Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

They've cemented a bangjillion young conservative federal judges on the bench to lifetime appointments thanks to 2016. This "short term victory" is gonna last a long frickin time...

And counterpacking with twice as many young qualified judges not only takes a simple minority, but is a good idea just due to overloaded federal courts already. Without even being as hot-button as packing SCOTUS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

All of this was pre-ordained the moment the Dems took the House and whiffed grabbing the Senate. We've simply caught up to that moment physically so it's as good a time as any to vent one's feelings over it.

The only "good" thing is that it's over something so stupid and criminal. They don't get anything from this, they only don't lose their President. He didn't even commit a useful crime that they're forced to very publicly cover him for!

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Man, I thought McConnell had run out of ways to wipe his dick over the constitution after the Garland thing but... WOW

The Constitution is bad and is a big reason any of this is a problem.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lambert posted:

What "short term victories"? The Republican party has been the driving force in US politics for the past 10 years, now.

"10"

10!

10...ahaha

Lmao...10

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I really want a senator to tweet "all hail king trump"

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Retro42 posted:

So if I understand this right, the GOP is basically arguing amongst themselves whether to wrap this up before the Super Bowl or before the SOTU?

What the gently caress.

Well, as I understand it Trump really wants it done before the SOTU so he can claim he's been totally vindicated and cleared of all charges of the perfect phone call, despite the call only being the topper of the whole mess but that's neither here nor there. I don't know if he's going to be at the Super Bowl at all, given the teams playing in it. He's just going to seethe and tweet and maybe rant a little while the helicopter is spinning up in the background.

And since the GOP seems to be getting their marching orders from McConnell et al I think it's safe to say they whatever political capital Trump has is a remnant of what he used to ram Kavanagh through; I can hope we'd be reaching a breaking point soon, but there were numerous lines in the sand that the Republicans should have hesitated before crossing and at most they've done so with the barest hesitation.

Killer robot posted:

And counterpacking with twice as many young qualified judges not only takes a simple minority, but is a good idea just due to overloaded federal courts already. Without even being as hot-button as packing SCOTUS.

I think that would be the best strategy. Not only as a counterbalance but also consider that no judge works on their own. They have support staff at all levels, and if you're a young lawyer or paralegal and you had a choice would go want to go work for Judge A who was appointed by Trump, despite doing everything except for making GBS threads his pants and stroking out live on TV while AOC grills you on your lack of experience (for example,) or Judge B who was appointed by a Democrat president, who's confirmation hearing went relatively smoothly and has a proven track record as a litigator, you'd likely apply to Judge B. Much like working in his administration I predict that being a Trump judge will be the kiss of death as far as their careers are concerned.

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 1, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1223386134765604866

it will not be done before the sotu

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ManBoyChef posted:

I really want a senator to tweet "all hail king trump"

They’re not that dumb. Some MAGA bot account is going to post a picture of Trump with that stupid Notorious RBG crown photoshopped on his head and they’ll simply like or retweet it.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I decided to tally up the senate vote by the population that each senator represents. Senate votes for witnesses represent 170,390,090 people. Senate votes against represent 156,966,737 (population numbers from wikipedia). That's 52%-48% for witnesses.

I've been meaning to write a twitter bot to do this for all senate business for a while now but :effort:.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

nine-gear crow posted:

All of this was pre-ordained the moment the Dems took the House and whiffed grabbing the Senate. We've simply caught up to that moment physically so it's as good a time as any to vent one's feelings over it.

Getting the Senate in 2018 was almost impossible.

That said, it's certainly possible to do so in 2020.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Watch Trump cite some bullshit reason and try to delay the SOTU until after the acquittal.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Xombie posted:

In the last 3 years they've lost the majority of governorships, all of Virginia, the US House of Representatives, and a Senate seat in Alabama of all places.

Predicting the end of the GOP is ridiculous. They have a severe structural advantage in the Senate, and you don't even have to go back too far to see similar predictions be laughably wrong. Look at the period from 2006-2010. That was the last time the GOP was supposed to be dead and buried.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

wielder posted:

Getting the Senate in 2018 was almost impossible.

That said, it's certainly possible to do so in 2020.

It's a really similar setup this time. We really really needed that Florida seat. If we had it, I'd almost certainly bet on taking the Senate this year.

Sub Par posted:

Predicting the end of the GOP is ridiculous. They have a severe structural advantage in the Senate, and you don't even have to go back too far to see similar predictions be laughably wrong. Look at the period from 2006-2010. That was the last time the GOP was supposed to be dead and buried.
Their voters are dying. Demographics are still destiny, but pretending like we were there in 2008 was loving stupid.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Xombie posted:

In the last 3 years they've lost the majority of governorships, all of Virginia, the US House of Representatives, and a Senate seat in Alabama of all places.

Exactly this. They have lost whatever core beliefs they had and have become a party of criminality, grifters and obstruction. Their base of voters is a mixture of the elderly, open racists and gullible simpletons. The party has not grown and is increasingly relying upon outright illegal or at the very least sketchy ways of keeping what power they have.

With doubling down with open racism, especially with the treatment latino and middle eastern people, you will have lost the votes from those demographics for GENERATIONS. The country is becoming less white, younger and much more liberal.

So yes, the last I would say 25 years has been quite good for the GOP the cracks are starting to form and they starting to have consequences.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1223351951963967488
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1223381882902986752

the king is up.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah their voters are dying, but TYOOL 2020 isn't gonna be where this happens. Maaaaaaybe there will be some play in 2024 or so, but I doubt it. People have been making the demographics are destiny argument my whole life and basically nothing has changed.

Granted, I may be especially jaded having grown up in Texas, and I just can't stand people saying TX is gonna go blue just any day now, just you watch.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

It's a really similar setup this time. We really really needed that Florida seat. If we had it, I'd almost certainly bet on taking the Senate this year.

Their voters are dying. Demographics are still destiny, but pretending like we were there in 2008 was loving stupid.

Deep down I really hate the fact that for the GOP to be fixed my parents and their entire generation has to die. If there was another way I’d welcome it, but the old people are broken.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Sub Par posted:

Yeah their voters are dying, but TYOOL 2020 isn't gonna be where this happens. Maaaaaaybe there will be some play in 2024 or so, but I doubt it. People have been making the demographics are destiny argument my whole life and basically nothing has changed.

Granted, I may be especially jaded having grown up in Texas, and I just can't stand people saying TX is gonna go blue just any day now, just you watch.

Gerrymandering and voter suppression is gonna get increasingly blatant and blunt

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

They’re not that dumb. Some MAGA bot account is going to post a picture of Trump with that stupid Notorious RBG crown photoshopped on his head and they’ll simply like or retweet it.

ya there are a ton to choose from, here's a decent one

https://twitter.com/ComfortablySmug/status/1223387317672599552

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sub Par posted:

i live in a purplish part PA and its kinda mixed. i have seen maga chuds but maybe like 5 hats in the 3 years. they are either dumb angry kids in fent ridden towns or old angry boomers who got hosed by the factories dying and or mad minorities are starting to appear outside cities.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Sub Par posted:

Boomer death started in ~2016, and it will have a significant effect on this next election.

By 2028, the GOP will have lost nearly 20 million boomers and silents. That's a death knell. We just need to win this year.

Don't despair, do something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mnoba posted:

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/mschlapp/status/1223379382003294208

oh no mitt

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Sub Par posted:

See the post you quoted. What exactly is their path back? Their demographic problems aren't fixed, it's accelerating.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Mnoba posted:

I'm not too bothered by this because god drat am I sick of seeing the same thing applied to Hillary/warren/pelosi

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Mnoba posted:

The orange fascist ABSOLUTELY likes the W40K God Emperor over any GOT reference.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Xombie posted:

See the post you quoted. What exactly is their path back? Their demographic problems aren't fixed, it's accelerating.

Well, the path is cheating, like they're already doing. But they're not there yet.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The deep state is really bad at their thing

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol. one of the better side effects is the base is gonna loving go nuts on anyone who doesnt blow trump and talk about how the call was perfect even though they saved his fat rear end.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Blister posted:

Gerrymandering and voter suppression is gonna get increasingly blatant and blunt

They're going to lose this power as their voters die off and they lose more state governments. You can make as many 500mi horseshoe districts as you want, but you still need warm bodies to fill them.

Virginia is a prime example of how gerrymandering can't save the GOP forever.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 1, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
E: loving hell wrong thread lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Well, the path is cheating, like they're already doing. But they're not there yet.

well judging by the various elections the least 3 years. they havent been doing it well.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
The lesson history has taught me is that in these moments, we do not have sufficient foresight to see what their path back is. They were supposed to be broken in 1992. And in 2006. And in 2010. And now.

Old people do not have a monopoly on bad ideas. If all the olds die, the GOP will coalesce around some other, softer racism like they tried during George W Bush's years. And it seems likely to me that it will continue working for at least a good 20 years. But like I said, I may be too jaded and this isn't the place so I'll just concede I might be wrong and drop it.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Xombie posted:

They're going to lose this power as their voters die off and they lose more state governments. You can make as many 500mi horseshoe districts as you want, but you still need warm bodies to fill them.

Virginia is a prime example of how gerrymandering can't save the TOP forever.

Gerrymandering is dangerous for exactly the reasons present now. The whole point is to put juuuust enough of your votes in each district to guarantee a win and do the opposite with the other side.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

E: loving hell wrong thread lol

What up, fellow goon who’s ping ponging between Picard Thread and Impeachment Thread :):hf::)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

nine-gear crow posted:

What up, fellow goon who’s ping ponging between Picard Thread and Impeachment Thread :):hf::)

I busted a gut laughing at my gently caress up, I needed that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, Watch Star Trek: Picard now streaming on CBS All Access and Amazon Prime. It’s not awful.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kicking out Romney 1: makes Lee leave them party and 2: makes November verrrrrrry interesting

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Sub Par posted:

The Senate essentially ensures they only need to hold about 10-20% of the population to maintain universal veto power over nearly all legislative function. Even if they were somehow squirreled away into electoral irrelevance in Presidential and House elections, the Senate ensures they can block nearly every legislative function with minimal representation. We've seen how effective this can be, if we look to 2009 through 2016 for an example.

EDIT: fixed a loving tautology.

Xaiter fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sub Par posted:

The lesson history has taught me is that in these moments, we do not have sufficient foresight to see what their path back is. They were supposed to be broken in 1992. And in 2006. And in 2010. And now.

Old people do not have a monopoly on bad ideas. If all the olds die, the GOP will coalesce around some other, softer racism like they tried during George W Bush's years. And it seems likely to me that it will continue working for at least a good 20 years. But like I said, I may be too jaded and this isn't the place so I'll just concede I might be wrong and drop it.

this. i believe the out and out nazi bigotry poo poo will probably be forced underground for vaguer awful poo poo. hell the main GOP may try to go socially liberal because even the zoomer chuds are pretty ok with gender and sexuality.