Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

Look Sir Droids posted:

About to start my first run of Prey up. Anything I should know going in that's not in the OP? Going to try to be unspoiled and not save scum. Are builds a thing in this game? I have played Dishonored 1 and Deus Ex games.

My first run was with as few Typhon powers as possible for narrative reasons, but by the end I felt it wasn't worth it. Unless you wanna be 100% committed to a no Typhon powers build, then don't sweat it too much outside of how it will affect gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Look Sir Droids posted:

About to start my first run of Prey up. Anything I should know going in that's not in the OP? Going to try to be unspoiled and not save scum. Are builds a thing in this game? I have played Dishonored 1 and Deus Ex games.

Nah, for survivability/convenience, the best early mods are probably increased recycling yields, more inventory space and the one that makes medikits heal more, bu don't worry too hard about "builds". And don't do any gimmick runs the first time, just take whichever mods seem cool.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Take every mod, kill everything, craft everything, go everywhere, become a lunatic demigod.

After you finish the game, start over and do a no neuromods run.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Look Sir Droids posted:

Every now and then, either this thread or the Steam thread gets someone who's having trouble with the game, and every single time, it's because they're deliberately avoiding the alien powers. Just get the alien powers. I know the game tells you there's negative consequences, but they're tiny, just get the alien powers. I'm not saying an all-human run is worthless, but you absolutely shouldn't do one on your first run.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think it’s usually because they don’t take combat focus.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I think it’s usually because they don’t take combat focus.

Yeah I neglected Combat Focus in favour of cool explodey mind powers for my first run, and when I finally unlocked it, I was floored by how powerful it is.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah I neglected Combat Focus in favour of cool explodey mind powers for my first run, and when I finally unlocked it, I was floored by how powerful it is.

It's just game breakingly dumb if you're a wrench ninja.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Prey does a lot of good things, but a few things really feel out of place is how poorly thought out they are.

Spoiler for that guy who's asking for build advice since this is about that. Don't read this, dude.

The first is obviously the perks that say 'get more resources'. Those are almost always bad perks to have, doubly so when the resources they give feed back into the same perk system, making them a literal "positive net gain with a break-even point of X" investement. Some systems have parallel upgrade system, so that you're (eg) spending xp to get more gold, but Prey doesn't have that. In hindsight, the only reason NOT to get those skills asap is that they prolong the awkward early game weakness until the breakeven point. Most players will happily take that trade, so the devs have dug their own grave with a wonky power-level/balance system. Players are supposed to get stronger as the game goes on, but the curve for when Morgan stops buying QoL stuff (like inventory) in the midgame and starts buying murder skills results in this insanely sharp spike and soon you have Morgan tapdancing on the nightmare.

The second thing is Combat Reflexes lvl3, that really is stupid how easily accessible, spammable, and overpowered it is. It borders on being un-fun!

Apart from all of that, in hindsight its nice that Arkane [mostly] did away with the dishonored chaos system that punished you for using the toys they hand out. Everything you find can be upgraded to the point of being really good, which is great fun and doesn't invalidate any playstyle.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dishonoured doesn’t really punish you though. A few more rats isn’t a big deal and can even be beneficial if you have rat skills

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Except you know, for everyone calling you a monster and literally getting the bad ending.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the badass ending, you mean

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Serephina posted:

Except you know, for everyone calling you a monster

Well you did brutally murder a bunch of people who were just doing their jobs at the end of the day. Should the game glorify that instead?

I’ve been playing asscreed odyssey lately and it’s kinda weird how the game lets you murder your way across Greece and stop to chat with Socrates about the morality of a thief who steals to feed his family before you head off to butcher a bunch of guards so you can loot a chest and the game never really calls you out for it

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 30, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Wafflecopper posted:

Well you did brutally murder a bunch of people who were just doing their jobs at the end of the day. Should the game glorify that instead?

Oh, I completely agree. I did a low-chaos playthrough and like the only people who I intentionally killed where the evil Granny Bones and the imperial torturer. Jabbing a policeman who was just doing his job felt wrong.

But the point being is that the entire game's set up like that; it's about having all these cool murder toys that you're only able to use on civilians. Contrast with how other games like Prey do it; there is no moral quandary about shooting gribbly aliens. In fact, they explicitly have no sense of empathy, it's murder-free-meat!!

I'm not sure if I'll ever go through and do a high-chaos // high-fun playthrough as there's only so many gaming hours in the week, but Dishonored was such a great game that's brought down by it's own setup.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I actually found low chaos to be more fun than high chaos (although in a different way) because I’m a huge Thief fanboy so playing DH like expert difficulty Thief was just natural to me. That said when I played high chaos I never felt like I was being punished. Video game characters calling me a bad person doesn’t really bother me and there’s no significant mechanical repercussions so :shrug:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

From what I recall, one of the ways Dishonored (and/or D2) subtly shoots itself in the foot is in the Heart's little flavour lines. You go around using it to look at guards and get all these horrible little secrets: this guy's a chronic wife abuser, that dude kills poor people for fun, the motherfucker around the corner is a similarly horrible person.

So, of course, you cleanly and stealthily assassinate all of these horrible people, because you have just been given an excellent reason to do that (and also, that's what the game's about). Surely the city will be better off without these petty fascists terrorizing its innocent folk. But, no, the game silently increments its Protagonist Bloodthirst counter and brings you closer to the bad ending. It's just kinda counterintuitive to someone who isn't wise to the chaos system's foibles, almost to the point of feeling like a gotcha.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the high-chaos final level in Dishonored with the three conspirators each holed up with their private armies having a siege battle on the lighthouse island is so much cooler than the low-chaos variant

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I really appreciated being able to play what was basically a new Thief due to the non-lethal options, but I think the chaos system was a mistake overall, and tying it to your lethality in-game definitely was. I honestly think the high-chaos path is better from a story and theme point of view, and probably from a gameplay one as well. Ditch the low-chaos ending altogether, keep the non-lethal options for bosses (since some of them are very much worse punishments than just killing them) and go from there. Let players be non-lethal if they want, but the impression of getting a "better" ending for everyone that the high/low chaos options create make the game weaker overall.

Maybe keep it around for 2 because of the higher amount of non-lethal gadgets make it feel less tacked on.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I still maintain that the simplest and best solution would be to just do a couple of different brief ending vignettes for each important character (and any major population centers the player visits), and have the chaos system exist relatively independently of those. That way sneaky players get to feel clever for ghosting their way to a low-chaos final level with relatively low security, and high-chaos murderblenders get to enjoy a violent clusterfuck instead.

Base the vignettes off important decisions (lethal/nonlethal, in the case of targets) or off of level stats; if you killed like 90% of the guards in Nor'east Grabass in the middle of a massive plague outbreak, then yeah, obviously Nor'east Grabass descends into loving anarchy and half its population dies of rat flu - that feels like a logical, foreseeable outcome to the decisions the player made in that area.

It would maybe be a bit more involved than the "3 static endings" thing, but I think it would have mollified a lot of common complaints.

edit: you could even do sort of an Undertale thing and have a "wow this place is a ghost town, it's almost like some complete loving psychopath systematically murdered literally every human being in the whole place" easter egg vignette for a 100% kill rate, with a little extra ending for wiping out every single person in the game (the ending is that absolutely everyone is loving terrified of you, and you are ultimately deposed and executed in a breathtakingly widespread popular rebellion. The Outsider is like "wow dude that was hosed up, anyway you live in the Void now")

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 30, 2020

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

people rightfully talk up level 4 and 7 in particular in dishonored 2, but I think everything except the first and last level is genius & shouldn’t be overlooked. It’s arkane’s best game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still need to play the DLC/expansion. I remember the DLC for the first game being really really good and setting me up big for Dishonored 2, because it really seemed like they were getting a good hang of level design for that game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If we're doing Dishonored talk: Just finished first plus DLCs, great fun. It was clear from the moment I met Emily in the intro level that she'd be the protag for Dis2, based off of nothing but the face logo (no spoiler from that yet). Corvo was a totally blank slate protagonist, which was a waste imo. Daud in the DLC is much better, all you need is a gravelly line or two to really bring a character to life.

I'm not sure if I'll replay it all for high-chaos before playing Dis2, but if I do it'll be with a lot of self-imposed restrictions to make the game feel more organic. Like no DetectiveVision, no saving, no UI, and don't *try* to kill people but accept that it'll happen organically as I blunder. I'd do this since I wanna use the big guns and a lot of the cheevos seem truly un-fun to go for. Or should I just can it and go for Dis2 now?

It's been a great fun game and I fell in love with it within 30 minutes of playtime, but I gotta say I've been accumulating a big list of no-nos that some 451 games have been doing:
-Endings which in order to get you have to play in a limiting way
-lovely "difficulty" settings which are mostly maxhp modifiers - other titles have done way better
-Detective Vision; after the DX reboots and now Dishonored I'm really getting sick of that poo poo. Stealth is way better when it requires more situational awareness and resulting immersion.
-Really odd power curves as the player gets huge but the enemies stay the same. Less of a no-no and more of a minor disappointment.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I recently started playing this game and feel like I did something I shouldn't and now I'm worried I'm gonna break the game over my knee.

Right after I did the initial quest to watch the video in Morgan's office I decided I would thoroughly explore before moving on to the hardware labs. I went back to the starting area, got into the volunteer office with a door keycode I found, and from there made my way through a duct into the fabrication lab. There was some really fat flying typhoon that had dual sentry guns on the first level. I figured I'd try to take it out 1-2x and if it seemed impossible I'd give up. Well I jumped on it's head from the 2nd floor and then somehow managed to ram him into a corner of the room with my body, such that it could no longer fly away and all it's electrical attacks all just kept going over my head since I was too close. Since it couldn't hurt me or fly away I proceeded to beat it to death with the wrench over the course of 2 minutes. Well my reward was finding a fabrication plan for neuromods and now I've already crafted about 8 of them. That's more than I could even find naturally in the environment at this point in the game.

Given how long it took to me to kill the Typhoon that was guarding this place, I'm guessing it was supposed to be a later-game area? Am I going to really mess with the balance of the game by having access to neuromod fabrication this early? Should I just avoid using it?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Megasabin posted:

I recently started playing this game and feel like I did something I shouldn't and now I'm worried I'm gonna break the game over my knee.

Right after I did the initial quest to watch the video in Morgan's office I decided I would thoroughly explore before moving on to the hardware labs. I went back to the starting area, got into the volunteer office with a door keycode I found, and from there made my way through a duct into the fabrication lab. There was some really fat flying typhoon that had dual sentry guns on the first level. I figured I'd try to take it out 1-2x and if it seemed impossible I'd give up. Well I jumped on it's head from the 2nd floor and then somehow managed to ram him into a corner of the room with my body, such that it could no longer fly away and all it's electrical attacks all just kept going over my head since I was too close. Since it couldn't hurt me or fly away I proceeded to beat it to death with the wrench over the course of 2 minutes. Well my reward was finding a fabrication plan for neuromods and now I've already crafted about 8 of them. That's more than I could even find naturally in the environment at this point in the game.

Given how long it took to me to kill the Typhoon that was guarding this place, I'm guessing it was supposed to be a later-game area? Am I going to really mess with the balance of the game by having access to neuromod fabrication this early? Should I just avoid using it?

Yeah you're not "supposed" to find that for a while yet but the game is made to be broken so I wouldn't worry about it. The devs made the game so free-roaming so you can do cool stuff like this

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Serephina posted:

If we're doing Dishonored talk: Just finished first plus DLCs, great fun. It was clear from the moment I met Emily in the intro level that she'd be the protag for Dis2, based off of nothing but the face logo (no spoiler from that yet). Corvo was a totally blank slate protagonist, which was a waste imo. Daud in the DLC is much better, all you need is a gravelly line or two to really bring a character to life.

I'm not sure if I'll replay it all for high-chaos before playing Dis2, but if I do it'll be with a lot of self-imposed restrictions to make the game feel more organic. Like no DetectiveVision, no saving, no UI, and don't *try* to kill people but accept that it'll happen organically as I blunder. I'd do this since I wanna use the big guns and a lot of the cheevos seem truly un-fun to go for. Or should I just can it and go for Dis2 now?

high chaos is very different & generally a lot more fun, you can also scoot through the game way faster in just a few hours because you actually have tools besides "stealth and tranq darts" (kind of an issue with dishonored 1 and nonlethal's existence whatsoever allegedly being a late addition). it's worth a run to see all the differences, especially since you likely won't want to go back to 1 after playing 2's better gameplay, levels and graphics

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

-lovely "difficulty" settings which are mostly maxhp modifiers - other titles have done way better

I think you'll like Dishonored 2

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Megasabin posted:

Many/most people find that area soon, and as you mentioned that's a later-game enemy that's positioned so you can walk away from him. Getting the Neuromod schematic early is nice, but doesn't break anything as its totally expected. Most people either stealth it, use every consumable, or just come back later. So if you're feeling guilty for bugging the enemy out, I dno just drop some resources on the floor and call it even?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

high chaos is very different & generally a lot more fun, you can also scoot through the game way faster in just a few hours because you actually have tools besides "stealth and tranq darts" (kind of an issue with dishonored 1 and nonlethal's existence whatsoever allegedly being a late addition). it's worth a run to see all the differences, especially since you likely won't want to go back to 1 after playing 2's better gameplay, levels and graphics

HenryEx posted:

I think you'll like Dishonored 2

Suh-weet! Will blow throw D1 tonight and get into the sequel later

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Angry Diplomat posted:

From what I recall, one of the ways Dishonored (and/or D2) subtly shoots itself in the foot is in the Heart's little flavour lines. You go around using it to look at guards and get all these horrible little secrets: this guy's a chronic wife abuser, that dude kills poor people for fun, the motherfucker around the corner is a similarly horrible person.

So, of course, you cleanly and stealthily assassinate all of these horrible people, because you have just been given an excellent reason to do that (and also, that's what the game's about). Surely the city will be better off without these petty fascists terrorizing its innocent folk. But, no, the game silently increments its Protagonist Bloodthirst counter and brings you closer to the bad ending. It's just kinda counterintuitive to someone who isn't wise to the chaos system's foibles, almost to the point of feeling like a gotcha.

FYI, at least in D2, they aren't just flavor lines. Certain guards' deaths cause less chaos than others.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah don't worry about reaching, and clearing, that area early. You can't really "sequence break" Prey, afaik.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

FYI, at least in D2, they aren't just flavor lines. Certain guards' deaths cause less chaos than others.

Holy poo poo, really? That's a nice touch!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Seeing people talk about this makes me want to go back to Dis1 when I'm done with Prey. My run in that game was low chaos with a lot of save scumming, which tends to ruin fun. I also never played the DLCs. The ones to get are Brigmore Witches and Knife of Dunwall, right? Do either of those rely on whether your base game run was low or high chaos? IIRC they're both set before the main game, so nah?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's 3 DLCs for D1. The City Trials are speedrunning trash, while Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches are a mini-campaign (2 x 3 missions, compared to ~8 for the main campaign) following the assassin Daud. The two DLCs hook into each other sequentially but ignore the main campaign. Highly recommended as I rank four of those six missions outright better than any in the main game, alongside Daud's power set and tighter money economy.

About a third of the way through the main game now on high chaos, by golly are things faster when you give zero fucks and just walk straight for the objective shooting, stabbing and rat-ing anyone in your path. Go rats!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Serephina posted:

The two DLCs hook into each other sequentially but ignore the main campaign.

What's the correct order? I'll pick these up during the next sale. Not interested in City Trials.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

If you get lucky with charms you become the rat god.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

What's the correct order? I'll pick these up during the next sale. Not interested in City Trials.

knife of dunwall>brigmore witches

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Knife of dunwall first, then witches. the DLCs are a bit odd because they each have one level with very clear cut corners due to reuse of content from corvo’s levels, while the other levels are some of the best stuff in the game, with the last level of brigmore witches being my definite favorite level in dishonored 1

the DLCs actually take place at the same time as the main story and you can hear about what corvo’s doing at the same time, with the interesting touch that corvo is as high chaos as you are

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Knife and Witches are better than the main game in several respects.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Looking forward to my kill everybody main game run followed by superior DLC, where I will probably kill everybody.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Megasabin posted:

This is how I play the game every time. They want you to achieve chim - go for it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

The letdown about this is, which are which is scrambled every time you reload the game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Take every mod, kill everything, craft everything, go everywhere, become a lunatic demigod.

After you finish the game, start over and do a no neuromods run.

So, I was just about to ask how you monsters found it in yourself to do typhon neuromods when

Serephina posted:

But the point being is that the entire game's set up like that; it's about having all these cool murder toys that you're only able to use on civilians. Contrast with how other games like Prey do it; there is no moral quandary about shooting gribbly aliens. In fact, they explicitly have no sense of empathy, it's murder-free-meat!!

kind of answered it for me. I never saw them as just fodder, I was over halfway through the game before I gave up my theory that the aliens were some kind of sci-fi-hosed echoes of people from the space station. If it weren't for mimics that jump right at my face and trigger a reflex attack, I would have naturally assumed there was a no-kill option available to me and taken it. I wouldn't call "no-typhon" runs a gimmick or shy anyway away from it if it's their inclination, it's a perfectly natural way to play. If you don't get a moral hesitation, there's no reason to force yourself down that path, but like, the game does acknowledge and accommodate you if your moral gut instinct is to not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I mean, it seems like kind of a similar "quandary" to the one you see in zombie media. The majority of people would probably not be very happy at the prospect of continuing to exist as weird spooky alien murder ghosts who kill all their friends; it seems fair to assume that killing one of them is, at worst, a morally neutral prospect due to the fact that it's both self-defence and arguably an act of mercy.

As for the other types of Typhon, they are all assholes who do different kinds of extremely rude violence to you. If they didn't want to be smashed with a wrench and harvested for their Typhon juice, they shouldn't have smashed a bunch of humans and harvested them for their... uh... human juice :colbert: