Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pastry of the Year posted:

If you've never played Counterspy, you need to get on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxe9tymcxRQ

I regret getting rid of my Vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Trapick posted:

But it wasn't present Janeway, it was future Janeway who did the time travel and war crime. And the general Star Trek consensus seems to be "ignore Enterprise, it was a silly thing".
Invert this. Aside from fondness for the actors, no one gives a gently caress about anything from Voyager. Meanwhile Enterprise was mostly wet toast, but you still get nods to it in like Star Trek: Beyond.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Jan 31, 2020

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Seven of Nine is gonna be in Picard so I guess someone cares. And if they are following the main timeline, then the fact that future Janeway used a future virus to do genocide on the Borg is gonna be important. There is a goddamn derelict Borg cube in the first episode that Romulans are harvesting for parts or something.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

doverhog posted:

Seven of Nine is gonna be in Picard so I guess someone cares.

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from fondness for the actors
So we can just ignore parts of sentences now?

quote:

And if they are following the main timeline, then the fact that future Janeway used a future virus to do genocide on the Borg is gonna be important. There is a goddamn derelict Borg cube in the first episode that Romulans are harvesting for parts or something.
They're not gonna deep cut that. It's gonna be related to whatever threat du jour is around because chumping the former scariest enemies is a time-tested cheat to make the current villain more threatening.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

mind the walrus posted:

Invert this. Aside from fondness for the actors, no one gives a gently caress about anything from Voyager. Meanwhile Enterprise was mostly wet toast, but you still get nods to it in like Star Trek: Beyond.

Enterprise gets nods because it's inconsequential. Voyager can be ignored with a retcon at least, like saying do you think the Borg are stupid enough to be wiped out with just one stroke? Even Data couldn't get the Borg to self-destruct.

Although I'd still like to know what the hell happened to Edison and his crew in the prime timeline, if those events began before Nero's incursion.

doverhog posted:

Bond is like, watchable garbage. I mean I wouldn't and don't watch it anymore more but it was something on TV.

If you've ever read the novels, that's basically what they were. They were fun adventure novels you read while on the train or whatever, and could forget about. It's only been recent where they've tried to make them more than just blockbusters.

I appreciate it when they try to make a better story than the average one and break the formula, but when they attempt it and fail, it comes out stupid. I just remembered The World Is Not Enough attempted some kind of love story with Bond and Elektra King, and it made no sense.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you were gonna take anything from VOY it would be either 7 of 9 or the dr so good job there

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I mean, it's also possible that the time police went "yeah well they were fighting the Borg so...we'll let that one slide." I think the Borg are one of those "all bets are off, this is desperate, do what you have to do" situations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

doverhog posted:

I wanna see if Picard addresses how Janeway used time travel to destroy the Borg, using a virus from the future.

The second episode of Picard has a character expressing concern that the Borg would be interested in the derelict Cube the Romulans are stripping for parts. Another character reassured them that the Borg have abandoned it. So it sounds like the Borg are still an issue.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

Oblivion was good.

The movie or the Elder Scrolls game?

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

Using a virus against the Borg is a war crime. If you wanna argue that war crimes are ok some times, ok, let's argue.

Are you saying using a virus is a war crime because using biological weapons in the real world in 2020 is a war crime?

Because using a computer virus is not the same as a biological one.

Or is there some super geek canon somewhere that computer viruses were banned by the future star trek governments?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

coronavirus posted:

Are you saying using a virus is a war crime because using biological weapons in the real world in 2020 is a war crime?

Or is there some super geek canon somewhere that computer viruses were banned by the future star trek governments?

If you really want to know the in-universe explanation of this topic shut up that’s why!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Y'all are missing the point. The Borg are non humans, which means they don't count as people, so who gives a poo poo?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The movie or the Elder Scrolls game?

The elder scrolls game.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Aramek posted:

Y'all are missing the point. The Borg are non humans, which means they don't count as people, so who gives a poo poo?

Are Vulcans not people then?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

coronavirus posted:

I don't have the text of the Federation charter here, so feel free to contradict me if you do. My impression from various episodes I couldn't name right now is that the Federation considers the use of such weapons criminal.

The Borg are not computers, and even if they were, Data had human rights and he was a computer. They even had an episode where Picard was forced to argue that question in a military tribunal and his position won. Starfleet appears to have gone down a dark path since then though.

But yeah it appears from the second episode the Borg are not wholly extinct despite Janeway's actions. Let's not forget by the way that she didn't just unleash the virus, she also used future tech to destroy the transwarp conduit the Borg used for long distance travel, which would have a pretty significant effect on a civilization spanning almost a quadrant of the Milky Way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
But, it’s also the Borg, who are basically an existential threat to organic life and are almost impossible to stop through conventional means.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The borg are computer people so that makes using a computer virus on them the same as a biological virus on us.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

But, it’s also the Borg, who are basically an existential threat to organic life and are almost impossible to stop through conventional means.

:d2a:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Star Wars droids are not people

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

I don't have the text of the Federation charter here, so feel free to contradict me if you do. My impression from various episodes I couldn't name right now is that the Federation considers the use of such weapons criminal.

The Borg are not computers, and even if they were, Data had human rights and he was a computer. They even had an episode where Picard was forced to argue that question in a military tribunal and his position won. Starfleet appears to have gone down a dark path since then though.

But yeah it appears from the second episode the Borg are not wholly extinct despite Janeway's actions. Let's not forget by the way that she didn't just unleash the virus, she also used future tech to destroy the transwarp conduit the Borg used for long distance travel, which would have a pretty significant effect on a civilization spanning almost a quadrant of the Milky Way.

To be fair though Data was pretty chill and didn't have a habit of conquering everything he saw. The Borg pretty much only existed to expand and subsume all other intelligent life. The ones that got disconnected from the collective could be convinced to knock it the hell off but that was a difficult thing to do, it was clearly a traumatic experience, and they quit being Borg when that happened.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The east coast of North America has a far better climate than the west coast.

Newfoundland winter > LA winter

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Nice try, Ho.West coast best coast, east coast least coast. We didn't make that up. It rhymed on its own.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The east coast of North America has a far better climate than the west coast.

Newfoundland winter > LA winter

Newfoundland is an island, not the coast.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Newfoundland and Labrador winter, specifically in this instance referring primarily to Labrador > LA winter

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

"Bro" is a bad insult since it makes people sound much more fun. Like hell yeah I'd play beer pong with Bernie Bros or Wicca Bros.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

"Bro" is a bad insult since it makes people sound much more fun. Like hell yeah I'd play beer pong with Bernie Bros or Wicca Bros.

It implies that masculinity is bad, and therefore being someone's brother is also inherently bad. There is a lot that could be said about this but to keep it short just compare Clinton and Sanders and consider which is actually bad.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Amoeba102 posted:

Oblivion was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6hVmn9FM7o

Once again this appears to be the correct opinions thread.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
If it weren't for the racism Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom would be the best Indiana Jones movie and it would not even be close.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hard tacos are the worst tacos.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Any taco with lettuce on it is the worst taco.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
There's plenty of room to argue flour versus corn tortilla but soft tortillas are better in every situation.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

All of these judge shows on during the day where the judge basically denigrates and insults people in small claims courts are such trash. I hate them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

corn tortillas are only good if you get them freshly made. If you're buying tortillas at Target or whatever, always go flour.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

All of these judge shows on during the day where the judge basically denigrates and insults people in small claims courts are such trash. I hate them.

My dude go look up Judge Frank Caprio on YouTube if you wanna see a good rear end person who is also a Judge

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Any taco with lettuce on it is the worst taco.

Two equally true statements

Gripweed posted:

corn tortillas are only good if you get them freshly made. If you're buying tortillas at Target or whatever, always go flour.

THREE

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Aramek posted:

There's plenty of room to argue flour versus corn tortilla but soft tortillas are better in every situation.

counterpoint: chimichangas

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rainbow Knight posted:

counterpoint: chimichangas

by definition is a fried soft tortilla.

Make a chimichanga with a hard tortilla and you'll get... a gross piece of poo poo

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

by definition is a fried soft tortilla.

Make a chimichanga with a hard tortilla and you'll get... a gross piece of poo poo

yeah but then it becomes a hard tortilla :viggo:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I liked all three Cloverfield movies. Cloverfield Paradox didn't live up to it's potential, but it was still an enjoyable spooky sci-fi movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

:hmmyes: