Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the Super Bowl?
This poll is closed.
Kansas City Chiefs 65 0.71%
San Francisco 49ers 42 0.46%
Goku 9016 98.52%
Lamar is the MVP 28 0.31%
Total: 9151 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Somewhere in New York, Adam Silver quietly smiles as the NBA overtakes the popular consciousness on the NFL's biggest weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

a neat cape posted:

I hate the Lakers and rooted against Kobe for two decades and this entire week has left me in a very sad daze

Me too. Every time I see news of his death I get surprised again. The words “Kobe Bryant is dead” are still not sunk in, and I was never a fan of his really. His daughter going with him of course adds another magnitude to the tragedy, but I suppose it’s nice they hit the afterlife together

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Android Apocalypse posted:

Somewhere in New York, Adam Silver quietly smiles as the NBA overtakes the popular consciousness on the NFL's biggest weekend.

At the same time, the NBA's ratings are sinking and their salary cap is flatlining because of the revenue loss from that dude saying Hong Kong rules.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mastershakeman posted:

What really made Kobe have such a huge impact? Being the face of the league post Jordan as it moved to hd+LA? It's weird because I never thought of him as much more than a higher volume Reggie Miller and didn't pay much attention to the NBA between Jordan retiring in 98 and them getting Rose

Kobe has almost nothing in common with Miller besides being shooting guards, very weird comparison

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

At the same time, the NBA's ratings are sinking and their salary cap is flatlining because of the revenue loss from that dude saying Hong Kong rules.

I wonder how much of the ratings dip come from lebron being on the west coast where 3/4s of his games tip off at 10pm EST

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Kobe has almost nothing in common with Miller besides being shooting guards, very weird comparison

Kobe literally modeled his entire game off of MJ. He's the closest thing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kalli posted:

That didn’t happen btw. The revenue rose slightly less (.8% less) than they expected. Turns out China doesn’t matter

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Me too. Every time I see news of his death I get surprised again. The words “Kobe Bryant is dead” are still not sunk in, and I was never a fan of his really. His daughter going with him of course adds another magnitude to the tragedy, but I suppose it’s nice they hit the afterlife together

Why would you imply Kobe’s daughter went to hell, super hosed up

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DeimosRising posted:

Maybe he meant Cheryl.

The best thing about that 30 for 30 about the Nicks and Pacers was Cheryl relentlessly talking poo poo on Reggie.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kalli posted:

The top basketball players are a brand and far, far more popular then any NFL player could hope to be.

He was the best player on the most famous team who won a bunch of championships over a 2 decade career.

Shaq was way better than Kobe on those teams

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

a neat cape posted:

Kobe literally modeled his entire game off of MJ. He's the closest thing.

Yeah sure, but the comparison was Reggie Miller.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
True, but Shaq didn't have the dedication to the game like Kobe did.

Kobe saw Jordan's maniacal drive and modeled his career after it. Meanwhile, Shaq did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GfdemcL35A

Real talk though, Steel was the worse acting job compared to Kazaam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAWWmLfkWo

In the Shaq/Kobe feud, I sided wirth Shaq

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I watched Kobe's last game instead of the Warriors winning 73

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Spoeank posted:

I'm making 6 pounds of smoked heroin wings (with cayenne added) on Sunday morning to take to my friend's house. No, I don't know why they're called that

The secret ingredient is heroin.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > The Football Funhouse > Super Bowl Week News/Views: (Throws ball) "KOBE!"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kalli posted:

That dude was 100% in the right.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > The Football Funhouse > Super Bowl Week News/Views: (Throws ball) "KOBE!"

The fake throw with no flinch was right there man.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

latinotwink1997 posted:

The secret ingredient is heroin.
Nodding off during the Super Bowl is not recommended.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
apparently my kid's elementary school had a chiefs "pep rally" wherein they did the tomahawk chop for like 15 minutes

i just wrote my first angry email to a principal

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Daryl Morey may have been right in his Hong Kong statements & is considered Stat Jesus amongst the analytics crowd, but not knowing that China is a huge market that his business is trying to step into shows how little he knows regarding the capitalistic system he's a part of.
:capitalism:

Grittybeard posted:

The fake throw with no flinch was right there man.

gently caress, I forgot about Matt Barnes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DeimosRising posted:

They were both pretenders to Jordan's throne

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

gently caress, I forgot about Matt Barnes.

I just watched the whole thing again and the T on Howard around 1:20 with no foul on Kobe is ridiculous.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

New avatar, long overdue for something positive. :unsmith:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

True, but Shaq didn't have the dedication to the game like Kobe did.

Kobe saw Jordan's maniacal drive and modeled his career after it. Meanwhile, Shaq did this:

Modeling yourself after a legendary rear end in a top hat is not a good thing. Besides, Kobe wasn't even the biggest rear end in a top hat in the league anyway. That was KG.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Modeling yourself after a legendary rear end in a top hat is not a good thing. Besides, Kobe wasn't even the biggest rear end in a top hat in the league anyway. That was KG.

Normally I'd agree, but if the end result gets you championships, the admiration of your fans, and immortality, then it's understandable to think the ends justify the means.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kobe was the top NBA personality in the league and is the only NBA superstar to die this early or this tragically.

Granted I do live in Los Angeles but this city is fractured, emotionally. Kobe was way more popular than Magic or Kareem which is insane.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

a neat cape posted:

I hate the Lakers and rooted against Kobe for two decades and this entire week has left me in a very sad daze

Same. Kobe Bryant dying is like Michael Jackson dying. Ironically they’re both sex pests too haha. But my point is that they both transcended what made them famous and losing a person like kobe Bryant so abruptly and so tragically doesn’t compute and it’s like a piece of your childhood died. RIP

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how Dolores O’Riordan and Whitney Houston and Whitney Houston's daughter all died by accidentally drowning in their bathtubs.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

kiimo posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how Dolores O’Riordan and Whitney Houston and Whitney Houston's daughter all died by accidentally drowning in their bathtubs.

The Tub Assassin has been busy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
But enough about Robert Kraft.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mega64 posted:

But enough about Robert Kraft.

No, he's the Tug Assassin.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Is Super Bowl gonna be on streaming services? Also what’s the difference between HD, 4K and UHD?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Is Super Bowl gonna be on streaming services? Also what’s the difference between HD, 4K and UHD?

HD < UHD < 4K

edit: but UHD is 'close' to 4K.

UHD is 3840px across, 4K is 4096px. HD, in comparison, is 1920px across

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 1, 2020

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

New audible: "kobe" means you spike it into the ground

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

HD < UHD < 4K

edit: but UHD is 'close' to 4K.

UHD is 3840px across, 4K is 4096px. HD, in comparison, is 1920px across

Almost all TVs advertised as 4K and the content for those TVs is 3840 also. 4096 is pretty much only used by the cinema industry as far as I'm aware.

Edit: To clarify, it is 2160 vertical resolution for both, so 3840x2160 vs 4096x2160. 3840x2160 is the same aspect ratio as basically every modern screen in your house. Movies have a slightly longer horizontal aspect ratio but we have already been dealing with that when transferring to home video for decades.

Jivesauce fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 1, 2020

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Someone caved.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

wandler20 posted:

Someone caved.

gently caress yeah, no bunny ears for me this year!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kalli posted:

Baseball's coming back! You can't piss off China if all your audiences is regional audiences *taps head*

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Someone caved.

Now I need to try and dig up the roku stick I have somewhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

got any sevens posted:

New audible: "kobe" means you spike it into the ground

I would not be shocked if Mahomes or Jimmy shout "Kobe" while calling a play Sunday.