Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

IceAgeComing posted:

Kairi Sane was scouted by Stardom because she played a pro wrestling heel in a play and Fuka, one of the executives in Stardom at the time, saw the thing and offered her a spot in the Stardom dojo.

Hikaru Shida came from an acting background but I don't think it was theatre acting (the story with her was that she was in a TV series called Muscle Venus with the cast of that basically forming an idol group from it; then they collectively got cast in a film about pro wrestling and all got pro wrestling training in the Ice Ribbon dojo with Shida, Tsukasa Fujimoto and Miyako Matsumoto discovering that they really liked wrestling so stuck with it afterwards) but she later formed MAKAI which is sort of a fusion of theatre acting and pro wrestling; not entirely sure how exactly to describe it.

Makai is wonderful, and a bunch of their shows are online. Imagine a mythological play set in the afterlife, taking place in a wrestling ring, with heavy metal accompaniment and LARP weapons. A section from a recent show can be found here, and lots of their full shows are on their youtube account: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKHGLyAm6k4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It doesn't really count but Batista started taking acting classes around the time he was cast in Guardians of the Galaxy (I think) because he wanted to do the best he could.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lamuella posted:

Makai is wonderful, and a bunch of their shows are online. Imagine a mythological play set in the afterlife, taking place in a wrestling ring, with heavy metal accompaniment and LARP weapons. A section from a recent show can be found here, and lots of their full shows are on their youtube account: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKHGLyAm6k4

gently caress you for showing this to me because now I'm all in addicted to it and can't stop watching. I hope you're happy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lamuella posted:

Why isn't Taichi doing this?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I haven't enjoyed some crazy youtube thing this much since STREETBEEFS

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

gently caress you for showing this to me because now I'm all in addicted to it and can't stop watching. I hope you're happy.

Delighted.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Why is Canadian Destroyer everywhere know? Seems like everyone does it and the move has lost its "impact".. is it because it pretty simple to do? Does it even pop the crowd anymore?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Super No Vacancy posted:

there were gifs at some point of her doing headscissors and ranas in the play i think but they're less easy to find

https://twitter.com/dramaticddt/status/1158008508056526849?lang=en

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

TheCool69 posted:

Why is Canadian Destroyer everywhere know? Seems like everyone does it and the move has lost its "impact".. is it because it pretty simple to do? Does it even pop the crowd anymore?

because it's badass

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
so I didnt realize that the hair in the jushin liger costume was fake and sewn in until like two years ago. this wasnt always the case, right? anyone know when ligers hair became more costume than man?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

shiksa posted:

so I didnt realize that the hair in the jushin liger costume was fake and sewn in until like two years ago. this wasnt always the case, right? anyone know when ligers hair became more costume than man?

i thought it was always like that. even in WCW it looked like a wig.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Did we ever find out what the personal story about Vince Punk alluded to at the end of the pipebomb was?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I Before E posted:

Did we ever find out what the personal story about Vince Punk alluded to at the end of the pipebomb was?

my assumption was always that it was nothing, and that "personal story about Vince" was the cue to the sound desk to cut Punk's mic in about 5 seconds.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

TheCool69 posted:

Easy safe big move that was an easy pop, It's slowly starting to make it's exit like the reverse rana or handspring cutter, old dudes like Rickey Morton or Dustin pulling one out still gets a great pop.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is Kevin Dunn working in Japan now too?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FunMerrania posted:

Easy safe big move that was an easy pop, It's slowly starting to make it's exit like the reverse rana or handspring cutter, old dudes like Rickey Morton or Dustin pulling one out still gets a great pop.

I thought you were making poo poo up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvbpmjQI55s

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Morton did one on AEW TV a few months ago too.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
Yeah Dustin destroyed some fool on the apron at Dynamite a few weeks ago and it was the match highlight

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's funny how five years ago Dustin was only doing the Code Red as his cool move you wouldn't expect from an old guy. As he has gotten even older he has moved on to the Canadian Destroyer.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Dustin Rhodes has had such a weird late bloom. Like it was in the 2010s that he started buckling down and really improving in the ring.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like to think Dustin got pissed off by WWE basically ignoring him for 10 years and that lit a fire under his rear end

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Dustin Rhodes has had such a weird late bloom. Like it was in the 2010s that he started buckling down and really improving in the ring.

Wasn't he always regarded as a really good talent early on, pre-Goldust? I remember a lot of wrestlers saying Dustin totally lived up to his nickname at the time, "The Natural," he just had the issue of... y'know, having virtually no charisma, made even more apparent by being associated with his insanely charismatic dad.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

Wasn't he always regarded as a really good talent early on, pre-Goldust? I remember a lot of wrestlers saying Dustin totally lived up to his nickname at the time, "The Natural," he just had the issue of... y'know, having virtually no charisma, made even more apparent by being associated with his insanely charismatic dad.

Yes, and when he made his comeback about tagged with Booker and later Cody, he reminded people hes a fantastic tag wrestler

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 1, 2020

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

TriffTshngo posted:

Was there ever anyone with a blue chipper gimmick who got it over/showed a ton of charisma?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Does being called "The Next Big Thing" count as a blue chipper gimmick?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The Senator Giroux posted:

Was there ever anyone with a blue chipper gimmick who got it over/showed a ton of charisma?

Sting and Tanahashi are the main two that immediately come to mind.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

There was this guy called Rocky Maivia? Dunno what happened to him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Deathlove posted:

There was this guy called Rocky Maivia? Dunno what happened to him.

Who didn't get over with that gimmick at all.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Defiance Industries posted:

Who didn't get over with that gimmick at all.

Oh "got it over" misread as "got over it" 🙃

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Randy Orton?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kind of cheating but multiple von erichs pretty much did that. then again i guess that gimmick goes hand in hand with family ties at least 50% of the time

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
is it true that the NOAH announcers made fun of Samoa Joe and thought he was a comedy act because he kept doing King's Road moves in his match against Misawa

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Low Desert Punk posted:

is it true that the NOAH announcers made fun of Samoa Joe and thought he was a comedy act because he kept doing King's Road moves in his match against Misawa

That's hilarious if true.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TriffTshngo posted:

Sting and Tanahashi are the main two that immediately come to mind.

I always forget just how well surfer Sting connected with the crowd, especially kids. He basically acted like a big kid that was given a chance to be a wrestler and it somehow clicked.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

This convinced me to finally watch Joe vs Misawa after well over a decade of putting it off, thanks.

The most damning thing I can see is Takayama having a laugh over Joe being a huge puro fanboy and "he moves well for a fatty". But they both put him over and say all of these are what make him dangerous against Misawa.

finalcake fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 2, 2020

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

TriffTshngo posted:

Yeah, he was really good. Too bad he fell into addiction like that

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dustin and Austin had some really good matches in WCW, too. Dustin's charisma wasn't there yet, but he wasn't as bad as some other second gen wrestlers

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Anyone with doubts about Dustin's ability when he was young should check out the series he had against Vader.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TriffTshngo posted:

When he very first came to WCW he was seen as a nepotism push but he got good pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MathMathCalculation
Jan 1, 2006
After his Goldust stuff, when he returned to WCW, was his run considered any good? I remember when he cut a promo about how he hated dressing up as something silly and then his gimmick was like a generic cowboy. It seemed pretty boring to me at the time, with the only memorable thing being that he carried around a cowbell, but at that point I was pretty done with WCW so I might be biased.