Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Heffer posted:

Anybody played Rustic Waters yet? I've had the itch lately and that's the first pack I've seen lately that seems competent?

I played it up into the multiblock oil drilling thing where it needs to be near bedrock but actually like x units above it and it doesn't really tell you and you don't get all the blocks back when you tear it down. Hopefully there have been some documentation updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I played it up until the point where Rats pissed me off enough to ragequit and then I never had the interest to pick it back up again.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Black Pants posted:

I played it up until the point where Rats pissed me off enough to ragequit and then I never had the interest to pick it back up again.

I actually had a pretty good rat production chain going. They're finicky as gently caress and sometimes you need to boot them out of a smoke break (which would be a great bug-turned feature, tbh) by putting the item they were supposed to be delivering into their inventory to kickstart the chest->machine loop again.

The only problem I had with rats was I made a cool robot death rat to come with me on raids but the "don't drown" augment just straight up didn't work.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Matlock posted:

I actually had a pretty good rat production chain going. They're finicky as gently caress and sometimes you need to boot them out of a smoke break (which would be a great bug-turned feature, tbh) by putting the item they were supposed to be delivering into their inventory to kickstart the chest->machine loop again.

The only problem I had with rats was I made a cool robot death rat to come with me on raids but the "don't drown" augment just straight up didn't work.

I just had them keep getting stuck running around in circles which only stopped when I relogged - until it happened again. I've got no time for a golem system except that the golems have ocelot AI and also break easily.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Enzer posted:

Modders are just going to have to decide on a version to stick to for a while as Mojang has repeatedly stated since before 1.10's release that they are transitioning to smaller updates on shorter dev cycles. I forget the exact version number they gave, but they essentially said that if people wanted to wait to update for similar content equal to the 1.7 or 1.9 updates that they probably need to wait till 1.14/16 (as in going from 1.10 to that).

I mean, to go from 1.8 to 1.9 it took Mojang 545 days, they have to balance both types of players: those who mod and those who don't. 1.3 years (not even including bug patches after release) to wait for an update kind of sucks if you are not invested in mods, but they do understand that updating between versions sucks for modders (Mojang in the past few months has hired on additional developers to work on MC Java version and now three people of the team are involved in the modding community: Searge of MCP, RazzleberryFox of DecoCraft, ProfMobius of a ton of different mods and MCP as well, so they have plenty of people there with first hand experience of this issue).

That said, 1.9 to 1.10 and 1.10 to 1.11 both took roughly four months, so their estimate of 1.14-1.16 puts them, if they stay this course, at around 600 days, similar to what 1.8 to 1.9 took. So yeah, they are just going to have to buckle down until the actual modding community thinks that enough additional content has been added to justify moving on and personally while 1.11 adds some neat concepts, its not enough to justify updating my own projects to (unless updating is stupid easy like 1.8 to 1.10 was), this isn't a new situation and nobody should be surprised.

Here is the video they released for the patch as Mojang dislikes changelogs outside of pre-release patches. My guess is that they view this mostly as a game for children and kids don't want to read thirty pages of listed bug fixes. The video is pretty poo poo because it doesn't cover everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDOKrQBwLI

This post is both prescient and hilarious in retrospect.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'm still not convinced that 1.14+ modded multiplayer is a viable thing yet, which kills my interest. Our 1.15.1 server requires a beefier CPU than our FTB Revelations server. 1.15 with 150+ mods is going to require an expensive VPS or a rather beefy home build.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'm still not convinced that 1.14+ modded multiplayer is a viable thing yet, which kills my interest. Our 1.15.1 server requires a beefier CPU than our FTB Revelations server. 1.15 with 150+ mods is going to require an expensive VPS or a rather beefy home build.
More than that. Vanilla doesn't run well anymore in multiplayer period since 1.14. And it doesn't scale with more cores, so you can't really throw more money at it. I don't know if 1.15+ helped, but 1.14 in all iterations is a performance disaster.

A 5GHz or so intel CPU from the past 3-5 years or zen2 from AMD, nvme drive, RAM amount depending on your players, and that's all you can really do for a single server setup.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 13, 2020

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
1.15 was supposed to have some big optimisations, particularly around chunk loading. Not sure how much it actually helped.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

What made 1.14 performance so much worse?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Chunk loading is better in 1.15 but resource utilization is about the same as it was in 1.14. I’m not sure what caused the requirements to jump between versions, but I suspect the changes to the lighting engine have something to do with it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taffer posted:

What made 1.14 performance so much worse?
They changed a ton of chunk and entity related processing.

Allegedly some of it was to fix the dupe methods, but the end result is server performance sucks real bad.

1.15 improves some of the chunk related issues, but for the most part the problems are still there.

Modded really might stay on 1.12.2 for a much longer time due to this.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 15, 2020

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are mob/villager AI calculations still taking up way too much tick time?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I was trying to set up a server for my friend for MC Eternal but I'm not sure how to make the server use Biomes o Plenty for generation as the pack suggests. If I make it using the single player create new world GUI I get a bunch of errors and warnings when I put that world on my server.
Is there a way for the server to do it by default? It's in the server.properties under generator-settings and level-type settings.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Depends posted:

I was trying to set up a server for my friend for MC Eternal but I'm not sure how to make the server use Biomes o Plenty for generation as the pack suggests. If I make it using the single player create new world GUI I get a bunch of errors and warnings when I put that world on my server.
Is there a way for the server to do it by default? It's in the server.properties under generator-settings and level-type settings.
server.properties has a terrain generator line. set it to BIMESOP. It should be this:
code:
level-type=BIOMESOP
If you find a seed you like in single player you can set level-seed to it.

When you open the server it will generate a new world using the configured settings. You might need to delete the existing world if you tried to copy single player over.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 22, 2020

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Khorne posted:

server.properties has a terrain generator line. set it to BIMESOP. It should be this:
code:
level-type=BIOMESOP
If you find a seed you like in single player you can set level-seed to it.

When you open the server it will generate a new world using the configured settings. You might need to delete the existing world if you tried to copy single player over.

The level-type was right but it still wasn't working. I tried the settings in the generator-settings field and tried the world.json from the biomesoplenty wiki configuration page but it still wouldn't work. I assumed there was another mod stopping it from working or something. People were getting impatient for the server to be up so I ended up just using a single player created BoP world.
When I do that though I get a bunch of FML confirm/cancel prompts for missing blocks. Is that going to mess anything up?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Depends posted:

The level-type was right but it still wasn't working. I tried the settings in the generator-settings field and tried the world.json from the biomesoplenty wiki configuration page but it still wouldn't work. I assumed there was another mod stopping it from working or something. People were getting impatient for the server to be up so I ended up just using a single player created BoP world.
When I do that though I get a bunch of FML confirm/cancel prompts for missing blocks. Is that going to mess anything up?

That is starting to sound like the server doesn't have Biomes O Plenty on it somehow.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Black Pants posted:

That is starting to sound like the server doesn't have Biomes O Plenty on it somehow.

It appears to be there but I just grabbed his server pack from the page. It's set to default BIOMESOP level type from the start though so who knows. Either way, so far it's working with the transferred world folder despite the missing block warnings.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Looking at the ftb reddit and I've come to the conclusion I've been wasting resources making timers or clocks for pouring stuff out of the tinker's smeltery. Apparently you can just pour into a casting channel and have it loop and drain all of the metal into whatever cast you have. The setup is a having two drains with one above the other. You have a faucet on the top one and a channel on the bottom one. The top drain will pour into the channel, which pours back into the smeltery. With a lever you can toggle the channel to output to the bottom.

Obviously if you have the tinker's addon that adds the Smart Output than use that instead. Also you have to deal with the default, slow, pouring speed.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Any recommendations for decent hosts?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Maguoob posted:

Looking at the ftb reddit and I've come to the conclusion I've been wasting resources making timers or clocks for pouring stuff out of the tinker's smeltery. Apparently you can just pour into a casting channel and have it loop and drain all of the metal into whatever cast you have. The setup is a having two drains with one above the other. You have a faucet on the top one and a channel on the bottom one. The top drain will pour into the channel, which pours back into the smeltery. With a lever you can toggle the channel to output to the bottom.

you don't need a lever or anything, just rclick the bottom channel until it outputs to both bottom and side. if you have hoppers pulling the end products out of the casting basin, you can make an entire smelter's worth of stuff by clicking the faucet once.

https://imgur.com/r/feedthebeast/4Jbg2Vo

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Black Pants posted:

Sorry it's Regrowth I'm remaking when my ADHD allows for it, not Blightfall. I ain't that good.

Also, play Regrowth.

Please just please If you make something like Regrowth, the dumbest thing in that was the part (EARLY ON!) where you hit all the agricrops garbage for each resource.

It's not hard or an interesting challenge. It's just a waste of time since you do the same thing like 20 times to make sure you have passive income of resources for the rest of the pack.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I've got it. I'm going to make Regrowth, but I will remove the ability to AFK grind the stats up to 10/10/10 by making long snakes of crossed crop stakes. This will foster a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The whole point of Regrowth is the crops, but breeding them up is boring and tedious. A conundrum.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do quests that need the crop seeds and which reward 10/10/10 ones

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

Please just please If you make something like Regrowth, the dumbest thing in that was the part (EARLY ON!) where you hit all the agricrops garbage for each resource.

It's not hard or an interesting challenge. It's just a waste of time since you do the same thing like 20 times to make sure you have passive income of resources for the rest of the pack.

And what would have been an interesting challenge? Ex Nihilo? A free void ore miner? Maybe I could leave Agricraft out so you have to farm the base crops alone, that sounds far less tedious than 'cross crop a few times'.

Inexplicable Humblebrag's idea is fair though. But eesh, I never considered it that bad. I find agricraft breeding relaxing.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 1, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's alright if you've got other things to fiddle with while you're letting the next batch of crops grow to max. The draw to have the best though is strong and active measures to speed up growth through things like watering cans has definitely incentivized me to sit and watch grass grow a fair number of times.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Yeah, my tactic for early game was to rush as much as possible to iron to make the agricraft sprinklers, as well as have crops as plus-signs crammed in as closely as possible for maximum active crossbreeding whenever it rained (because the sprinklers didn't check biome for rain, the tank would just accumulate water if the world status was "is raining") and just work on building other stuff like walls and occasionally checking back in on the plants when it wasn't raining. And if I didn't have anything else to work on at the moment, go and just bucket a few buckets of water into the sprinkler tank to speed up the growth. This way I could get up to 10/10/10 as fast as I possibly could on any given crop, then use the clippers to clone my 10/10/10 plant into a bunch of 'em. Always pick up plants with the gardening trowel so they don't lose any growth progression when I pull it out to scan it in the analyzer.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
That's the thing. As it was implemented in regrowth (I'm trying to recall details 5 years later, please forgive), Solving the problem once isn't even satisfying because then you have to repeat for all the relevant resources.

And while restoring the world was the point, the crops weren't, this was an early game problem to solve to unlock the resources you'd need to *do stuff* with all the technologies/mods you'd thus be enabled by, etc, etc.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Project Ozone 3 Kappa mode has been released, so those that want to use terrible mods with even more annoying recipes now is your time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I might just be looking right past them, but are there any RF generation mods for 1.14 yet?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I might just be looking right past them, but are there any RF generation mods for 1.14 yet?

Do you mean mods whose main purpose is RF generation (e.g. extreme reactors or nuclear craft) or mods that just happen to contain ways to generate RF?

RFTools Power and Solar Flux Reborn appear to have 1.14 versions and there are obviously mods like industrial foregoing that have a simple way of generating RF.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maguoob posted:

Do you mean mods whose main purpose is RF generation (e.g. extreme reactors or nuclear craft) or mods that just happen to contain ways to generate RF?

RFTools Power and Solar Flux Reborn appear to have 1.14 versions and there are obviously mods like industrial foregoing that have a simple way of generating RF.

Preferably ones where the main point is generating RF, but I guess it wouldn't kill me to check out Industrial Forgoing. I'm trying to make a vanilla-esque pack for 14.4 for no real reason.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Preferably ones where the main point is generating RF, but I guess it wouldn't kill me to check out Industrial Forgoing. I'm trying to make a vanilla-esque pack for 14.4 for no real reason.

CurseForge is the page for generic 1.14 mods under Energy.

Powah!, Thermal Solars, or Solar Generation appear to be pretty simple for RF generation. You can always get weird with Energetic Sheep.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm hunting for a good set of early game multi block structures for a low-tech feel. I basically want vanilla with multiblocks and as little tech bloat as possible.

I've got Tinkers, Better With Mods for its mechanical energy water wheels and whatnot, and Magneticraft for some of its interfacing with that mechanical energy. The Immersive Engineering water/windmills also fit the feel of what I'm going for.

Anyone got any more things like this?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
has there been any word from talonos on his followup to blightfall

Unoriginal Name posted:

I'm hunting for a good set of early game multi block structures for a low-tech feel. I basically want vanilla with multiblocks and as little tech bloat as possible.

I've got Tinkers, Better With Mods for its mechanical energy water wheels and whatnot, and Magneticraft for some of its interfacing with that mechanical energy. The Immersive Engineering water/windmills also fit the feel of what I'm going for.

i think storage drawers isn't exactly multiblocks but walls of drawers with controllers have a similar feel, and if you're looking to avoid bloat you probably don't want too many more mods anyway

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unoriginal Name posted:

I was gonna say you might want to look at Industrial Renewal but it might be more real-tech than you're looking for. I think you've just about got what there is though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Speaking of low-tech mods, who remembers Terrafirmacraft? There's a branch still being updated, featuring new features like body heat, clothing, sewing, roofing, glassworking, kilns, straw weaving, musical instruments, and more.
My friend and I put out an old pack for TFC some time back, TNFC:EZ, and I'm currently testing the feasibility of sorta-porting it to this. Even if it doesn't pan out, I'm excited to play more TFC, especially since the 1.12.2 port seems to be... not going as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vib Rib posted:

Speaking of low-tech mods, who remembers Terrafirmacraft? There's a branch still being updated, featuring new features like body heat, clothing, sewing, roofing, glassworking, kilns, straw weaving, musical instruments, and more.
My friend and I put out an old pack for TFC some time back, TNFC:EZ, and I'm currently testing the feasibility of sorta-porting it to this. Even if it doesn't pan out, I'm excited to play more TFC, especially since the 1.12.2 port seems to be... not going as well.

oooOOoooooo, do tell more. I loved TFC, although I dropped it hard when my save got corrupted.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Captain Invictus posted:

oooOOoooooo, do tell more. I loved TFC, although I dropped it hard when my save got corrupted.
If you played the original TFC or TNFC or TNFC:EZ, this page will do a pretty good job of outlining the differences between the old and new versions: https://plus.terrafirmacraft.com/Differences_From_TFC
There's a lot of built in conveniences already, even early game stuff like being able to actually sleep in a hide bed, and the ability to make storage containers out of straw. Wood is a little easier to get with trees yielding more logs, and food spoilage is a little easier to manage with things like vessels and burlap sacks cutting decay down massively.

The new version of TFC has a lot of performance issues so the pack is being kept very light. The current plan for a TNFC:EZ revival (and again no guarantees) is to port over most of the mods of convenience, like the decorative blocks, drying mat, additional recipes, and so on, but drop most of the extraneous tech mods, like Forestry and IE. Railcraft will still be in to assist in certain quality of life upgrades, and the real big milestones that let you rise above the normal limitations of TFC.
You won't be able to cold-process colored steel from scratch anymore, but almost everything else will still have eventual shortcuts you can tech up into, like the coke oven, Better Storage, rolling machine sheets, and so on. So the pace will be slower, more in line with traditional TFC, but with all the new features of the new one.

Ultimately, it's as yet a matter of weighing options. Do the new features outweigh the drop in performance and the removal of some of the big mods? I want to play with it myself more before I come to any conclusions.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Oh nice. TFC+ actually exists. I remember a while back seeing that Dunk was starting it. Definitely going to check it out, I played a lot of TFC.