Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If you don't mind OSR, Emmy Allen's Esoteric Enterprises is cool and has plenty of vampires, among other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Never played it but I've heard good things about Night's Black Agents

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Splicer posted:

Never played it but I've heard good things about Night's Black Agents
Featuring the conspyramid and the vampyramid and a back cover blurb that could be the intro to a new spin-off of Burn Notice. Bruce Campbell knows how to handle vampires.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Hey I'm trying to share with someone the story of the players who had a new DM that eventually started teaching them how to adult. Behavioural chart and everything. Does anyone have a copy or know where it's at? My google fu is weak

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

90s Cringe Rock posted:

If you don't mind OSR, Emmy Allen's Esoteric Enterprises is cool and has plenty of vampires, among other things.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to nab a physical copy of that one soon

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

thetoughestbean posted:

Are there any good games about hunting down and killing supernatural creatures, more specifically vampires? I got into an argument with a friend about vamps and now I’m feeling like reading about staking the pointy teethed bastards

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but iHunt was written and developed by Olivia Hill -- one of my favorite RPG setting writers, a talented designer, and also a goon. It's worth a look, at least; it's not expensive and if you're really hard up she offers it at pay-what-you-want from time to time.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

thetoughestbean posted:

Are there any good games about hunting down and killing supernatural creatures, more specifically vampires? I got into an argument with a friend about vamps and now I’m feeling like reading about staking the pointy teethed bastards
The whole of Hunter: the Vigil?
Also, seconding Night's Black Agents.
(Also also, there's The Laundry RPG but I don't know if it's any good.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's funny that I have a readymade list of the games where you play vampires but am just remembering things off the top of my head when it comes to killing them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, long story short - I had my first D&D game with my boys, two of their friends, and my wife last night. That's two 4th-graders, two 2nd-graders, and my wife who's never played an RPG in her life.

I hauled out the pregens WotC has on their site, because the alternative was terrifying. We ended up with a Druid, a Barbarian, a Paladin, a Rogue, and a Fighter. I used the new-ish Essentials Box, which has a pretty capable adventure in it.

It went really great - I kept it to an hour and a half, because kids, but everyone mostly stayed involved in the game and everyone's starting to figure out the rules. There were a few breaks to pet my cat, and I think the reason they are adventuring is to save money to buy a horse. (One horse. For all of them. Because they want pets.)

It went so much better than No Thank You Evil it's amazing.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
There seems to be a Savage Worlds book based on the Monster Hunter International series. The books themselves are kind of blah but they introduced me to trailer park elves in the rural US so that was fun.

I don't know what sort of licensing deal was involved with that. Some of your money may go to a Sad Puppies dude so think twice maybe.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That is quite possibly the best thing to come out of 5e. Good on you and well done. Very happy to hear.

(Post pics of the cat.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If your game session isn't interrupted by a cat is it even a session? Everytime I buy a new boardgame it has to be Cat Approved almost immediately. So far everything from the biggest Gloomhaven to the smallest Tussie Mussie has passed the if "I fits I sits" rule. Okay Cuckoo gave him a struggle but even though 90% of him was outside the box he called it acceptable

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Just lol if you haven't had to house-rule a board game cause a cat stole an enemy and dragged it deep under a couch.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

That is quite possibly the best thing to come out of 5e. Good on you and well done. Very happy to hear.

(Post pics of the cat.)
He's eminently pettable! And I've somehow trained him not to jump on the table at game time.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 31, 2020

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Good catte. Would pet. A+.

Thank you.

Brb gonna go find my cat and give her a rub.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

Good catte. Would pet. A+.

Thank you.

Brb gonna go find my cat and give her a rub.
One more, with Heroscape.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

dwarf74 posted:

I think the reason they are adventuring is to save money to buy a horse
A true and noble goal

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

He is a very good boy who deserves many pets.

Also you have some really, really low windows that I desperately want to fix the mounting/framing on. Like give me an hour with a chuck saw and a nail gun. It's killing my OCD. (Not judging I ain't a home-owner so I don't mean to throw shade on you. Just former-carpenter is coming out hard.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

He is a very good boy who deserves many pets.

Also you have some really, really low windows that I desperately want to fix the mounting/framing on. Like give me an hour with a chuck saw and a nail gun. It's killing my OCD. (Not judging I ain't a home-owner so I don't mean to throw shade on you. Just former-carpenter is coming out hard.)
They have been repainted since this picture was taken, at least. :) And they're not as low as this picture makes it look - it's at a weird angle, and the cat's on a pretty tall box full of heroscape stuff. They are normal window-height for all homes I've lived in.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

They're poorly framed (which I'm not blaming you for obvis) and it just is setting me off so I want to fix them.

Ahhhhh some of the moulding isn't flush it's killing me.

Sorry.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Arivia posted:

Sure, Int translates directly into skills, but I have all the skills I need for this character: Acrobatics, Athletics, Intimidation, Labor Lore, Nature, and Survival.

I know this is just a missing comma but now I like the character concept of "I am Brough from the trackless wastes. I can hunt, kill, leap, find prey, and tell you the lessons of Eugene Debs and Joe Hill. Sit while I speak of the Battle of Blair Mountain, and how our own government bombed our women and children. Then I will kill a bulette and cook it."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Skill Power: Pullman Strike

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Pieces of Peace posted:

I know this is just a missing comma but now I like the character concept of "I am Brough from the trackless wastes. I can hunt, kill, leap, find prey, and tell you the lessons of Eugene Debs and Joe Hill. Sit while I speak of the Battle of Blair Mountain, and how our own government bombed our women and children. Then I will kill a bulette and cook it."

"Good roll! You now recognize these ancient carvings! It's a series of battle plans to take on an oppressive foe the scripts refer to as "Oily Joe." You can't be sure, but this may be the fabled tomb of Mother Jones!"

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Do you like role-playing games? Do you like the works of Hitoshi Ashinano? Do you like map-drawing games? Do you like the peaceful twilight of this age of humanity (gently caress!) as the world changes into something new and our people find a new place for themselves in the strange and beautiful world to come?

Next week I'm releasing Twilight Song, my Yokohama Shopping Log-inspired hack of The Quiet Year - it's a pastoral sci-fi story set in the near future in a world that becomes increasingly unlike our own, focusing on the life and times of an immortal narrator who stays the same even as years, decades, and generations pass. Here's a preview of the season oracle (which will be freely-available in its properly-formatted form, as well as other material such as the 'Between Years oracle', when the game is released). As with TQY's oracle, this provides random events and story prompts during the game - you draw a playing card and match it to the corresponding entry (each suit corresponding to a season).

There's an early alpha PbP playtest here on SA - I've refined it a lot since then, but if you want to see how an earlier version played out, check it out!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

One of my cats looks exactly like your cat.

This is Billie Jean. She's a girl, she's runty and smol, and she's floofy and grey, and if I didn't know better I'd swear that picture of your cat is actually a picture of my cat.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

One of my cats looks exactly like your cat.

This is Billie Jean. She's a girl, she's runty and smol, and she's floofy and grey, and if I didn't know better I'd swear that picture of your cat is actually a picture of my cat.

That's uncanny! Slightly different eyes, tho - Octavius's are more yellowy and less green.

Ours though is not small - he's fairly beefy, and his favorite place sit to be petted is with his front paws on a shoulder, claws kneading painfully, so probably he can drink our blood through his feet or something.

We had to get a special expensive cat on account of my allergies. Octavius is a Siberian, which mostly means he goes nuts whenever we track snow into the house, but which also means I can still breathe with him around.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

That's uncanny! Slightly different eyes, tho - Octavius's are more yellowy and less green.

Ours though is not small - he's fairly beefy, and his favorite place sit to be petted is with his front paws on a shoulder, claws kneading painfully, so probably he can drink our blood through his feet or something.

We had to get a special expensive cat on account of my allergies. Octavius is a Siberian, which mostly means he goes nuts whenever we track snow into the house, but which also means I can still breathe with him around.

Interesting! Billie Jean is a stray who showed up on our doorstep as a kitten (we put food out for certain TNR ferals we are watching out for). I wonder if she has a siberian as a parent.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Cat chat: I had my cat for 6 years and not once did he show any interest in jumping up on the kitchen table. Then I got a roommate who runs PF games at our apartment. Now my cat actually behaves like a cat and hops onto his battlemap constantly.

Cats just want to play games.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I am having a hard time not being heartbroken that the author of Fellowship has to run Cypher and 5e.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

hyphz posted:

I am having a hard time not being heartbroken that the author of Fellowship has to run Cypher and 5e.

Huh? What's this about?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

hyphz posted:

...what exactly are you talking about? I've never touched either system, don't own em, and am not running games of em any time soon. All I'm running right now is a Fellowship campaign and a Beam Saber mini-campaign, and I am playing in a Mouse Guard game and a Shadow of the Demon Lord game.

I don't know where you heard this.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think he got you and Dwarf74 mixed up.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

berenzen posted:

I think he got you and Dwarf74 mixed up.
not the first time someone has mixed up gnomes and dwarves I suppose?

e: But still uh ... I'm only running those for my kids and their friends, and hopefully never No Thank You Evil again because while it's whimsical, kinda, it's not actually any good. So don't feel sorry for me; I have my normal game night with grown-ups, too.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 1, 2020

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

In addition to getting posters mixed up, that was literally the one story about 5e that I'd legit argue is good. Mike Mearls didn't get a paycheck out of it and a dude had a cute time with his kids. Plus he has a really good cat.

I have and will continue to clock in my time at the hating 5e mine, but I ain't never gonna knock that. A family having a good time is one of the best parts of this hobby and we shouldn't forget that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Feeling pity for someone having a good time with a Bad Game is certainly a take

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pieces of Peace posted:

No, actually, it’s not missing a comma. Lore skills represent knowledge about a specific subject, area, or concept. (Pathfinder 2e still has some large field knowledge skills in Arcana, Nature, Occult, and Religion, but a Lore skill is automatically better at its area of focus.) They can also be used to practice your skills in that area of influence. This comes up during downtime for Earn Income checks, that get you money, connections, and story developments. Every background comes with a related Lore skill. The example I was using was the Labourer background so that would probably come with some labour history and skill at doing general labour.

Some other examples are Underworld Lore, from the Criminal background, which is both your knowledge about thieves and also counts for you doing small jobs when you’re not adventuring; and Sailing Lore, which is knowledge about sailing, making money by being a sailor, and actually making checks to steer a ship or whatever if your campaign hits the water.

e: I haven’t looked at it yet but there’s notes in the NPC creation rules about using Lore skills and some other stuff to create challenging non-combat encounters with NPCs who are great at a particular thing. Like if you wanted to have an Iron Chef encounter and flex that Cooking Lore.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 1, 2020

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

dwarf74 posted:

So can anyone tell me if these are the Chessex dice filled with the magic pixie dust that collectors pay out the nose for? It's not a complete set, but I've had these forever.
What? I just bought that same set a month ago. How is it supposed to be expensive? Why?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MadScientistWorking posted:

What? I just bought that same set a month ago. How is it supposed to be expensive? Why?
Apparently the older versions of these are scarce as hell. They used a glitter that is now used for EU money so....

These are at least 20 years old. I tried to take an artsy picture, too - the one d10 is a different kind, it turns out

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Ettin, why is Laura Bailey one of the pre-generated characters in Breakfast Cult? Did she do an actual play or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
are you telling me you DON'T want Laura Bailey to fight cosmic horrors? :colbert: