Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Proteus Jones posted:

At a guess, it provides essential libraries to other OS apps and services?
No. By definition an app is a fully contained software construct that works separately for the user. Apps need the foundation of the OS and services. They aren't a foundation themselves.
Finder being the exception to that.

American McGay posted:

How is it preventing you from using Image Capture?
I've already got ImageCapture open and all previous versions of the OS that I used (since ImageCapture existed), it would see the card mounted. Photos launches and asserts itself for no reason. (Acting like a service, which is laughable).

Pivo posted:

code:
defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES
defaults -currentHost write com.apple.Photos disableHotPlug -bool YES
That's helpful, I'll try that. Thanks Pivo.

Apple assuming that I would ever want any application they wrote to automatically help me with my media is asinine and narcissistic. If it asked me once and I said, "No." that would be OK.
It all started with iTunes trying to touch any 'audio' type of file years and years automatically importing music etc. Then you had to go into iTunes and turn those default preferences 'off'. That poor bastard of an application was the beginning of the egregious nanny macOS milieu trying to coddle me like I need training wheels.

Just be Unix with a nice GUI please. Stay out of the way. That's enough, that's all I want. Fix the bugs, don't try to impress me otherwise. I'll write a script if I want to help myself do something that's too labor intensive. Save your good Samaritan ethics and efficiency for people with tablets and phones, or just write 'opt-in' dialogues so people can decide for themselves. It should be common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

^^^^^come join us in the Linux thread buddy, it's the only way to get what you want.

Anyways, my dad installed avast on his Mac sometime recentlyish. Between commercial antiviruses being an attack vector at times and the new discovery that their harvesting literally all of their users web traffic I'd rather it not be there, but he says it's found the occasional thing. Is there anything preferable I can give him to scan for suspicious files?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Is there any relatively easy way to backup DVD movies using macOS? I was able to create a DMG using Disk Utility, but I'm not quite sure what I'd do from there. Could I mount it to a virtual drive and play it on my Mac?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

nitsuga posted:

Is there any relatively easy way to backup DVD movies using macOS? I was able to create a DMG using Disk Utility, but I'm not quite sure what I'd do from there. Could I mount it to a virtual drive and play it on my Mac?

I use RipIt, and then a terminal command to make the resulting folder an ISO file. Then I toss it over to Kodi. It works pretty well. If you need the command, I can try to get it when I'm back home.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

nitsuga posted:

I don’t think that will work because of the DRM encryption at least that’s my hazy recollection. Try HandBrake to rip the DVD to another format is probably easiest.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
DVDFab is actually really good, it's not free though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I started to rip all my DVDs a couple years ago but I stopped when I realized that DVD video looks like trash on anything larger than an iPad.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I started to rip all my DVDs a couple years ago but I stopped when I realized that DVD video looks like trash on anything larger than an iPad.

I did it because some stuff I'm not going to rebuy (or have the option to, like Simpsons DVDs), and the whole disk rot thing. If you're going to rewatch it, you might as well save the hassle of pulling out the disks that may start to literally fall apart.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

IUG posted:

I use RipIt, and then a terminal command to make the resulting folder an ISO file. Then I toss it over to Kodi. It works pretty well. If you need the command, I can try to get it when I'm back home.

That sounds promising. I'd definitely give it a try.

Thanks to everybody for the feedback too. So far playing from discs hasn't been too bad, but it'd be nice to have other options.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Catalina 10.15.3 dropped :siren:

release notes:

Optimizes gamma handling of low gray levels on Pro Display XDR for SDR workflows when using macOS

Improves multi-stream video editing performance for HEVC and H.264 encoded 4K video on the 16-inch MacBook Pro (2019)

nothing else.

edit: Catalina now tries to be nice when a system update is waiting it'll tell you it'll restart later or something

Also, be warned 10.15.3 might wanna reboot like 3x before it's done..

Also :spergin: Security Update 2020-001 and Safari 13.0.5 for Mojave :spergin:

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 28, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

nitsuga posted:

That sounds promising. I'd definitely give it a try.

Thanks to everybody for the feedback too. So far playing from discs hasn't been too bad, but it'd be nice to have other options.

Made it back, the command to compile a folder to ISO is:
code:
hdiutil makehybrid -o /PATH/OF/FINAL.iso /PATH/OF/FOLDER/TO/CONVERT/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IUG posted:

I did it because some stuff I'm not going to rebuy (or have the option to, like Simpsons DVDs), and the whole disk rot thing. If you're going to rewatch it, you might as well save the hassle of pulling out the disks that may start to literally fall apart.

For animated shows, it’s worth looking online for projects where people rescue the absolute doghouse DVD releases and turn them into really far better things than the source.

Also things like Daria which, on top of the above, also have fan projects to restore the original music too.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

IUG posted:

huh, I thought disc rot was strictly a CD-R problem, but you’re right. DVDs are supposed to be less susceptible than CDs though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want to backup my entire iCloud Photo Library with all the metadata, organizational structure, and full resolution copies of all the pictures (edited and original) in it, essentially a snapshot. How could I do this?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Anyone here used Privileges? https://github.com/SAP/macOS-enterprise-privileges

I have it on a test machine and it seems to be something useful. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it to know if there's any gotchas in it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IUG posted:

So Music and my iPhone sync has been a headache for me last night and this morning. I'm regretting updating so far. (I also don't want to bump my iTunes thread, so I'm ranting here.)

And then there's this:

There's 3 more off the screen. I have no idea which playlists these actually are, and they show up properly in Music on my Mac.

So this problem with replicating, invisible-to-Music-on-MacOS playlists seems to finally have been defeated. Looks like it took over 3 months to solve. I'm posting it here in case anyone else had the problem. Before I fixed it, I was up to 42 copies of this playlist.

It had something to do with either macOS 10.15.3 or iOS 13.3.1. I updated both of these OSs and synced. Then I renamed the duplicate playlists from iOS (stuff like Utility1, Utility 2, all the way up to Utility 42). I synced again and they showed up in Music. I deleted them from Music, and synced again. They were gone again, and they haven't come back in a few days now. Usually I get them (possibly) after every time I sync, which I have done about 10 times since updating both OSs.

What an annoying loving bug that was.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Marginally confused about using brew cask to get the latest versions of applications.

code:
$ brew cask upgrade
==> No Casks to upgrade
But then...

code:
$ brew cask upgrade firefox
==> Upgrading 1 outdated package:
firefox 71.0 -> 72.0.2
What's the command I need to be running for it to find that Firefox is outdated without me having to name it?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Sad Panda posted:

Marginally confused about using brew cask to get the latest versions of applications.

code:
$ brew cask upgrade
==> No Casks to upgrade
But then...

code:
$ brew cask upgrade firefox
==> Upgrading 1 outdated package:
firefox 71.0 -> 72.0.2
What's the command I need to be running for it to find that Firefox is outdated without me having to name it?

cask ignores any casks with auto updaters when running the upgrade command, if you want it to include those pieces of software you need to add the --greedy flag, so as seen below:

brew cask upgrade --greedy

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I couldn't find anything from a Google search, but does anyone know of a way to get a push notification to my phone from XLD when a CD rips? I was even thinking of using Automator for when a log file was made, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm using Pushover as a service already for Kodi.

EDIT: Got it. It was a folder action script in Automator watching that folder. Filtered for a file ending in "log", and a bash script for Pushover.

IUG fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 2, 2020

Violator
May 15, 2003

IUG posted:

I couldn't find anything from a Google search, but does anyone know of a way to get a push notification to my phone from XLD when a CD rips? I was even thinking of using Automator for when a log file was made, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm using Pushover as a service already for Kodi.

EDIT: Got it. It was a folder action script in Automator watching that folder. Filtered for a file ending in "log", and a bash script for Pushover.

Dang that’s slick. I’ve been wondering for a while how to get a notification sent with various exports, like FCP. That might be a good way to do it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well unfortunetly it doesn't seem to work. It seems it doesn't see when XLD makes the log file, but if I rename the folder (which I do to add in the catalog number), then I get an alert. I have to get automator to see that file some other way I guess.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My work has started piloting Catalina, and I've discovered that Apple removed the dashboard, where I had a calendar widget to show an overview of the month. As far as I can tell, the only option I have now for a month view is to leave Calendar.app running or go through the process to bring in some third-party piece of software. Is there something I'm missing?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hooah posted:

My work has started piloting Catalina, and I've discovered that Apple removed the dashboard, where I had a calendar widget to show an overview of the month. As far as I can tell, the only option I have now for a month view is to leave Calendar.app running or go through the process to bring in some third-party piece of software. Is there something I'm missing?

No, that's pretty much it. I use Mini Calendar.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Weedle posted:

No, that's pretty much it. I use Mini Calendar.

That's what I was afraid of. loving Apple.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

On Windows, if you click the time in the task or menu or whatever bar, it shows you a quick calendar. Is there a simple app that can mimic this? I don’t need any advanced features or anything, just a basic digital clock that when tapped shows a calendar of the current month and maybe a few in the future and past.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

LODGE NORTH posted:

On Windows, if you click the time in the task or menu or whatever bar, it shows you a quick calendar. Is there a simple app that can mimic this? I don’t need any advanced features or anything, just a basic digital clock that when tapped shows a calendar of the current month and maybe a few in the future and past.

Fantastical? Although it's gone a bit bloated over time…

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Tippis posted:

Fantastical? Although it's gone a bit bloated over time…

Yeah...

Fantastical is great, but I really don’t need all the extras it has jam packed into it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's also getting a mass exodus in the iOS thread because they just switched to a subscription style app. Seems no one is impressed with what they're charging you for.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Oof. And only two posts above mine too. :ohdear:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I know, that guy is a great poster and often seems to anticipate people's needs before they're even stated. I hear he's incredibly handsome as well

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I used Day-0 but that was discontinued so I use itsycal now. It's extremely minimal which is my main use case. I just wanna look at the task bar and know what the date is, and it works great.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Serious question. Is here any reason to update to Cat? All my programs work with Mojave.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

No real reason, unless you've hacked your 5,1 MacPro to run Catalina just so you can put in those sexy new AMD Navi GPU cards whose drivers are still laden with enough bugs to overrun any picnic, and Catalina IMHO is still a work in progress.

Unless of course, you can't live with the fact that your OS and your apps still have chunks of that filthy 32-bit code embedded in them.

Also, of course, if you bought a super duper new Mac Pro, or 16-inch MacBook Pro, you have no choice in the matter.

Didn't someone say before that Mojave is the new Snow Leopard? :D

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 4, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

No real reason, unless you've hacked your 5,1 MacPro to run Catalina just so you can put in those sexy new AMD Navi GPU cards whose drivers are still laden with enough bugs to overrun any picnic, and Catalina IMHO is still a work in progress.

Unless of course, you can't live with the fact that your OS and your apps still have chunks of that filthy 32-bit code embedded in them.

Didn't someone say before that Mojave is the new Snow Leopard? :D

So As long as I run this iMac I’ll be on Mojave. (It’s my production machine). Got it!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I haven’t yet tried it myself, but one nice feature in APFS that’s suddenly relevant is its ability to add a second boot volume without the old school overhead of adding a partition.

Not that I like needing to reboot to run a game, but Mojave won’t be viable as a primary OS forever, so I figure I’ll be doing that sooner or later.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Well i hosed myself tonight

Got tired of seeing my deadname when i log in and in a few other places when using my macbook, so i asked their support about it and they said make another acct and redirect my files to its user folder,
so i did that but everything is default now, even mouse settings, etc. so i figured wtf, i'll just reverse it, but now the settings app freezes when i try to change the folder back, and i "dont have permission" to access all of my documents
So now i'm trying to time machine backup to an hour ago before i started. I sure hope this works but its gonna take 2-3 hours to find out...

Just :negative: ugggggggh

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Well i hosed myself tonight

Got tired of seeing my deadname when i log in and in a few other places when using my macbook, so i asked their support about it and they said make another acct and redirect my files to its user folder,
so i did that but everything is default now, even mouse settings, etc. so i figured wtf, i'll just reverse it, but now the settings app freezes when i try to change the folder back, and i "dont have permission" to access all of my documents
So now i'm trying to time machine backup to an hour ago before i started. I sure hope this works but its gonna take 2-3 hours to find out...

Just :negative: ugggggggh

I'm pretty sure it's as easy as clicking the lock in Users & Groups to unlock the settings, then right-clicking your name and changing the names in there.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm pretty sure it's as easy as clicking the lock in Users & Groups to unlock the settings, then right-clicking your name and changing the names in there.

Thats what i had already done, but my deadname is still in a few little random spots i cant seem to change
I guess i'll have to live with it for a few years til i need a new laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Thats what i had already done, but my deadname is still in a few little random spots i cant seem to change
I guess i'll have to live with it for a few years til i need a new laptop

You could always just boot into recovery mode, wipe Macintosh HD and do a clean install of macOS. Back up your important files in iCloud Drive or something beforehand.