Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Warren's cash on hand seems low for this early in the primary.

https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/1223405445890658304?s=19

Every non-billionaire campaign's COH looks a bit low. Bernie is better off but not exactly swimming in dough. I'm hoping his January numbers are impressive; we goons are certainly doing our part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Vox Nihili posted:

Everyone looks a bit low. Bernie is better off but not exactly swimming in dough. I'm hoping his January numbers are impressive; we goons are certainly doing our part.

They all dumped as much cash as they could since it's make or break time. But if Bernie needs more then we need to do our paypig duty.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
$30 more to Bernie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Warren's cash on hand seems low for this early in the primary.

https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/1223405445890658304?s=19

I don’t get the arguments that she’s Hilary-like. She’s an almost painfully earnest dork. She tried to knife Sanders but fumbled it badly because she’s such a dope. She’s bad, but stuff like the credit card benefit have powerful coupon-clipping mom energy.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

$30 more to Bernie.

Same. Give me Bernie or give me death.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Vox Nihili posted:

Every non-billionaire campaign's COH looks a bit low. Bernie is better off but not exactly swimming in dough. I'm hoping his January numbers are impressive; we goons are certainly doing our part.

I have a weekly donation set up, but I'm giving him an immediate $100 of victory money if he wins Iowa on Monday.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I have a small weekly set up but I just kicked in another $50. More money for the Bernard.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does Perez actually have any power over the DNC?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Never die, New York Times

New York Times posted:

The next month presents the last chance for serious scrutiny of Sanders, who is leading in both Iowa and New Hampshire. After that, Republicans will rip the bark off him. When they’re done, you will not recognize the aging, mouth-frothing, business-destroying commie from Ben and Jerry’s dystopian dairy.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1223331130050596864?s=20

Shocking news: enlisted people who are the first to die in foreign wars to make rich men even richer are fans of Bernie.

He has raised approximately 5.5 times more than Biden and it’s characterized as “more than doubled” lmao

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I don't have a lot of money but i did throw a fiver at Bernie because gently caress it I don't wanna see Biden in the general.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I understand money pigs now. I am Bernie’s money pig.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whoops just sent another $70!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t get the arguments that she’s Hilary-like. She’s an almost painfully earnest dork. She tried to knife Sanders but fumbled it badly because she’s such a dope. She’s bad, but stuff like the credit card benefit have powerful coupon-clipping mom energy.

Any politician that was a Republican until age 45 is SOME species of reptile.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/1223424436998553600

woops wrong tweet, mean to post this

https://twitter.com/GayPraxis/status/1223429843779575813

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Donating a weekly 27 to Bernie I think? I just got mad and pressed all the buttons until his face appeared.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I just got mad and pressed all the buttons until his face appeared.

New thread subtitle

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grouchio posted:

Does Perez actually have any power over the DNC?
He has some, but not full power

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Wishing she actually said gently caress Hillary Clinton.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

He has some, but not full power
I have more info from r/politics on that politico article:

quote:

Also, people should read the article. It’s a non-story, a driveby shooting by Politico.
Most crucially:

quote:

Fowler declined to identify members participating in the conversations, and the DNC itself dismissed the idea.
This is Politico once more pushing the dEmS iN diSsARraY perspective.

quote:

"[DNC Chairman] Tom Perez fought tooth and nail to ensure our nominee would be chosen by pledged delegates, not automatic delegates,” David Bergstein, a DNC spokesman, said in an email. “The DNC passed these reforms unanimously. These rules make our party stronger and help ensure our eventual nominee has the full support of the party behind them."

The rule change was widely viewed as a major victory for the Democratic Party’s left flank. At the time, Perez called the delegate overhaul “historic,” while progressive Democrats and many moderates lauded its appeal to young voters skeptical of centralized party power.
So it’s a non-story.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 1, 2020

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really get angry when I think about the kind of loving rear end in a top hat you'd have to be to see how much people very obviously want Bernie for the dem nominee, and then going to these kind of great lengths to prevent it to put in the candidate they very obviously don't want. gently caress the DNC forever for this poo poo, we need a new party so badly

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Isn't she the one who said "impeach the motherfucker"?
SO I assume a monkey's paw is gonna curl here and Hillary Clinton is president.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Not a single Bernie oppo dump has lasted more than a day or so.

Oddly enough I think the Joe Rogan broohaha actually lasted the longest. Maybe 3 days or so?

Bernie is immune to all this poo poo. I honestly don’t know, if one of the other campaigns was paying me a bunch of money to help them win, what I would actually tell them to do.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Grouchio posted:

TBH it doesn't really matter if it's a hit by Politico, an actual planned thing by the DNC, or a couple of staffers leaking it to see what the public reaction is. For all those situations the correct response is the same: Work as hard as we can to get Bernie elected, and make sure the DNC knows if they screw him there won't be a Democratic Party in 2024.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mahoning posted:

Not a single Bernie oppo dump has lasted more than a day or so.

Oddly enough I think the Joe Rogan broohaha actually lasted the longest. Maybe 3 days or so?

Bernie is immune to all this poo poo. I honestly don’t know, if one of the other campaigns was paying me a bunch of money to help them win, what I would actually tell them to do.

Warren had a pretty clear path to victory. It was to steal Bernie's ideas, write some position papers, and push the idea that she has a plan to pass stuff, implicitly suggesting that Bernie doesn't. It would have worked but she decided to hire some Clinton people and they convinced her the left was locked in and it was time to triangulate. And she collapsed. I'm just glad she was dumb enough to start on it as early as she did.

I guess my advice to any of the campaigns would be to go back in time to January 2019 and actually promise that you'll do the things people want instead of tut-tutting and insisting that people who want to not die in the street need to be a little more realistic.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I know what I'd tell Republicans to do to but if a Dem hired me to take down Bernie I legit have no idea how they could possibly make it happen. I think the only chance any candidate could have had is to become the one the media clearly doesn't want to win before they all ran Sanders hit pieces, because the public reception to obvious media bias has become crystal clear after both Trump and now Bernie have become their targets. It's too late for that now though, I think Bernie just wins now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Nothing could be done now sure but if we get to rewind by a year then the answer is "be at least as far to the left as Bernie is, don't cave those positions, and if you're not an old white guy that will help you a lot." There was absolutely a lane for Warren to be "Bernie, but younger and a woman" and she could have had a legitimate path. Instead she decided to veer to the center to try and compete with Biden and Butt, which left Bernie as the only viable candidate for the left to rally around, and guess what that's what they did.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
That Tlaib thing sucks. Won't make a dent but it certainly won't help, and getting cocky while talking about shutting up haters is extremely annoying.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

But have you considered gently caress Hilary Clinton?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah I know what I'd tell Republicans to do to but if a Dem hired me to take down Bernie I legit have no idea how they could possibly make it happen. I think the only chance any candidate could have had is to become the one the media clearly doesn't want to win before they all ran Sanders hit pieces, because the public reception to obvious media bias has become crystal clear after both Trump and now Bernie have become their targets. It's too late for that now though, I think Bernie just wins now.

Bloomberg is their last ditch effort really.

He's in it not to necessarily split votes away from Biden, but to keep as many undecided votes as possible away from Bernie. All these later states are 26% Biden, 25% Sanders, a bunch of single digits, and then 40% undecided. His fear is that by the time we get to the later states it will be just Biden and Sanders left and undecideds will have to choose. A big majority of them will probably choose Sanders because Biden is just unexciting and dumb. His mission is to get as many of these undecided to himself as possible which leads to two scenarios he's ok with:
a) Brokered convention and DNC makes sure Bloomberg is picked
b) Brokered convention where Bloomberg plays kingmaker and makes sure Biden is picked. Biden then owes big-time to Bloomberg and makes sure his taxes stay at 0% and his companies get crazy benefits from the gov't.

As to why he waited so long to enter? At the beginning of the primary there were a LOT of hotshot centrists that were supposed to get a lot of support (Beto, Harris, Klob) so he felt no need to get involved. As they all epically failed and Biden demonstrated that he's super shaky, Bloomberg was pushed to get in and use his billions to make sure the election goes how it was supposed to.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 1, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nobody that matters likes Hillary so who cares.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

That Tlaib thing sucks. Won't make a dent but it certainly won't help, and getting cocky while talking about shutting up haters is extremely annoying.

Nah, it's good to have someone in the new generation of Democrats say what has to be said. gently caress Hillary and her waning grip on the party.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Grouchio posted:

This is Politico once more pushing the dEmS iN diSsARraY perspective.

So it’s a non-story.

This could be a toe in the water. They wanted to see the public's reaction as to what would happen if they did this, so they leaked something to politico to stir the pot.

First, they suggest the idea to gauge a reaction. Then, the media networks talk about it for days, normalizing the end of our democracy. After making it palatable through exposure, someone popular but seemingly impartial, like Obama, comes out and says he's wondering if changing the rules in the middle of an election would protect America, Jesus, and 9/11. Then Perez pitches it. At this point, if CNN and MSNBC have done their job, it seems reasonable, and soon our delusion of a democracy is over.

However, the test must have failed. The retraction was immediate. I spoke to my boomer dad, and the thought just made him sad. He didn't even want to consider the possibility that the democrats could ever do something so terrible. People like me might leave the party entirely, and people like my dad would be so horrified they'd stop voting.

People both ITT and otherwise have said it here, but the establishment just discovered that if they stole the nomination again it would end the party. Does that mean it is us, the voters who have power? And do we have this power by refusing to exercise it?

Edit: I am severely intoxicated, so this may be nonsense.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 1, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

The base likes it and it makes the shitheads everyone hates clutch their pearls, which only energizes people more. It's good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lemming posted:

The base likes it and it makes the shitheads everyone hates clutch their pearls, which only energizes people more. It's good
Yes and again, Hillary is the one who keeps bringing poo poo up, so I think it's perfectly valid to go after her if she's going to keep doing it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Nice of the DNC to make some news today.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Almost 50 percent of Dem voters were cool with Bernie last time. I think people are mostly afraid he'll lose to Trump, but once we get going it should snowball from there

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Meanwhile on other side of FEC

https://mobile.twitter.com/annalecta/status/1223427007263989760

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

loving smash and grab Presidency.

They'll probably strip the loving copper wiring out of the White House walls and steal everything that isn't nailed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

"Won't somebody scrutinize this man!?"

From random idiots, it's frustrating

From minor punditry, it's sad

From the paper of record and other major punditry, it's loving hilarious