Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Don't worry, everyone having issues with space will just redownload the game at the end of the month and not be able to play for 2 weeks because ZOS inevitably scuffed the patching overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pivo posted:

SSD controllers don’t know what a file is.

I can post a youtube video of it if you don't believe me.

Here's a loving discussion link about the exact same thing on my exact drive, down to the size:

Storage size on Extreme Portable SSD unusually large. 25 times larger than total file sizes

user 1 posted:

Thanks for the rapid reply.  I'm not doing anything special just using Windows Explorer to copy the files. Same way with the new Portable SSD and the other media was a Sandisk 128GB micro SD card that was partitioned into 2 - 64GB partitions.  I have also copied these files to a Sandisk UltraFit 64GB flash drive.  Both the microSD and the UltraFit media had similar difference between the file size and the size on disk.  The files were not compressed on the HDD. The difference between sizes on the HDD is very small, only about .5GB. There are 1000's of files in the 10KB-40KB range. The HDD is formatted to NTFS and the SSD and microSD are both exFAT. I wonder if that could be causing problems?  Double checked again and files on HDD are not compressed. I just deleted all of the files that I copied originally and re-copied just one folder with about 8100 files and the stored size was 10 times the file size reported.

user 2 posted:

Copied files to it from my local HDD.  One folder with 591 subfolders and 247,252 files that has a total file size of 9.12 GB is occupying 243 GB (yes, about 25 times bigger) on the SSD.  I have copied these same files to other flash drives, that were also formated to exFAT.

user 3 posted:

I am having a similar issue as OP. Using Mac OS, copied 54GB iphoto photoibrary from external HD and final result is over 300GB on extreme portable SSD. "Get Info" on folder is endless cycle of "calculating size" but DaisyDisk quickly reveals ultimate size. 54GB iphoto photolibrary is same size on multiple other external harddrives.

Turns out I'm not making poo poo up. Wild I know.

The linux kernel source along with cygwin library headers is particularly egregious here, it takes up like 40GB, even though it's far far less. It's connected via USB 3.1 FWIW, I only have a single SSD controller on the motherboard which is taken up already.

Also I write linux kernel drivers and embedded firmware for a living, I'm at least vaguely aware of how they work. Dunno if it's to do with write levelling or sector sizes or whatever else.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 1, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That’s the file system block size not the SSD controller. The SSD controller knows nothing of file systems. Link to your kernel commits?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Private Speech posted:

I only have a single SSD controller on the motherboard which is taken up already.

Unless you have a MacBook or Mac Pro with the T2 chip your SSD controller is not on your motherboard.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Nerd fight

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Pivo posted:

Unless you have a MacBook or Mac Pro with the T2 chip your SSD controller is not on your motherboard.

I have a Surface Pro i7 2017.

And yes it is, I think anyway. Some of it is definitely BGA soldered but I think the controller is integrated. Or perhaps not?

The orange bit is the SSD chip that's soldered on, may or may not include a controller. I'm going to say that it might and you are right, but I don't know. I haven't actually looked at the hardware of it in depth. Either way definitely can't just plug another SSD in. see edit

Of course one can ask if BGA soldered means that the chip is integrated or not, but, even as per my edit below, in this case the controller is not on the soldered-on SSD chips.

Not going to link my commits because I try to keep my personal life at least somewhat separate, but I posted about things I worked on on the forums before.

I do get that the file system is separate, I genuinely do. Yet still the behaviour described persist. Read the discussion yourself. I do quite literally have the Sandisk Portable SSD Extreme 480GB USBC comes with builtin conversion to 3.1 (which I plug into the surface dock).

It might be because the drive is a USB one and it tries to do something clever?

e: gently caress IT I THINK I'M RIGHT ABOUT THE CONTROLLER, 2 SSD chips but controller on the mobo:

quote:

The 2017 Surface Pro soldered the two chips to the board to the PCI bus, so they are not real SSDs. The Pro4 has an NVME SSD in the sense that there is a controller between the two chips, which connects to the PCIe bus.

Sorry for the derail but I think it's quite fun. MMO HMO is full of derails anyway.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 1, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Okay fine, the fact the controller on the Surface is on the main board for size reasons is like, touché. It still connects by PCIe like an AIB would, but can’t really argue.

Regardless the block size of the file system is most likely the issue. Controller don’t care. Did you try reformatting the drive with a more typical block size?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pivo posted:

Regardless the block size of the file system is most likely the issue. Controller don’t care. Did you try reformatting the drive with a more typical block size?

It won't let me actually, at least not from Windows. Which is why I thought it's trying to do something clever. It will but not from the default windows partition tool.

Either way yeah it's something of an edge condition, though the block size issue might be present with more drives, whether they can be changed to be more sane easily or not.

e: Funnily enough the external drive is actually faster than the internal SSD, possibly not latency wise but even doing very short random reads and writes, which is part of why I use it for games (the other reason is that I don't fancy sourcing and resoldering a specific BGA chip to replace the internal drive, so I try to wear it out less, and I change games fairly often).

e2: Measured speed using SSD-Z, internal drive has 4 times lower latency but lower 4k random r/w and sequential performance.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 1, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I'm going to admit I'm not really an expert on SSD controllers (the closest I came was implementing the MMC MMCA consortium specification once) so you're right, it's an issue with the block size, though practically speaking the effect is there, from a user perspective, at least for someone who's not going to do any reformatting themselves, which I'd wager is the majority.

e: Also I'm mildly dyslectic, hence at least in part the edits, sorry for that. I always end up writing more when I'm already fixing whatever it is I am fixing in the first place.

e2: Either way the game is big and depending on your setup might take up a fair chunk of your SSD and/or not fit on there, to get back to the original problem.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 1, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I purchased a 1tb ssd just because of this game.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So I just got an email that I have apparently just redeemed a code for a pet which was handed out at some ESO stream. I haven’t touched the game in weeks and haven’t ever watched a single stream. Did they give this to everyone or something?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Comrade Koba posted:

So I just got an email that I have apparently just redeemed a code for a pet which was handed out at some ESO stream. I haven’t touched the game in weeks and haven’t ever watched a single stream. Did they give this to everyone or something?

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/508414/long-winged-bat-pet

quote:

We're giving all ESO players the Long-Winged Bat pet. To qualify, simply log into the game and kill any enemy monster any time between January 16, 2020 at 12:00 AM EST and January 22, 2020 at 11:59 PM EST.
As long as you qualify, you’ll receive your Long-Winged Bat pet by the first week of February. It’ll be added to your Collections automatically.

Congrats on your enemy monster kill

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I tried some of that PvP yesterday. The one where you run around a giant map with a bunch of other people. I didn't really know which map to pick, so I chose "Standard". There's also "under level 50" and some other options. I'm level 19 currently. Which one is best?

Overall the experience was pretty weird. Once I died and was caught on the loading screen for 10 min, I just alt+f4'd. On reconnecting I was somehow stuck underneath the map. I could see people run above me, very strange. I dc'd a minute later. BUT I gained 3 levels of that alliance skill line, so yay.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

There was a guy at the gym last night spitting image of Gilfoyle with long hair doing BIG weights in a black muscle tee said "DRINK SKOOMA AND HAIL SITHIS".

Probability of goon is high.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Did some more of that PvP. It's basically a copypasta of guild wars WvW, or whoever came first. Even got the siege weapons. I'm guessing that scroll gives a faction buff, haven't looked into it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's Dark Age of Camelot's Realm v Realm

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
If someone could invite @Verilyforsooth that would be great.

Warden didn't really click with me so I started a dark elf Templar (basically recreating my first Morrowind character) and am having a blast. I love the holy-themed spell effects, and starting out in a snowy area is rad.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

mike12345 posted:

Did some more of that PvP. It's basically a copypasta of guild wars WvW, or whoever came first. Even got the siege weapons. I'm guessing that scroll gives a faction buff, haven't looked into it.

Yeah, both are copies of DAoC. I want to say ESO actually had devs from DAoC, though, so it makes sense.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mike12345 posted:

Did some more of that PvP. It's basically a copypasta of guild wars WvW, or whoever came first. Even got the siege weapons.

Is it fun? I never played daoc or guild wars

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I loved DAoC, it was really fun

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

LastGoodBoy posted:

Yeah, both are copies of DAoC. I want to say ESO actually had devs from DAoC, though, so it makes sense.

A lot of Mythic became ZOS, including Firor.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Snowy posted:

Is it fun? I never played daoc or guild wars

Like in Guild Wars, you run around in a zerg and try to capture objectives. Every once in a while you meet another zerg and duke it out. "Fun" really depends if you like hivemind action that's decided by numbers. I think it's chill, can listen to a podcast and not pay a lot of attention.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Are there any goon (or just good) guilds on PS4 North America?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mike12345 posted:

I think it's chill, can listen to a podcast and not pay a lot of attention.

That’s about the best recommendation you could have given me, sounds perfect

:thanks:

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
What site is the best for getting a quick tactics rundown for all the Dungeons? I know there's that Mechanics mod but I'd rather have the guide open on my Chromebook while I play.

edit - while I'm at it, if I can beg some more of your indulgence...what are the most essential mods you guys run with?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yoshimo posted:

What site is the best for getting a quick tactics rundown for all the Dungeons? I know there's that Mechanics mod but I'd rather have the guide open on my Chromebook while I play.

edit - while I'm at it, if I can beg some more of your indulgence...what are the most essential mods you guys run with?

Download Minion and sort by most liked or most downloaded. That'll get alot of what you need.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yoshimo posted:

Probably AlcastHQ for dungeon guides. Basically if you're looking for information just go to AlcastHQ and you'll probably find it (except pvp builds, don't ever run fengfuck pvp builds).

As far as mods go, check the discord and pinned messages.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

I bought this game when it came out, so I have a physical/standalone copy, base game only - but just started playing again. What's the recommended way of getting back in the saddle? My max level char is 17, so I'm guessing buying the new expansion (or even subscribing to get the other expansions) isn't necessary at this point - or are there benefits to doing that? Currently I'm just doing whatever quests I run into, with no overarching plan - is this like FF XIV where you should concentrate on some main story first and foremost, anything else is "wasted time" from a progress perspective, except for lore reasons?

dorkanoid fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 17, 2020

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ESO Plus is $15 a month, but it lets you play all the DLC and you get a bunch of crowns.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
Since you bought the game when it was new, I'm going to assume you already escaped from Coldharbour and met The Prophet. This stuff is the Main Quest in the game. Doing each quest from there awards an additional skill point, plus eventually unlocking the Coldharbour zone. In addition to that, each zone has it's own Story Quest, which has a diamond-shaped icon above the quest giver.

Subscribing to the game not only gives you what Anarcho-Commissar mentioned, but you get the all-important Crafting Bag, which is a non-inventory using tab that will store all the crafting items that you can find. Since this stuff will normally take up inventory space, subbing frees that up so you can easily break-down, research, and craft without worrying about inventory space. Well, worry less, at least. :)

The current base game includes all the content from launch, plus the Morrowind expansion, but I'm not sure if your version will include that, nor if you have access to it with ESO Plus. Summerset expansion will be available with a subscription, and once Greymoor comes out in May, the Elsweyr chapter will become part of DLC, and thus playable with a sub.

Edit: In the off-chance you've never done The Prophet related content, visit one of the major cities and a "Hooded Figure" will approach you with a mission to visit The Benefactor. That'll start up the Main Quest.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Burnt Poffin posted:

Since you bought the game when it was new, I'm going to assume you already escaped from Coldharbour and met The Prophet. This stuff is the Main Quest in the game. Doing each quest from there awards an additional skill point, plus eventually unlocking the Coldharbour zone. In addition to that, each zone has it's own Story Quest, which has a diamond-shaped icon above the quest giver.

Subscribing to the game not only gives you what Anarcho-Commissar mentioned, but you get the all-important Crafting Bag, which is a non-inventory using tab that will store all the crafting items that you can find. Since this stuff will normally take up inventory space, subbing frees that up so you can easily break-down, research, and craft without worrying about inventory space. Well, worry less, at least. :)

The current base game includes all the content from launch, plus the Morrowind expansion, but I'm not sure if your version will include that, nor if you have access to it with ESO Plus. Summerset expansion will be available with a subscription, and once Greymoor comes out in May, the Elsweyr chapter will become part of DLC, and thus playable with a sub.

Edit: In the off-chance you've never done The Prophet related content, visit one of the major cities and a "Hooded Figure" will approach you with a mission to visit The Benefactor. That'll start up the Main Quest.

I'm at "The Harborage" part of the main quest, apparently! I've gotten sidetracked since I restarted, and I have no clue whether my spec makes sense, but I guess it's unimportant at this level (is there a way to respec in game?)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

dorkanoid posted:

I'm at "The Harborage" part of the main quest, apparently! I've gotten sidetracked since I restarted, and I have no clue whether my spec makes sense, but I guess it's unimportant at this level (is there a way to respec in game?)

You can respec for a relatively minor amount of gold in the cathedral of the second major city of your alliance. Before cp160 your best way of making gold is probably just selling some of the crowns you have, they go for >200 gold per crown.

That said you don't really need respeccing or gold much before that, and you get a free (character-bound) respec scroll close to level 50. Just get some more skill points instead.

If the goon guild doesn't work out (I've heard that the EU one is dead) come join Sweetroll Crusaders, we're very helpful to new players and big enough to have something for every part of the game while not being serious about things. You can be in up to 5 guilds so you might want to join it anyway. Also join BeamMeUp and get their addon to get free teleports.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

There's no real wrong way to play the game, in terms of what quests to do. There's technically a loose order of events in the major storylines, but they put a lot of effort into making it work if you just do whatever the gently caress you feel like. As long as you're having fun, just keep doin' what you're doin'.

I will repeat the advice I have often given for new-ish players, especially if you love making alts:

* Get the "Dolgubons Lazy Writ Creator" add-on, don't sleep on this, you will feel like an idiot later
* Do all your crafting certifications as soon as possible on each character
* Do the crafting dailies early and often, good source of pocket money
* Do your riding training on every character every day; crafting dailies can easily pay the fees

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Nerd Of Prey posted:

* Get the "Dolgubons Lazy Writ Creator" add-on, don't sleep on this, you will feel like an idiot later

Do not do this. As someone who did this poo poo across 9 characters daily for years I can tell you it is a 100% surefire way to hate yourself and the game. When you're starting out do whatever you feel might be fun, then once you're interested in what passes for endgame activities you can start asking questions either here or in the discord.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Someone in my trading guild casually mentioned doing daily writs across 18 characters. :suicide:

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

SplitSoul posted:

Someone in my trading guild casually mentioned doing daily writs across 18 characters. :suicide:

I do this everyday and kind of hate myself for it but the cash is stupid good. I also sat on my survey maps for a few weeks and ended up doing over 300+ in one weekend.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

ive written this out a hundred times but am too stupid to have saved it but if youre worried about story order its basically like

do your primary faction questline /main quest line

do vvardenfall

do clockwork city

do summerset

do elseweyr

i havent done anything after elsweyr but im guessing do all that last

thieves guild/dark brotherhood/other dlc do whenever really, orsinium if you have it do it after main questline (its still only like a 30 second scene if you dont nothing changes), anything else doesn't really matter

doing the other factions quests introduces you to more characters but you dont really lose much skipping them

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 16, 2020

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Scyantific posted:

Do not do this. As someone who did this poo poo across 9 characters daily for years I can tell you it is a 100% surefire way to hate yourself and the game. When you're starting out do whatever you feel might be fun, then once you're interested in what passes for endgame activities you can start asking questions either here or in the discord.

Man, I'm not advising doing the dailies every day on every character, I'm advising having the OPTION on every character for when they need a quick buck. If you're just trying to get their riding skill up, you only need to hit the quests like once every couple weeks. And with the add-on it takes about two minutes.

If you're grinding insanely at any given thing, yeah, it can stop being fun.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

There's no real wrong way to play the game, in terms of what quests to do. There's technically a loose order of events in the major storylines, but they put a lot of effort into making it work if you just do whatever the gently caress you feel like. As long as you're having fun, just keep doin' what you're doin'.

I will repeat the advice I have often given for new-ish players, especially if you love making alts:

* Do your riding training on every character every day; crafting dailies can easily pay the fees

I'd completely missed the riding training :D

I usually don't even attempt crafting when starting playing an "established" MMO, since most items typically can be bought for cheap - there's an actual reason to do crafting in this game outside making simple levelling gear?

Private Speech posted:

You can respec for a relatively minor amount of gold in the cathedral of the second major city of your alliance. Before cp160 your best way of making gold is probably just selling some of the crowns you have, they go for >200 gold per crown.

That said you don't really need respeccing or gold much before that, and you get a free (character-bound) respec scroll close to level 50. Just get some more skill points instead.

If the goon guild doesn't work out (I've heard that the EU one is dead) come join Sweetroll Crusaders, we're very helpful to new players and big enough to have something for every part of the game while not being serious about things. You can be in up to 5 guilds so you might want to join it anyway. Also join BeamMeUp and get their addon to get free teleports.

I'd like to join Sweetroll Crusaders, how do I go about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Most of my crafting stuff I do just so I can improve items.

Character-build-wise, I'm probably not really great (also haven't done any dungeons :/ ) but it doesn't seem to matter much in the single player experience, and I did okay in my first battleground.