Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I love how the unique donor requirement is somehow so absurdly easy to meet that it's just a useless measure of how much cash you give to Facebook, yet so onerous that it's unfair to a poor struggling work-a-day billionaire like Bloomberg.

It's anything you want it to be, as long as you support billionaires buying their way into the Democratic Party.

Sir, are you suggesting that a rule is being written specifically to empower the ultrawealthy? How obscene! Such a thing never has, and never will happen. Rules, laws, regulations; these are divine principles, bestowed upon us by the great enlightenment brain-gods of rationalism and their prophets the Founding Fathers. The constitution cannot fail, the tyranny of the majority is real, and checks and balances WORK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Remember back during the DNC chair election when the centrist brigade where arguing until they were blue in the face that Perez was just as far to the left as Ellison? Good times.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

PepsiOverCoke posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/30/us/politics/iowa-poll-voters.html?auth=login-email&login=email#commentsContainer

Reposting because I know a few of these folks and they want to know how they are seen outside the state.

They generally seem like morons, OP.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Remember back during the DNC chair election when the centrist brigade where arguing until they were blue in the face that Perez was just as far to the left as Ellison? Good times.

Remember when those same centrists insisted Buttigieg was more left than Ellison, not because they cared whether he was or not, but so they could convince themselves that anyone supporting Ellison was dumber than them and therefore their arguments could just be dismissed without engaging them at all.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
This only helps Sanders so bring it on

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pete shouldn't be on the debate stage either. He's a totally media invented phenomenon.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
but muh joe rogan

PepsiOverCoke
Dec 2, 2019

by Reene

Bushido Brown posted:

They generally seem like morons, OP.

Big oof.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bernie has the anti-mattering shield.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

totally anecdotal, but all my marxist leninist friends are actually talking about voting in the primary for bernie. it's wild since they have been super harsh on electoralism in general, especially after 2016.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

oxsnard posted:

but muh joe rogan

We'll always have weed and chimpanzees, my friend. We just need to learn our lesson and only promote the endorsements of war criminals.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

When a gay canidate is so terrible that he is losing the gay vote.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bill Maher is also dumber than Joe Rogan.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kidkissinger posted:

totally anecdotal, but all my marxist leninist friends are actually talking about voting in the primary for bernie. it's wild since they have been super harsh on electoralism in general, especially after 2016.

Please push them to vote. Bernie is the US left's best shot in decades at, well, anything, really.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Did the FEC deadline already pass?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i guarantee that buttman is super underwater with the LQT portion of that demographic

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

CubanMissile posted:

Should be midnight EST

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

When a gay canidate is so terrible that he is losing the gay vote.

That's part of what's been so great about this primary so far. So many of the candidates running almost entirely on idpol signifiers have crashed and burned pathetically. Harris and Booker, IIRC, only ended up with single-digit support among black voters, while women, LGBTQ+ folks, and POCs have flocked to Bernie. Shockingly, POCs, LGBTQ+ people, and women all want M4A, a Green New Deal, and student loan forgiveness more than they want a minority candidate who won't give them the things they need to survive.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

Not yet!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CubanMissile posted:

I just got a text telling me that I had 7 hours to live donate before the deadline.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

That's part of what's been so great about this primary so far. So many of the candidates running almost entirely on idpol signifiers have crashed and burned pathetically. Harris and Booker, IIRC, only ended up with single-digit support among black voters, while women, LGBTQ+ folks, and POCs have flocked to Bernie. Shockingly, POCs, LGBTQ+ people, and women all want M4A, a Green New Deal, and student loan forgiveness more than they want a minority candidate who won't give them the things they need to survive.
A sign of progress really. I think I would have likely been much more pro-Buttigieg a decade ago. This is why opposition to racism, LGBTphobias, sexism, etc. are essential for working-class movements because opposing those things builds unity within the class. If I'm gay and we smash the phobia, I don't feel like I need to support Mayor Pete.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Warren really collapsed in polls didn't she?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Wonder how much did Bernie raised this month. I would assume 10-15 million

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

A sign of progress really. I think I would have likely been much more pro-Buttigieg a decade ago. This is why opposition to racism, LGBTphobias, sexism, etc. are essential for working-class movements because opposing those things builds unity within the class. If I'm gay and we smash the phobia, I don't feel like I need to support Mayor Pete.

Plus I'm sure the campaign doing a good job of tying in LGBTQ+ issues directly to M4A, etc, didn't hurt. That's something they can continue to improve upon, of course, but my goodness, they're doing a much better job of it now than they did four years ago.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

She and Bernie are basically switched compared to a few months ago

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

oxsnard posted:

Wonder how much did Bernie raised this month. I would assume 10-15 million

My guess is $15m-$20m range.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Project Ratfuck may already be underway.

DES MOINES, Iowa — A small group of Democratic National Committee members has privately begun gauging support for a plan to potentially weaken Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign and head off a brokered convention.

In conversations on the sidelines of a DNC executive committee meeting and in telephone calls and texts in recent days, about a half-dozen members have discussed the possibility of a policy reversal to ensure that so-called superdelegates can vote on the first ballot at the party’s national convention. Such a move would increase the influence of DNC members, members of Congress and other top party officials, who now must wait until the second ballot to have their say if the convention is contested.

https://t.co/7Ppot08hlM?amp=1

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Candidate Plans forgot to wait until after she won the primary to tack right and abandon M4A, instead deciding to do it after a big poll bump that put her near the top. Whoops!

Vox Nihili posted:

DES MOINES, Iowa — A small group of Democratic National Committee members has privately begun gauging support for a plan to potentially weaken Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign and head off a brokered convention.

In conversations on the sidelines of a DNC executive committee meeting and in telephone calls and texts in recent days, about a half-dozen members have discussed the possibility of a policy reversal to ensure that so-called superdelegates can vote on the first ballot at the party’s national convention. Such a move would increase the influence of DNC members, members of Congress and other top party officials, who now must wait until the second ballot to have their say if the convention is contested.

Yeah I've been expecting this for a while. Time will tell if they have the stones and/or hubris to actually do it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Vox Nihili posted:

Won't work because jebmap.png

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Seems to me like the DNC is asking, nay, begging, to have their offices swamped by furious Bernie supporters.:getin:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Its gonna be like 3 people coming up with a plan and then leaking it to Politico hoping for it to catch on

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

kidkissinger posted:

Are they registered as Democrats? My biggest fear for Sanders is a good number of people who would support him won’t be able to vote in the primary because they aren’t registered (or if they are registered didn’t check the Democratic Party box).

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Vox Nihili posted:

these people are complete idiots but even they should understand that switching back to superdelegates deciding on the first ballot right when bernie is doing well in the polls is so blatant that no amount of media spin will fool anyone

but they were also dumb enough to let hillary run in 2016 so who knows, maybe they'll kill their party for good

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
If Bernie is leading in delegates and they ratfuck him, it'll be such a self own, especially considering that Trump is in the middle of imploding the entire republican party

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

They're so goddamn stupid they don't even realize that a rule change like that would guarantee an overwhelming Bernie victory.

Bernie basically has the Keystone Kops plotting against him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nelson posted:

Are they registered as Democrats? My biggest fear for Sanders is a good number of people who would support him won’t be able to vote in the primary because they aren’t registered (or if they are registered didn’t check the Democratic Party box).

Some states let you declare or change your registration at the door.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

This would backfire so hard, I hope they do it lamo

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

RottenK posted:

these people are complete idiots but even they should understand that switching back to superdelegates deciding on the first ballot right when bernie is doing well in the polls is so blatant that no amount of media spin will fool anyone

but they were also dumb enough to let hillary run in 2016 so who knows, maybe they'll kill their party for good

they dont need to fool anyone, they arent elected

e: this is the same DNC that lost a presidential election to Clown Hitler, self-own is basically the game plan as far as I can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PepsiOverCoke posted:

Did the campaign itself attack sunrisemovement or is that just something a media outlet did?

Also showing up on a show doesn't mean you have their endorsement.

I think we're stretching here.

Also I genuinely thought no one liked Bloomberg but that dude in the Iowa interviews legit said Bloomberg was his first choice and his second choice was "The other rich one". So. Yay rural Democrats in Iowa.

No, they didn't attack sunrise movement directly, but they sent out a campaign email saying that Bernie was using "dark money" when it was announced the sunrise and the other organizations listed there were spending money as a pac to elect Bernie.

As for the "appearing on show versus endorsement:"

I am pretty sure that, if people were asked a month ago if they saw some significant difference between just appearing on a problematic celebrity's show and being endorsed by said celebrity, no one would have said so. In fact, given that not too long ago people were making the argument that Bernie appearing on Fox by itself was problematic, it is clear that it wasn't seen as a big difference then. It has only become a big difference after the fact and after every candidate has done every media appearance they could land, and it is clear that it is a distinction that is only being made to be able to attack Bernie directly.