Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Books On Tape posted:

Multiply these by at least ten to get the real numbers, guaranteed. So, almost 3,000 dead, over 100,000 infected.

Citation Needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Honest Question. Do you really think China would order the closing of all non-essential businesses over only 200 deaths?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Books On Tape posted:

Honest Question. Do you really think China would order the closing of all non-essential businesses over only 200 deaths?

Stick to the facts, nerd.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Books On Tape posted:

No I just don't think you're in a position to be crunching numbers and guaranteeing anything, forums poster Books on Tape.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

No I just don't think you're in a position to be crunching numbers and guaranteeing anything, forums poster Books on Tape.

i am, communists lie that's what they do so what they are telling everyone isn't true

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

200 people dying is propably the hourly average of people dying of smog in china.

My theory is that China has been waiting for this to happen as they are propably well aware that they are a hotbed for the next superplague, and they're using this as a test run for when the big one hits. They can try out all their containment plans, show great leadership with Chinese characteristics, and learn what actually is going to work.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
There's some statistical analysis around # of infected in order to see the spread of the disease overseas

Jan 18th: E: just read it, it breaks down dates/numbers
https://www.businessinsider.com/new-china-virus-likely-infected-1723-not-45-scientists-2020-1

Jan 25th analysis:
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/news--wuhan-coronavirus/

tldr: way bigger than china is reporting

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Books On Tape posted:

Multiply these by at least ten to get the real numbers, guaranteed. So, almost 3,000 dead, over 100,000 infected.

Actually I find if you multiply them by a million you get much bigger numbers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Books On Tape posted:

Like has to be repeated over and over, the death rate when care is available is pretty high but the real problem is the viral pneumonia. Death rate becomes a lot higher if intensive care can't be provided.

Also, if the death rate is even 1% then that's enough reason to be extremely worried when you have over a billion people.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Books On Tape posted:

Wuhan is like the London Ontario of china so yeah why not. Also it’s obviously the rate and not the current number that they are concerned about, just like the rest of us.

(I’m not saying that China’s not lying about it tho)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Books On Tape posted:

we heard you the first ten times, dude

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Golli posted:

So are the Chinese construction workers the Modern-day Chernobyl coal miners?

Heroic effort that doesn’t actually help in the end yet dooms them to painful death.

I don't know anything about the construction workers, but the Chernobyl miners performed an important task and only seemingly unexpected peroxide formation left it unutilized

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Using the SIR epidemiological model, using the 11000 infection number, the predicted removal rate (through death or cure) is 785 per day with a 14 day infectious period.

Which is more than they are reporting.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

A man once said, "[Donald Trump] don't trust China, China is rear end in a top hat." I am not the smartest man in the world, but I think those words possess a certain wisdom.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Books On Tape posted:

infected yes, dead no

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Death toll up to 259

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1223372109243613189

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1223396372159901697

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
https://twitter.com/TheLancet/status/1223258649822474241

tl;dr most people who get it don't seek medical treatment

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

so, the common belief is that the dead number is probably much higher?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

https://twitter.com/TheLancet/status/1223258649822474241

tl;dr most people who get it don't seek medical treatment

Because they don't need treatment? Or because they're dying alone in their tiny apartments?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rad-daddio posted:

so, the common belief is that the dead number is probably much higher?

I've assumed the infected number is much higher and it's probably less deadly than the reported numbers suggest.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
im vu

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Because they don't need treatment? Or because they're dying alone in their tiny apartments?

yes

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Son of Rodney posted:

200 people dying is propably the hourly average of people dying of smog in china.

My theory is that China has been waiting for this to happen as they are propably well aware that they are a hotbed for the next superplague, and they're using this as a test run for when the big one hits. They can try out all their containment plans, show great leadership with Chinese characteristics, and learn what actually is going to work.

My countertheory is that they mostly hoped it wouldn't happen again and preparation for such a thing is done so on an individual basis throughout the party. Said preparation is limited to a mental note of at least one other person you can pin this on so you don't get any heat for not being prepared for it. Everything we see now as "the response" is cobbled together from last-minute meetings and half-finished plans from when SARS was a threat.

e: my reference for this is based on my experience working in business offices in the united states

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Son of Rodney posted:

No way the Chinese Communist Party is that forward thinking.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Uhhh, so the US government just announced it was going to bar entry to most US foreign nationals who've been to China in the past 2 weeks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/business/china-travel-coronavirus.html

Everything's... fine?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
thats a pretty bad sign, that didnt happen with the ebola outbreaks

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Books On Tape posted:

Isn't that still nothing compared to a bad flu season in any country with hundreds of millions of people?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

OMFG FURRY posted:

thats a pretty bad sign, that didnt happen with the ebola outbreaks

Our stable genius was advocating for it during the Ebola outbreak

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Biohazard posted:

Admit it, the end days would be way more fun if we knew we engineered ourselves to extinction.

Technically we have ?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Isn't that still nothing compared to a bad flu season in any country with hundreds of millions of people?

Annually influenza kills ~500k-700k worldwide.

The last pandemic with similar mortality rate as the corona virus (~3% based on Chinas reported figures) was 1918 Spanish flu.

65 million dead worldwide.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

A lot of that depends on how you count a flu death.

The US counts a Flu death if you have some underlying issue and the flu does you in.

China counts a Flu death if that was the only thing wrong with you and you die.

China claims to only have 150 (ish) flu deaths a year.

The US says the following,

quote:

So far, 10,000 people have died and 180,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC

Take that for what you will when it comes to the numbers in China.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
So according to https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
And all talk of China's likelihood of publishing false stats aside --

They've added around 1500-2000 per day for the last five days

25: 2.7k
26: 4.4k (+1.7)
27: 6k (+1.6)
28: 7.7k (+1.7)
29: 9.7k (+2)
30: 11.2k (+1.5)

What's the likelihood that those numbers represent the limit of their ability to diagnose new cases per day, and not the actual rate of new infections?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

just another posted:

So according to https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
And all talk of China's likelihood of publishing false stats aside --

They've added around 1500-2000 per day for the last five days

25: 2.7k
26: 4.4k (+1.7)
27: 6k (+1.6)
28: 7.7k (+1.7)
29: 9.7k (+2)
30: 11.2k (+1.5)

What's the likelihood that those numbers represent the limit of their ability to diagnose new cases per day, and not the actual rate of new infections?
Pretty high, especially since you can be infectious and asymptomatic, and you need a hospital scanner to actually check and see if you have anything that would tell them you are infected before showing outward symptoms.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-coronavirus-contain.html#virulence

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I saw that this afternoon, and I was surprised that bird flu was that lethal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thank you doctor for this informative graph.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

I saw that this afternoon, and I was surprised that bird flu was that lethal.

IIRC it basically liquified your lungs and made your immune system go into overload

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

IIRC it basically liquified your lungs and made your immune system go into overload

Corona needs to step up its game imo

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
It burns when I fart. Corona?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

PyPy posted:

It burns when I fart. Corona?

plz stop fear mongering