Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

G0RF posted:

The Sandi stuff felt pretty out of bounds

Reporting based on public records is in no way "out of bounds". Public records, sunshine laws, FOIA, and all that sort of thing are how we prevent people from memory holing things they wish everyone else would forget.

If you want to keep your terrible behavior private, then you need to keep it out of the courts.

Edit: legal reportage taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
they've gotta come out swinging for the fences on their roadmap today

like swinging for the fences of the other stadium, roughly 600 miles away kinda swinging

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bofast posted:

That brings me back to that Stage6 site run by DivX back in '06 to '08 where people would upload all kinds of videos. I was able to watch Monty Python while eating breakfast in college :D

You might already know this, but the DIVX he's talking about is different from the DivX you're thinking of.
What he's talking about is the late '90s attempt to create pre-broadband proto-DRM to physical DVD media. It used a phone line to authorize access and was about as successful as you would expect.

ggangensis posted:

Objectively, I think Tie Fighter at the time was the superior space sim, but it did not have Full Motion Video. So with WC3 a decent space sim and a decent movie met, which in times of mediocre or just plain bad FMV-games was big deal.

It also helped that WC3 had 100% more Luke Skywalker than the actual Star Wars game.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 31, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DapperDon posted:

I understand your distaste for diving into someone personally, but can you explain exactly how reporting about the people responsible for the worlds largest crowdfunding game in the world being exposed as liars and less than upstanding people is out of bounds? I would imagine folks would want to know about who exactly they are giving their money to since they decided to make themselves the public face of their project.

Because in the context of that article reporting on their private lives is a dick move?

Your affinity towards strangulation, while a spicy bit of gossip, has nothing to do with your capability to develop the game and lying to protect your spouse is pretty much expected.

There are other magazines and articles for that sort of thing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

JugbandDude posted:

It's also amusing their big highlight is concept art development in year 8 of development. I mean, shouldn't all of this be locked already?

You remember the Bomber Jacket story? Serious question btw.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

Because in the context of that article reporting on their private lives is a dick move?

Your affinity towards strangulation, while a spicy bit of gossip, has nothing to do with your capability to develop the game and lying to protect your spouse is pretty much expected.

I'd agree with this if they were developing this game on their own dime. In that event, nothing else matters and is nobody's business. When you're asking for free money from the general public, the kind of person you are can help the prospective donor decide if they want to take the risk. It's the same reason that finding out that some guy who owns a landscaping company cheated on his wife, which is bullshit personal intrusion into irrelevant information, or why the exact same thing revealed about a public figure like a senator becomes front page news.

Star Citizen isn't a game development company, they're a charity. And the people running that charity are bad news.

For what it's worth, I also think publicly revealing private poo poo about celebrities is also a dick move, and our society has a sick fascination with it. (I mention celebrities because they're a good example of private citizens with a public face, sort of a hybrid of my above examples.) But they're not generally panhandling like the Roberts are.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 31, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

I understand your distaste for diving into someone personally, but can you explain exactly how reporting about the people responsible for the worlds largest crowdfunding game in the world being exposed as liars and less than upstanding people is out of bounds? I would imagine folks would want to know about who exactly they are giving their money to since they decided to make themselves the public face of their project.

It's because it's largely irrelevant to the question at hand. Sandi's pro-asphxyia standpoint, while being entertaining, doesn't impact her ability to pretend to be an executive. Sure, 'public interest' is often cited, but the thinking goes 'who hasn't accidentally gone after a romantic rival with intent to cause harm', which is a standpoint that has some context for the 1950s, but not the modern world.

JugbandDude posted:

It's also amusing their big highlight is concept art development in year 8 of development. I mean, shouldn't all of this be locked already?

The next tier of microtransactions.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Can I file a lawsuit from europe vs crobear and/or cloud imperium scambait because he/them psychologically hurt me and robbed me of my dreams of a decent spacesim?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

mdxi posted:

Reporting based on public records is in no way "out of bounds". Public records, sunshine laws, FOIA, and all that sort of thing are how we prevent people from memory holing things they wish everyone else would forget.

If you want to keep your terrible behavior private, then you need to keep it out of the courts.

I agree with this entirely.
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-florida-rupert-tarsey-20171205-story.html

tl;dr - Broward County Secretary turns out to have a different name when he attended an LA Prep and viciously attacked a classmate with a hammer; plea bargain got him 6 months probation.

OTOH, I know what G0RF was saying because of relevancy. Now if we want to do a piece on cucked old game designers...

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

DapperDon posted:

Agree, though with some measure of self loathing at the depths achieved. That said, any true and or factual information which can help derail the hype train that is funding this monstrosity is worth the cost. Think of the children!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Can I file a lawsuit from europe vs crobear and/or cloud imperium scambait because he/them psychologically hurt me and robbed me of my dreams of a decent spacesim?

Didn't Roberts say this type of stuff would be in the verse?

I mean hell, they are doing prison mechanics. I'll need an attorney.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Today's new schedule is meaningless .

It has been 8 years for a game who's premise is the great struggle against and with aliens across the galaxy.

There are still no drat aliens, not one, not a single stupid alien.

They have a few human pirates that fly around in circles or stand in a line as you mow them down but not a single alien.

Multiple worlds, no fauna not a single alien bit of life other than some literal poo poo you have to collect for some incredibly vague and stupid reason.

They have a turtle! Amazing!

How can anyone at this point not see this glaring omission and ask themselves why am I investing anything into this game.

Let's have Star Wars without the empire, Battlestar Galattica without the Cylons , HALO without Elites, Grunts etc.

"Yay flying around in my x-wing the views sure are beautiful too bad no empire to fight! I hope I can get a drink at the cantina, oh wait there is only one human npc with 12 coats, but the drink physics are amazing! Take my money!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean the schedule is always meaningless

it just needs to be packed full of poo poo because the backers are loosing their minds and they need to restore confidence

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

DapperDon posted:

I didn’t say that, really.

You’ll recall I’ve put out quite a lot of material on the topic of the liars running CIG, including videos like “A Brief History Of Lying” and “The Truth About Squadron 42”. Infographics about 3.0 lies and timelines about Star Marine and quite a bit more.

So yeah, I think Chris deserves to be exposed as a liar, and I’m doing my part.

That said, I personally don’t think much is gained by airing past life police records, or tickle videos, or stuff like that. There’s so much stuff the press ignored and ignores that’s happened since 2012, stuff that bears directly on the company and project. The squandering of monies, unjust enrichment, the bilking of British taxpayers, the toxic workplace, the development dysfunction and lies lies lies to those funding the company.

I feel like they should be held accountable to the public for the trust they’ve abused. There’s enough there to horrify and infuriate for years to come, and it’s still pretty little known. That it remains so is why this monster can keeping bringing in new suckers, keep pouring fortunes into a furnace, and keep enriching dishonest fools while games don’t get made.

Anyway, that’s my $0.02.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I still miss you thread sheriff.

:pilot:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I still miss you thread sheriff.

:pilot:

NO MODS NO MASTERS

monkeytek posted:

Multiple worlds, no fauna not a single alien bit of life other than some literal poo poo you have to collect for some incredibly vague and stupid reason.

Have you heard the good word of No Man's Sky, my son?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"the roadmap is just a wishlist" posts in spectrum are making me lol

everyone going "maybe you should learn game development and project management" are guys in the 890 Jump owners Org, a spaceship that costs $950 to do...I dunno, I dunno what you loving do with it, walk around and look at the loving textures or some poo poo, I don't loving know lol

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

Lol at what the latest “Inside Star Citizen” documented...

This entire segment is one where the subtext drowns out the text. We see Chris (finally!), and what’s he been up to in this time of missed deadlines, worrying roadmaps, and heightening pressures?

He’s doing just what he think he’d be doing— micromanaging fashion concepts for denizens of an upcoming moon. The maestro of micromanagement at work.

Just listen to Lando, laying the groundwork for upcoming bad news. The whole thing is just one big blinking warning light.

Finally, an Inside Star Citizen that tells us what’s really going on lately!

:lol:

Obsessing over the minutiae of costume design for characters in system 1 out of the supposedly planned 100, when the whole project is a complete dumpster fire is just quintessential Chris.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

"the roadmap is just a wishlist" posts in spectrum are making me lol

everyone going "maybe you should learn game development and project management" are guys in the 890 Jump owners Org, a spaceship that costs $950 to do...I dunno, I dunno what you loving do with it, walk around and look at the loving textures or some poo poo, I don't loving know lol

if it's a wishlist, where's the roadmap?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Inacio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDIK644y6bg

Doesn't look as polished as Starbase, but it's yet another large scale space game that has actual gameplay systems AND can have more than 3 players per server.

I think it sucks that every single one of these games seems to turn into Ark as it matures. Do people really enjoy menu after menu after menu full of sliders and floating points? Do they enjoy them so much that they'll overlook bad graphics and jank rear end netcode? It sure seems like it.

Just let me build cool looking spaceships and fly them around smoothly, goddamn it. That's all I want!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

I mean the schedule is always meaningless

it just needs to be packed full of poo poo because the backers are loosing their minds and they need to restore confidence

Prediction:

They're going to do nothing, and they're going to be rewarded for it

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
like seriously anyone defending this on Spectrum, every single account I looked at, has at least $5k "invested" into star citizen, making them completely and totally objective with their opinions, I'm sure

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

I think it sucks that every single one of these games seems to turn into Ark as it matures. Do people really enjoy menu after menu after menu full of sliders and floating points? Do they enjoy them so much that they'll overlook bad graphics and jank rear end netcode? It sure seems like it.

Just let me build cool looking spaceships and fly them around smoothly, goddamn it. That's all I want!

Starbase seems to be the best bet for that

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

trucutru posted:

It is in no way a dick move. Don't want folks finding out your dumb poo poo, don't put yourself in the cross-hairs of media attention. It's not a new concept. But I see you are fine with allowing the stewards of hundreds of millions of dollars being given a hall pass to lie.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
On games that exist, I'm really enjoying Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus.

I'm not a huge fan of Warhammer 40k, yet the over the top culture makes me chuckle. Going past that, the game itself has great design and engaging leveling/combat mechanics.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

G0RF posted:

Nobody really knows. She could’ve bugged out for her own reasons or could still be there, just not on camera.
Okay, so I think we can go ahead and dismiss this theory...

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hav posted:

It's because it's largely irrelevant to the question at hand. Sandi's pro-asphxyia standpoint, while being entertaining, doesn't impact her ability to pretend to be an executive. Sure, 'public interest' is often cited, but the thinking goes 'who hasn't accidentally gone after a romantic rival with intent to cause harm', which is a standpoint that has some context for the 1950s, but not the modern world.

The next tier of microtransactions.

It is completely relevant as it puts of full display the level of character and integrity of the people actively taking in public money on good faith of their abilities or lack thereof. Folks should know BEFOREHAND what kind of person they are giving money to. You wouldn't have a problem with it if it was Jeffrey Dahmer wanting to kickstart a food truck now wouldn't you?

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

To give an outside perspective, I was never into flight or space sim games as a kid, and even I heard a lot about how good the X-Wing games were, particularly Tie Fighter. I think I might have heard the name Wing Commander a few times, but all I knew about it was that it was that game with the weird cat guys.

Yeah, I've sunk some serious hours into Tie Fighter CD as a child. Playing for the empire was awesome, the plot in general was awesome and the missions were really challenging, atmospheric and well thought out.
The flying itself felt really fluid and the energy management gave some strategic depth. I've played Tie Fighter before Wing Commander, though for the exact same reasons as you.

Nonetheless, I've wanted to try out Wing Commander 3 because my younger self thought that full motion video was cool (well, and it was for a while) and something with that pseudo-militaristic style and the whole "lone carrier vs. the cat people" resonated with me. I've actually enjoyed most of the story, but after playing that many hours Tie Fighter I was a bit bummed how simplistic and wooden the actual gameplay felt. I mean, yeah, they've had texture mapping, but it just did not feel as fluid and fast-paced as Tie Fighter did. The mission design also felt a lot more simple than the ones from Tie Fighter where chasing some shuttle with max power to throttle and just enough energy for the lasers to maintain charge, while some A-Wings are approaching, underlined with that iMuse music, was pretty awesome.

So in the end I think WC3 was a decent FMV-title with solid gameplay, but certainly nothing to give a man 250 million dollars to re-heat that formula.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Hav posted:

NO MODS NO MASTERS

Have you heard the good word of No Man's Sky, my son?

Can you imagine how fast the SC engine would melt if they tried procedural alien generation :giggle:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

G0RF posted:

I didn’t say that, really.

You’ll recall I’ve put out quite a lot of material on the topic of the liars running CIG, including videos like “A Brief History Of Lying” and “The Truth About Squadron 42”. Infographics about 3.0 lies and timelines about Star Marine and quite a bit more.

So yeah, I think Chris deserves to be exposed as a liar, and I’m doing my part.

That said, I personally don’t think much is gained by airing past life police records, or tickle videos, or stuff like that. There’s so much stuff the press ignored and ignores that’s happened since 2012, stuff that bears directly on the company and project. The squandering of monies, unjust enrichment, the bilking of British taxpayers, the toxic workplace, the development dysfunction and lies lies lies to those funding the company.

I feel like they should be held accountable to the public for the trust they’ve abused. There’s enough there to horrify and infuriate for years to come, and it’s still pretty little known. That it remains so is why this monster can keeping bringing in new suckers, keep pouring fortunes into a furnace, and keep enriching dishonest fools while games don’t get made.

Anyway, that’s my $0.02.

There is in fact much to be gained from it. It puts a factual display of the type of person that is sitting there actively lying to people and profiting from it. No amount of efforposting or blog stating all of the technical bullshit is going to do a single thing to put a pause in their step. You should know, you and Derek have been doing it for years to no avail. But the moment Forbes shows up with the receipts and suddenly "POOF" Chris AND Sandy are gone. Now ask yourself why Forbes was successful and what exactly your approach does other than provide for good reading? I'm not knocking you G-Man but to say it's out of bounds and nobody should ever do it is just plain false.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

ggangensis posted:

My bet is that Sandi is just no longer in the mood for SC. She carried enough money away and never liked geeky space-neckbeards to begin with. She now lives in a 5 million dollar mansion with enough money for the rest of her live. So why bother anymore?

I don't know, my impression of Sandi is that she's addicted to idea becoming a Hollywood big shot actor. I can't picture her giving that up, even if she gets enough money to live the Hollywood lifestyle she's always wanted, it won't be enough. She want's the fame more than anything.

ggangensis posted:

Chris is obviously in over his head. He is fleeing into designing clothes for some moon inhabitants. What he should do instead is having a long, long talk with his engineering team (if CIG still has something like this). In this talk, Chris should say nothing but listen. And listen carefully. After that, they should come up with a clear idea of what can be salvaged, and if that means that the PU needs to die, so be it. With his funding model, this won't happen, though, so he sticks to superficial poo poo like moon clothing.

Yep, Chris is really obviously bikeshedding at this point.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

DapperDon posted:

It is in no way a dick move. Don't want folks finding out your dumb poo poo, don't put yourself in the cross-hairs of media attention. It's not a new concept. But I see you are fine with allowing the stewards of hundreds of millions of dollars being given a hall pass to lie.

I see his point though. I realize that in TYOOL 2020 there are only correct and incorrect opinions, but in my old age I have the privilege of falling back to a time when people judged each case on its own merit. (This time never happened, but pretending things were better in the past is another privilege I enjoy invoking.) Personal lives and predilections generally do not have bearing on professional competence, and is more suited to tabloid fodder than professional reporting. But the Star Citizen case is a partial exception specifically because Chris is attempting to extract wealth from others, with his personal accomplishments and predilections as his bond. Had more people known what kind of person/people they were throwing money at, this entirely predictable debacle could have been avoided entirely.

For this specific example, I would provide the following example of where I personally draw my line: Chris failing over and over, the Kevin Costner suit, and his track record of epic failure and taking credit for work that is not his, all that is on the table. Strangli's evil (however hilarious) is not on the table. The evident nepotism in her hire and position and her lack of ability to perform her job is. The attempt to paint her former traits as evidence of her inability to perform the job seemed to be the angle Forbes was taking, but it really doesn't work like that. If sociopathic behavior was a disqualifier for running a company there would be very few companies left. It would have been more effective to focus on her professional (lack of) acumen.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It took around 7 years to get females in the game.

Turtles are going to take longer.

Early days.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

It took around 7 years to get females in the game.

Turtles are going to take longer.

Early days.

I thought we already had screenshots of turtles in game?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I thought we already had screenshots of turtles in game?

Eh crap, you might be right. Are they using the invented alien language?

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

DapperDon posted:

There is in fact much to be gained from it. It puts a factual display of the type of person that is sitting there actively lying to people and profiting from it. No amount of efforposting or blog stating all of the technical bullshit is going to do a single thing to put a pause in their step. You should know, you and Derek have been doing it for years to no avail. But the moment Forbes shows up with the receipts and suddenly "POOF" Chris AND Sandy are gone. Now ask yourself why Forbes was successful and what exactly your approach does other than provide for good reading? I'm not knocking you G-Man but to say it's out of bounds and nobody should ever do it is just plain false.

True, and a bit of dirty laundry about the people who scammed ~250 million dollar out of some gullible nerds, well, it seems like a small price to pay for them.

Viscous Soda posted:

I don't know, my impression of Sandi is that she's addicted to idea becoming a Hollywood big shot actor. I can't picture her giving that up, even if she gets enough money to live the Hollywood lifestyle she's always wanted, it won't be enough. She want's the fame more than anything.

I would have agreed to that, but I suspect that after the Forbes article, her less than stellar acting credits and plain and simple her age, she realized that these Hollywood dreams are over. With this realization there is no incentive left to associate herself with CIG/SQ42 or that whole space-nerd-thingie she couldn't care less about in the first place.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dementropy posted:

"Star Citizen helped me through a breakup"

:reddit:

"That was smart on you. Star Citizen is superior to having a girlfriend. I personally almost starting dating this semi attractive lady from Philadelphia until I picked up my 890 Jump. Best decision of my life!"

"It's cheaper too. And the betrayals are a lot more predictable. :P

The key is to find the right woman, then get her into SC too!"

"cheers brother it will get better! in the meantime lose yourself in the verse! and treat yourself to a nice pair of flight sticks or a shiny new ship! o7 !"

Can't wait for this guy to regret this years from now as a potential actual life companionship he could have had and traded it in for a video game dlc that never delivered to his expectations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

It is completely relevant as it puts of full display the level of character and integrity of the people actively taking in public money on good faith of their abilities or lack thereof. Folks should know BEFOREHAND what kind of person they are giving money to. You wouldn't have a problem with it if it was Jeffrey Dahmer wanting to kickstart a food truck now wouldn't you?

Famous phrase over here is 'caveat emptor' or buyer beware, which means that if you really want to know how your money is going to be spent, you need to do your own research, because Shell's not going to be upfront about employing kinetically assisted resettlement specialists because there's no compulsion.

Now, if Dahmer had started a really successful pie business and floated that on the stock market, would his actions as a murderous cannibal affect his ability to produce some really excellent pork pies? Would stockholders be required to know about the contents of his fridge at home? Where am I going with any of this?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DapperDon posted:

There is a billion things you can report on in your serious magazine that they didn't mention that are much more damming for the project than the strangli incident. That they choose to hit low is the dick part.

To whom is the piece addressed? To presumably sophisticated potential investors I think. So why talk about domestic bullshit instead of many other examples of crap they have been lying about and that are an integral part of the project?

I'm not giving a hall pass to lie, I just consider that sort of thing fairly irrelevant, specially when there is a lot of bullshit they are getting away with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

Lol at what the latest “Inside Star Citizen” documented...

This entire segment is one where the subtext drowns out the text. We see Chris (finally!), and what’s he been up to in this time of missed deadlines, worrying roadmaps, and heightening pressures?

He’s doing just what he think he’d be doing— micromanaging fashion concepts for denizens of an upcoming moon. The maestro of micromanagement at work.

Just listen to Lando, laying the groundwork for upcoming bad news. The whole thing is just one big blinking warning light.

Finally, an Inside Star Citizen that tells us what’s really going on lately!

Stuff like this always is the best content.

It's like knowing your project is utterly failing, on the cusp of defying billionaire investors with addition delays. Knowing your support populations is getting weary.

And this is what you focus on. :)

Not gameplay, or anything people want. It's npc fashion. :)

There is no :) big enough for how this game is a project management travesty.