Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

mandatory lesbian posted:

I uh, have an electric kettle, I don't know why you think we don't.

idk somebody told me once and i didn't believe them so i googled it and apparently it's true? see look at this:

evilweasel posted:

who the gently caress needs an electric kettle have you ever heard of this newfangled thing called the microwave

who the gently caress microwaves water, what is wrong with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wafflecopper posted:

who the gently caress microwaves water, what is wrong with you

someone who wants hot water and is aware that a microwave works by heating water?

microwaves are garbage at a lot of cooking things but “making water hot” is basically their ideal use case

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A microwave oven is actually pretty mediocre at boiling a container of water.

As one example of how it sucks, you can only tell a microwave to heat the water for a specific amount of time (which you need to guess based on the microwave power, initial water temperature, and how much water you're heating). An electric kettle, you just turn it on, it'll heat the water to boiling, and then stop rather than boiling it all away.

Not to mention how much less energy-efficient the microwave is overall.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Here’s an article by the Smithsonian about how microwaving your water doesn’t make good tea

This is one of those things that always seemed very obvious to me but I absolutely DEVASTATED a friend of mine with this once, she was like “I’ve literally been making tea wrong for like 7 years” but now she’s actually drinking tea instead of Hot Leaf Water.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Electric kettles are the rice cookers of water. If someone really cares about their hot water, they use one.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I make microwave hot leaf water almost every morning. Sell me an under $30 electric tea kettle in this Magic thread. Maybe the Amazon Basics one? I'm sure it does the job.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Feels like a lot of food places in the states use microwaved water when you ask for tea. Also funny that you almost always have to specify "hot" tea. Default tea is iced.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

LifeLynx posted:

I make microwave hot leaf water almost every morning. Sell me an under $30 electric tea kettle in this Magic thread. Maybe the Amazon Basics one? I'm sure it does the job.

They're all about the same, just make sure you get one without plastic parts touching the water and with an automatic turn off feature.

Also be aware that you do have to clean them periodically - I've seen some grody kettles in my day because people assume they are self cleaning somehow.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

There's a (drat good) PT going on and people are talking about loving kettles

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ShaneB posted:

No one cares about organized play anymore.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ShaneB posted:

A PT with GP production values. More of a problem now that idk a lot of the cards.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm interested in where Pioneer landed a few months after its introduction.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

ShaneB posted:

hot leaf water chat is honestly more interesting

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

Pioneer rules

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

hah, finally a use for inverter of truth

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bust Rodd posted:

One thing I like trying to explain to people is that microwaving tea doesn’t actually make tea, it makes hot leaf water
okay uncle iroh

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

AlternateNu posted:

lets talk about organizing play :bernin:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I need to boil water I just put it in a pot and heat it on the stove covered. I don't have a kettle or a microwave

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Clowner posted:

When I need to boil water I just put it in a pot and heat it on the stove covered. I don't have a kettle or a microwave

That's fine. A kettle's just much more convenient.

And civilized.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Anyone know where I can get a German box of Theros: Jenseits des Todes without spending an extra $80USD on shipping? >_>
I'm willing to do $120, but not $180.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

The idea that microwaving water will lead to isolated pockets of hot and cold water instead of, you know, immediately mixing together due to convection is hilarious. Who actually believes that?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did anyone say that?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The article that Rust Bodd linked to said that.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yawgmoth posted:

The article that Rust Bodd linked to said that.

Lol stub rodd

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Rustin' Bodds and Castin' Gods

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
You can heat up water for green or white tea in the microwave fine, it's only black tea and some oolongs that really suffer from microwave water. That said I love my electric tea kettle.
MTG chat: went 4-1 and got second place in a legacy FNM last night. Felt like I played well and got really lucky with matchups but infect seems well positioned right now. Didn't play against that new underworld breach deck though.
Edit: why is breach only $3 right now? It seems good in multiple formats.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Omen of the Sea shows up in pioneer

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Are empty booster boxes worth anything? Been cleaning my parents home and found some old boxes of Tempest, Chronicles, Visions, Alliances and Legends. They are in really good shape once I took the old cards out.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Are empty booster boxes worth anything? Been cleaning my parents home and found some old boxes of Tempest, Chronicles, Visions, Alliances and Legends. They are in really good shape once I took the old cards out.

anyone paying you money for this will use it to scam people

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ShaneB posted:

Pioneer rules

This doesn't bode well for your podcast.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Your LGS might use them as decoration?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

pioneer is good & fun

if only wotc recognized this and actually put some effort into presenting their flagship tournament series

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

The idea that microwaving water will lead to isolated pockets of hot and cold water instead of, you know, immediately mixing together due to convection is hilarious. Who actually believes that?

on the other hand, dont microwave water in order to boil it because superheated water sucks, yo

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sampatrick posted:

on the other hand, dont microwave water in order to boil it because superheated water sucks, yo
Just put a chopstick in your water or use literally any vessel with a matte finish and you will never have the superheated water problem.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or just spend $14 at Target/Wal*Mart/Amazon and effortlessly boil water quickly and cleanly for 1/4 of the electrical waste, forever and ever and ever.

I tuned into some Modern content and loving Saffron Olive is like “UGH Breach/Oracle is TOO GOOD and BORING for Modern” like how the gently caress does this guy consistently have the worst takes?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Microwaved tea is worse but lmao tea, by definition, is hot leaf water. Kettle tea is just better hot leaf water

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

pt top 8

Bant Spirits
Mono-Red
Dimir Inverter
Lotus Breach
Mono-Black
Bant Spirits
Niv to Light
Sultai Delirium

(pioneer)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

evilweasel posted:

someone who wants hot water and is aware that a microwave works by heating water?

microwaves are garbage at a lot of cooking things but “making water hot” is basically their ideal use case

I mean sure it works but so does making toast in an oven instead of a toaster

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If you’ve weighed in on either side of this water boiling debate you’re a perverted freak.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ilmucche posted:

This doesn't bode well for your podcast.

We've been modern and pioneer focused since the format dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

pt top 8

Bant Spirits
Mono-Red
Dimir Inverter
Lotus Breach
Mono-Black
Bant Spirits
Niv to Light
Sultai Delirium

(pioneer)

Double bant spirits? As I live and breathe!