Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

The Halogens posted:

That's been my experience as well. Making art is a lot like exercise. You can go to the gym and see absolutely jacked people tossing around weight you have no hope of lifting, but if you put in the reps every visit you'll find your limits steadily being pushed. The latter half of this month for you has yielded some great pieces. I remember excitedly showing my wife your lime post.
:blush:

And here is the final one for January! Nidoqueen!

Highfives all around for all you wonderful folks for being here on this dead gay internet forum! It could not be like this without you. Know that we are one month in, one month(!) and we already have over 320 posts in this thread. Keep it up and keep the drawings coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

:blush:

And here is the final one for January! Nidoqueen!

Highfives all around for all you wonderful folks for being here on this dead gay internet forum! It could not be like this without you. Know that we are one month in, one month(!) and we already have over 320 posts in this thread. Keep it up and keep the drawings coming!

Now redo your squirtle.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Sometimes you just gotta draw a giant blue naked guy.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Angrymog posted:

Now redo your squirtle.

That will be drawing #366 on the 31 of December.

With the month of January having flown by, I have a new prompts list and this time I put in some more effort. It is: draw the country! I call it Cøuntuary! I am using mapcrunch to find a nice place with gmaps but if that does not work out, wikipedia, your library or GIS will help me out. If nothing else, I can cop out and draw the flag. The purpose is to do some nice urban landscapes. Near the end of the month I will be visiting Switserland, so that one is right over there and I can do some drawing from life.

1. Estonia
2. Finland
3. Lithuania
4. Serbia
5. Latvia
6. Luxembourg
7. Germany
8. Slovenia
9. Slovakia
10. Greece
11. Spain
12. Belgium
13. Sweden
14. France
15. The Netherlands
16. Hungary
17. Iceland
18. Norway
19. Ireland
20. Poland
21. Italy
22. Portugal
23. United Kingdom (ok, UK is pretty to paint and it is not like Switzerland is in the EU either)
24. Croatia
25. Romania
26. Czech Republic
27. Malta
28. Denmark
29. Switzerland

Keetron fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 31, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

23. United Kingdom Czech Republic

Harsh. Really mean spirited tbh. :(

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Angrymog posted:

Harsh. Really mean spirited tbh. :(

Sorry, I had so much fun doing that, did not mean to be harsh.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Phylodox posted:

Sometimes you just gotta draw a giant blue naked guy.

Thread's marked NWS already, you can post the blue dick! Hooray!

Nidoqeon is done! Wooo full month! Haven't done that in two years! Next up: putting in effort.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Thread's marked NWS already, you can post the blue dick! Hooray!

I literally can’t. There’s nothing behind the pixelation.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Scoss posted:

Some more daily studies. I am convinced they're gonna be a disaster every time I start and for about 20 minutes into them, but after doing 12 so far honestly only one has turned out to be abject poo poo that I wouldn't post.

these are very cool

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

this rules

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

First of Cøuntuary: Estonia.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The last of my Drawnuary pictures. I admit I cheated with the Orange (being held by the big ghost pokemon), and Gastodon (appears in Captain Lime's briefing), but I feel I basically did them all.

Unlike Keetron I flitted around mediums and was working with poo poo paper so that I didn't feel bad about drawing mostly nonsense, but I think I'm a lot better with my various water soluble pencils than I was at the start. I'm probably going to redraw Blueberry onto proper paper, and planning to scan the entire set at work on Monday assuming our MFD doesn't choke on the paper.

I've got another project that I need to work on at the start of Feburary, so probably won't be doing the country sketches until the later half of the month.

And here's a couple of pictures from artsociety - our usual life-drawing lass, but with her kit on.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 1, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

lofi posted:

Have you thought about trying different wood? It looks like you're using plywood there, and that has a ton of glue in (I think), that might be part of the problem.

Baltic Birch seems to be the wood of choice but it is relatively expensive. Definitely need to figure out which polyacrylic / lacquer to use as well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

A recent drawing I did that I forgot to post. Ink on paper. They serve sandwiches? Mediterranean food!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 2, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Finland!

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

A recent drawing I did that I forgot to post. Ink on paper. They serve sandwiches? Mediterranean food!

This has a tamer Ralph Steadman air to it. I'd buy a gyro from there. Reminds me of a coffee shop in a nearby city called Outside Coffee. They're a trailer outside. Since it's winter they've installed little igloos for people instead of making a mega-trailer (some would call this a "building").

"I'm not a shadow, I live in the sea of the human heart! I'll pick up Scruffler's turds! From now on, I'm you!" Echoing Flavius, this rules.

For my own contributions, the final two Drawnuary entries with mixed results. Tried some new techniques; very useful practice!

Speaking of useful practice, I mentioned that I've been spending a good chunk of my art time practicing anatomy with the end goal of drawing a comic. Dedicated practice gives pretty good results, especially when I take a look at what I've drawn, figure out what I've done well/wrong, make another attempt with my critique in mind, repeating ad nauseum. I decided to draw one of my main characters. The first one is from January 24th, the second is from February 1st. Neither are anything especially great, but I'm happy with the improvements I've made. Country drawings for this month aren't going so well. Turns out that I have no idea how to draw landscapes! Should be good practice, though. Art feels like Dark Souls right now - the more I fail, the closer I get to my goal.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

For Estonia I Googled up what is supposedly a traditional peasant's cottage. I might go back and color these at some point, I don't know.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Doodlin'

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

After some fiddling yesterday I've decided that I can't stand my old Strathmore or Windsor and Newton watercolour books so I'm shelving them permanently. The arches paper has spoiled me and I can't stand them anymore. So I decided I wanted to try Saunders Waterford spiral notebooks for when I want to do something casual. Naturally since I am buying paper I'm going to try different paints too, even though I like the Daniel Smith stuff just fine. So that's a dozen Holbein paints to try.

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Oooh, let me know how you like the Holbein as almost nobody here sells them I would have to import them which is :10bux:

Keetron fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 3, 2020

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The more I use watercolour, the more reasonable Wacom prices seem.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

lofi posted:

My watercolors have all been from art stores that were shuttering, I dread having to buy them full price now that only one is left

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Guess who's on a post-apoc kick atm? Really happy with how this one's going, though it's taking a looooong time.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

9S: Why’d you buy em?

2B: Well, it’s complicated 9S.

9S: I can understand it, why?

2B: You would never understand unless you live alone.

9S: So, you live by yourself and when you get lonely and buy swords I don’t understand.

2B: Wow, you nailed it.

9S: That’s it?

2B: Yeah.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Lithuania!

lofi posted:

For some reason I think 200 euro for paints and another 50 for two sketchbooks seems perfectly reasonable. 400 for a display drawing tablet is excessive, tho.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 3, 2020

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Keetron posted:

Oooh, let me know how you like the Holbein as almost nobody here sells them I would have to import them which is :10bux:

90% of the stuff I buy comes from Jackson's because despite my desire to buy local, or at least within Australia, nobody stocks what I want, or they do but it costs way, way more even taking into consideration the cost of shipping from the other side of the world.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Plaguewalker

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
That's great, Sharpest Crayon. I must be a secret goth because I love plague masks.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Another sketch based on a Jordu Schell sculpt.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

goopy friends

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Skratte posted:

goopy friends

Oh nice! Is this traditional media?

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

yeah it's just colored pencil and pen on paper. Those sketchbooks that are grey or tan are the best.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I got commissioned to make a new podcast logo for Visual Novel Book Club and I'm quite happy with how it came out.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Bunny in progress.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Another painting.

Niedzica Castle in Poland. Poland has some unreal castles straight out of Narnia if you're into that sort of thing. I'll be doing another I expect.

Daniel Smith watercolours on 300gm arches cold press 9x12in paper.

I honestly wasn't sure about this one but I came to like it more the more I looked at it. The trees need more work but that's for a future painting. For a first "proper" landscape I'm quite happy with it. I particularly like the subtle reflection on the lakefront and the fact that I was able to correct the sky a little with an extra wash because without it, the castle just disappeared into the background.

I also immediately liked it more when I went to file it away in my folder and compared it to some of my earlier stuff with that paper/paint combo. :D

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Skratte posted:

yeah it's just colored pencil and pen on paper. Those sketchbooks that are grey or tan are the best.

Yup. Nice work.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Still working on this. gently caress flatting.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Needs more LSD...

Serbia!

edit:
and Latvia

sometimes you catch the bear and sometimes you make a lovely drawing

Keetron fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011