Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

Another one I've seen but not played is JUSTONEPLZ - you start with one guy that's sergeant material; 2 great archers (capable of hitting >90 ratk) and 2 decent archers (one will hit 87 ratk, one will only get to 81; but has iron lungs)

I haven't played in a while so my math must be wrong, but in this start you get two 45 RA guys with *. I thought * in RA was good for a roughly 35 point increase at level 11 - but it's actually 45?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

No, it is 35. Three stars is 45.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Dreylad posted:

I haven't played in a while so my math must be wrong, but in this start you get two 45 RA guys with *. I thought * in RA was good for a roughly 35 point increase at level 11 - but it's actually 45?

Either you typed the seed in wrong (caps issue maybe?) or perhaps the website I got it from is wrong? Or a patch changed the seed?

It was supposed to have 2 archers with 47 rATK ***, one with 42*** and one with 41**

I didn’t check it first; I’ve only played the first one I listed.

EDIT: It was a caps issue, the website I saw it on must have mistyped it. The seed is justoneplz all lowercase. I'll correct my original post as well.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 28, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
OK that makes sense. Thanks for checking!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just curious, but what are some tips on taking out the Kraken? I gave it a quick go after getting the required ingredients (after losing a man to a load of necrosavants, and everyone else being hurt a bit. So I only did it to have a quick look, before reloading and going back to town for a recruit) and from what I took away from that brief skirmish, I should probably be using a bunch of archers and polearm guys to take on the head from a distance, then have the rest keep the tentacles at bay and make sure nobody gets grabbed. Is that about right? (Also, I'm on the lone wolf start, so I've only got a dozen guys in total. I'll have to make sure they're all in top shape, prior to the fight)

EDIT: Actually, should I fight the Ijirock before or after the Kraken? I forgot that I found it really early on in my run (after my lone wolf killed the barbarian madman in a pretty good duel. Speaking of which, can you repair the broken armour he drops?) so I guess it might be an idea to take it out first, for the XP and reward.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 29, 2020

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just curious, but what are some tips on taking out the Kraken? I gave it a quick go after getting the required ingredients (after losing a man to a load of necrosavants, and everyone else being hurt a bit. So I only did it to have a quick look, before reloading and going back to town for a recruit) and from what I took away from that brief skirmish, I should probably be using a bunch of archers and polearm guys to take on the head from a distance, then have the rest keep the tentacles at bay and make sure nobody gets grabbed. Is that about right? (Also, I'm on the lone wolf start, so I've only got a dozen guys in total. I'll have to make sure they're all in top shape, prior to the fight)

EDIT: Actually, should I fight the Ijirock before or after the Kraken? I forgot that I found it really early on in my run (after my lone wolf killed the barbarian madman in a pretty good duel. Speaking of which, can you repair the broken armour he drops?) so I guess it might be an idea to take it out first, for the XP and reward.

Ijirock is significantly easier than any of the other boss events, and killling it reforges the broken armor.

It's been awhile since I've done it, but fighting the kraken is a very long battle of attrition that takes a lot of very high melee skill dudes. Attacking the head isn't generally worth it because the head has a ton of armor, and archers are risky to take along since they don't contribute to the defense of your dude-blob. Attacking the head with polearm users is also suicidal since all it takes is one unlucky turn for you to lose a dude if you're that close to the head. Since you're doing lone wolf you probably have to take your archers along, but if you have like 3 of them you're gonna need the rest of your squad to be kitted to the gills and not miss more than like one attack per turn.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

Ijirock is significantly easier than any of the other boss events, and killling it reforges the broken armor.

It's been awhile since I've done it, but fighting the kraken is a very long battle of attrition that takes a lot of very high melee skill dudes. Attacking the head isn't generally worth it because the head has a ton of armor, and archers are risky to take along since they don't contribute to the defense of your dude-blob. Attacking the head with polearm users is also suicidal since all it takes is one unlucky turn for you to lose a dude if you're that close to the head. Since you're doing lone wolf you probably have to take your archers along, but if you have like 3 of them you're gonna need the rest of your squad to be kitted to the gills and not miss more than like one attack per turn.

Alright cool - I've probably left Ijirock on the backburner for too long, then. And wow, so what, can you actually kill the kraken (well, incapacitate it at least) by exclusively targeting its tentacles? Since I thought I "killed" one, but a new one appeared a short distance away. I could be mistaken/misremembering though, since I only tried that once, before going for the head.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The tentacle damage just doesn't do enough at the end I think. You should basically have the goblin charm guy with a polehammer whacking away at the head full time.

The rest of your team shouldn't move in until the tentacles are in attack mode at the end because only 4 spawn at a time and it's way more manageable.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Yeah killing tentacles damages the kraken itself but deals less damage the closer it is to death, so the last of its life has to be dealt with via blows to the noggin.

Didn't they make the goblin charm not work on Kraken's ensnare? the description for the trophy specifically says "vines and nets" and I don't remember it being effective in my kraken win. It's definitely possible I just still had it on a 2h sword dude and assumed he wasn't being ensnared because he was never exposed.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
The charm still works on tentacles.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Battle Brothers is coming to Switch later this year

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fuckn put it on iPad already!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

This is outstanding. I hope they find a wider dedicated audience and continue with releasing more (yes even after Blazing Deserts) quality DLC.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Fuckn put it on iPad already!

I'm legitimately surprised its coming to Switch first over iPad. This game screams to be played on a tablet.

I'm super happy tho, as I dont have an ipad but do have a Switch.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I would like to mention the Legends mod again, as it's definitely worth a run or two if you've started to master the base game. (or want something different.)

Their most recent update added armor layering, letting you patch together your armor as you go. You start with something basic like a tunic or gambeson, then you have five possible layers to add on. The first being chain or plate, the second being leather, lamellar, or studded. Third is for tabards and other colorful poo poo, which usually gives you a minor resolve bonus. The fourth is for cloaks and the like, giving minor durability and resolve bonuses for very cheap, and the fifth is for addons you get from the taxidermist. And the R layer is for runes that you find as loot or made by your Vala enchantress if you find one.

Currently doing a Warlock run, a third of my front line are skeletons with a weiderganger bro in the center to convince enemies to advance towards the deadlier flanks. I'm noticing that the noble houses will skirmish and raid even when its not the noble war crisis, which is neat. Just on a much lower level. (Weak towns will still get conquered on rare occasions.) Keeping at least one pile of bones and a corpse to raise in battle if I need to patch a hole in my line.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

I'm gay for this news

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Drakenel posted:

I would like to mention the Legends mod again, as it's definitely worth a run or two if you've started to master the base game. (or want something different.)

Their most recent update added armor layering, letting you patch together your armor as you go. You start with something basic like a tunic or gambeson, then you have five possible layers to add on. The first being chain or plate, the second being leather, lamellar, or studded. Third is for tabards and other colorful poo poo, which usually gives you a minor resolve bonus. The fourth is for cloaks and the like, giving minor durability and resolve bonuses for very cheap, and the fifth is for addons you get from the taxidermist. And the R layer is for runes that you find as loot or made by your Vala enchantress if you find one.

Currently doing a Warlock run, a third of my front line are skeletons with a weiderganger bro in the center to convince enemies to advance towards the deadlier flanks. I'm noticing that the noble houses will skirmish and raid even when its not the noble war crisis, which is neat. Just on a much lower level. (Weak towns will still get conquered on rare occasions.) Keeping at least one pile of bones and a corpse to raise in battle if I need to patch a hole in my line.

How difficult/annoying is it to get the mod working? And is it a pain to swap back and forth between it and vanilla?

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

ShootaBoy posted:

How difficult/annoying is it to get the mod working? And is it a pain to swap back and forth between it and vanilla?

95% sure it's just moving a folder into a directory for the install, it was easy enough I don't remember anything specific.

Pretty interesting mod given how much content it adds. It all feels relatively in line with the base game too.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You are correct. Just download the mod, throw the zip file (do not unzip it) into the data folder, and you're golden. Want vanilla? Delete the zip file.

Edit: Hell, have the link. Enjoy. https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/60/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah, I think I was unlucky with my map seed in that there aren't many good armorers around but I'm definitely underequipped even compared to my first full campaign. Think I need to get a better understanding of how to make money either way, though - I was relying on boosting Renown/ambitions ASAP to get high rewards but seems like that was a mistake.

What kind of battles should I have been looking for to make high profits in midgame? I feel like I did fine up to that point and... should probably have stayed on the outskirts of the crisis after that. I was doing well at raiding orc camps etc but their loot wasn't selling for any great amount - guess I should be repairing weapons before selling them?

I came to the same conclusions about the injuries, the lung guy got booted immediately for a new archer who had 68 ranged at level 2, and the leg guy is being used as bait until I can replace him with a new DPS.

Thanks for the advice, feel like I shouldn't need it at 50 or so hours in but I'm obviously still getting my head around the endgame :)
ok, I don't really know what I was doing so wrong in this game. The advice last page was super helpful but I've also found it fairly trivial to get 210 armour on all but one melee guy by day 50. Think I have two or three lads who aren't cutting the mustard, but they'll be good sacrifices against the next hurdle of powerful enemies - next goal with my cashflow is to pick up warbows (haven't seen those on enemies ever?) and get some top tier recruits from the more expensive backgrounds to phase into my weak points.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I’m having the avast crash problem - added the directory and exe to the exceptions list but still happening, any further steps I’m missing?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

lenoon posted:

I’m having the avast crash problem - added the directory and exe to the exceptions list but still happening, any further steps I’m missing?

You’re missing the step where you delete avast from your computer; particularly in light of recent revelations that it was literally spyware.

There is no need for 3rd party anti virus on modern operating systems, they do more harm than good.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Woah poo poo I did not know that. It’s been on for a million years at this point

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

ok, I don't really know what I was doing so wrong in this game. The advice last page was super helpful but I've also found it fairly trivial to get 210 armour on all but one melee guy by day 50. Think I have two or three lads who aren't cutting the mustard, but they'll be good sacrifices against the next hurdle of powerful enemies - next goal with my cashflow is to pick up warbows (haven't seen those on enemies ever?) and get some top tier recruits from the more expensive backgrounds to phase into my weak points.

Warbows are a good purchase. You can get them off enemies, but those enemies are very rare: master archers and occasionally mercenaries are afaik the only enemies that will spawn with them, and they're both difficult to kill and likely to escape if the enemy starts fleeing, so there are a lot of steps between having an enemy spawn with one and actually ending up with it as loot. Unique bows are also exceptionally rare so it's not a waste to buy warbows.

e: I wouldn't prioritize them over better armour or better recruits though, the bows one tier down from them will do you fine well into the lategame and the bit of added damage from the warbow may not be worth the added protection or stats you would get from spending an equivalent amount on armour or recruits

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 31, 2020

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, ultimately, while warbows are a big upgrade, the enemies you need your archers against most will die easily if you can hit them.
Necromancers, Brigand Marksmen, Goblin Shamans and Hexen can't take a lot of punishment.
If you fight Orcs a lot you may want to spend the money to kill advancing Berserkers (and Young) more reliably though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Lord Bude posted:

You’re missing the step where you delete avast from your computer; particularly in light of recent revelations that it was literally spyware.

There is no need for 3rd party anti virus on modern operating systems, they do more harm than good.

This is correct. My computer has been so much more hassle-free with Avast out of my life.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This is one of those games where I feel that the devs don’t know how to play it compared to the players. This game needs major quality of life changes yesterday. The legends mod is so much better than the base game it’s stunning and still the legends mod also misses the mark in a few ways.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, ultimately, while warbows are a big upgrade, the enemies you need your archers against most will die easily if you can hit them.
Necromancers, Brigand Marksmen, Goblin Shamans and Hexen can't take a lot of punishment.
If you fight Orcs a lot you may want to spend the money to kill advancing Berserkers (and Young) more reliably though.

Archers are still the best tools against those.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

The Lord Bude posted:

Archers are still the best tools against those.
Which is why I said that upgrading to warbows might be worth it if you're fighting Orcs a lot.
Tier 2 bows are good enough against them because of their low armor but even Orc Young have 125 HP.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Which is why I said that upgrading to warbows might be worth it if you're fighting Orcs a lot.
Tier 2 bows are good enough against them because of their low armor but even Orc Young have 125 HP.

Whoops I misunderstood you.

Warbows are the first things I really splurge on; although in my current run I have a pair of +12 and +13% hit goblin bows I use against the tricky fuckers.

Also the Goblin City is the most annoying thing ever. I just kept my guys standing in one spot, killing a couple of goblins a turn with my archers till they routed. Took forever, I was browsing the forums waiting for all the goblins to take a turn.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, I don't like the Goblin City. There are turns where basically nothing happens.
The Black Monolith takes a while to get through as well but there's never a boring turn.

Also:

I knew it was going to be bad but I didn't expect the hot -10/-10 Defenses.
Also, max Melee Skill.
This guy has a special place in my heart already.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Is that orc malus too? Have him go toe to toe with a berserker. If he survives, he is now the main character of that run.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, I don't like the Goblin City. There are turns where basically nothing happens.
The Black Monolith takes a while to get through as well but there's never a boring turn.

Also:

Also, max Melee Skill.

This is a case for a polearm warscythe brother.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I don't know, he has no Ranged Defense either so I want to give him a shield. He also has good HP and Resolve which are kinda wasted on a polearm bro.
OTOH he has rolled 1s in Melee Defense for his first two levels. :v:

moot the hopple posted:

Is that orc malus too? Have him go toe to toe with a berserker. If he survives, he is now the main character of that run.
Yeah, if that guy sees a Berserker with a chain he'll poo poo himself, and for good reason.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Also:

Also, max Melee Skill.

Not good enough to be a 2hander dude, what with only 87 melee attack and the defence penalties .You could make him a shield bro and give him an Orc cleaver to take advantage of the decent stamina; but I would actually train him in Polearms and give him a warscythe and a halberd. 87 melee attack is really good by backline standards because you'll invariably take backstab; I'm more lenient with stamina on the backline because they all take nimble, but having extra is always good for warscythes because you're doing 1-2 AOEs per turn. The damage output will be incredible.

I'd give him one level up in resolve, when you have a 4 point opportunity, then cherry pick 4 point health level ups till he hits 75; then pump the rest of the level ups into defence stats. Melee attack and stamina every turn, though with that much stamina to start with on a back liner you could afford to skip a few bad rolls.

Wizard Styles posted:

I don't know, he has no Ranged Defense either so I want to give him a shield. He also has good HP and Resolve which are kinda wasted on a polearm bro.
OTOH he has rolled 1s in Melee Defense for his first two levels. :v:

Yeah, if that guy sees a Berserker with a chain he'll poo poo himself, and for good reason.

Not relevant. Polearm dudes stand directly behind front liners, so they already have some built in protection. In my experience archers do gently caress all damage to guys once they have nimble - he can tank half a dozen arrows easily if you build him up to 75 ish health. I usually give my polearms unhold plating because they're more likely to see melee combat than archers but you could give him the unhold fur cloak instead. He'd be virtually arrow proof.

If Beserkers are getting close enough to enter melee with your dudes then you're doing it wrong. Pick them off with archers. Worst case scenario use a whip bro to disarm them and give them a bare assed whooping.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 1, 2020

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Dude, I know how to build bros and fight Orcs, I've playing this game for a minute.
Also, nobody seriously considered having him duel a Berserker.

And in my experience the defenses of polearm bros do matter a lot. Not so much on Veteran but I've lost a few of them on Expert, which I'm on right now. Higher level ones only got killed in melee but getting their armor destroyed and taking chip damage from ranged opponents doesn't help, of course. And standing in the back only helps that much. All ranged enemies worth worrying about have Bullseye. Even Reavers have it.
I don't like them that much on Expert in general because I really want 8 bros to hold the line.

At the same time I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good polearm bro, just that -10/-10 base Defenses are always going to be a problem for him.
Right now I'm leaning towards making him a shield bro because that means I only need to really level Melee Defense. And he has good Resolve, although he can't really be a tank with his defenses. Also, like I said I'm not really a fan of polearm bros on Expert. I tend to turn random Cripples and disloyal Ratcatchers into them to bring into fights archers aren't suitable for but that's about it.

e: I loved my polearm bros during my militia run, though.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 1, 2020

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I was just joking that that kind of brother with those stats and trait would be blessed by the gods/have a baptism by fire if he survived jump rope with a berserker, noone was actually serious jeez

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I must be playing a different game, cause half the time I don't really have that level of being picky. Even with lovely stats, as long as they have the health pool and at least one star in melee defence they go in the shieldwall. Sure, later on I plan to be super picky and cycle them out with recruits that don't suck, but the difference between 'subpar rear end in a top hat with a shield in the line' vs 'no one at all' is pretty huge in keeping people I care about alive.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If you’re not playing on Ironman; it’s better to only hire people that will be good enough for the endgame (bearing in mind you still want some shield people even in an end game company for various circumstances.). Growing the size of your company more slowly slows down the game’s difficulty scaling and also means you aren’t wasting xp; so your guys hit level 11 as quickly as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Started playing militia, and holy poo poo this is a different game. Fielding 16 bro’s opens up so many play options. 8+8 shield wall and pole arms means I never have to move - sprinkle in 3-4 archers against Orcs or barbarians.

Are throwing weapons just not good? Having to balance melee and ranged skills while hemorrhaging ammunition doesn’t feel good. I’ve tried fielding 4 throwers, but it’s usually better and cheaper just to have a back line archer instead.