Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait, Terunofuji came THAT close to being eligible for Yokozuna?

Not really, not his second consecutive Yusho, just his second one total. Even if he had won, I doubt his 12-3 in the following tournament would have been enough given that Hakuho was back and won it with 15-0, and there were already 4 Yokozuna at the time.

Obviously I am not a group of tobacco executives or whatever so maybe I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brut posted:

Obviously I am not a group of tobacco executives or whatever so maybe I'm wrong.

Probably too long and too soon for a new thread title.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Gotta win two in a row as Ozeki unless you're Japanese. Dem's da rules.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If that's a subtle knock at Kise it's totally unfair, he completely earned his rope. His injury was such a tragedy it overshadowed what a dominant and consistent wrestler he was.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Kenning posted:

If that's a subtle knock at Kise it's totally unfair, he completely earned his rope. His injury was such a tragedy it overshadowed what a dominant and consistent wrestler he was.

I think Kisenosato deserved the promotion, but I sincerely doubt any Mongolian or Eastern European rikishi would ever get the same leeway. Sorta moot, tho, since Kise did win two in a row as Ozeki or higher, at great sacrifice at that.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxCSCNp1qKU&t=240s

Oh hey new folks especially those coming from the MMA threads would probably appreciate seeing this, happens from time to time.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

I think Kisenosato deserved the promotion, but I sincerely doubt any Mongolian or Eastern European rikishi would ever get the same leeway. Sorta moot, tho, since Kise did win two in a row as Ozeki or higher, at great sacrifice at that.

I dunno man, I know the meme is that Japanese wrestlers get an easier go, but Takakeisho had to really work for his ozeki promotion, taking essentially an extra basho to prove himself. Asanoyama also specifically got told he wasn't on a run yet after Aki, even though he could have been. I don't think it's as cut and dried as people make it out to be.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1223562720072667139

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's both hilarious and depressing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Complex fracture of the femur doesn't stop the brave rikishi Toyomoshina from approaching the dohyu. What a warrior.

After 3 fights the complex fracture is now more exposed bone than skin and he is more tape than man.

Toyomoshina has died in the dohyu after easily losing his third fight to a guy whose ceiling is this unpaid division. He was in contention for the fighting spirit prize but lost it on the last day of the basho when a guy did a cool throw.

When asked if the pressure to fight through injury contributed to the rikishi's earlier than usual demise, the NSK presented a death certificate officially recording his cause of death to be 'an excess of warrior spirit'. After much debate they decided that they will not reimburse the small child because a 0-7 performance is clearly a magekoshi and the child should be smarter where she places her money.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dude stuck it out in makushita to get back to the paid ranks after injury at 33 - most probably would have retired. Not my favorite on the dohyo, but seemed a pretty funny guy off it.

Reminded me of these pics of guys with their hair down:

Toyo and Shodai

Yoshikaze

Sokokurai

I love how they look like fat metal fans.

And Chiyomaru sleeping tax from Toyo's Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0fJHoUAxaN/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

Here you go: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/11/23/sumo/terunofuji-endures-tough-times-get-back-track

This was before he kicked rear end in the last tournament to find himself right on the cusp of the top division.

Personally, I like Ura’s http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=12226 story. A smaller guy who was a fun to watch underdog, he had clawed his way up the ranks higher than most people thought he would due to his size, but wound up with a brutal knee injury just as he was hitting the point where he would get to prove himself against the real contenders in September 2017 that kept him out for a full year. He came back, seemingly on his way back up going 13-1 in his first 2 tournaments back, but in January 2019, suffered another big injury knocking him back to basically rookie level. Came back in November, and like last time, he’s gone 13-1 again over 2 tournaments.

His story is much more of an in progress story as he didn’t get a chance to reach his potential the first time around so it might wind up that he turns out to be a “what might have been” guy than a redemption story, but you can get in closer to the ground floor.

113kg and he reached M4 and recorded a kinboshi? Incredible. I hope he can make it back to the top.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fisting by many posted:

113kg and he reached M4 and recorded a kinboshi? Incredible. I hope he can make it back to the top.

Enho about to break some records I see. Prediction: Enho goes 7/8, but beats kakuryu.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Salaryman Goeido:

Nice "G" on the belt.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

now he is free, to cosplay!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

Salaryman Goeido:

Nice "G" on the belt.

Looks fly as hell tbh.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Anyone know if the usual suspects will be streaming the Fuji TV Grand Sumo Tournament?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I meant to say that before his injuries and freefall Terunofuji shot up the ranks, kicked rear end, took names and peaked with 2 Top 4 finishes in a row as Ozeki. I knew those weren't going to qualify him for Yokozuna but just from looking at the numbers it seemed like he had a shot at it in the future. Then injury riddled freefall. And then what happens once he gets healthy? Blows his way through the amateur ranks and gets the Yusho on his first Basho as a salaried performer again. You talked a lot about how miraculous it was that somebody with Terunofuji's rank could get the Y but just looking at the numbers I think the real issue is it's stupid he got busted down that far in the first place.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Not as dramatic as Terunofuji, but Myogiryu has a good comeback story. He was a college champion who started his pro career in Makushita. He had four straight winning records, and was considered an extremely promising young talent. In literally his second ever Juryo bout (he won the first) Gagamaru fell on his knee and exploded it, and he had to sit out for the next eight months. He came back at the bottom of Sandanme, was back in Juryo within a year, and made sekiwake for the first time a year after that.

There's also the final coda to the match-fixing scandal a decade ago, the epic encounter when Sokokurai took on the entire Sumo Association and emerged victorious. I uh, doubt that's quite what you had in mind though.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1223720462536060934
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP_x6rBmwHg
Stream goes live in about an hour.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Apraxin posted:

There's also the final coda to the match-fixing scandal a decade ago, the epic encounter when Sokokurai took on the entire Sumo Association and emerged victorious. I uh, doubt that's quite what you had in mind though.

Yeah don't gently caress with Sokokurai

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

Salaryman Goeido:

Nice "G" on the belt.

hahaha goeido balling out! i'm glad i took an unreasonable shine to him! i wonder if there's any girls out there that like low-mid 30's ex-prestigious athletes who now have stable executive forever-jobs in the industry?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Apraxin posted:

this is extremely my poo poo. wikipedia time.

e: for the mildly-interested-but-not-going-to-put-in-further-effort readers: wasn't in the original group of wrestlers investigated, but seemed to be a target in a 'further investigation'. basically said 'i haven't done this. i won't resign. if you kick me out i'm going to court'. his stable master - when pressured by the association said basically 'i believe him. i won't do anything'. he was terminated. he took them to court. during his time off he couldn't live or train at his stable. his stable master made the baller move of hiring 'special consultant sokokurai' so he could still be involved at the heya. he worked out with rugby teams to stay fit during the trial. he was found not guilty and the association did't appeal. he had a really heartwarming, gutsy return run and is believed to be directly in line for his stable master's name. all's well.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 2, 2020

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The Wikipedia article on Sokokurai is a good, quick read. He's from China, but of Mongolian descent. He wasn't fond of Japanese food when starting out, so he'd put yoghurt on his rice to make it palatable.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

imagining walking into the sumo elder meetings as an equal who, up to this point, hadn't tried to use weak rear end evidence to ruin another person's entire career, try and ruin it anyway, humiliatingly lose, and then meekly reinstate them.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I've never actually watched the Hakuho Cup before, I wonder if any of these tiny kids end up in the top division.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ah this bit with the kids is weird to me, that one little boy got hurt and they zoomed in on him.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

this is pretty good for youth sports though

e: the ring is still too high though what are you doing hakuho

they are fighting their hearts out

BONGHITZ fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 2, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I'm tuning in at like random spots and I'm either seeing kids fighting their hearts out or (young?) adults henkaing hahahaha

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I’ve left it on in the background. Some pretty dang good matches here and there.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bentai posted:

Anyone know if the usual suspects will be streaming the Fuji TV Grand Sumo Tournament?

The old boy matches look good - coincidentally, most of them from that 2012 banzuke we were looking at before. And Satoyama.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I saw some tiny kids get thrown around by bigger fat kids for a bit. I know there was a Brazil team but I couldn't pick out any Brazilian kids and I guess I didn't understand the format either? But it was cool when the tiny kid pulled out some bullshit and beat the bigger fat kid.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Dias posted:

I saw some tiny kids get thrown around by bigger fat kids for a bit. I know there was a Brazil team but I couldn't pick out any Brazilian kids and I guess I didn't understand the format either? But it was cool when the tiny kid pulled out some bullshit and beat the bigger fat kid.

Yeah I have no clue what the format is considering it's entirely in Japanese, maybe once youtube finishes processing the 11 hour video someone can make sense of it :shrug:

edit: oh poo poo it's already done, surprisingly fast.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

For those not too familiar with this small corner of the sport, here's some shokkiri.

Think of this as the Harlem Globetrotters but in mawashi.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

anakha posted:

For those not too familiar with this small corner of the sport, here's some shokkiri.

Think of this as the Harlem Globetrotters but in mawashi.

That was pretty good. Very daft.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/inhashi_/status/1224209227612409857

I'm not actually sure what's happening in this video but here's Hakuho, Endo and Mitakeumi

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Brut posted:

I'm not actually sure what's happening in this video but here's Hakuho, Endo and Mitakeumi

It's Setsubun. They're throwing beans to ward off ogres (oni).

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setsubun

quote:

In its association with the Lunar New Year, spring Setsubun can be and was previously thought of as a sort of New Year's Eve, and so was accompanied by a special ritual to cleanse away all the evil of the former year and drive away disease-bringing evil spirits for the year to come. This special ritual is called mamemaki (豆撒き, "bean scattering"). Setsubun has its origins in tsuina (追儺), a Chinese custom introduced to Japan in the eighth century.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

lol. 'hakuho, your status and title requires you to throw food at people.'

'no.'

'hakuho look, you are required to do a certain number of these weird things a year, and all you have to do is stand around and throw food out of a box.'

'.... ok'

'good now go and help push endo's rear end into this weird pink costume and then put yours on'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

56k warning

Aoiyama, and Tamawashi just love hugging Enho. (These are Jungyo pictures from before the Basho)

Takekuma-Oyakata (formerly Goeido):

https://twitter.com/kikijiji1999/status/1224200740085780481
https://twitter.com/kikijiji1999/status/1224319747765882881

Brut fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 3, 2020