Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

sexpig by night posted:

Nah she keeps the focus on the campaign and all rather than the useless Clinton types who cried about it, it's a perfectly fine walk back that does nothing either way. The clinton types will be angry no matter what, everyone else will see the video more than the tweets, it doesn't mean too much.

That's fair. I was mostly just commenting on how apologetic it is. "You deserve better," etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Dang losing a 200k strong Union kinda sucks for bern

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gyges posted:

Iowa Caucus Demographics for the last 3 cycles.

2004 -124,000 caucus-goers
  • 17-29 -17%
  • 30-44 -15%
  • 45-64 -41%
  • 65+ -27%

2008 -239,872 caucus-goers
  • 17-29 -22%
  • 30-44 -18%
  • 45-64 -36%
  • 65+ -22%

2016 -171,517 caucus-goers
  • 17-29 -18%
  • 30-44 -19%
  • 45-64 -36%
  • 65+ -28%

I don't know why the 2008 and 2016 results are off by a couple points, but that's what I could find. If we can get turnout for the 44 and under crowd up near 40%, we could be looking at a real nice Monday night.

Are those numbers total or just the democratic caucuses?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

King of Solomon posted:

That's fair. I was mostly just commenting on how apologetic it is. "You deserve better," etc.

Yes, you deserve better. Not Clinton. She never apologizes to Clinton. She still says that Clintons remarks were disappointing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Yes, you deserve better. Not Clinton. She never apologizes to Clinton. She still says that Clintons remarks were disappointing.

Yeah it's not a bad "eh that was uncalled for" I guess. I just don't even see why it's neccesary

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Willa Rogers posted:

like, even Robert McNamara thought our involvement was a mistake.

He wrote that book in the mid-1990s.

These are the words of a man worried about how history will remember him.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SimonCat posted:

These are the words of a man worried about how history will remember him.

Actually McNamara has been quite honest and candid about almost everything he was ever involved in, including saying that when he was in charge of the Japanese firebombing campaigns that what he did was horrible and atrocities, and that he would effectively be a war criminal if he was not on the winning side

He's a terrible person but he has enough self awareness to feel guilty and even remorseful for what he's done, which makes him 90% better than almost every person in power in this country right now

That's something I guess? :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah it's not a bad "eh that was uncalled for" I guess. I just don't even see why it's neccesary

yea she shouldn't have to say anything but if she's gonna do it at least she focuses on the movement and the supporters and not 'I maybe hurt the wealthy loser who keeps attacking us's feelings'

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

McNamara also helped developed modern seat belt practices so it's safe to say he's both killed and saved the most people in human history.

Fog of war is fantastic and you should watch it if you haven't.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

kidkissinger posted:

It's pretty hosed that Clinton is making GBS threads over the likely nominee like this. Doesn't she worry it will hurt him against Trump?

A person less selfish and entitled than her might worry, but not her.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

McNamara also helped developed modern seat belt practices so it's safe to say he's both killed and saved the most people in human history.

Fog of war is fantastic and you should watch it if you haven't.

That's the documentary I was talking about! Fantastic one

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
He's also the guy who decided low IQ people were expendable.

https://youtu.be/_J2VwFDV4-g

He does not mention this program in Fog of War.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Actually McNamara has been quite honest and candid about almost everything he was ever involved in, including saying that when he was in charge of the Japanese firebombing campaigns that what he did was horrible and atrocities, and that he would effectively be a war criminal if he was not on the winning side

It's incredible how effectively Americans have been propagandized about this.

There have been a few threads about the Pacific Theater in D&D over the years, and Robert McNamara is firmly to the left of most D&D posters because the consensus in those threads was always "yeah burn those kids to death, they had it coming you stupid hippies"

But maybe that's changed since the Hillary toxx thread got rid of some real psychos bc this subforum used to be pro-drone-strikes too and now it isn't.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

kidkissinger posted:

It's pretty hosed that Clinton is making GBS threads over the likely nominee like this. Doesn't she worry it will hurt him against Trump?

If you loving hate Sanders for "destroying your legacy" and support the status quo (which Trump is far more likely to support) it makes perfect sense

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1223625781248692225?s=19

A correct thread

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Yeah this is a great point too

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1223627314619211776?s=20

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Vote for women poc!! Then, tell them they're misbehaving and need to get back in line when they question Mother

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also, Cool Nerd Nathan (not Bad Nerd Nate) has an important warning thread

https://twitter.com/NathanJRobinson/status/1223631372868296704?s=19

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/ComradeStars/status/1223606236039520256?s=20

There's a whole lot to unpack here

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Gatts posted:

Pretty much here too. I’ll pay more in taxes but I actually want a functioning country and society I live in that does better for all its people and the world. The system as it is needs to be broken and replaced.

I am a teacher who has very good healthcare.

Not me. Us.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 1, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

No it's just what politics is. Everything is so naked and open now

Buttigieg is a rat faced company man that could feed a kitten into a wood chipper without his heart rate moving if it meant he'd be president. But because he's polite, he's a good boy following the rules.

These people find swears and loud voices more offensive than, say, wanting to set people on fire from a satellite. they really do think being publicly uncouth is the worst thing you can do, with some exceptions (see: Mothers criticisms of Bernie)

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Yeah there's literally no contradiction too absurd for HillBots. For all the poo poo they sling about Bernie being a Trump-like figure, Hillary sure has her own dedicated cult of personality and there's literally no rules around what they might say or how little sense it makes. Rashida booed the COMMENTS. I watched the video. She didn't say "gently caress Hillary." She said "No, I boo" when the comments came up, that "Nobody Likes Bernie." I'm going to reject that bullshit framing every time it comes up, and good for Mehdi for rejecting it also.

Really says a lot about where Bernie is right now that he's THIS firmly in the gunsights of the party elite.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1223629013899497473?s=20

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

+12?!? :eyepop:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Failed Imagineer posted:

Warren is effectively still in this to prevent a Bernie nomination.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

They had Bernie at 5% in their previous poll?!?!?!?!?!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Every number is positive though, so who lost support for Bernie to gain 12 points? Was Kamala really popular there or something?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Nix Panicus posted:

Every number is positive though, so who lost support for Bernie to gain 12 points? Was Kamala really popular there or something?

Undecided.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Remember when people would have a meltdown in USPOL when you rightly called Clinton a worthless piece of poo poo.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

That Tlaib thing sucks. Won't make a dent but it certainly won't help, and getting cocky while talking about shutting up haters is extremely annoying.

Dude, you suck. Change your name and your avatar.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Civilized Fishbot posted:

You mean Tlaib, speeches stick to your rib?

I mean-

That's my favorite tweet-vid that I play in my crib

I mean-

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is why I'm bracing for a disappointing surprise in Iowa. We needed to shut out Warren and we didn't seem to get there in time so now we just really really have to hope she underperforms polling.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SeANMcBAY posted:

Her tweet about how Tlaib's statement was actually "white male rage" was even better.

https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1223463584694439936?s=21
This person is highly influential in the Democratic Party.:lol:

love that jf changed his username

PepsiOverCoke
Dec 2, 2019

by Reene
My prediction for Iowa:

1. Buttigieg
2. Sanders

Those two can go either way.

3. Biden
4. Warren

Same for these two.

5. Yang
6. Steyer
7. Bloomberg

These 3 will be largely unviable and limp into New Hampshire.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I would be devastated if the butt took iowa or new hampshire. Is he really doing that well? I want him to lose almost as badly as I want bernie to win.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

JosephWongKS posted:

Lmao at this handwringing :decorum: bullshit.

Trump insulted "war hero" McCain and a Gold Star family, and that only made him more popular with the Republican voters.

So long as you don't back down and stick to your guns, you can get away with saying pretty much anything you want. Especially when you are speaking is the truth, like Bernie is about the Vietnam war.
The Democratic base is not the Republican base.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol nice

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

quote:

The issue of Biden’s electability was the driving force behind the decision and a key concern of the union’s membership, which was randomly surveyed by phone in an “extensive poll” conducted by a professional pollster ATU hired, Costa said.

“The numbers came back very strong for Joe,” Costa said, declining to discuss details of the “internal” survey. “Not only did people support him, but we asked who would be best to beat Trump, and he was overwhelmingly seen as the best to do it.“

Kind of sounds like the WFP all over again. "We randomly conducted a secret poll and... hmm, the numbers? Don't worry about it."

And I vaguely recall Biden holding a big union rally several months back (feels like years ago) and the only people who showed up were presidents and other top brass. The membership knows who their candidate is.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Ideal order in Iowa is:

1. Bernie
2. Butt
3. Biden
4. Klob
5. Warren

Probably won't get that, but Warren out first is good and Butt taking votes from Biden is good, since he's hosed in the south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I would be devastated if the butt took iowa or new hampshire. Is he really doing that well? I want him to lose almost as badly as I want bernie to win.

If he took Iowa he'd be the first to win it and not the nomination since 1992.