Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If you are not ready to sink money in this, trust me and don't even start. You'll get more for cheaper with fixed architectures (and semi modulars). Otherwise go hog wild.

Look man, I've got 2 more modules waiting for me at the local UPS today, I've made a kit already, and I've got SMD/SMT test boards on the way and a few mouser lists ready to go. I'm just about done and then I'll maybe get that Wavestation thing.

Three paycheck months are still two paycheck months.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Philthy posted:

Three paycheck months are still two paycheck months.

Aint that the truth :retrogames:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

lol. My goal when I started down this path five or six years ago was to sell ONE music. Just one. I just wanted to catch someone's attention just enough with my bullshit that they wanted some mp3s or something. To get someone to spend their hard earned dollar on something that I have created would be a pretty good feeling I think.

Anyone have any stories or advice on selling their music? Not selling enough to pay for new gear or anything, but just selling their stuff in general.

I always figured I would start on bandcamp, put some tracks or eps out for free just to get some people onboard, then drop something more refined/complete for a couple bucks.

My old band used some service (CDBaby I think?) to put our EP up on iTunes, Spotify, etc. Between that, our bandcamp, and selling hard copies at shows, I think we made... probably a quarter of what we (I) spent on the recording process.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
My first goal was just to make an album, period. Then I accomplished that goal about four years ago and my next one was to get a remix featured on an artist's release. I just accomplished that one a couple months ago and now my goal is to gently blow on the smoldering tinder that is attention from other artists/listeners and see where that takes me. It's all baby steps

DistroKid's Plus plan is a pretty fantastic bargain considering what prices were when I first attempted putting music out there over a decade ago, imo. I know virtually nothing about distributors other than what I learned very recently when I had to play five year's worth of catch-up on my online presence after that remix dropped.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

lol. My goal when I started down this path five or six years ago was to sell ONE music. Just one. I just wanted to catch someone's attention just enough with my bullshit that they wanted some mp3s or something. To get someone to spend their hard earned dollar on something that I have created would be a pretty good feeling I think.

Anyone have any stories or advice on selling their music? Not selling enough to pay for new gear or anything, but just selling their stuff in general.

I always figured I would start on bandcamp, put some tracks or eps out for free just to get some people onboard, then drop something more refined/complete for a couple bucks.

Use one of the publishing services that now exist for indies and get it on Spotify/Apple music. I’m not kidding. It costs you very little and makes your music a lot more accessible to people like me who don’t have time to trawl bandcamp and do most of their music discovery via phone.

Edit: distrokid is what I was thinking.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

don't do what i did

1) get involved in local scene/community. don't sweat selling anything, just get to know the regulars and who pulls strings, who pulls numbers

2) collaborate with people you meet and jive with, build symbiotic relationships with other artists of all types

3) play out live in some capacity

if you don't know anyone from step 1 yet, 2 and 3 could take years before your relationships run deep enough to work with people on this level if the community is less than welcoming

4) don't promote yourself because that is desperate and validation seeking and inauthentic, meanwhile somehow make your stuff really available

5) build up deep seated resentment and cynicism of how it's all a popularity contest favoring hacks and sociopaths rather than a meritocracy and then realize it's all meaningless distraction anyways vs bettering society

6) enjoy what few authentic creative relationships you've manage to build along the way, take pride in your artistic integrity, and gently caress money because you have a real job

Pillow Face fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 31, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/DQDG8NoExeA

Oh My God You Guys

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
oh come on

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Make music you're proud enough of to promote, and promote it. Very straightforward, just hard. Rewarding as hell!

Don't make it hard to give you money - pay what you want is awesome if you're worried it'll be weird charging for something for whatever reason (or don't like pure streaming). Consider why you buy vs steal or ignore music and work those angles. No one cares about your passion project except you, as a general rule. Figure out how to make it work for the mass market. Hint: the secret has absolutely nothing to do w/ buying a new piece of gear. Those are treats for you, not your audience.

Also its a nice milestone but not the full story. I've made music money but my biggest personal pride is the small-but-dedicated Twin Peaks fandom blogging following I have from a couple tracks that feature samples I posted a couple years back on Tumblr. Every now and then I'll check my stats and see one or two familiar referrers streaming the same thing like 10-15 times in one day.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

My first goal was just to make an album, period. Then I accomplished that goal about four years ago and my next one was to get a remix featured on an artist's release. I just accomplished that one a couple months ago and now my goal is to gently blow on the smoldering tinder that is attention from other artists/listeners and see where that takes me.

Now THIS one I'm curious about! I've sold music (not a lot) and gotten artists I respect to listen to my demos and tell me they were poo poo. How do I connect those? Make better tracks is obviously a part of it but I don't think it's the full story. Should I just be emailing every A&R contact I see? Working my network? Hoping I get discovered?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
goals lol, i just got bored one day and took my sd card out of my sp-404 and into my computer then made a bandcamp and somehow a couple people liked the crap i put on it :thunk:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

JamesKPolk posted:

Now THIS one I'm curious about! I've sold music (not a lot) and gotten artists I respect to listen to my demos and tell me they were poo poo. How do I connect those? Make better tracks is obviously a part of it but I don't think it's the full story. Should I just be emailing every A&R contact I see? Working my network? Hoping I get discovered?

To be fair, it's a well-known artist in a niche genre and community so maybe not quite the groundbreaking release that a mainstream artist might have provided, but I still have a physical copy of a CD with my own music on it and a proper remix credit so it's all coming up Milhouse as far as I'm concerned. It was really just a case of being in the right place at the right time - I went searching for remix packs one day, came across a remix contest announcement from this guy, downloaded the sample pack and cranked out an atmospheric, soundscape-y mix in about two or three days. I sent it off weeks before the deadline and then all but forgot about it until the tracklist was revealed in November and turns out my track made the cut.

Remix contests mostly feel like chucking a good track into the void but I guess I've learned to toss my hat in the ring anyway. Best case scenario you get a proper release and worst case scenario you have another track to stow away for a future album. My track is on the same disc as a remix from Odd Nosdam, who had a remix featured on Trans-Canada Highway by Boards of Canada, so I feel like I'm in pretty good company there.

byob historian posted:

goals lol, i just got bored one day and took my sd card out of my sp-404 and into my computer then made a bandcamp and somehow a couple people liked the crap i put on it :thunk:

bullshit pal, the 404 only takes CF cards, not SD ya fuckin' bum! now I've gotcha!

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 31, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

This is loving insanity and I love it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

bullshit pal, the 404 only takes CF cards, not SD ya fuckin' bum! now I've gotcha!

The new ones take SD

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
WRT remixes- I feel like that’s one place where connecting with Youtube artists can be a good call. Find a song you like by—Idk, Cuckoo or Hainbach or whomever—and remix it. Then reach out and ask if you can send it to them/post it. Or reach out first and then do the remix.
Dollars to donuts you get a shoutout or a mixtape/playlist inclusion.

Don’t be afraid to piggyback on somebody’s existing fanbase as long as you aren’t trying to leech. And as long as your remix isn’t trash.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

In the mid 90s I was the drummer for a band, and we decided to get some studio time and record a few tracks that we'd been polishing.

It was gently caress You Expensive, and we made very little of the money back, but it was interesting. Plus you came out with a CD of Something I Made, and that was cool.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Getting poo poo mastered for stuff like release or vinyl pressing is still expensive nowadays, even if you do all your recording at home. The dude that MylarMelodies advertises on his podcast charges like a grand for an album’s worth of tracks.

Not that that’s bad, audio ppl should be paid for their work and expertise and often aren’t- but it’s still a hurdle for somebody who can’t diy that or doesn’t want to use automatic software that aims to approximate a mastering job

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm of the opinion that one should always have someone else (preferably with a track record of such things) master your recording, especially if you mixed it yourself and there are several individual pieces to sequence and you're planning on releasing it for public consumption. Fresh ears that are not emotionally invested in the product are always good, and chances are that a good mastering engineer is gonna have hella better equipment than you do.

And yeah. That poo poo ain't cheap. But there's a reason for that, and it's because they also probably have vastly better hearing than you.

edit: Like, I have a *really* good setup, but there's no loving way I'd master anything in the space I have on the equipment I have. Single tracks maybe, but not a cohesive project.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

The new ones take SD

tsk tsk, those are 404A's or 404SX's :cop:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
lawwwd modular addict is 45 mins away from me

edit: poo poo they're next to a kickass record shop ive been to many times

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 31, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Small etiquette question since I'm new to this subforum. I never hope to profit off any of the sounds from my equipment, this really is just a hobby but sometimes I record neat things. Is it cool to post short loops and sequences? I was thinking about promotion chat and was wondering if I was being a chode without knowing.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Philthy posted:

lawwwd modular addict is 45 mins away from me

edit: poo poo they're next to a kickass record shop ive been to many times

I live literally around the corner from Chicago Music Exchange (who have recently added a neat synth/modular section) and two blocks from Nerd Audio and a short bus ride from Rock n Roll Vintage, which also contains a nice synth section.

It's a good thing I'm poor, because otherwise I'd be poor but with a bunch of equipment I barely use.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

EBB posted:

Small etiquette question since I'm new to this subforum. I never hope to profit off any of the sounds from my equipment, this really is just a hobby but sometimes I record neat things. Is it cool to post short loops and sequences? I was thinking about promotion chat and was wondering if I was being a chode without knowing.

If you feel like posting your stuff, post your stuff.

Under Boner Jam siege conditions, posting your stuff becomes mandatory.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Anybody here have a Seaboard? My sis has been playing guitar for years, and is now looking to get into something synthy and easy to travel with, hoping to complement her BF's Digitakt jams (he makes what I can best describe as ambient worldbeat dub house). I've been looking at the 2-octave blocks version, and would appreciate if anyone could share their experiences with it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

EBB posted:

:justpost:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

EBB posted:

Post away dude - most of us are just hobbyists. And frankly, I'd rather a board full of people posting their robot farts for all to hear than a board of people LARPing as big-time producers with awesome gear that you can' afford that is of course essential to making music (or bitching about every new piece of gear not offering everything for $200), but for some reason nobody on there posts actual music.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

EBB posted:

i always am interested not just in the technical talk but moreso what people actually do with their gear. and it helps give context to people's opinions, gives another sense of who people are, opens up potential for convo/collab. otherwise it becomes more of an electronics enthusiasts community than a synth/sound community

like all the classical stuff has been great as well as the modular experiments

feel like i might cave soon now that the silver td-3 is available, only reservation is that's a slippery slope to also buying the ms-1 for classic roland posterity

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

snorch posted:

Anybody here have a Seaboard? My sis has been playing guitar for years, and is now looking to get into something synthy and easy to travel with, hoping to complement her BF's Digitakt jams (he makes what I can best describe as ambient worldbeat dub house). I've been looking at the 2-octave blocks version, and would appreciate if anyone could share their experiences with it.

I have the Seaboard Rise 25 and absolutely love it. I haven't played with the Blocks version, but I hear good things. I'm sure the build is not the same quality as the Rise, but honestly the Rise is pretty overpriced and I probably would have gone with the Blocks version if it had been out when I was in the market.

When I first got mine there weren't that many softsynths that really took advantage of MPE, but that's changing very, very quickly. I think a lot of softsynth manufacturers have realized that there's an audience out there that is hungry for stuff to use their gear with, and that they can get a fairly reliable chunk of the market just by making it compatible.

e: Oh yeah, and with the MIDI 2 spec being officially adopted I'm sure a lot of other stuff will come on board soon.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 1, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

stillvisions posted:

Post away dude - most of us are just hobbyists. And frankly, I'd rather a board full of people posting their robot farts for all to hear than a board of people LARPing as big-time producers with awesome gear that you can' afford that is of course essential to making music (or bitching about every new piece of gear not offering everything for $200), but for some reason nobody on there posts actual music.

It’s because 90% of the posting on SA in 2020 happens via smartphone and that’s really uninviting to posting files.

And also because why do any work and put yourself out there when you can just buy your way to cred? It’s the american way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
....apropos of which, I might have $2-400 to toss on a/some synth toys soon and I want to celebrate the end of my thesis.

What would y’all buy? I’ve been looking hungrily at the Behringer onslaught, but definitely listing toward a complete package or useful instrument rather than modules. Pro-1? CAT? D (I’d honestly rather go for the poly in the future if I went there)? Neutron? Something else? Something not-Behringer?

I have a Keystep, monitors, mixer, computer, pedals, iPad, drum machine, string instruments......I wanna maximize my investment. Clearly the answer is to sign up for some music lessons.

I’m also looking at something like the volca modular (I’d like to start actually patching stuff and loving with knobs) but that seems inferior to a “real synth” like a semi-modular.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Sure, why not. Sat down with the TD-3 and modular and hit record while I turned knobs and moved sliders.

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/friday

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I missed that this Jamuary idea was a thing so what the hell I'm gonna try it for myself in February. Less days, less work.

https://soundcloud.com/user-145826219/022020-01a

gently caress it's a leap year nooooo

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

toadee posted:

More record pressing at the end of a day fooling around

https://soundcloud.com/tenfingerstentoes/td-3-jam-2

TD-3 is so worth it. For $150 there’s literally no reason not to.

Philthy posted:

Sure, why not. Sat down with the TD-3 and modular and hit record while I turned knobs and moved sliders.

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/friday

I want you to know this is your fault.

I've been playing around using an external sequencer. Seems you can get Accents on notes with high enough velocity (above 96 on the Deluge). Slide is achieved by overlapping notes. (Is Slide just avoiding retriggering the envelope, or something more?)

The biggest problem I've found is the TD-3's tempo doesn't "flywheel" (hold most recent tempo) in external mode. If you stop the external sequencer, the TD-3's sequencer just doesn't advance time at all, so it's awkward to try to tweak sequences on the TD-3 while using an external clock. If you use an external sequencer only, that's no big deal, but that Random button is killer and I hate to lose it. I guess switching between internal and external sources is easy enough that it's a good enough workaround.

I also noticed it had a bunch of patterns pre-programmed in. I don't recognize any of them, myself. I wonder if they're random, or new sequences they made, or what.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 1, 2020

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like that little mixer what is it?

Might get the zoom 16 track recorder but I wanna use up all my tapes first

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Trig Discipline posted:

I have the Seaboard Rise 25 and absolutely love it. I haven't played with the Blocks version, but I hear good things. I'm sure the build is not the same quality as the Rise, but honestly the Rise is pretty overpriced and I probably would have gone with the Blocks version if it had been out when I was in the market.

When I first got mine there weren't that many softsynths that really took advantage of MPE, but that's changing very, very quickly. I think a lot of softsynth manufacturers have realized that there's an audience out there that is hungry for stuff to use their gear with, and that they can get a fairly reliable chunk of the market just by making it compatible.

e: Oh yeah, and with the MIDI 2 spec being officially adopted I'm sure a lot of other stuff will come on board soon.

Surge (now free) is supposed to do MPE.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I like that little mixer what is it?

Might get the zoom 16 track recorder but I wanna use up all my tapes first

looks like a Behringer of some sort

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah, Behringer 1002B, about $150 at Guitar Center. Also new to me today, as previously the Peak was going straight into the Deluge.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

baby question

I've got two units (Alesis drum machine, Roland sh210) I want to connect them so that my wife and I can jam, and have two headphones.

I figure I want some kind of headphone amplifier like (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KIPT30/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but how do I want to get the audio into it? Do I want a mixer or audio interface? Does it really matter for only two pieces of equipment with independent volume controls?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The sh 201 has a line in you might be able to combine channels

I would just get a small mixer tho. Maybe a behringer xenyx with a headphone splitter adapter

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If you've got basic electronics skillz, a passive 2 channel mixer is a pair of potentiometers and a few fixed resistors. An active mixer is that and an opamp.

You also live in a stereo world, as someone said a few posts ago about someone with a similar issue, hard panning, or wiring a pair of inputs to the left and right channels is viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

EBB posted:

I like it when goons share their robort farts/jams/tracks. :justpost:

Here is my latest jam where I decided to focus more on the make noise rack and finally learn to use the advanced functions of tempi and rené2. This patch takes care of all the melodic stuff by itself (16 steps sequence on X-track transposed 16 times by Y-track) so I just turn voices on and off and launch tracks on the drum sequencers.

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/crater