Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flashman posted:

Ive been avoiding the underhook because everyone's horny for darce at my club, but maybe that's an execution problem on my end.

I was having a lot of problems with this until I got corrected to really stick my ear to their chest, but I still get caught with it sometimes when I’m shooting the underhook with too much separation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ihop posted:

Didn't Xande tear through the ADCC trials or something this last year with multiple no-gi closed guard armbars? Roger Gracie is also known for his closed guard & armbars. Both are strong contenders for All Time Greats.

I like the closed guard and hit the armbar all the time when people try to stand up without controlling my hips.

i actually was thinking of roger when i added the 'last ten years' caveat but i think he was still competing 10 years ago. or maybe he was just losing to the guy who is, i assume, still looking for adolf hitler

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm in Venice Beach/Santa Monica next week for work any suggestions for gyms?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When people try to Darce me off of the underhook I stall it by kinda clamping my arm down and then reach through to grab their far foot with my free hand, which I then pass to the underhooking hand for an easy sweep

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

flashman posted:

Ive been avoiding the underhook because everyone's horny for darce at my club, but maybe that's an execution problem on my end. I liked the octopus stuff though thanks for the link. Gonna dig a bit deeper into the suggestions above too and study the position a bit deeper I think.

I've been working up my coyote game and get head choked all the time. You have to be tight and in the right spot. Timing and off-balancing too so they can't clamp those hands.

To me, not something you can really get right without the reps and the failures.

If it's all correct, you can actually just roll over sweep and free your head from the top. Taking them over the backside with a hip grip also seems to happen but idk if that's bad on bad grappling or a legit strategy.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

In my experience the key to avoiding the d’arce is to grip a tight waist grip, anything higher and with any type of separation makes it easy for them to slide the arm under. Also really turning your hips around the corner when your shoot the undertook a la Lachlan Giles.

I’ve been focusing a lot on deep half sweeps off the far side wrist control, guys love to bring their knee onto your bottom wrist/arm and it makes it super easy to shoot underneath them. X guard and waiter sweep transitions as well

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Is there a video or anything od Giles turning his hip on the underhook? I noticed lietes doing "something" when he underhooks but he doesn't talk about it.

Something not the obvious knee hook or anything. He takes an angle or position

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Xguard86 posted:

Is there a video or anything od Giles turning his hip on the underhook? I noticed lietes doing "something" when he underhooks but he doesn't talk about it.

Something not the obvious knee hook or anything. He takes an angle or position

I have Lachlan's halfguard anthology and can take a look.

E: are you looking for turning on him in relation to any specific technique/attack?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What does his half guard anthology cover? Been looking at it as a purchase for a while

butros
Aug 2, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What does his half guard anthology cover? Been looking at it as a purchase for a while

What doesn't it cover? It's over 10 hours of content so it's pretty insanely comprehensive. Here's a reasonable-res of the cover:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1800/2299/products/EAD4C535-8F0A-480B-A39A-EE4E1479D5F3_1800x1800.jpeg?v=1544071641

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1800/2299/products/450C9906-8D57-4DAB-86F4-BEC9318E944F_1800x1800.jpeg?v=1544071641

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Ah cool, I was wondering if it’s mostly top or bottom but I’ll peruse the cover

butros
Aug 2, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Ah cool, I was wondering if it’s mostly top or bottom but I’ll peruse the cover

So that's bottom, but he also has one on half guard passing too.

https://i.redd.it/3vo06nt2a4s21.png

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Marching Powder posted:

i actually was thinking of roger when i added the 'last ten years' caveat but i think he was still competing 10 years ago. or maybe he was just losing to the guy who is, i assume, still looking for adolf hitler

I am at an age so that "the last ten years" feels like everything since 1995.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ihop posted:

I am at an age so that "the last ten years" feels like everything since 1995.

i have lost money recently thinking it's 2011 and Frankie Edgar is strong candidate to decision anyone as recently as last year so i can at least try and empathise with your plight

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

SHOAH NUFF posted:

A lot! I know one thing is he does a lot of slow motion video of him going over a technique he shows. While good, it feels kind of annoying at times.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I've been working a lot on half guard lately and one area I've been running into trouble with is while entering into half guard people will often go for a knee slice, and I can usually prevent them from completing it and come up on a single leg from there. But sometimes there are people who are really good at backstepping and once they feel me shut down the knee slice and start working up they'll backstep into leg entanglements or it'll turn into a scramble.

So yeah basically how do you guys deal with the backstep off of a failed knee slice?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Jedi mind trick sweep mostly.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Jerome Louis posted:

I've been working a lot on half guard lately and one area I've been running into trouble with is while entering into half guard people will often go for a knee slice, and I can usually prevent them from completing it and come up on a single leg from there. But sometimes there are people who are really good at backstepping and once they feel me shut down the knee slice and start working up they'll backstep into leg entanglements or it'll turn into a scramble.

So yeah basically how do you guys deal with the backstep off of a failed knee slice?
I have an odd way to deal with it if I know someone is going to backstep from my half into leg entanglements. I will anticipate and hook my outside leg ankle under their trapped leg usually at the ankle/shin with foot to the inside and knee to the outside and then use my inside leg to hook over the top of the trapped leg so that the leg is still pinned between my legs. When they backstep, they will not have my outside leg between their legs. On the contrary, I'll elevate their leg using that outside leg under the ankle and come up on them. Don't know if anyone else does that but that's my shut down.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Yuns posted:

I have an odd way to deal with it if I know someone is going to backstep from my half into leg entanglements. I will anticipate and hook my outside leg ankle under their trapped leg usually at the ankle/shin with foot to the inside and knee to the outside and then use my inside leg to hook over the top of the trapped leg so that the leg is still pinned between my legs. When they backstep, they will not have my outside leg between their legs. On the contrary, I'll elevate their leg using that outside leg under the ankle and come up on them. Don't know if anyone else does that but that's my shut down.

lol that's great and what's better is i can actually sort of see it in my head since half guard is the only half decent game i have.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Yuns posted:

Yeah, that pretty much matches my primary way of fighting the reverse half guard, although I don't really have anyone who attempts leg entanglements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMkAZCbUN18 I also kind of agree with these guys, backstepping against the modern berimbolo/inversion meta is significantly riskier than it was 10 years ago. Ankle and lower lapel entanglements are how my old instructor stopped it.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Yuns posted:

Is this basically "wrong"-side lockdown, i.e. the lockdown figure-4 but your ankles are crossed to the outside of their trapped leg?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Grace Baiting posted:

Is this basically "wrong"-side lockdown, i.e. the lockdown figure-4 but your ankles are crossed to the outside of their trapped leg?

I’m having trouble exactly visualizing what Yuns is talking about but the reverse lockdown is something I use all the time to take the back if I get the underhook. Here some lovely comp footage of me getting it a few weeks ago:

E: Better link

https://youtu.be/Bo76PzW1gBg

butros fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 1, 2020

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Yuns posted:

I think I get this -- I've been trying to use my inside leg as a hook under their ankle to elevate their leg as they backstep so I can come up on them more easily but it doesn't always work especially if they stay tight to my outside leg, which your method addresses. Will give this a try.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Grace Baiting posted:

No it isn't a figure 4. Your legs are not locked against each other.

Imagine it this way: Get a half butterfly. Your inside leg is over the back of your opponent's trapped leg as in half guard and your outside leg has a butterfly hook inside his trapped leg thigh like a butterfly guard.

Now move your outside butterfly hook to his ankle. Keep the inside leg that is over his trapped leg pressuring down on the leg.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 1, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got my bracket for tomorrow's (Sunday) tournament. Hopefully it goes quick and I can get to the airport before my flight to buy some Japanese Whiskey at Duty Free.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'm having a lot of trouble with pre roll nutrition. I find theres a limited window where I can eat and a load of poo poo repeats on me (I've never had this issue with other sports so maybe its a function of your guts being squat up and poo poo too?). This morning before early no gi I just scarfed down a bannana and I honestly thought I was going to throw up after a few 5 minute rounds. Anyone have a go for a snack or use protein powder or anything like that for sustenance while training?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

flashman posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble with pre roll nutrition. I find theres a limited window where I can eat and a load of poo poo repeats on me (I've never had this issue with other sports so maybe its a function of your guts being squat up and poo poo too?). This morning before early no gi I just scarfed down a bannana and I honestly thought I was going to throw up after a few 5 minute rounds. Anyone have a go for a snack or use protein powder or anything like that for sustenance while training?

Half the time I'll scarf down a big bowl of chili or something equally vile just before running out the door to train, then I'll spend most of warmups complaining about how I can feel it sloshing around in my guts. So maybe the problem is you're not complaining enough??

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 1, 2020

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Make sure to eat 1+ hour before training. Or drink a smoothie instead.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If you're training in the morning just go fasted. For evening or afternoon training I like a 3 hour gap between last bite and stepping on the mat.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Bananas and ice cream where the only things I could digest before judo. Now, I just fast until I'm done rolling for the day.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

We have a eleven no Gi weekends so I find it's a tough time to fast or eat honestly. Might try smoothy next time, it's two hour class as well so it's tough.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

We have class from 2-4PM on Sundays and I hit hot yoga before. All fasted. I love Sundays.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I am a 7AM morning class dude and usually go in fasted or having just had an Emergen-C. Coffee after class, then breakfast around 11.

If I go nights, I'll eat something around 5 just to take an edge off the hunger, then class at 7, possible double up at 8, with chocolate milk after and maybe some eggs when I get home.

Sundays we have a session at 11:30 and I'll usually have some eggs at 9 to take the edge off the hunger as I can't wait until 1:00 when we're done to eat if I'm spending 90 mins training in there.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Toast and coffee are what old school marathon runners used to swear by (lipids "burn in a carbohydrate fire"), so why not give that a try?

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Edit: double post. I suck at buttons.

Cyber Sandwich fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 1, 2020

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Cyber Sandwich posted:

In all seriousness, something starchy or packed with carbs with a little fat should be easy to digest. If you're not Yuns give your body plenty of time to work it out. Sports fitness standard is 2.5 hours before competition since I last checked but go with how your body responds to time. I like to aim for 1/3 - 1/2 of a meal before exercise if I eat.

E.g. banana and milk, bagel w/ cream cheese, carrots, chips and hummus, a fruit, a baked potato

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

flashman posted:

I don't eat prior to training. I almost always feel awful when I do.

In the mornings its easy. In the evenings it means my last snack is say 2 hours or so before I train.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Before a 6am class I’ll have a sugary coffee and an apple with a bit of peanut butter on it. That’s enough that I don’t get dizzy but not so much that I feel nauseous. Then I eat a normal breakfast about an hour after training.

My gym are expanding their morning classes and I’m thinking of dramatically increasing my training volume.

Currently doing 3 per week, no weights, easing in after a rib injury 4 months ago.

Adding 2 more training sessions and 2 weights sessions. Weights will be a relatively chill 5/3/1. How many weeks should I spread that increase over? I’ve read that you’re particularly prone to injury when you dramatically increase your training volume.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Before a 6am class I’ll have a sugary coffee and an apple with a bit of peanut butter on it. That’s enough that I don’t get dizzy but not so much that I feel nauseous. Then I eat a normal breakfast about an hour after training.

My gym are expanding their morning classes and I’m thinking of dramatically increasing my training volume.

Currently doing 3 per week, no weights, easing in after a rib injury 4 months ago.

Adding 2 more training sessions and 2 weights sessions. Weights will be a relatively chill 5/3/1. How many weeks should I spread that increase over? I’ve read that you’re particularly prone to injury when you dramatically increase your training volume.

I've trained BJJ 6 times this week, seven times last week. I'm getting back into it after a less productive month (sick, x-mas, etc).

I suggest adding a single class to your schedule: so do 4 classes in a week instead of 3, and see how you feel by the end. If I add classes, here are some of the results I get one or more of the following:
The extra class is especially tough
The subsequent class is especially tough
I'm feeling extra worn a few days later or at the end of the week
Nothing-- no adverse effects at all

I'll gradually add more classes as my body permits. I don't mind if I train a bit less in a week, so long as I make up for it later. What you really want to avoid is an injury that hinders your schedule or prevents you from training altogether. So take it easy. The more classes you attend, the less important it is that you roll every opportunity. Sitting out those last two rolls can make a big difference when I plan on training again less than a day later. If you do get injured, stop loving rolling. I learned only very recently that BJJ is actually super fun even if you don't roll-- ask someone to drill instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I now hold glorious Nippon Gold and Bronze after this tournament in Japan (went 1-0 in weight class and 1-1 in open weight).

First match the guy pulled guard which i stuffed into half guard. Then worked my leg out and got mount. From there I worked in an Ezekiel choke for the finish.

Open weight I got stomped by a 100kg guy (1 or 2 weight divisions above me). I pulled guard which he avoided but stood standing in my open guard (feet on hips). I snaked a leg to get a triangle but he blocked so i swung up and grabbed a leg. From there he got the front headlock seatbelt grip which I stupidly did a peek through right into a guillotine.

For the bronze match I faced a guy who went before me and he went super long and looked gassed at the match we had. He pulled guard which I sat into. From there I worked to break the grips and broke his legs (which he was squeezing super hard) open to take half guard. I really really tried for a plastic bag choke but he slipped his head out so I went chest to chest and again worked to free my single leg in his guard. From there I took side position and waited for a bit due to just feeling super overworked/going to fast. I felt his outside arm go for the underhook so I transitioned to a kesa gatame and essentially sat there while he struggled. When he stopped trying to buck me off I took the opening he gave and went for a scarf choke whih he tapped to pretty quickly.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 2, 2020