Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Invisible status and Do Not Disturb mode works well too. I don't know why people feel the need to put horrible things in steam notifications when they see somebody on stream at GDQ but people are gonna just be like that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
shouldnt they just disable the steam overlay

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The problem is, Steam settings are saved both per-account and per-machine. That means GDQ can’t set up Steam in advance because the runners may not be at the event before it starts, and the runners can’t because their settings won’t carry over to the GDQ machines. I guess you could have the runners connect over VNC to do setup, but that would be a massive ordeal for a problem that can be solved in post.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
All those settings are stored on a per computer per account basis so it's all still extra work for the stage tech each and every steam run when they're busy trying to move that dumb couch and teach nerds how to use a headset.

Double Punctuation posted:

I guess you could have the runners connect over VNC to do setup, but that would be a massive ordeal for a problem that can be solved in post.

We tried this with pc runs at my event and it wasn't anywhere near as helpful as I hoped.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 26, 2020

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah like i said. Every time a new profile is logged in youd have to remind the runner to log out of steam friends

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The obvious solution would be to just disconnect or block the running PC from the internet once it's in in a known-good state. I'm not sure what is preventing that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
put a sticky note on the monitor during setups

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

K8.0 posted:

The obvious solution would be to just disconnect or block the running PC from the internet once it's in in a known-good state. I'm not sure what is preventing that.

Logging into steam, something going wrong and an update needing to be downloaded, etc. A game requiring online of some kind. I guess you could pull internet right before the run starts?

The problem is, Steam settings are saved both per-account and per-machine. That means GDQ can’t set up Steam in advance because the runners may not be at the event before it starts, and the runners can’t because their settings won’t carry over to the GDQ machines. I guess you could have the runners connect over VNC to do setup, but that would be a massive ordeal for a problem that can be solved in post.

Runners are supposed to set up beforehand, and the vast majority of pc runners have enough time to do so. The problem is that "setup the game" and "setup steam" aren't the same, and there's not really an official checklist for setup outside of "your game and devices work"

Ask about Monolith setup, which involved bringing in another PC because for some reason it would only run at 50 FPS on the stream PCs :v:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

site posted:

put a sticky note on the monitor during setups

yeah.
hey dude your game is running cool now log out of friends before we switch your monitor capture to the stream

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
It's actually part of the tech checklist, but why it still gets missed sometimes is something I can't answer. Maybe the runner doesn't realize they need to do it before they start the game? I'm not really involved in the cable wrangling during the actual event, any more.

In at least one case it wasn't even the overlay, the game crashed and people were sending lovely things that were visible on the desktop while they reloaded.

Plus at least one actual in-game notification that was so utterly obviously lovely it made me think the game didn't have any filtering whatsoever.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I believe I also saw one friend request that had a slur in the user name.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Jfc
https://twitter.com/MrCheeze_/status/1221700173182705664?s=19

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

jesus

This has been a wild, fast ride

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

I hope someone somewhere is finally vindicated for telling the story of this happening on accident as a kid and nobody believing them for 20 years

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Swilo posted:

I hope someone somewhere is finally vindicated for telling the story of this happening on accident as a kid and nobody believing them for 20 years

That child's name? 3ー08ビぁcべ

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dr. Stab posted:

That child's name? 3ー08ビぁcべ

That kid grew up to raise a child of their own, ; DROP TABLE USERS;

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

how does it keep happening

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i knew we'd get there eventually

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

How appropriate that the Hero of Time's game is the one that keeps breaking speed records.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RBA Starblade posted:

That kid grew up to raise a child of their own, ; DROP TABLE USERS;

Good ol little bobby tables

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Opening cinematic credits warp when

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Pakled posted:

Opening cinematic credits warp when

Give it a week

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Turns out if you spin the N64 around really fast after power-on,

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

SeXReX posted:

Give it a week

Through the power of ACE, we have figured out a way to immediately go from turning on your console straight to the credits!

Kuros fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 29, 2020

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

"Ok so in order to do this ACE setup you cut the end off a computer power cable and jam the 3 conductors into the holes in controller port 4..."

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The setup only works with one version of the N64 that was only available in Bolivia for one month.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I like how in that brief period of time where the Majoras Mask run was playing song of soaring 1000 times and you needed to use wii-u vc they just did the entirely reasonable thing and split the versions.

More proof that mm roolz and oot droolz

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
In the frame-perfect, subpixel-perfect world of Super Mario Bros. speedrunning, Kosmic has achieved a 4:55.6x, which has often been speculated to be where the category dies (though he doesn't think so himself). Thusly, he drops the mic on any% because the frames left to save are some bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wR8x5b_ExM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDGmFveY2IA

e: ah gently caress already mentioned. analysis video is choice though

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 29, 2020

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
https://www.twitch.tv/closetowar final fantasy 10, 3 mins ahead of PB/WR, 9hr 15min / 10hr 06min into run

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

heeheex2 posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/closetowar final fantasy 10, 3 mins ahead of PB/WR, 9hr 15min / 10hr 06min into run

Oh nice. Almost 4 minutes ahead now!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I sure hope they don’t run into any spikes in the last room of the game.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Tweezer Reprise posted:

In the frame-perfect, subpixel-perfect world of Super Mario Bros. speedrunning, Kosmic has achieved a 4:55.6x, which has often been speculated to be where the category dies (though he doesn't think so himself). Thusly, he drops the mic on any% because the frames left to save are some bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wR8x5b_ExM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDGmFveY2IA

e: ah gently caress already mentioned. analysis video is choice though

does he have something set up to automatically record splits? i don't see how else he would get accurate times when the optimization is getting so specific

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

does he have something set up to automatically record splits? i don't see how else he would get accurate times when the optimization is getting so specific

I think they can figure out their exact time based on the pattern of hammers Bowser throws at the end

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

He explains it in the video. Due to frame rules, you can tell what time you have going into 8-4. From there, you can figure out which RNG seed Bowser is on when he spawns by his pattern, which tells you where in a 256-frame interval you hit that point. By then, you hopefully don’t need to slow down, and if you do, you just assume the video didn’t drop any frames starting at that point and count up the frames in the video.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
whoa

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You should be able to account for dropped frames too since the hammers / mario would be in a different place than expected.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Been watching some gdq videos and as much fun as the mario maker races are I think I prefer the kaizo runs more. They have a lot more humour and feel a bit less hectic.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

He explains it in the video. Due to frame rules, you can tell what time you have going into 8-4. From there, you can figure out which RNG seed Bowser is on when he spawns by his pattern, which tells you where in a 256-frame interval you hit that point. By then, you hopefully don’t need to slow down, and if you do, you just assume the video didn’t drop any frames starting at that point and count up the frames in the video.

the bowser rng is actually timed from power on, and they wait a few seconds before starting the run to get good bullet bill and bowser rng. The title screen also has a frame rule, so you don't need to frame-perfect start the run.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
OoT any% is sub 10 mins now because they skip the ocarina.

Majoras Mask just got an ACE credits warp too so expect more mm any% wrs soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

heeheex2 posted:

OoT any% is sub 10 mins now because they skip the ocarina.

Majoras Mask just got an ACE credits warp too so expect more mm any% wrs soon

I can't wait to see someone using n64zelda ACE as their programming language to do one of those daily challenge things like the advent of code