know how to reduce those risks, too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

We're giving pred two times a day. He was on some other stuff for an ulcer but they said we don't need to give that anymore and he hasn't had bloody barf in a while. He doesn't particularly enjoy getting a pill but when I give treats or food right after he chomps them down.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

ElwoodCuse posted:

We're giving pred two times a day. He was on some other stuff for an ulcer but they said we don't need to give that anymore and he hasn't had bloody barf in a while. He doesn't particularly enjoy getting a pill but when I give treats or food right after he chomps them down.
Pred twice a day sounds pretty intense to me (not a vet) but I'm sure it depends on your dose and the cat. Our 16-pound cat gets pred once a day (5mg) for an autoimmune disorder. Our 7-pound IBD/cancer cat is much lower - pred every other day (2.5mg) for her bowel problems. We tried to stick to the lowest possible dose to get the symptoms under control in both cases. Both of them also get metronidazole to offset complications we encountered with their pred (diarrhea).

Both cats get a cat-safe antacid right before the pred+metronidazole gelcap is shoved down their throats. The goal is to give the antacid time to take effect before the gelcap dissolves and dispenses the pred. Our vet warned us that an early sign of ulcers is a decreased appetite, which we can't risk with the IBD/cancer cat, so that's why the vet recommended the antacid.

One thing I didn't realize when this all started is that cats who have a problem with their small intestine have really poor vitamin absorption. That's why the B12 injections ended up being necessary for our cat, because it's her small intestine that isn't working right. We were doing just pred + metro for a year but she still slowly lost weight because she was in a vicious cycle of not getting enough vitamins through her small intestine. Now that we've found a good drug cocktail for her, she's back to being playful and acts years younger. I wish we'd changed up her meds a lot earlier, so that's why I suggested talking to your vet about more options. Your cat's current state might be his new normal, but it could also just be that his needs aren't fully being met yet.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Fartington Butts posted:

Took a year and three months, but Tictac (left) and Gigi (right) are finally fine with being around each other. Coming together over the almighty power of sunlight.

Hell yeah!

Mine just recently started to get along too. They're at the cat lodge right now while I'm out of town for work and I was a bit hesitant to keep them together in one suite but then I logged in to spy on them the other day and saw this

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

He gets 2.5 MG twice a day. That's on the vet's suggestion. He definitely barfed much less when we started on two a day.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

These two won't cuddle yet and they spat once in a while but finally coexist after about a year.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
My dumb boy had to get most of his teeth pulled, including a lower canine. Most of his teeth were rotten or broken. Thankfully he seems to have mostly recovered, though he's probably been feeling pretty lovely once the painkillers wore off

He's also been sneezing a lot, but hopefully that's a kennel cough he picked up from the vet

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Jackie seems much better. She's adjusted to life on the West Coast for the most part, and shes even gone all the way down from a scary weigh-in of 16.5 pounds in November of 2019, to a weight of 14.4 pounds at the start of February 2020! I'm fairly proud of *both* Jackie and myself. And the weight loss was not a result of loss of appetite, because she certainly does not lack for that. It was much-needed and she is doing better and seems happier.

There was a ton of scary news, though. No cancer they don't think, and the eardrops they gave me (I believe it was more or less an antiseptic and a topical antiobiotic of some kind) seemed to work very well in clearing/cleaning out her right ear canal of whatever crap was stuck in there with the nodule (dead skin cells and wax probably). The nodule itself apparently is now a third the size it was, and is no longer swollen and infected and painful looking - and of course her ear canal is no longer fully blocked so her gait is less derpy and scary, and far more normal. And Jackie is no longer scratching at her ear or shaking her head thank god. I was pretty freaked out.

Jackie is 13 now, and I still don't know how I'll handle it. I'm staying with a very old friend from way back (a goon actually but they don't post much) and it's giving me some perspective on how... erm, absurd my relationship with my cat is. In the words of my friend, who grew up with cats and has had cats and lots of friends with cats, and so forth: "I have truly never seen a cat more ridiculously and absurdly devoted to one person. I'm not even sure what to think about that." I gotta say I was pretty amused by that. Jackie is finally starting to actually spend time (as much as 10 seconds now) with other people sometimes when I'm still in the room, so, progress.

I feel incomplete when I'm home and she's not right next to me, though. I gotta work on that >_<

kaworu fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 4, 2020

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I just adopted a shy little Snowshoe kitten. Wasn’t even aware it’s a type of Siamese cat at the time!

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 5, 2020

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Paperback Writer posted:

I just adopted a shy little Snoeshoe kitten. Wasn’t even aware it’s a type of Siamese cat at the time!

Pics aren't loading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone ever used an automatic vacuum with cats around? I’ve decided to get one because my rear end knows I won’t vacuum more than once a week. I’m looking for a good one to get cat hair and dander (i.e. has a HEPA filter) but isn’t too loud as my cat obviously is not a fan of the vacuum. Any recommendations? Budget is about $300 but am happy to spend less, obviously.