Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Old Story posted:

it's crazy how few deaths there have been outside of Hubei. If you exclude it, the fatality rate is like 0.2% (about 4000 cases, 9 deaths). Wonder just how overwhelmed the hospitals there are

outside of hubei people have had the disease for a much shorter time on average - give it a few days to see a more accurate mortality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So 1350 new cases and 45 deaths, with another update coming a bit later tonight, are we still continuing to have successively larger/deadlier reports?

How many recoveries?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

does the US have legal right to hold people against their will for quarantines?

Haha

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

how many child soldiers do we have from Afghanistan still in cuba

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its america, a judge will approve anything

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I mean, the US Gov can legally murder it's own citizens with basically no judicial oversight/review, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say yes.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sunnybrook-coronavirus-patient-1.5447251

Ontario health officials confirmed a third person has tested positive for coronavirus, just hours after a Toronto hospital released the country's first patient with a confirmed case of the disease.

The newly confirmed patient is a woman in her 20s from London, Ont., the province said. She arrived in Canada on Jan. 23 from Wuhan, China.

The woman's case is different from Ontario's first two confirmed cases, health officials said, because she originally tested negative for coronavirus and was initially asymptomatic.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Old Story posted:

it's crazy how few deaths there have been outside of Hubei. If you exclude it, the fatality rate is like 0.2% (about 4000 cases, 9 deaths). Wonder just how overwhelmed the hospitals there are

4000 cases. You can't count the currently sick towards the mortality rate, because they are still sick and may die still. There will be an actual number, probably some time in the next week or two, just be patient.

That said, I remember seeing a doctor out of Hong Kong saying 2%, but I honestly can't remember the source. It's back in the thread somewhere, but seeing as I haven't seen the number since, take that with a grain of salt

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mdemone posted:

I'm not buying it either, but your statement is demonstrably untrue in the era of CRISPR.

CRISPR is neat but it's still like, sperm stage of a pregnancy. Some of the crispr spinoffs seem more promising but they haven't even really been able to make it work on simple plants yet and only some extremely small "proof-of-concept" hey we do things with it lab tests. even trying to edit and re-write viral genomes is too much. it's sort of the self-driving cars of bio-tech, "its just right around the corner!" they'll be saying for 10 years while new problems arrises and it's stil not even close.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 1, 2020

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Spain’s National Centre for Microbiology has confirmed the country’s first case of coronavirus after a man was diagnosed with the virus on the remote island of La Gomera in the Canaries, the Health Ministry said late on Friday.

The patient is part of a group of five people taken into observation on the island and isolated after it was found they had come into contact with a German man diagnosed with the virus.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

So 1350 new cases and 45 deaths, with another update coming a bit later tonight, are we still continuing to have successively larger/deadlier reports?

How many recoveries?

dont you mean 'cures'?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

probably not but if they do it anyways you'd have to go to court to get them to stop, lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Third World Reagan posted:

how many child soldiers do we have from Afghanistan still in cuba

none, they're all adults now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sunnybrook-coronavirus-patient-1.5447251

Ontario health officials confirmed a third person has tested positive for coronavirus, just hours after a Toronto hospital released the country's first patient with a confirmed case of the disease.

The newly confirmed patient is a woman in her 20s from London, Ont., the province said. She arrived in Canada on Jan. 23 from Wuhan, China.

The woman's case is different from Ontario's first two confirmed cases, health officials said, because she originally tested negative for coronavirus and was initially asymptomatic.

... they aren't quarantining her?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Xaris posted:

CRISPR is neat but it's still like, sperm stage of a pregnancy. Some of the crispr spinoffs seem more promising but they haven't even really been able to make it work on simple plants yet and only some extremely small "proof-of-concept" hey we do things with it lab tests. even trying to edit and re-write viral genomes is too much. it's sort of the self-driving cars of bio-tech, "its just right around the corner!" they'll be saying for 10 years while new problems arrises and it's stil not even close.

This is wildly inaccurate.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

none, they're all adults now.

throws people into child jails on the border or in cuba
keeps them forever
seperates the children into adoption

hey guys, does america have a legal right...

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Spain’s National Centre for Microbiology has confirmed the country’s first case of coronavirus after a man was diagnosed with the virus on the remote island of La Gomera in the Canaries, the Health Ministry said late on Friday.

The patient is part of a group of five people taken into observation on the island and isolated after it was found they had come into contact with a German man diagnosed with the virus.

No one expects the Spanish Canary Islands.

That requires a lot of close quarters travel and interaction to get there.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

For gently caress's sake I just spent a week in the Canaries.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Vlex posted:

You're our canary in the coal mine!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I will live post my death rattle. I'm now back in a major UK metropolitan area too, fun!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Vlex posted:

put a GoPro in ur bronchial passages, live feed of the lung action

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYKeefzKGOI

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
We have a new death count: 258

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i remember the old days(like two years ago) when people were like theres no way its as bad as those CHINESE doctors are saying they dont know anything

and now its like, yea you can spread for like two weeks asymptomatic and the test for it doesnt even work except on a good day

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
The most revealing symptom of coronavirus is death.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

SKULL.GIF posted:

... they aren't quarantining her?

sounds like she showed symptoms, then recovered in 2 to 3 days. Presumably once you beat the infection you're no longer contagious. The other case was symptomatic, but treated in hospital and released, and that guys wife was also infected, but showed no symptoms.

Ontario actually has a really good public health system, due to being loving traumatized by SARS in 2003

Old Story fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 1, 2020

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Vlex posted:

Were you on La Gomera.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Lote posted:

Were you on La Gomera.

No but the German tourist likely entered through Las Palmas airport, which was my entry and exit too.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Old Story posted:

Ontario actually has a really good public health system, due to being loving traumatized by SARS in 2003

Don't forget H1N1!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im curious if the german tourist had also been in Wuhan. if not we have this spreading internationally disconnected from china. which seems bad.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Everyone has the virus but no one is gonna die from it unless you make physical contact with someone else

so most of you goons are safe

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Vlex posted:

:rip:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lote posted:

No one expects the Spanish Canary Islands.

That requires a lot of close quarters travel and interaction to get there.

I don't think were getting a Witcher season 2

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

im curious if the german tourist had also been in Wuhan. if not we have this spreading internationally disconnected from china. which seems bad.

The German guy only had been in contact with infected people in Germany. He’s part of that group of like 6 that got infected from the same company.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
100% of people who contract Wuhan flu will, eventually, die

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

i can hope corona wipes out the british because i am one. you cannot stop me hoping for that.

Don't worry everyone else wants that too

Marlow
Jan 11, 2007

Foreign dokaebi
Ahh time to unwind after a stressful week of work with some video games, take my mind off of the likely out of control coronavirus...

Marlow fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 1, 2020

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

I've heard a little talk about antiviral drugs, anyone know anything about what's going on there? Do they work as a preventative measure or for treating infected people? Are they just a new thing so we aren't really sure how to most effectively/safely use them?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Watch Contagion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

m-m-m-m-my corona