Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Skeezy posted:

Fantastical 3.0 is out today. They moved to a subscription model, $5 a month or $40 a year.

lol not a loving chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thanks for the heads-up; I'll be keeping those as Fantastical 2.0 until those nags get taken out.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I wonder if I subscribe they will fix the recurring reminder tick bug. They claimed to fix it months ago but it still doesn’t always work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What’s the rules for needing to provide an Apple login? I thought if it offered Facebook and had been updated since x date they had to do it, but I’ve had exactly one app let me use it. It’s a great idea that I’m completely nonsurprised nobody is supporting.

Also, if the phone suggests a password during an app signup and I use it... where is it stored? I looked up the domain name for the app in the phone App Passwords list and it’s not there. I tried logging in on the website and it didn’t auto suggest, so now I can’t log in anywhere except the app without a password reset. Great!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

What’s the rules for needing to provide an Apple login? I thought if it offered Facebook and had been updated since x date they had to do it, but I’ve had exactly one app let me use it. It’s a great idea that I’m completely nonsurprised nobody is supporting.

Also, if the phone suggests a password during an app signup and I use it... where is it stored? I looked up the domain name for the app in the phone App Passwords list and it’s not there. I tried logging in on the website and it didn’t auto suggest, so now I can’t log in anywhere except the app without a password reset. Great!

It should be stored in the iCloud Keychain.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm curious about your phone suggesting a shady back-alley password to you to begin with.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MarcusSA posted:

It should be stored in the iCloud Keychain.

I’ll see if I can locate on my Mac, ta.

astral posted:

I'm curious about your phone suggesting a shady back-alley password to you to begin with.

Why wouldn’t it? That’s regular behavior. Used to be a Safari only thing, but now it does it in apps too. The Apple keychain system is generally excellent, I’ve never felt the need to go 3rd party.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Weedle posted:

These developers are in loving fantasy land if they think their app is worth five dollars a month.

I would pay $5/mo for a calendar app that actually crosses off the loving days but apparently that's impossible for an app to do.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

astral posted:

It’s part of the iCloud Keychain. How is that “back-alley”?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I just bought Fantastical last week, I sure feel like a sucker. I know most of all of the features are still free but getting ads for the paid sub when I accidentally click on something I expect to be there is a big gently caress no from me

Back to Google Calendar since the stock Apple one has a terrible monthly full screen view

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s part of the iCloud Keychain. How is that “back-alley”?

OP's phone suggested a password and they don't know where it lives. At first glance, is that anything but shady?

My phone's never done that, but I also don't use iCloud Keychain so your explanation does make sense.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just tap on login with Apple ID or whatever it’s called and it’ll fill in the password it generated. That’s how it works for apps anyways.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

astral posted:

OP's phone suggested a password and they don't know where it lives. At first glance, is that anything but shady?

My phone's never done that, but I also don't use iCloud Keychain so your explanation does make sense.

I presume most apps have something that tells the phone ‘this password you’re saving should be stored under abcdefg.com’, but this one didn’t, or it’s configured incorrectly. So I couldn’t locate it in the password list.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just tap on login with Apple ID or whatever it’s called and it’ll fill in the password it generated. That’s how it works for apps anyways.

There was no option to use Apple ID, my post was about two separate things and one of them was saying how Apple ID just doesn’t seem to be appearing anywhere. It’s a shame, because it’s good.

E: I mean it’s no big deal, I did a password reset and used safari which saves it correctly. Just a weird bug.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 30, 2020

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I appreciate that all the stuff from Fantastical 2 moves over to 3 but I’m not big on F3 pushing the premium sub heavy now. Would rather they put all that stuff in the settings and if I want to do that I’ll do it. Don’t want to be reminded constantly that a lot of the stuff is behind a sub now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I appreciate that all the stuff from Fantastical 2 moves over to 3 but I’m not big on F3 pushing the premium sub heavy now. Would rather they put all that stuff in the settings and if I want to do that I’ll do it. Don’t want to be reminded constantly that a lot of the stuff is behind a sub now.

Yeah, it kind of compromises the user experience when half the buttons on a screen just pop up a modal window asking for money. Vantage has an unusual interface but I've found it to be a decent alternative if you want something that combines your calendars and reminders. The full version is a one-time $10 unlock (for now, I suppose).

Weedle fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 30, 2020

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Nairbo posted:

I just bought Fantastical last week, I sure feel like a sucker. I know most of all of the features are still free but getting ads for the paid sub when I accidentally click on something I expect to be there is a big gently caress no from me

Back to Google Calendar since the stock Apple one has a terrible monthly full screen view

I’ve owned F2 on iOS for years and just bit the bullet and bought it on MacOS literally last week. Was annoyed with the free release but because of my recent purchase, I have 6 months of free premium. Still my favourite calendar app. And still a quality one.

I was more upset when OmniFocus went subscription right after I bought the Pro version and my separate purchases of my iPad, iPhone, and Mac all became pointless.

I really hate this trend of subscription based merchandising. If I didn’t want to upgrade before, I could still use whatever program I wanted until they added a new feature that seemed interesting. Now I have no choice but to pay endlessly or lose access to everything I work on.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I totally sympathize with iOS app developers on the subscription pricing, it's a hell market to be in.

I'm pretty happy with the Fantastical I had before today; I have no desire to pay for a version with new features, but I do want the version I have to be updated to work nicely with new OS features, new phone screen sizes, and so on. My virtual keyboard was hosed for months (floating awkwardly in the middle of the screen) after I switched phones to a 10R. The $5 I spent 5 years ago probably isn't covering the costs to do those fixes.

There's also no way I'd pay $200 to have used Fantastical over that 5-year time frame. I guess we'll see if "limited and free for most, expensive subscription for power users" does better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I *sympathize* and totally agree that people putting in work for a thing I use should be paid, I just think they need to be realistic about their market. But I guess if they've decided their market is business users, then so be it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’ve really soured on Fantastical after this. My app updated this morning and completely butchered my calendar setup where I had to spend 10 minutes getting it back to how it was.

Then I tried opening the app on my Apple Watch and it broke the app on my phone and wouldn’t let me back in until I signed up for an account. Did that but the Watch app is still busted.

I also really think it’s a crap experience to have all the premium features in your face all the time even after you’ve paid for a previous version.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Red_Fred posted:

Then I tried opening the app on my Apple Watch and it broke the app on my phone and wouldn’t let me back in until I signed up for an account. Did that but the Watch app is still busted.

This has me pissed off the most. Haven't seen the nag screens yet, but if they're as intrusive as I fear they are, I'll probably end up using the stock app on iOS/Watch.

The OmniFocus Web situation just lead me to moving over to Things, which ended up being better for my needs. (If Omni Group fucks with OmniGraffle like this, I will loving riot)

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

hey girl you up posted:

I totally sympathize with iOS app developers on the subscription pricing, it's a hell market to be in.

Yeah, but ignoring the actual payment model, they always switch from $5-10 one time to something obscene like $100 a year. And if I was paying monthly for all the apps that started asking for that in the last years, I‘d be paying as much for a few productivity apps as I’m paying for iPhones including the entirety of iOS. Now I’m just back to stock Calendar, Mail and Notes/OneNote.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

cebrail posted:

Yeah, but ignoring the actual payment model, they always switch from $5-10 one time to something obscene like $100 a year. And if I was paying monthly for all the apps that started asking for that in the last years, I‘d be paying as much for a few productivity apps as I’m paying for iPhones including the entirety of iOS. Now I’m just back to stock Calendar, Mail and Notes/OneNote.

Name an app that went from $5-10 one time to $100 a year.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 31, 2020

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Here's one

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If you’re going to complain about something why not complain about things that are actually real? What app went from $5-$10 to $100/year that you’re complaining about? Or are you just bullshitting?

Like what would you think if I said I’m upset that iPhone prices have gone up so much, that it used to be $199 or whatever and now they are like $3000 for the 64GB model.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 31, 2020

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

The OmniFocus Web situation just lead me to moving over to Things, which ended up being better for my needs.

What’s this web situation about?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Like what would you think if I said I’m upset that iPhone prices have gone up so much, that it used to be $199 or whatever and now they are like $3000 for the 64GB model.

I would think, "hells yeah, now's my chance to be a totally useless pedant like that Boris Galerkin guy in the iOS Apps thread" as I furiously typed a post up demanding that you show evidence to support your ridiculous claim.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sleepwalkers posted:

What’s this web situation about?

They basically moved OmniFocus to a web app and subscription based. And apparently that's the future for OmniFocus now. I'm less upset about the sub than I am moving your data to a WebApp.

I can't complain about prices too much since work picked up the tab for Omni Group stuff on all my devices.

I'll admit I'm a little stunned at Fantastical going "here's an update, by the way it's now subscription for premium features". That's a bold move. I'll withhold my judgement on it until I play with it more, but if I find it useful I'll probably end up subscribing.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 31, 2020

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Proteus Jones posted:

I'll admit I'm a little stunned at Fantastical going "here's an update, by the way it's now subscription for premium features". That's a bold move. I'll withhold my judgement on it until I play with it more, but if I find it useful I'll probably end up subscribing.

The worst part of it is their "poor pitiful us" act as they get assaulted by the users that funded those upgrades in the first place, and are now putting their full fist up our asses(without even asking). Acting like they're doing us some kind of favor by providing access to features that we already had without need a subscription.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I just deleted the app and went to google calendar for now (all my calendars are on google) and will ignore anything the fantastical goofballs do in the future.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

priznat posted:

Yeah I just deleted the app and went to google calendar for now (all my calendars are on google) and will ignore anything the fantastical goofballs do in the future.

Yeah, I'm leaning that way now. I tried giving it a chance, but my patience is all gone after they hosed up the Watch app. Looks like I'll be using the stock calendar until I can find a good replacement.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I was prepared to try it for about thirty seconds before I tried to open the year view and it told me that was a premium feature. I actually said "ha!" aloud. I'm not paying a loving subscription fee for poo poo my phone could already do the instant I turned it on.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Weedle posted:

I was prepared to try it for about thirty seconds before I tried to open the year view and it told me that was a premium feature. I actually said "ha!" aloud. I'm not paying a loving subscription fee for poo poo my phone could already do the instant I turned it on.

Looks like they pushed through another update that stops you from accessing the year view at all if you're not premium. Feels a lot better than having it show up and then just spring away

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Are there any apple blogs that are actually talking about this and including the criticism? It was kind of eye opening to see all of the blogs on my RSS reader talking about how revolutionary and transformative this update is and yes it makes perfect sense to pay a sub for a better looking apple calendar app.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have zero issue with them having a go at creating a new subscription service for an amazing sexy app or whatever but don’t gently caress me over on something I had already purchased and was just fine with as it was. I don’t need the new features I was good but to take away stuff I was perfectly happy with as is? That’s loving bullshit and it will really affect if I pay for apps in the future. I think Fantastical was like $10 too? Sheesh.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

priznat posted:

I think Fantastical was like $10 too? Sheesh.

I paid $40 for my Mac license.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

XBenedict posted:

I paid $40 for my Mac license.

$50 on Mac.

I paid for Fantasical 1 and for Fantastical 2 but I just can't do it again since they butchered the watch and iOS versions so bad.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I pay $11 a year for the Timepage calendar app and it does everything I need in ways the stock Calendar app can’t.

With Fantastical’s large user base they could gone for a more reasonable yearly subscription (:10bux: + :10bux:) and made plenty of money to support further app development. This pricing is just odd. Maybe they have volume corporate licensing separate from the App Store and this isn’t as large a chunk of their revenue as we might otherwise think.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

I pay $11 a year for the Timepage calendar app and it does everything I need in ways the stock Calendar app can’t.

With Fantastical’s large user base they could gone for a more reasonable yearly subscription (:10bux: + :10bux:) and made plenty of money to support further app development. This pricing is just odd. Maybe they have volume corporate licensing separate from the App Store and this isn’t as large a chunk of their revenue as we might otherwise think.

Todoist has been doing cheap subs for years, quite successfully.

E: Fixed lame autocorrect

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 1, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What should I as a cheapskate use as a replacement for fantastical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Is there another app where you type/dictate the details of a new calendar event into a single field and it reliably parses out the name, time, date, etc? That's my favorite fantastical feature