Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The Culling cutscene is in the game files

i have to know what went on with this loving development cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Trademarks apply to industries/types of products. No one is gonna confuse a videogame orc for a motorcycle.

Just because a company would probably win a lawsuit doesn’t mean they’d be more willing to risk one, especially when the alternative is something as minor as changing a character’s name. Companies avoid the faintest whiff of a lawsuit like the plague, even when the opposing company gives no indication they’d actually want one. As a comparison, they’ll poo poo all over the consumer all day because of the power imbalance. Just put complete bullshit in their EULA and hope people assume it’ll hold up in court.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Grom is also the name of a Polish special forces unit so I expect winged Hussars to arive at Blizzard's and Honda's HQs sometimes soon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I remember when Nintendo totally got sued because the newest fire emblem has a character called Mercedes

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 1, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pigbuster posted:

Just because a company would probably win a lawsuit doesn’t mean they’d be more willing to risk one, especially when the alternative is something as minor as changing a character’s name. Companies avoid the faintest whiff of a lawsuit like the plague, even when the opposing company gives no indication they’d actually want one. As a comparison, they’ll poo poo all over the consumer all day because of the power imbalance. Just put complete bullshit in their EULA and hope people assume it’ll hold up in court.
It's probably in the same sense that the sun will probably rise tomorrow.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Grom is also the name of a Polish special forces unit so I expect winged Hussars to arive at Blizzard's and Honda's HQs sometimes soon.
Winged Hussars just cutting a swathe of destruction through the multiple US companies with a Grom trademark.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i just had a sleep-deprived epiphany

grom is a popular figure that people identify with because he's supposedly a badass

however, much like most self-identified badasses, he's actually just a total fuckup with no impulse control and anger issues, so the people who identify him are being more accurate than they realize

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

:eyepop:

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

This is starting to look like some kind of Anthem-like disaster where they made one thing in the past two years, then rushed/outsourced the rest.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

lmao grom's attack animation

holy poo poo

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Question for people that have been playing SC2 or WCIII not reforged: When you play a matchmaking game as Random race and you get a win, does it count as a win toward just random portrait unlocks or also a win for the race you played?

I could have sworn you used to get credit towards both but it's been years since I played either.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Has anyone ever in the history of Warcraft's existence tried searching for "Grom" instead of "Grom Hellscream"?

Like I can't imagine going to Google like "I want to search that cool orc guy Hellscream" and just typing in his first name.

Maybe just me, idk. I can't imagine many people looking him up as just "Grom" though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Sometimes I'm like 'wow wc3 probably was more complicated to remaster than they expected!' then I remember that blizzard has a 2b/yr operating budget and during the time where they were working on literally almost nothing else and just ahahahah wtf are they actually doing with that budget

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Sometimes I'm like 'wow wc3 probably was more complicated to remaster than they expected!' then I remember that blizzard has a 2b/yr operating budget and during the time where they were working on literally almost nothing else and just ahahahah wtf are they actually doing with that budget

coke

Khorne
May 1, 2002
it's going toward incompetence, honestly

especially at the top level. Lower level you can only really do what you're told within the process dictated by those above.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 1, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

drat the remastered trees look so bad. The grass has much less character too.

This is several pages back now but I really want to comment on it. The original just looks better:

- Cracked dirt has depth and shading that perfectly conveys what it is, despite using the same color palette as regular dirt. It's instantly readable.

- Dark and light patches of grass mesh well together in all configurations, layering on top of each other.

- The trees, finally, have large bases and are bunched close together to create the illusion of a forest and undergrowth.

When you contrast that with the new art in Reforged (and remember, the screenshot has the same map with the same terrain tile information) the differences are huge. The new assets just don't fit - the grass patches barely flow into one another, instead getting harshly cut off and the depth is gone; the cracked dirt is now just regular dirt with a different color, and some of the tree models are too thin or small, exposing the ground beneath and ruining the illusion.

It's loving amateur hour. All they had to do was plug in upgraded assets that still conformed to the originals, and they failed at that.

Also: Contrast.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

To be strictly accurate Chris Metzen did a good job back when, then did exactly the same job for the rest of his tenure.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

jokes posted:

To be strictly accurate Chris Metzen did a good job back when, then did exactly the same job for the rest of his tenure.
Yeah. But he loved that job.

I think it's funny that Metzen's writing used to be one of the biggest complaints about the company. The fingers of the monkey paw snapped themselves right off when it heard that wish.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Khorne posted:

Yeah. But he loved that job.

I think it's funny that Metzen's writing used to be one of the biggest complaints about the company.

The problem only popped in when they started thinking their writing was good and not just indulgent campy Starship Troopers/Warhammer poo poo written for teenagers.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

ErrEff posted:

This is several pages back now but I really want to comment on it. The original just looks better:

- Cracked dirt has depth and shading that perfectly conveys what it is, despite using the same color palette as regular dirt. It's instantly readable.

- Dark and light patches of grass mesh well together in all configurations, layering on top of each other.

- The trees, finally, have large bases and are bunched close together to create the illusion of a forest and undergrowth.

When you contrast that with the new art in Reforged (and remember, the screenshot has the same map with the same terrain tile information) the differences are huge. The new assets just don't fit - the grass patches barely flow into one another, instead getting harshly cut off and the depth is gone; the cracked dirt is now just regular dirt with a different color, and some of the tree models are too thin or small, exposing the ground beneath and ruining the illusion.

It's loving amateur hour. All they had to do was plug in upgraded assets that still conformed to the originals, and they failed at that.

Also: Contrast.

In the original version there was something very satisfying about about felling a big chonky tree. It was more like a board game piece which I think is appropriate. The new ones look awful and the bare patches look like a budget cut came down as the model artist was 80% done

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Question for people that have been playing SC2 or WCIII not reforged: When you play a matchmaking game as Random race and you get a win, does it count as a win toward just random portrait unlocks or also a win for the race you played?

I could have sworn you used to get credit towards both but it's been years since I played either.

For war3, it just counts towards random for both portrait and win %.

The only time that you get double credit for a win is in tournament, where you get tournament credit and race credit. But I presume they’ve also killed off the tourneys as well?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

There's no ladder or ranked matchmaking and definitely no tournaments

still lolling at that actually

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so I'm not sure I understand the new EULA, are they just going to ban you if you try to play a custom map that has "copywritten material" in it? Will those maps just get deleted immediately and no one can play them?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
I thought that since I had actually pre-orderded this, I should actually try it. Go to the prologue mission, click Thrall... hang on, alt tab, something else in WoW popped up.

Go back...5 seconds later, DEFEAT. Didn't even get to first marker point to say I'm not a retard and can actually move a unit.

Uh....ok. Let's try again, close everything else + restart, no more alt tabbing, just focus in War3. Maybe it didn't like going to another app, it's possible!.....same thing. DEFEAT, just 30 seconds later this time.

I...er...don't know what to do. I have a legit War3 + War3x code + install somewhere, should I just replay that somehow? Or do I just dickpunch myself and try/wait to get Reforged working?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Grimdude posted:

Has anyone ever in the history of Warcraft's existence tried searching for "Grom" instead of "Grom Hellscream"?

Like I can't imagine going to Google like "I want to search that cool orc guy Hellscream" and just typing in his first name.

Maybe just me, idk. I can't imagine many people looking him up as just "Grom" though.

Why type in ten extra letters?

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I...er...don't know what to do. I have a legit War3 + War3x code + install somewhere, should I just replay that somehow? Or do I just dickpunch myself and try/wait to get Reforged working?

Honestly I don't think anyone knows when or how Blizzard are going to get this mess sorted out so you might be better off just playing through your old install. Once Blizzard starts patching Reforged who even knows how much stuff they are going to fix/add per patch?

At this point I'm just gonna keep checking this thread plus Reddit every day in hopes of hearing some kind of update to the situation.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Why would they care? Idiots pre-ordered this mess, they've got their money, why would they care?

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

I'm not sure how much more integrity Blizzard has left in dealing with this issue, but there is the possibility of legal problems arising from this mess since the Reforged website is still advertising features (New UI, new Reforged cutscenes) that did not make it into the final release. Blizzard, at the bare minimum, has to deal with the missing features they are still advertising on their website. Whether Blizzard will hunker down and defend themselves or actually patch in those missing features is anyone's guess at this point.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

My best experience with it so far has been getting a refund without having to talk to anyone. It was surprisingly easy.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Can one get a refund on the original games we can't play anymore? I used to loving LOVE Frozen Throne. :cry:

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

If Blizzard 100% owns all maps created by users, then users are employees or contractors of Blizzard with regard to mapmaking, and Blizzard must pay them for each map made.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

you should get a refund and stop preordering software

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I was really looking forward to this and almost pre-ordered multiple times and for the first time ever I did not pre-order a blizz game.. Looks like it was the right call though. What the hell is Blizz doing? They have not had a major new release since Overwatch and now after all this time they can't even get a remake right?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

At least battle.net chat got better:

I do think "Horecreaft 3: Reforskinned" would be a good thread title though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

At least battle.net chat got better:

The last time i reinstalled wc3 there was a guy in 4v4s whose username was some variant of DONALD_TRUMP who had a list of players and if he got teamed up with any of them, he would call them a libtard and team kill them. Anyone who said anything critical to him got added to the list. He must have played 24/7 because he showed up in like every match i tried to play.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm so glad I didn't preorder this.

At this point I would never buy a Blizzard game let alone pre-order one. Or pre-order a remake of one, for that matter.

There's been nothing but bad news coming out of the company for the last couple of years and I don't see that stopping now.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I have like 20 copies of Footmen Frenzy 5.4 AR in my maps folder because the custom game lobbies are so broken I keep having to re-download a map I already have, join the lobby, then immediately get kicked. If this happens, restarting the game or your internet does nothing to help, you just have to live with it and go play a different custom game until it is fixed.

Every single little thing is so hosed. Another minor complaint I have is that now when browsing for custom games/1v1s you just get the RoC main menu music. Back in the day you'd get to listen to like 50% of the WC3 soundtrack on shuffle when you were on battle.net. That's probably the most minor thing anyone who has posted in this thread has complained about, but seriously, there is nothing good about this release.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

OK if you want a break from yelling about companies being bad we're still playing sweet games. other than the classic graphics desyncs i think the actual game itself (once you're inside a game and playing) works just great. and most importantly there are billions of noobs just waiting to call you slurs because to them, towers are unforgivably dishonorable

here are two games that were fun stomps:

this one on Timbermaw had a nonstop action final act which must have been incredibly embarrassing for them (replay)

this one on Upper Kingdom had repeated sneak dives by big chim flotillas attempting to...kill mains? (replay)

and here were two games that weren't exactly super close, but involved a lot more "trying":

on Thunder Lake (my new favorite 3s map), Mata directs us to attempt an experimental choketower. Yes there are zeps but it should be fine. pretty much nonstop fights (replay)

a totally classic Golems In The Mist. it feels like 2007. it's good for your soul. and they're zep dropping in your main (replay)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Since I don't care about online and I never played the OG wc3. Is the campaign at least working? Or is Reddit just overreacting

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

CyberPingu posted:

Since I don't care about online and I never played the OG wc3. Is the campaign at least working? Or is Reddit just overreacting

The campaign works. Some people have been having bugs with random defeat screens upon loading into a level, but that doesn't seem to be all *that* common as far as I can tell - persistence and maybe restarting the game should overcome it if it happens to you.

There are a few moments of kinda janky animation in Reforged, but all in all the campaign works just fine, and while there aren't as many sweeping changes as was promised in 2018, what they have done is nice. For the most part. I'm still annoyed by their efforts to remove the name "Grom", mostly because they did it poorly. They also removed any instances of anyone speaking the name "Furion" in the Reign of Chaos Night Elf campaign, but that effort is far less noticeable, and far less frequent, as he tends to be referred to exclusively as "Shan'do Stormrage" by anyone not named Tyrande or Illidan.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

Campaign has worked fine for me, actually. I’m actually quite enamoured of the art upgrade.

If I were trying multiplayer I’d be upset, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
That's fine then. Definitely a case of gently caress you got mine but I can see why people would be pissed about the online changes.