Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm not familiar with this acronym, which book is this?

The Horror Recognition Guide, a book of short stories presented as a bundle of documents found in the world of Hunter: the Vigil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Basically, they're government agents who arrest supernatural critters who break the law.

And they have low key psychic powers.
to the best of my understanding, Special Agent Francis York Morgan Call Me York That's What Everyone Calls Me is a prime media example of a VASCU agent

I Am Just a Box posted:

ACAB, but VASCU cops are that special fictional cop who really cares about rights and civil procedures. They're an office of Dale Coopers and Francis York Morgans.
:yeah: although you really should've used Morgan's full name.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/wwpublishing/status/1222883237745217539?s=20

There's no section for miscellaneous opinions except for an "other" box about why you don't play WoD towards the end, so I didn't get to tell them I haven't tried V5 because of all the bullshit swede dracula pulled.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

That survey was wild for me, as someone who listens to rpg actual play podcasts, watches hours of twitch streams and vods of video games every week, and would choose the bullet if you made me watch a twitch stream of a ttrpg actual play with a gun to my head.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Soonmot posted:

https://twitter.com/wwpublishing/status/1222883237745217539?s=20

There's no section for miscellaneous opinions except for an "other" box about why you don't play WoD towards the end, so I didn't get to tell them I haven't tried V5 because of all the bullshit swede dracula pulled.

Also no “why did you stop playing world of darkness” option for “play chronicles instead”

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

That survey was wild for me, as someone who listens to rpg actual play podcasts, watches hours of twitch streams and vods of video games every week, and would choose the bullet if you made me watch a twitch stream of a ttrpg actual play with a gun to my head.

Yeah, and it was very long. But they didn't seem interested in what I wanted, just what I did.

If they could only figure out that to make it more relevant these days, they have to stop bringing all the lovely baggage along and stop creating new lovely baggage, they might actually have decent bones to tell interesting, political, social, and scary stories.

But it's been almost 20 years since Requiem came out and they still haven't figured it out so I won't hold out hope.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I also attributed my V5 apathy to all the alt right poo poo.

It was also pretty strange that White Wolf seems to be treating nWoD like a revision of oWoD, at least in the survey's presentation. That's never ever been what it was.

Also "how much representation of social issues do you want?" was a loaded, bad question. Yeah I think trans NPCs are good, unless hateful shitheads write them as an attack in a weird personal vendetta. There's a lot of conversation to have about immigration , but don't portray refugee children as ISIL child soldier sleeper agents.

I mean, come the gently caress on Nü White Wolf. Thanks for reminding me why we broke up.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
V5 is a great system and everything any of yall had against it could be written away or made irrelevant if you had any creativity (because the meta plot doesn't matter)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Metapod posted:

V5 is a great system and everything any of yall had against it could be written away or made irrelevant if you had any creativity (because the meta plot doesn't matter)
How do we write you away

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

How do we write you away

Put em in ignore?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Metapod posted:

"Buy this book to ignore most of and rewrite the rest because it's the product of garbage edgelords with trash opinions."

Gee, when you put it that way $60USD is a bargain!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
You buy the book because it gives you a great rule set and optional world setting that allows you to to put more time into how do I make my game fun and less about world building

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'm like 15 pages into this survey and I haven't been asked a single question about TTRPGs other than that I know they exist, this survey sucks.

Can we maybe organize a voting situation where we subtly nudge WoD towards a full impact MOBA style game with Twitch broadcast endorsed by Monster because I feel like that's what they're asking about.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Metapod posted:

how do I make my game fun and less about world building

Oh that one's easy, you just skip it and play a game that isn't built on a reprehensible world-view.

Like literally any other version of Vampire.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mendrian posted:

I'm like 15 pages into this survey and I haven't been asked a single question about TTRPGs other than that I know they exist, this survey sucks.

Can we maybe organize a voting situation where we subtly nudge WoD towards a full impact MOBA style game with Twitch broadcast endorsed by Monster because I feel like that's what they're asking about.
See, I felt like they were pushing respondents towards more actual play streams, more in-person events, and maybe like, a Hearthstone-alike based on VtES? At least based on the sub-questions I got.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It was pretty cool to see VtES in there, but 90% of the experience would die on a tablet app.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Metapod posted:

Okay, but both versions of nWoD are better than V5.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

moths posted:

It was pretty cool to see VtES in there, but 90% of the experience would die on a tablet app.

Vtes would be a pretty different game without players trying to constantly bullshit each other. Sometimes I feel people focus on negotiating too much, at least in the EU meta.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

See, I felt like they were pushing respondents towards more actual play streams, more in-person events, and maybe like, a Hearthstone-alike based on VtES? At least based on the sub-questions I got.

I mean you're interpretation is more reasonable and less knee-jerk than mine so you're probably right but

I got asked 3 separate questions about my feelings on microtransactions. I got asked which streams I watch before I was asked anything relevant about the WoD brand. It's just a very 'how do I use this brand' survey rather than, 'what do you like about WoD' survey and as a I fan my first response is gently caress this, I'm not your product.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Metapod posted:

Yeah V5 is really fun, good, inclusive, and stream lined. Having played every edition including revised, v20 and requiem, theres simply no edition that is as much fun. So theres no point in arguing with people who never actually play a vampire tabletop.

I do really appreciate the creative v5 goons like the guy who made the Code-E loresheet

Edit: also hunger dice are one of the best mechanics in any vampire game. Its awesome to have blood levels matter instead of being a mana pool

Oberst fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 31, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah that loresheet was cool

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Also at whichever guy was hating on vampire live streams I would suggest watching LA By Night. Erica ishii and the whole cast are just so good and Jason carl is an amazing ST I try to emulate

Oberst
May 24, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Have you played v5? I think most old man requiem players would enjoy it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Remember when we weren't going to evangelize V5? Wasn't that nice?

E: I've got serious loving problems with it, and you sealioning in to accuse me of being "uncreative" for not wanting to DIY massive workarounds doesn't make me or anyone else want to go throw money at your pwecious misunderstood game.

It's patronizing. Rehabilitating that bomb is way beyond the scope of this or any other thread.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 31, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

moths posted:

what does this mean?

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

MonsieurChoc posted:

Eh, I'd say V5 is fairly comparable to 1st edition nWoD, especially in it's earlier days (mechanics wise, not the tryhard edginess). It's a mechanical step up and has a few new decent add ons, but on the whole it's still kludgy 90s era mechanics with a facelift. It doesn't really have a voice of its own at this point.

The feedback in my group to V5 was weirdly near-identical to when we first ran V:tR in the early 2000s. "Mechanics are okay, got rid of some of the absurd combat combos but now combat is kind of muddled and confusing, not sure why we would switch to this rather than just crib a few neat ideas on to the big pile of books we already own". They're much more into nWod now that the games have their own voice and do their own thing. I guess we'll see whether Modiphius can get V5 there down the road or not.

Desiden fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 31, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Oberst posted:

Edit: also hunger dice are one of the best mechanics in any vampire game. Its awesome to have blood levels matter instead of being a mana pool

Like a lot of the changes V5 is praised for, i'm pretty sure that's also cribbed from Requiem as an optional rule. 1e had optional rules for a whole lot of stuff.

I might be misremembering it but a heck of a lot of other stuff is pretty similar to Requiem in v5 now too so :shrug:.

Shame too. With V5 acting as the elephant in the room as far as Vampire goes it makes me wonder if we're ever going to get more novels or in character books like in 1e. Stuff like the Chicago novels and anything with Frances Black was pretty fantastic to read. The novels by Greg Stolze in particular were fantastic and could probably stand on their own if they had been written independent of VtR.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 31, 2020

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Desiden posted:

“Mechanics are okay, got rid of some of the absurd combat combos but now combat is kind of muddled and confusing, not sure why we would switch to this rather than just crib a few neat ideas on to the big pile of books we already own".

I’m curious what the combos are

Agreed that a lot of the combat details being left to GM ruling can get confusing, especially the few times the book is strict about rules.

But like I’ve never really enjoyed any combat in any system I’ve played so I can’t even point to a good example to steal from

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Desiden posted:

Eh, I'd say V5 is fairly comparable to 1st edition nWoD, especially in it's earlier days (mechanics wise, not the tryhard edginess). It's a mechanical step up and has a few new decent add ons, but on the whole it's still kludgy 90s era mechanics with a facelift. It doesn't really have a voice of its own at this point.

I think this a fair and earnest assessment from someone who actually plays the games.

I do believe there are legacy issues that still exist, but to me it's a step up from requiem. The game needs more books and with the actual release of V5 Chicago this should improve

Also I forgot to kickstart the blood gods book oops

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Metapod posted:

what does this mean?

It means shut up and go away.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Also no “why did you stop playing world of darkness” option for “play chronicles instead”

That's where I clicked other and put it, "Moved to Chronicles." But I thought there would have been a "do you have anything else you wish to tell us" box at the end where I would put an expanded explanation.

moths posted:

E: I've got serious loving problems with it, and you sealioning in to accuse me of being "uncreative" for not wanting to DIY massive workarounds doesn't make me or anyone else want to go throw money at your pwecious misunderstood game.

It's patronizing. Rehabilitating that bomb is way beyond the scope of this or any other thread.

Put Oberst and Metapod on ignore, they contribute nothing of value to the thread and we have other people who play V5 and report their experiences without being apologists.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 31, 2020

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Archonex posted:

Like a lot of the changes V5 is praised for, i'm pretty sure that's also cribbed from Requiem as an optional rule. 1e had optional rules for a whole lot of stuff.

I might be misremembering it but a heck of a lot of other stuff is pretty similar to Requiem in v5 now too so :shrug:.

Shame too. With V5 acting as the elephant in the room as far as Vampire goes it makes me wonder if we're ever going to get more novels or in character books like in 1e. Stuff like the Chicago novels and anything with Frances Black was pretty fantastic to read. The novels by Greg Stolze in particular were fantastic and could probably stand on their own if they had been written independent of VtR.

And that's fine! I'm glad v5 is building on requiem and has inspiration from it. The reactionary edition war stuff is weird. Just seems to be cyclical each edition change. Iircthe goth kids in HS doing editions wars in the early 00s about requiem/revised

E: Hell you cant do requiem for rome in v5 and that's like the sickest camp ever

Oberst fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 31, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MollyMetroid posted:

It means shut up and go away.

why are you being overly aggressive to people who don't share the same game opinion as you

Oberst
May 24, 2010

GNU Order posted:

Agreed that a lot of the combat details being left to GM ruling can get confusing, especially the few times the book is strict about rules.

But like I’ve never really enjoyed any combat in any system I’ve played so I can’t even point to a good example to steal from

Yeah I think that's a universal symptom of tabletops

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Soonmot posted:

That's where I clicked other and put it, "Moved to Chronicles." But I thought there would have been a "do you have anything else you wish to tell us" box at the end where I would put an expanded explanation.

Put Oberst and Metapod on ignore, they contribute nothing of value to the thread and we have other people who play V5 and report their experiences without being apologists.

what am i apologizing for?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oberst posted:

from someone who actually plays the games.

I'm going to charitably assume you're not intentionally being condescending as gently caress with this poo poo.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I don’t think it’s fair to call Requiem to V5 an ‘edition change’ - Requiem is still supported and has some fundamentally different mechanical assumptions, in particular the clans. OWoD clans-as-high school-subcultures has less than no appeal to me, while clans as type of vampire story from Requiem are just a much more usable framework.

E: and that is mechanical, not just meta plot - it’s built into character creation.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I don’t think it’s fair to call Requiem to V5 an ‘edition change’ - Requiem is still supported and has some fundamentally different mechanical assumptions, in particular the clans. OWoD clans-as-high school-subcultures has less than no appeal to me, while clans as type of vampire story from Requiem are just a much more usable framework.

E: and that is mechanical, not just meta plot - it’s built into character creation.
Yeah, CoD and WoD aren't "edition changes" because you don't usually go "ok here's an entirely different universe and set of assumptions, everything is different, the names and the things they name are different, and only get further divergent from the thing that was published before it as the years and books mount. OKAY now what if we went back to the old groups and settings and picked up on the past plot threads only, go!"

Unless it's like...whatever's going on with Warhammer / Age of Sigmar stuff, maybe. But definitely not CoD and WoD.

Hell, the *20 games to V5 aren't really even linear editions.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

GNU Order posted:

"Combos" was probably a bad way to phrase it. "Certain powers being must haves" would be better. Toning down celerity being the big one, but to a lesser degree potence and fortitude as well. Broadly, just avoiding powers that let you break the action economy easily, or otherwise render someone unable to defend in any meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
V5's issues are more than just mechanical, Oberst. You need to stop dismissing peoples concerns about it by claiming they aren't real gamers or that they haven't actually played V5. I played the game, and while I'll agree that it does make some mechanical improvements it also backslides in a lot of ways that hamper actual gameplay, and our ST had to cut out large parts of the sample adventure to avoid the whole pedophilia subplot, which was extremely gross.

Metapod posted:

Like, the only thing that the old world of darkness has going for it over CofD is the metaplot, if you're cleaving that away as irrelevant or unimportant why the hell are you playing V5 instead of literally anything else?