Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Welp, AEW's short run as the only promotion in the world with a WMOTY Candidate for 2020 is over, and WWE has now doubled that with 2 WMOTY Candidates in a single show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

HM: Daniel Bryan vs The Fiend, Royal Rumble 1/26
HM: Women's royal rumble 1/26
HM: Becky/Asuka Royal Rumble 1/26

All getting Nth's from me

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Women's Royal Rumble, WWE Royal Rumble, 26/01

Everything in the men's from #16 onwards was great so I can't give it a WMOTYC. There were some cool bits in the first half as well but it definitely went too deep and sacrificed too many guys for it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WWE Royal Rumble, Jan 26th
HM: Women’s Rumble actually can I rescind this because the Santina stuff actually did sour me on the match
HM: Becky Lynch vs Asuka
HM: Men’s Rumble

The Brock stuff was good! And it paid off perfectly!!

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 27, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HM: Bryan vs Fiend as well, sorry

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
HM: WWE Women's Royal Rumble, 1/26/20

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Need to catch up on the wrestling over the past few weeks, but for what I was able to catch over the past week:

HM: Keith Lee vs. Roderick Strong 1/22 NXT

HM: Becky Lynch vs. Asuka 1/26 Royal Rumble
HM: Daniel Bryan vs. The Fiend 1/26 Royal Rumble

Santina pushed the Women's Rumble out of HM territory for me, which was sad because Bianca Belair came out of it looking like a star IMO. Honestly, I was considering WMOTYC for the Rumble for a different reason than most, but decided not to. I spent too much time worrying about whether Edge would take a really bad bump, and it took a lot out of the match. I'm glad he is okay at least.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 27, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Agreed on the womens rumble, I want to un-HM it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The women's Rumble was fine, but the ending ruined it for me. I hated the first half of the men's but loved the second half, so I can't really call it worst.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Men's Rumble was good, that was the first good Royal Rumble I've seen in like 10 years. I'm not gonna nominate it but like, it was objectively Very Good.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
WMOTYC: Roman Reigns vs. Baron Corbin, WWE Royal Rumble - 1/26
Awful.

WMOTYC: Women's Royal Rumble, WWE Royal Rumble - 1/26
Santina Marella is Women Revolution! Yeaaah...

WMOTYC Men's Royal Rumble WWE Royal Rumble, 26 January
BORK BORK BORK BORK (Drew's win will prob be meaningless too)

Superb carry job by Asuka.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

NienNunb posted:

objectively Very Good.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

HM: Nautilus (Naomi Yoshimura & Yuki Ueno) (c) vs. Yuki Iino & Chihiro Hashimoto for the KO-D Tag Team Championship - DDT Sweet Dreams (1/26)

Two big boys, one big girl and one twinky guy. They really went for it. Great match. Think Nautilus might be an early pick for tag team of the year.

MOTYC: HARASHIMA (c) vs. Masato Tanaka for the KO-D Openweight Championship - DDT Sweet Dreams (1/26)

These guys are pushing 50 and Tanaka has probably taken more chair shots than anyone in the world they shouldnt still be like this

nth

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

HM: Nautilus (Naomi Yoshimura & Yuki Ueno) (c) vs. Yuki Iino & Chihiro Hashimoto for the KO-D Tag Team Championship - DDT Sweet Dreams (1/26)

Two big boys, one big girl and one twinky guy. They really went for it. Great match. Think Nautilus might be an early pick for tag team of the year.

MOTYC: HARASHIMA (c) vs. Masato Tanaka for the KO-D Openweight Championship - DDT Sweet Dreams (1/26)

These guys are pushing 50 and Tanaka has probably taken more chair shots than anyone in the world they shouldnt still be like this

Nth

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Nth on both of these

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Asuka vs. Akito in a single light tube deathmatch made the MOTYC list last year and it was my personal MOTY, now DDT have put it on YouTube for free so check it out if you haven't already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSrH4TuKq1I

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Asuka vs. Akito in a single light tube deathmatch made the MOTYC list last year and it was my personal MOTY, now DDT have put it on YouTube for free so check it out if you haven't already

That match was unbelievably good and tense in a way that no other match I can remember was. Seriously impressive and creative and fun and I adored it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh hell yeah! That match ruled so hard. It's very sad they don't show the entrances (yes, the light tube also got an entrance). Probably music rights? Anyway watch it watch it watch it watch it if you didn't see it already

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: AXIZ (Go Shiozaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima) (c) vs. Naomichi Marufuji & Masaaki Mochizuki for the GHC Tag Team Championship - NOAH Reboot (1/5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a-MMgyyQY0

Pretty sure that NOAH are doing tag team wrestling better than anyone out there right now. Note: this match happened after the Go Shiozaki vs. Kaito Kiyomiya match for the GHC title on 1/4 so if you're trying to avoid spoilers for that, don't watch this.

Hell to the yeah. AXIZ were the best tag team in 2019. Marufuji and Mochizuki are two all-time favourites. They all combine for just a terrific match

(Sidenote, imo the 5/1 NOAH show was more fun than New Year Dash)

Go Shiozaki has had some start to the year. Just wish more NOAH made tape.

MassRafTer posted:

HM: Mistico vs Gran Guerrero CMLL 1/24

Mistico was fantastic in this match. Broke out his best spots and an amazing springboard SSP. This was MOTY Caliber down the stretch but the finish dropped it down a bit, but that's fine if this leads somewhere. But it's CMLL so it probably won't, but it might!

https://twitter.com/narukiroy/status/1220923104312070146

Should be on youtube soon!

2nd this

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Keith Lee vs Roderick Strong (c), NXT North American, NXT 1/22

This would have been better if it was three minutes shorter at a minimum.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Punch McLightning posted:

This would have been better if it was three minutes shorter at a minimum.
Wednesday_Night_Wars.txt

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Showing this to all my friends.

Oh yeah, a nom:

MOTYC
Carlos "El Guapo" Zamora (c) vs Mike Madrigal for the DPW Heavyweight Championship, PWR Mabuhay Ang Wrestling (1/26)

First live show of the year and everyone was freaking blown away by this match. Mike Madrigal fighting through a faction to gently caress El Guapo up. Their chops were the crispest I've ever heard live. Hoping they'd upload it to YouTube soon.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 28, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
3rd January
Stand Alone Wrestling Don't Kross The Boss
Brandon Kirk vs Masashi Takeda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCNLjFPf6XM

So hey. This is a death match with light tubes & chairs & a barbwire covered table & more light tubes & a cheese grater & some large scissors & some really dirty looking panes of glass so consider this fair warning. Now lets talk Takeda. The best death match wrestler in the world and legitimately talented wrestler full stop. For background to this match, consider that Takeda wrestled the 29th December & 30th December for DDT, 30th December for OWE, 1st January for Zero 1, 2nd January for BJW (in a death match), 3rd January for FREEDOMS, then he hops on a plane and lands in the US & then wrestles again, in a death match in Brick, New Jersey, a place I am not sure I believe is even real, for a company I've never heard of against a guy with not much of a profile if you don't follow US death matches. Then he goes to ICW to face Low Ki on the 4th. 8 matches in 7 days in 2 different continents & 2 of them featured light tubes & barbwire boards. Despite the small crowd & having just gotten off a plane across the Pacific, Takeda is really good here. It's short, it elevates Kirk, it's worth a watch.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

This was fun, thank you for reminding me to watch it for freeeeeeeeee.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Forastero vs. Titan, FantasticaMania, 1/17

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Oh hell yeah! That match ruled so hard. It's very sad they don't show the entrances (yes, the light tube also got an entrance). Probably music rights? Anyway watch it watch it watch it watch it if you didn't see it already

Yeah the light tube's entrance was done by a famous Japanese artist (I think they were parodying an MMA entrance) and Asuka uses Beyonce so music rights are a no go there.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

forkboy84 posted:

HM
3rd January
Stand Alone Wrestling Don't Kross The Boss
Brandon Kirk vs Masashi Takeda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCNLjFPf6XM

So hey. This is a death match with light tubes & chairs & a barbwire covered table & more light tubes & a cheese grater & some large scissors & some really dirty looking panes of glass so consider this fair warning. Now lets talk Takeda. The best death match wrestler in the world and legitimately talented wrestler full stop. For background to this match, consider that Takeda wrestled the 29th December & 30th December for DDT, 30th December for OWE, 1st January for Zero 1, 2nd January for BJW (in a death match), 3rd January for FREEDOMS, then he hops on a plane and lands in the US & then wrestles again, in a death match in Brick, New Jersey, a place I am not sure I believe is even real, for a company I've never heard of against a guy with not much of a profile if you don't follow US death matches. Then he goes to ICW to face Low Ki on the 4th. 8 matches in 7 days in 2 different continents & 2 of them featured light tubes & barbwire boards. Despite the small crowd & having just gotten off a plane across the Pacific, Takeda is really good here. It's short, it elevates Kirk, it's worth a watch.
I'm giving this
MOTYC: Brandon Kirk vs Masashi Takeda - SAW Don't Kross the Boss 1/3

It's really really good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM: Cody vs. Kip Sabian, AEW Dynamite 1/29

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
HM: Miedo Extremo (c) vs. Ciclope (Campeonato Extremo Zona 23) - Zona 23 Torneo King of Backyard 2020 1/19
MOTYC: Impulso vs. Fly Star vs. Dement Xtrem vs. Terremoto (Torneo King of Backyard 2020 Final) - Zona 23 Torneo King of Backyard 2020 1/19

Really good junkyard stuff. Tournament final main event is super nasty with some brutal bumps onto a metal bench made out of a truck tailgate.

Show's on IWTV: https://independentwrestling.tv/player/Jdv1B2o4bN
HM title match is at 56:06
Tournament final is at 1:24:02

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
30th January
Pro Wrestling NOAH Global Jr League Finals
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Global Jr League Semi-Final
Daisuke Harada vs Hajime Ohara

HM
30th January
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Kongo (Kenoh, Haoh, Masa Kitamiya, Nioh, Yoshiki Inamura) vs Hitoshi Kumano, Junta Miyawaki, Kaito Kiyomiya, Minoru Tanaka, Naomichi Marufuji

HM
30th January
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Global Jr League Final
Daisuke Harada vs Dick Togo

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 30, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM: Cody vs. Kip Sabian, AEW Dynamite 1/29

I'll nth this, I thought it did a really good job of selling Kip as the scumbag who will go that little bit further than the other cheaters in AEW to really cheat. Plus Cody fell for the trick that he and Brandi invented

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Angelico & Jack Evans vs. Kazarian & Scorpio Sky, AEW Dynamite 1/29

Came close on Cody-Sabian & the main, but both were just a bit short of the mark for me. I think this might have been the first episode of Dynamite where I generally liked the angles better than the matches.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Daniel Makabe vs. Judas Icarus, 3-2-1 BATTLE! Hindsight: 2020

Look past the fact that Judas Icarus dresses like Simple Jack. This is a great hard hitting, technical match-up, where Makabe in particular shines. If he gets a bigger stage, I think he could be featured much like Zack Sabre Jr. currently is.

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/534181000 . Jump about 2 hour 30 minutes into this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is there a date for that show?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Is there a date for that show?

10th January for the 3-2-1 Battle show. It's on my "to be watched" list.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Kazuchika Okada/Jon Moxley vs. Minoru Suzuki/Taichi w/ Miho Abe, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 01/02

These five are so cool they coulda just stood in the ring for 20 minutes and it would still be an HM

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

HM: Kazuchika Okada/Jon Moxley vs. Minoru Suzuki/Taichi w/ Miho Abe, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 01/02

These five are so cool they coulda just stood in the ring for 20 minutes and it would still be an HM

Agreed, though you could argue Miho carried it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

Seconding, it's cool when five of your top 10 people in pro wrestling just do good poo poo for an extended amount of time

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

Nth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Yes. Says a lot when Okada is the fifth least interesting person in a 2v2 tag.