Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

you could play through multiple good dragon quest games in the time it takes you to play through 7, a bad dragon quest game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

you could play through multiple good dragon quest games in the time it takes you to play through 7, a bad dragon quest game

I mean, this basically IS the narrative of DQ7 lol

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Bongo Bill posted:

7 is the most Dragon Quest game. It maximizes the series' distinctive strengths and its weaknesses.

If 7 is the most Dragon Quest game, then I really hope they never go full Dragon Quest in any subsequent entries. It's by far my least favorite, but I still haven't played 4 or 6 yet.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

DQ11 is my favorite and the 3DS remake of 7 is my second favorite but yea with 7 you are getting into A Lot

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

DQVII is a good deal shorter on 3DS compared to the original, but given the original is whoa nelly long, that's...not saying much. It's still a looooong game.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kuros posted:

8 on the 3ds is very good, and 7 is also on the 3ds. I know they cut down the slog a bit on 7 3ds but I don't know by how much as I haven't played it yet.
4 through 6 on the DS are all good.
1 through 3 are available on mobile, but those can be a bit much for some people. 1 is pure progression grind and 2 is brutal late in the game. 3 is where I believe the series hits its stride.

1-3 are also available on the Switch for those who don't mind the mobile look, but can't stand the mobile controls.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like 7 but I'd like it a lot more if my friends didnt abandon me to go do boring non adventure things

:qq:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Hokuto posted:

The burials added an unnecessary layer of tedium to a chapter that REALLY didn't need the help. I still haven't gotten to chapter 4 in DQB2 because chapter 3 burned me really hard and I'm not entirely sure it will get better.

Chapter 4 is pretty breezy compared to 3 and has one really fun segment at least.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

how do you play through dq7 multiple times while playing dq7?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I bought builders 2 just on a whim without really knowing anything about it.

I'm only like 2 minutes in but I'm already pretty impressed by the naruto running.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kild posted:

Speedrun the 3DS version while playing the PSX version normally?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh, I might as well ask here since googling produces confused non-answers.

Does the pc version of builders 2 have cross platform play? Trying to search just gives answers about the cross between ps4 and switch versions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm having trouble beating Overwheening Pride in DQ11 S. My party is all in the low to mid 80s but dude doesn't gently caress around at all. My strategy at the last few bosses was "go level up 10 times and come back to wreck it" but that didn't work this time

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm going to keep repeating this until it's literally known by everyone: DQ2 is a perfectly pleasant RPG as long as you play any version apart from the NES version. I've played several and they are all quite enjoyable; I really can't overstate how much more balanced all of the ports are in comparison to the original.

DQ1 is also much less grindy than the NES original, but the quality difference in 2 is night and day.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm going to keep repeating this until it's literally known by everyone: DQ2 is a perfectly pleasant RPG as long as you play any version apart from the NES version. I've played several and they are all quite enjoyable; I really can't overstate how much more balanced all of the ports are in comparison to the original.

DQ1 is also much less grindy than the NES original, but the quality difference in 2 is night and day.

What really sets ports of DQ2 apart from the NES original is the quality of life of being able to use Zoom to go to any previously visited major city. The original DQ2 for NES only let you Zoom to your last save point, and you had to use travel gates/ship to go anywhere else.

It's hard to overstate how huge of a deal it was when DQ3 (more or less) standardized Zoom in its current form.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Len posted:

I'm having trouble beating Overwheening Pride in DQ11 S. My party is all in the low to mid 80s but dude doesn't gently caress around at all. My strategy at the last few bosses was "go level up 10 times and come back to wreck it" but that didn't work this time

Axe skill Scrap metal to sap defense, get some Oomphle on that tank and then the same for the Hero as the both of them rush it down with Unbridled Blade is basically my go-to strategy.

You can get Berserker's Blades as a rare drop from I thiiiink the First Forest whale way station encounters and picking up some of those as the first step of post game is such a good power gaming step.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Kild posted:

Playing through DQ7 is like playing through every DQ game combined, including DQ7.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, I wasn't expecting it but I really appreciated that Postgame spoilers Jasper got a conclusion to his story in the end. It was honestly really sweet. Shame that nothing could be done to save him. *Goes back in time to the beginning of the game to blast through every battle even more swole than ever.*

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I'm down to the final boss of the post-game and then onto whatever I have left in Tickington.

I heard the final boss of Tickington is supposed to be insanely difficult. Is there anything additional I should do to prepare aside from maxing levels and getting all the best gear to +3? I don't really want to grind seeds but I want to complete everything so I'll do what I have to.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Postman posted:

I'm down to the final boss of the post-game and then onto whatever I have left in Tickington.

I heard the final boss of Tickington is supposed to be insanely difficult. Is there anything additional I should do to prepare aside from maxing levels and getting all the best gear to +3? I don't really want to grind seeds but I want to complete everything so I'll do what I have to.
I was level 99 but it honestly wasn't that bad. just stock up on pep pips/pops and elfin elixirs and spam Veronica's magic burst. I found the bosses in mid-act 3 much worse than anything towards the end, tbh. Once you're maxed out and have all the good skills/gear the battles all start to follow the same pattern of 8 eating damage, someone buffing/healing, Veronica nuking and hero doing whatever else needs done that round

There's one new Switch exclusive superboss after Tickington but it's not a big deal or very memorable.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I was level 99 but it honestly wasn't that bad. just stock up on pep pips/pops and elfin elixirs and spam Veronica's magic burst. I found the bosses in mid-act 3 much worse than anything towards the end, tbh. Once you're maxed out and have all the good skills/gear the battles all start to follow the same pattern of 8 eating damage, someone buffing/healing, Veronica nuking and hero doing whatever else needs done that round

There's one new Switch exclusive superboss after Tickington but it's not a big deal or very memorable.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the final Tickington fights on Stronger Monsters. Hall of Remembrance 3 is really kicking my rear end. Has anyone here finished it on Stronger Monsters? Any tips? I got this far by having Eight tank with forbearance but the second group does so much damage he can't survive a turn. And without him tanking everyone else just melts.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 30, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oh yeah I turned off SM during that exact fight lol, decided it wasn't worth it or really balanced for it

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Hokuto posted:

What really sets ports of DQ2 apart from the NES original is the quality of life of being able to use Zoom to go to any previously visited major city. The original DQ2 for NES only let you Zoom to your last save point, and you had to use travel gates/ship to go anywhere else.

It's hard to overstate how huge of a deal it was when DQ3 (more or less) standardized Zoom in its current form.

I'm not sure if this was in the SFC versions because it's been too long, but it definitely was in the mobile version and it is indeed a huge improvement.

Fake Edit: After a bit of research, it appears that the upgrade to Zoom was all remakes. Good.

Real Edit: According to the DQ wiki, I was wrong about the above:

quote:

Until the release of the mobile phone version in 2014, Zoom would only return the party to the location where they last saved their game.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 30, 2020

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble with the final Tickington fights on Stronger Monsters. Hall of Remembrance 3 is really kicking my rear end. Has anyone here finished it on Stronger Monsters? Any tips? I got this far by having Eight tank with forbearance but the second group does so much damage he can't survive a turn. And without him tanking everyone else just melts.

Hero/Eight/Serena/Veronica

Max level, +3 Meteorite Bracers & +3 Catholicon Rings on everyone. Best armor and weapons of course, +3 everything. Load up everyone with Pep Pops and Elfin Elixirs. Ideally you should be able to use a Pep Pop and then Yggdragon's Blessing right away before you get into too much trouble. From there it's all about Magic Burst spam. Eight can use Forbearance when the blessing wears off, but get it back asap. When the blessing is on, have Hero and Eight spam their best attacks. Serena will either be healing or trying to inflict status effects on the enemies.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Dragonquest builders 2 owns. It's just so charming. I get the feeling I'm going to be able to do alot more with the little town than what I can currently do but I really like the fact that it's a bit more structured as an adventure/narrative than a rimworld sort of game.

I love me some rimworld and have hundreds of hours in games like that but it's neat seeing what it would be like if you built an RPG around the concept.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Definitely an overall positive experience, builders 2 is. I'm just now discovering how to make personal rooms for each colonist according to their tastes so that's my new goal. Trying to not make them look too lovely even if they are just boxy affairs. I wish there was an easier way to raise fanciness without dumping a bunch of gaudy crap into the room.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

This is why I browse this thread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I might just be making poo poo up but I feel like Serena's saintess armor recolor looks like Twilight Princess Zelda's outfit.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I might just be making poo poo up but I feel like Serena's saintess armor recolor looks like Twilight Princess Zelda's outfit.

It is kinda similar, yeah.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's also switch exclusive so uh I imagine that may be intentional

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Agent355 posted:

Dragonquest builders 2 owns. It's just so charming. I get the feeling I'm going to be able to do alot more with the little town than what I can currently do but I really like the fact that it's a bit more structured as an adventure/narrative than a rimworld sort of game.

I love me some rimworld and have hundreds of hours in games like that but it's neat seeing what it would be like if you built an RPG around the concept.

The villagers in DQ2 have some really weird ideas about food. In my game they run way far away to grab raw cabbage out of a chest, when there's a whole kitchen full of food like two doors down. It's very puzzling.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I only just got past the harvest festival in the first real area of the game, which I assume is not all that far in. I'm still in the stage where my entire village is a higgledy piggledy mess because i didn't really know what I was going to need to put in eventually so I didn't really account for it when I put the first few farms down.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter when I can do a bit more town planning before I actually break earth.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I built a tower of power by hand because I didnt realize the villagers were going to build it for me. I needed to talk to the king again before they did so.

That was an hour I want back.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kuros posted:

8 on the 3ds is very good, and 7 is also on the 3ds. I know they cut down the slog a bit on 7 3ds but I don't know by how much as I haven't played it yet.
4 through 6 on the DS are all good.
1 through 3 are available on mobile, but those can be a bit much for some people. 1 is pure progression grind and 2 is brutal late in the game. 3 is where I believe the series hits its stride.

1-3 are also on switch. Based on my experience playing them on mobile, they made them far less grindy at least.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

The villagers in DQ2 have some really weird ideas about food. In my game they run way far away to grab raw cabbage out of a chest, when there's a whole kitchen full of food like two doors down. It's very puzzling.
sounds like my girlfriend tbh

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Anyone have any experience with the dragon quest randomizer? I’m not sure how to set it up, is this just an ips or do I need to drag and drop, or run an executable from powershell?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Jet Jaguar posted:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

sounds like my girlfriend tbh

Your girlfriend is a cabbage?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Saw a news headline saying they're testing out a browser version of DQ10 in Japan, for those of us keeping some small hope alive that we'll get it over here.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

DalaranJ posted:

Anyone have any experience with the dragon quest randomizer? I’m not sure how to set it up, is this just an ips or do I need to drag and drop, or run an executable from powershell?

https://github.com/mcgrew/dwrandomizer

Near the bottom of this has instructions on how to run the randomizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dq11s

If you go back in time using a church, can you play through the game and get more of the unique weapons like the Bad axe and stuff? I somehow managed to get two Deft Daggers so I'm wondering if it's possible to get more of the other ones.