Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So I shouldn't be learning Pink Floyd - Breathe as a beginner? :lol:

(My teacher thrust that song on me using a D7♭ or something and I was like.... I can't switch to it fast enough.)

So we moved to The Cult - Wild Flower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh duh that makes way more sense with the intervals.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Huxley posted:

It is not a book I would recommend. Even the Jazz section, most online stuff I've seen starts you off with basic G and C chords, since those are both common chords and a good introductions to the movable shapes. The first chord he shows you is B7#9 and here's your entire chord library.

And, yeah all that's correct but extremely sideways with the other ways I've seen it taught. And he goes from these three figures straight into actual Greensleeves. Also, his terminology of "inside" and "outside" chords may be correct but doesn't appear anywhere else on the entire internet, that I can find.
How does the 1 finger work in F13?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's barred.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SelenicMartian posted:

How does the 1 finger work in F13?

Actually for the chord you don't bar it, you do the tri-tone with mid-ring-pinky and index on the root note.

(This is one of the few jazz chords I'm actually familiar with lol)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Little circle means "augmented" right?

augmented chords get a little plus sign, diminished chords get the little circle

when it comes to different kinds of diminished 7th chords... when in doubt, you can always play a diminished triad:

Bdim = B D F
Bm7b5 = B D F A
Bdim7 = B D F Ab

im not sure what music theory tells us re: when to play a half- or fully-diminished 7th chords. i could use some help understanding this!

i usually just audition both and pick the one that sounds the best :shrug:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah like, those are all actual chords and fingerings, but I've always seen them set those chords at the third fret on G and C roots. That makes sense because it's likely that people just getting into jazz from open chords or power chords are going to be comfortable and familiar with D-7, GM7, CM7 because they've been open/power chording G, C, D through a hundred other things.

But this book has to (or just chooses to) position everything as close to the nut as it can for space purposes. So you end up with a mix of F and F# root chords depending on whether your chord needs to go above the root on a higher string and it looks daunting and crazy.

Also looking back, and I'm like 2 months into my "let's learn jazz" journey so it's extremely likely I'm wrong, but he is missing some chords shapes I know Justin and others teach you right up front, specifically your 5th-string root M7 and -7 chords.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does that jazz guy just really hate plain m7 chords or what? what the heck

Baron von Eevl posted:

Goldschlager guitar, clear acrylic with embedded gold flakes in it, all gold hardware.

you know those old pens where there'd be a lady in it, and when you tip the pen up her dress would float up and she's nude or in a bikini or whatever

how come no 80s rock dude ever had one of those built into the guitar so when he pointed his headstock at the sky for a rad solo you'd get the naked lady. Like half their songs were basically that!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Just wanted to tell y'all that after about ten years of very casually playing guitar, I can now play a bmajor Barre chord. Thanks for the advice!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

kidkissinger posted:

Just wanted to tell y'all that after about ten years of very casually playing guitar, I can now play a bmajor Barre chord. Thanks for the advice!

:banjo:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

kidkissinger posted:

which one? at 2 or 7?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Huxley posted:

Also looking back, and I'm like 2 months into my "let's learn jazz" journey so it's extremely likely I'm wrong, but he is missing some chords shapes I know Justin and others teach you right up front, specifically your 5th-string root M7 and -7 chords.

I also just started a jazz journey and the book I'm studying from starts by defining what a seventh chord is and then shows you basic 7, m7 and M7 shapes starting from the 6th string, then the 5th, then the 4th. All extensions and alterations are handwaved away with "these will be important but we'll get to them later". Starting with a braindump of #9 and 13 chords is insane.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Actually for the chord you don't bar it, you do the tri-tone with mid-ring-pinky and index on the root note.

(This is one of the few jazz chords I'm actually familiar with lol)

You can barre it if you mute the A string with your free finger. I prefer your way, though, it's slower to finger but easier to play cleanly.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Anime Reference posted:

I also just started a jazz journey and the book I'm studying from starts by defining what a seventh chord is and then shows you basic 7, m7 and M7 shapes starting from the 6th string, then the 5th, then the 4th. All extensions and alterations are handwaved away with "these will be important but we'll get to them later". Starting with a braindump of #9 and 13 chords is insane.

What book are you using? I'd love to have something to work through.

I'm pumped because I've got my first actual lesson next week with an old-rear end jazz dude who only works over the phone, no texting. And I am finally going to break down and buy an electric after a couple years of being acoustic only.

I signed up with him specifically for mandolin, and will still probably spend most of my time there, but once I saw his bio was predominantly jazz guitar, I got all excited to learn two things at once.

LESSONS!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
"Guitar Chords in Context", by Joseph Alexander. The Kindle version is actually usable, unlike tab books that become unreadable nightmares on Kindle.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Helianthus Annuus posted:

which one? at 2 or 7?

Both it seems. I was playing on Elixir 12s for a long time before I switched to these d'darrio silk and steel 11s and it feels like I was playing with a weighted bat.

Edit: I still have occasional dead notes but its way way less frequent than before.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Gnumonic posted:

Oh and I actually like Syu/GALNERYUS.
Super late but I could never place what confused me about the name until a japanese speaking friend said it's a butchering of Guarnerius.

And good fuckin luck, because I asked the same friend to help me figure out shipping a weird Ibanez back to the US and that never panned out. Probably easiest if you just grab it there and swim home.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vintersorg posted:

So I shouldn't be learning Pink Floyd - Breathe as a beginner? :lol:

(My teacher thrust that song on me using a D7♭ or something and I was like.... I can't switch to it fast enough.)

So we moved to The Cult - Wild Flower.

IMO as a beginner all that matters is that you're having fun. Because if you have fun you'll keep doing it. And if you keep doing it, you'll git gud.

Literally the only thing to worry about as a beginner to guitar is putting down the guitar. Anything that isn't that is victory. Eventually you'll get good enough that practicing is fun and easy and not a huge pain and then you can work on learning real music stuff.

Some people may disagree, and bad habits in your posture are bad, but in general I really think so many music teachers gently caress this up.

Legit I would start with just playing power chords to your favorite songs. Even if the song doesn't have power chords, you can play power chords in the same major chord progression and it will sound A-OK.

You can play power chords with Pink Floyd and you can play power chords with Stevie Ray Vaughn and you can play power chords with Britney Spears. It doesn't matter.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Death Panel Czar posted:

Super late but I could never place what confused me about the name until a japanese speaking friend said it's a butchering of Guarnerius.

And good fuckin luck, because I asked the same friend to help me figure out shipping a weird Ibanez back to the US and that never panned out. Probably easiest if you just grab it there and swim home.

Yeah I think I'm gonna need to find someone who speaks Japanese if I wanna do this. Ikkebe Gakki has them in stock and will ship to the US but all the CITES/shipping/duty stuff on their website is in Japanese. Google translate is... not so great at that language.

Edit:

Oh and w/r/t the multiscale stuff: I have small hands and I like to be able to do the three note per string scales and 2/3/4/5 string sweep arpeggios in every position, so anything that's extended scale or multiscale probably isn't gonna work.

Unfortunately I think my budget's a little too low for real custom stuff. A full custom guitar seems to be around 2500-3000USD at a minimum and I'm really not looking to spend more than 2k. I'm planning on selling off a ton of gear so I could stretch the budget, but I also wanna replace my amps and pedals with a Helix or AXE or Kemper or something. Also scalloping isn't free.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 1, 2020

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Huxley posted:

It is not a book I would recommend. Even the Jazz section, most online stuff I've seen starts you off with basic G and C chords, since those are both common chords and a good introductions to the movable shapes. The first chord he shows you is B7#9 and here's your entire chord library.

Yeah, I didn't even attempt any of that. About the time when I lost all motivation, I remember flipping through those sections and thinking "Only some guitar God could ever manipulate their fingers into those weird jazz shapes. Just a bunch of insane diagrams to a beginner.

I had to pull a few choice excerpts from Guitar for Dummies now that I'm home. All in sequential order:

Finally.

Alright, now we're talking.

:colbert:

Biggest mistake I made in my journey, but I was a super poor student at the time and couldn't afford more than my Hamer Slammer strat and no-name amp + that book.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Holy poo poo that takes me back. I started on Guitar for Dummies in late 1999. I want to talk poo poo on it because it's a truly awful book, but I'm still playing guitar 20 years later, so I guess it deserves some credit.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Tell me how to be better?

https://youtu.be/4HIZt-JwM1s

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

former glory posted:

reading between the lines, at this point you're meant to be angry and then you learn how to do punk versions

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I mean that's already very good!

I guess work on your timing, some of the notes come in a little late (without it sounding intentional) which makes it sound less slick than it otherwise would

Looking at your hand, and I'm not an expert here, I feel like it's just technique that's affecting your timing - your hand's moving a lot, especially when you pluck a string, so it's making it harder to get back in the right place for the next note. And that movement means sometimes the pluck doesn't happen immediately, your finger pulls the string a bit and that's why it flies back a little with momentum when the string finally pings off

What I'd do is slow it down a bit (use a metronome!) and just focus on one bit of the pattern, over and over. Try and keep your hand in the same place, floating steadily, and use the minimum amount of effort to pick the strings. Try and use more of the tip of your finger, and try to walk it over the top of the string instead of grabbing it like you're firing an arrow (you're not doing it that much but hopefully you get the difference I'm going for here). Just do that over and over and your fingers will get stronger and more precise, and it'll all sound really solid

but like I said, nice!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

baka kaba posted:

I guess work on your timing, some of the notes come in a little late (without it sounding intentional) which makes it sound less slick than it otherwise would

Looking at your hand, and I'm not an expert here, I feel like it's just technique that's affecting your timing - your hand's moving a lot, especially when you pluck a string, so it's making it harder to get back in the right place for the next note. And that movement means sometimes the pluck doesn't happen immediately, your finger pulls the string a bit and that's why it flies back a little with momentum when the string finally pings off

What I'd do is slow it down a bit (use a metronome!) and just focus on one bit of the pattern, over and over. Try and keep your hand in the same place, floating steadily, and use the minimum amount of effort to pick the strings. Try and use more of the tip of your finger, and try to walk it over the top of the string instead of grabbing it like you're firing an arrow (you're not doing it that much but hopefully you get the difference I'm going for here). Just do that over and over and your fingers will get stronger and more precise, and it'll all sound really solid

but like I said, nice!

Thanks, this is exactly the advice I was looking for. That take was actually pretty early in my practice routine, so it's definitely a sloppier than average on the timing. The advice on how to hold my hand better is much appreciated though. Not having a teacher is bad for technique.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

former glory posted:

Yeah, I didn't even attempt any of that. About the time when I lost all motivation, I remember flipping through those sections and thinking "Only some guitar God could ever manipulate their fingers into those weird jazz shapes. Just a bunch of insane diagrams to a beginner.

I had to pull a few choice excerpts from Guitar for Dummies now that I'm home. All in sequential order:

Finally.

:colbert:

Biggest mistake I made in my journey, but I was a super poor student at the time and couldn't afford more than my Hamer Slammer strat and no-name amp + that book.

I took that book out from the library and I'm very glad money never exchanged hands for it.

Only played turkey in the straw and then returned it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

You're already figured it out, it's right there in the upload.

man, .

Also,

baka kaba posted:

but like I said, nice!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPCEImSfCwc

:yeshaha:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

yep, i gotta echo this. slow it down until the timing is dialed in

playing with a metronome can help, but imo it's just as good (and way more fun) to play along with recordings. ideally, you would be jamming with friends at this point, too

specific to fingerstyle: i find that my fingernails have to be at a very specific length in order to play with good timing. too short or too long, and i can't guess when my finger is going to let the string fly.

longer nails give you more loudness, up to a point. too long, and they will hook on the strings and gently caress up your timing, and they are more vulnerable to breakage. this can be mitigated with proper shaping of the nail, so you get the most volume with the least growth.

i think you could use slightly longer fingernails for this kind of playing, and that this would help you with loudness, tone, and timing. i know you aren't playing a classical guitar, but check this out for some information about optimum nail shape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuq1iSFSGhU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

yep, i gotta echo this. slow it down until the timing is dialed in

playing with a metronome can help, but imo it's just as good (and way more fun) to play along with recordings. ideally, you would be jamming with friends at this point, too

specific to fingerstyle: i find that my fingernails have to be at a very specific length in order to play with good timing. too short or too long, and i can't guess when my finger is going to let the string fly.

longer nails give you more loudness, up to a point. too long, and they will hook on the strings and gently caress up your timing, and they are more vulnerable to breakage. this can be mitigated with proper shaping of the nail, so you get the most volume with the least growth.

i think you could use slightly longer fingernails for this kind of playing, and that this would help you with loudness, tone, and timing. i know you aren't playing a classical guitar, but check this out for some information about optimum nail shape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuq1iSFSGhU

This is great. I've kept some fingernail clippers on my guitar case for a while now, but only for my fretting hand. I'll definitely take this to heart.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I picked up a Harley Benton HB-35+ from Thomann and I'm in love with the darn thing. The shipping from Germany took 12 days, 4 of which were spent in customs in NY.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_hb_35plus_lemon.htm

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

kidkissinger posted:

This is great. I've kept some fingernail clippers on my guitar case for a while now, but only for my fretting hand. I'll definitely take this to heart.

i keep an emery board in there too, because smoothness is important on your right hand fingernails

generally i'll only use the clippers on my right hand if i've REALLY let myself go lol

when that happens, i clip to the approximate shape i'm after, then file it the rest of the way

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gnumonic posted:

So thanks for the replies everyone.

Sweetwater had a Yamaha SLG200N demo (and I had a gift card leftover from the holidays) so I'll see how I gel with that once it gets here. Sounded pretty good in some of the videos I saw at least, and I bet if I run it through the right room IR it'll be good. But if it isn't I can just return it for a Cordoba.

I'm initially just trying to learn basic classical guitar technique. I'll probably start learning jazz eventually, but honestly one of my main motivations is that my wrists just loving HURT if I do my neoclassical shred technique routine two days in a row and I'd like to explore playing without a pick. (I don't like the way steel string acoustics sound.)

gnu, are you still playing that Yamaha SLG200N?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

kidkissinger posted:

Yeah, this is nice. I've recently been transitioning from fingerpicks to bare fingers, and I've been growing my nails out a bit to make for clearer and more precise plucking and brushing.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

kidkissinger posted:

Thanks, this is exactly the advice I was looking for. That take was actually pretty early in my practice routine, so it's definitely a sloppier than average on the timing. The advice on how to hold my hand better is much appreciated though. Not having a teacher is bad for technique.

Yeah and to emphasize, it's already sounding really good.

If you can find a teacher who will do this you can also take just 1 or 2 lessons and ask them to comment on basic things like hand positioning and stuff. That would be more advice if you were really trying to adopt classical technique though. I'm pretty much at a beginner level still but doing that helped me a lot.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Gnumonic posted:

Oh and w/r/t the multiscale stuff: I have small hands and I like to be able to do the three note per string scales and 2/3/4/5 string sweep arpeggios in every position, so anything that's extended scale or multiscale probably isn't gonna work.
Try it in person if you can, seriously. I wasn't sure about multiscale stuff until I tried one in a store (I think it was a Legator or something, one of the Rondo-style Korean manufactured dealies) and it was way easier to work with than I expected. There's something ergonomic about it, I assume the fact that it kinda forces you to rotate your wrist and hand a little in the direction of the fan, that makes it way more comfortable than you might assume at first glance.

Like there are multiscale sevens from Schecter and LTD in your budget so maybe just try one out in a shop before you commit to a shorter scale.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
if you have to have a 7 string, you really gotta think about multiscale for that low B. while we're on Scale Length chat:

today, i tuned my Les Paul to F Standard (F Bb Eb Ab C F, or 1 semitone higher) because i prefer my 25.5" scale Fenders, and wanted to find a way to love this Les Paul (24.75" scale)

to me, it's a big improvement in how it plays and how it sounds. much much brighter!

i was messing with https://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator.html and discovered that it would take a 26.222" scale length instrument to give me the same thing in E Standard tuning. I was just messing with the numbers to get the 1st fret at about 24.75". So, if I'm understanding this right, this Les Paul should now be even brighter than my Strat! Why didn't i think of this sooner?

I'm thinking about keeping it like this! Going to think about it some more, and if I decide to keep it, i'm dialing in the intonation for this tuning :D

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i thought someone might be interested to know which gauges of strings im using, and what it does to the tension on the neck when i crank it up a notch.

these strings are Super Light gauge: .009 .011 .016 .024 .032 .042. i'm using https://tension.stringjoy.com/ for this

so tuning up a half step takes me from 86.8 lbs to 97.4 lbs. for perspective, switching to 10s and using standard tuning would give me 107.9 lbs.

what's interesting about this is how little tension string 2 gets compared to the others. this was true before, but it's really exaggerated now.

and string 1 looks like it might want to snap at this new tuning, where it was fine before. maybe it would be smarter to pick out a custom set of strings for an instrument tuned this way

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

maybe it would be smarter to pick out a custom set of strings for an instrument tuned this way

Yngwie's signature set might be worth a shot: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-yngwie-malmsteen-signature-electric-guitar-strings/j10841000000000

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

osker posted:

I picked up a Harley Benton HB-35+ from Thomann and I'm in love with the darn thing. The shipping from Germany took 12 days, 4 of which were spent in customs in NY.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_hb_35plus_lemon.htm

Happy NGD! That's a sweet-looking axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Death Panel Czar posted:

Try it in person if you can, seriously. I wasn't sure about multiscale stuff until I tried one in a store (I think it was a Legator or something, one of the Rondo-style Korean manufactured dealies) and it was way easier to work with than I expected. There's something ergonomic about it, I assume the fact that it kinda forces you to rotate your wrist and hand a little in the direction of the fan, that makes it way more comfortable than you might assume at first glance.

Like there are multiscale sevens from Schecter and LTD in your budget so maybe just try one out in a shop before you commit to a shorter scale.

Oh I should have mentioned that I used to own a Rondo multiscale 8 string and I didn't like it. It could have been that 8 strings were just too many for my hands (and to be honest I don't know why I bought the thing, I don't like djent, I just want a 7 string so I can play downtuned death metal and 80s shred poo poo on the same guitar). I feel like I could probably get along with something like a 24-26.5 inch multiscale but no one make those.

gnu, are you still playing that Yamaha SLG200N?

Ugh yes. Well sort of. I haven't touched it in a month or two because I've been busy and I have an overwhelming compulsion to prioritize my electric stuff when I don't have that much time to practice. I'm kind of considering selling it to fund more purchases but the last time I sold a classical guitar I regretted it.

I will try to remember how to play the classical part from Trilogy Suite and record it this weekend. I know you really wanted to hear how it sounds and I just keep putting off doing that.