Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

So what exactly happens to Northern Ireland after tonight?

Floats away into the atlantic ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chuka Umana posted:

Defaults to the previous owner before the Crown.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
:toot: its independence day let's independance

i don't wanna close my eeeyees - wait no, that's the other one. the one where some idiot americans went gung-ho drilling for oil on the moon or something?

at least it's been got done. time for healing and stuff

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Chuka Umana posted:

far as I'm aware the transition period is "literally nothing changes" (except us having no say in the EU rules we're aligned with)

so immediately, nothing? and at the end of december, alignment with various EU rules, EU officials being the authority on implementation, any GB divergence requiring regulatory burdens... so in the meantime, something???

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Is this why my buses to and from work today were unusually quiet?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Henry 1000

Or Henry Jr Jr Jr Jr Jr Jr Jr

I believe you mean Hank Jr Jr Jr Jr III

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Re violence talk, I've always wondered how many of those who advocate for campaigns of sustained political violence have ever held a gun, served in military/police/, have experienced gang violence in any form or have any experience in routine, methodical, day to day, cold application of physical harm towards other human beings.

Not saying that lack of such experiences invalidates opinions on eating the rich/royalty/etc, but I can't help but feel that advocates of violence really don't quite fully understand what they are advocating for or just how ugly it can get on a personal level. Even if the intentions are pure and noble.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

baka kaba posted:

far as I'm aware the transition period is "literally nothing changes" (except us having no say in the EU rules we're aligned with)

so immediately, nothing? and at the end of december, alignment with various EU rules, EU officials being the authority on implementation, any GB divergence requiring regulatory burdens... so in the meantime, something???

i heard they're issuing shiny irish EU passports to any british subject they can get hold of. exactly like putin does in ukraine

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
bet next they'll make a time-limited blue edition for converts, with bonuses for recruiting a friend

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Number of Brits applying for Swedish citizenship increased by 300%. Did you fuckers Brexit yet?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Brexual Healing

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

nurmie posted:

Re violence talk, I've always wondered how many of those who advocate for campaigns of sustained political violence have ever held a gun, served in military/police/, have experienced gang violence in any form or have any experience in routine, methodical, day to day, cold application of physical harm towards other human beings.

Not saying that lack of such experiences invalidates opinions on eating the rich/royalty/etc, but I can't help but feel that advocates of violence really don't quite fully understand what they are advocating for or just how ugly it can get on a personal level. Even if the intentions are pure and noble.

THERE were two “Reigns of Terror,” if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the “horrors” of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break? What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.

It's really a question of what violence against who rather than violence or no violence.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Chuka Umana posted:

Any good updates on Brexit day celebrations?
https://twitter.com/bigphilcampion/status/1223231891266056194

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Katt posted:

Number of Brits applying for Swedish citizenship increased by 300%. Did you fuckers Brexit yet?

poo poo's crazy. I've a colleague who's sheltering a british refugee, happily they found out he'd already been issued a permanent residence permit lol

quote:

So far this year [2019], 94 percent of processed applications from Brits for Swedish citizenship have been successful and out of those the average waiting time was 259 days.

That waiting time is atrocious, but as yet there's no obvious signs of hostile environment stuff. you better keep your poo poo together though

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

bet next they'll make a time-limited blue edition for converts, with bonuses for recruiting a friend

ffff should have held out

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The experiences I had as the subject of violence create both the intellectual caution and the visceral attraction about it. I get why people who are the subject of it often go on to inflict it, though I hope, presently, that I don't end up that way.

If I genuinely thought that you could fix the problems in the world just by killing people I'd be all for it but I'd be lying if I said that was supported by personal experience, never mind history.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chuka Umana posted:

We are secretly making mental notes and lists of who celebrated this tonight, for when the english refugees start flooding in over on the ferries.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

happyhippy posted:

We are secretly making mental notes and lists of who celebrated this tonight, for when the english refugees start flooding in over on the ferries.

Better start looking for a Nauru somewhere. Greenland maybe? They'll be relieved to find out it's outside the EU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Why take the ferry when you can arrive in style over the bridge?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Enjoy your flood of fbpes

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Crosspost from the US Dem primary thread, don't watch if you hate :Amerikka: type speeches, do watch if you want to feeltheBern

He has a strong chance of winning Iowa and New Hampshire, the first two primaries.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

that's a great speech and even bernie's like :yeshaha: during it

I'm always weirded out when I hear bernARd though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

El Grillo posted:

Crosspost from the US Dem primary thread, don't watch if you hate :Amerikka: type speeches, do watch if you want to feeltheBern

He has a strong chance of winning Iowa and New Hampshire, the first two primaries.

I wish we had orators like that, honestly. And I do hope sanders gets in, and learns from our losses.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I was at the St James' Place annual conference in London today. It was an unsettling mix of the normal corporate woo and some brutally to the point presentations about how if we don't urgently combat climate change our civilisation is hosed and that's really not in our client's best interests.

It really brings it home when ftse 100 directors are getting up on stage and saying: "yeah, on current projections South London is going to be underwater in a few decades and that'll really mess our long-term growth up, so we'd better do something, kinda now-ish?"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

Nothing much until the transition is over unless you count never ending chamber of commerce briefings with people getting confused

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

El Grillo posted:

On the same principal (don't just listen to the first few seconds of the Ice-T monologue at the start, he moves into the class war 'no lives matter')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlk7o5T56iw

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

The experiences I had as the subject of violence create both the intellectual caution and the visceral attraction about it. I get why people who are the subject of it often go on to inflict it, though I hope, presently, that I don't end up that way.

If I genuinely thought that you could fix the problems in the world just by killing people I'd be all for it but I'd be lying if I said that was supported by personal experience, never mind history.

There's a very interesting dialectical tension to the whole topic really, especially with how effective violence can be in achieving political goals (hi MI5 pls don't mind me), but in my humble opinion the costs both to freedoms and to personal wellbeing of large groups of people should make anyone EXTREMELY wary considering it even hypothetically (not talking about self-defence)

namesake posted:

It's really a question of what violence against who rather than violence or no violence.

The answer to that is usually decided by the capabilities of various "whos" and not by intentions or morals, unfortunately. Which is another reason to be careful.

Also, tens of thousands over months is a hilariously low estimate of casualties of any "minor, momentary Terrors" that I heard of.

nurmie fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 31, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

I wish we had orators like that, honestly. And I do hope sanders gets in, and learns from our losses.

We have plenty of them. Hell, Corbynhas made speeches that made me more emotional than this one, and this one's good.

We don't hear them, because our media is a trashfire of fash propagandists and liberal centrists fellating each other.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

We have plenty of them. Hell, Corbynhas made speeches that made me more emotional than this one, and this one's good.

We don't hear them, because our media is a trashfire of fash propagandists and liberal centrists fellating each other.

Corbyn is a good speaker but he speaks, for the most part, quietly and doesn't seem capable of speaking with overt force.

Whereas obviously killer mike is a rapper as well as being an activist which is basically the perfect combination if you want to become a skilled and compelling orator. Absolute confidence and clarity of meaning, understands the value of repetition and cadence and speaks in words everyone can understand. I like corbyn but I think that particular form of speaking is something the UK lacks. Of course parliament and the BBC works to actively kill that ability.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

i don't wanna close my eeeyees - wait no, that's the other one. the one where some idiot americans went gung-ho drilling for oil on the moon or something?

No it's the game where you get to be President of the United States by riding a nuclear missile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IPNZf11uc

*Still* less ridiculous than getting to be president by introducing a third-rate reality TV show and building a shitload of ugly tower blocks though.

(Also IDGAF, Saints Row loving owns and we need a lot more games this loving dumb and a lot less visual novels that are somehow 15GB and require you to hold forward for 14 hours. gently caress walking simulators, gently caress grimdark settings, and completely and totally gently caress anyone who sets out to make a game as "art" rather than, you know, a game. If I wanted to walk around and be depressed I've got the entire world on the other side of my front door, when I'm in here I want to do stupid poo poo.)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Continuity RCP posted:

Enjoy your flood of fbpes

whatever else their faults, I don't think they'll spend a lot of time fubpeeing after leaving brexistan

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No it's the game where you get to be President of the United States by riding a nuclear missile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IPNZf11uc

*Still* less ridiculous than getting to be president by introducing a third-rate reality TV show and building a shitload of ugly tower blocks though.

(Also IDGAF, Saints Row loving owns and we need a lot more games this loving dumb and a lot less visual novels that are somehow 15GB and require you to hold forward for 14 hours. gently caress walking simulators, gently caress grimdark settings, and completely and totally gently caress anyone who sets out to make a game as "art" rather than, you know, a game. If I wanted to walk around and be depressed I've got the entire world on the other side of my front door, when I'm in here I want to do stupid poo poo.)

disco elysium's great, it doesn't even have a forward button

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm pretty sure if my job was to do nothing but shoot fash I'd never stop cumming lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

whatever else their faults, I don't think they'll spend a lot of time fubpeeing after leaving brexistan

Have you seen what happens when brits go abroad? You'll end up with enclaves of trendy bars that only serve gin and are covered with EU flags.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Your gimmick is really loving tedious, can you not just gently caress off? :v:

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Well if nothing else it's currently loving awful outside in London right now & I hope it stays shite all night.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

ThomasPaine posted:

That's why you don't enact your bloodshed by handing rifles to every enthusiastic 17 year old I guess

I would posit, and I'm being totally serious here, that at the ideological level you must utterly crush what you used to be if you're ever to move beyond it

This has been properly tested, in China. The people who lived through the CR mostly harbour feelings of guilt at the violence or petty cruelty they engaged in, and it didn’t do that much to disrupt the social structure: a clever study of heritability of social status and wealth via looking at big data on the jobs and incomes of people with various surnames found that in, IIRC, Shandong, the families that did well were mostly back at the top of the pile within a generation.

The fact that the CR doesn’t seem to have greatly disrupted the accumulation of status is interesting.

Study link: http://faculty.econ.ucdavis.edu/faculty/gclark/papers/Social%20Mobility%20in%20China%2011-7.pdf

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

nurmie posted:

The answer to that is usually decided by the capabilities of various "whos" and not by intentions or morals, unfortunately. Which is another reason to be careful.

Also, tens of thousands over months is a hilariously low estimate of casualties of any "minor, momentary Terrors" that I heard of.

Well if you believe in your objective and build power in an organisation dedicated to achieving that aim then you've done as much as humanly possible to address that issue so I don't see why anyone doing should have reservations to the extent of paralysis over uncontrollable outcomes? Unless you think it's moral and plausible that people should and will just give up without a fight?

Also it was Mark Twain so you might want to cut him a break, that was a particular example he was using.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Off topic, I’m in Rio right now and everyone is disgustingly healthy and good looking and happy.

And yet a few weeks ago one of our company’s drivers was murdered for his phone and about R$5 in change, and for whatever favela kid actually killed him, that would have been a major win and source of status. And when some military police rear end in a top hat shoots and kills that kid or another one, his mates will all clap him on the back and say well done. And people here just get by by not thinking about any of this. The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

Also holy poo poo, people here are just astonishingly good looking. Like, it’s unreal. I’ve lived in about a dozen countries by this point and even in Korea I haven’t seen people this dedicated to looking great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

totally gently caress anyone who sets out to make a game as "art" rather than, you know, a game.
Still love to laugh at the evolution of gamers from
2000s: video games are art and should be treated like art, snobby old rich guys turned their noses up at moving pictures and modern art too, we'll have our day soon
to
2010s: why is this bitch doing Marxist feminist analysis of my video games who the gently caress does that can't games just be fun not everything needs academic criticism