Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Resting Lich Face posted:

gently caress it, eat up. That's what your immune system is for.

Oh, I absolutely ate the stuff that didn't touch the floor. It was more just annoying than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Resting Lich Face posted:

Lava cake. It's all about the marketing. :eng101:

I feel like lava cake eventually solidifies; that's why it has to be served while it's still hot. This, uh, never got any more solid.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’ve had some real good luck just following recipes and having things come out alright. I’ve been through a bunch of video recipes and it gives me enough confidence to screw up every so often.

I made creme brûlée after having never done a custard or that before. I went with a quart of cream and measured what I thought was a third for a test batch and it came out wonderfully .

For the real batch I just dumped everything that was left figuring it would be right until I had enough liquid for another ramekin at the end. It seemed to set alright so I went with it.

After torching and serving I realized what the effect of this was as my custard began melting quickly into vanilla slurry :( . Could have been worse I suppose after reading this thread I could have tried to glass rock salt on top or something but still - cock up cause I got cocky .

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Not so much a cockup but just a thoroughly meh dish.

A kinda mole pork belly, onion, and bok choy stir fry thing.

Just kinda bland and uninspiring.

I ate some celery and ranch dressing and two pieces of leftover chicken kabob instead.

The GF had a bowl of it and declared it not great but not disgusting either. There was no "mmmmmm".

Fake edit: How have I not noticed "Disiasters" in the six years this thread has been open?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I forgot that heating my milk & cream up would eventually cause them to reduce, and now I only have like 2 cups worth of ice cream to bring to this potluck :(

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Make something else rq and eat all the ice cream yourself

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Make something else rq and eat all the ice cream yourself

Alas, there was a sign up spreadsheet.

I will probably pick up something in addition though

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

I forgot that heating my milk & cream up would eventually cause them to reduce, and now I only have like 2 cups worth of ice cream to bring to this potluck :(

It'll probably be rich as hell though.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Thoht posted:

It'll probably be rich as hell though.

Oh yeah it's good af

Especially bc I didn't realize you only heat up the milk and not the cream too

It's very caffeinated

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Killingyouguy! posted:

Oh yeah it's good af

Especially bc I didn't realize you only heat up the milk and not the cream too

It's very caffeinated

Can, uh, can we get a recipe for this caffeinated ice cream?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Astrofig posted:

Can, uh, can we get a recipe for this caffeinated ice cream?

It's very standard,

2 cups of heavy cream (or, if you're like me and can't seem to find that, whipping cream)
1 cup 2%milk

Heat in double boiler until steaming.

Add 3 tbsp flavoured black tea (mine was 'spiced apple caramel') and brew in the hot milk, stirring, for 5 minutes

Remove from heat and dissolve in 1/2 cup white sugar.

Strain, pressing the tea for liquid, refrigerate, prepare in the donvier you got a crazy good deal on at the thrift store

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It was well appreciated despite the small servings :shobon:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was thinking coffee when I read caffeinated, and you could have passed the small servings off as Ice Cream Espresso.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm really tempted to make ice cream from one of those 3:15PM milk tea bags!!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Why bother heating that? You're not making a custard. Just letting it steep longer in the fridge would be way simpler.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I was just following the general vibe of all the recipes I could find online :( would the tea still extract that way?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yup! Same concept as sun tea.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Safer than sun tea, too, which can make you sick.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sure, it would extract, the same as cold brew coffee.

For ice cream without a custard in general, the term you can look up is Philadelphia ice cream. That's all I make, it's so easy and good.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Not mine, but I feel it belongs here

https://twitter.com/TweetsByTheTony...ingawful.com%2F

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't like melons, generally. There's a "melon flavour" that I just don't like. It's not disgusting or anything, I taste it in every melon I've had. I wonder if roasting a melon would remove that taste?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Crossposting this, my mom is cleaning our attic and found a cheese sandwich packed for lunch in a jacket my brother last used when he was 10.

My brother is 34.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That's honestly in much better shape than I'd expect. Must be a pretty dry attic.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Yeah, it's dry and cool, and since it was wrapped and in a pocket, whatever microbes that could have made it go bad probably died in a very short time.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Tried making potato pancakes tonight. I'm not sure if too much milk was involved, or not enough egg/flour, but they never did crisp up all the way. Ended up baking them in the oven and thatgotthe outside crispy enough, but inside it was still too soft.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Were you going for latkes or rosti or pancakes w/ potato in them, what was the original intent, because it doesn't usually involve milk in my mind.

e: Whatever the case you need to squeeze as much liquid from the grated potato as possible.

angerbot fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 14, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Made carne guisada yesterday. For some reason the liquid just...never cooked off at all, and it never thickened up. Texture of the meat was perfect, flavor was on point, just it's more like beef soup than a proper guisada. It'll still be fantastic leftovers so I'm not sure it qualifies for this thread, just threw me off - this is something I've made dozens of times, and I've never had this issue.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Astrofig posted:

Tried making potato pancakes tonight. I'm not sure if too much milk was involved, or not enough egg/flour, but they never did crisp up all the way. Ended up baking them in the oven and thatgotthe outside crispy enough, but inside it was still too soft.

It does sound like you had too much water in the potatoes. You basically have to press like like a Salem witch to get all the Satan out.

E: i hosed up dakgalbi by accidentally pouring about a third of a bottle of ponzu on it last night. Yes, I know ponzu isn't Korean, that's not the point!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

angerbeet posted:

Were you going for latkes or rosti or pancakes w/ potato in them, what was the original intent, because it doesn't usually involve milk in my mind.

e: Whatever the case you need to squeeze as much liquid from the grated potato as possible.

Latkes. Id heard you could make them from mashed potatoes, not grated ones.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's... not the typical way to make them.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's... not the typical way to make them.

You might even call that method ... a disiaster.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Astrofig posted:

Latkes. Id heard you could make them from mashed potatoes, not grated ones.

Make fresh mashed potatoes without milk. Maybe a little cream and lots of butter. Pan fry them in hot oil just to crisp up the outside. Top with a fried egg, green onions, sour cream and hot sauce. Not a latke but very good.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Atticus_1354 posted:

Make fresh mashed potatoes without milk. Maybe a little cream and lots of butter. Pan fry them in hot oil just to crisp up the outside. Top with a fried egg, green onions, sour cream and hot sauce. Not a latke but very good.

Add some flour and cornstarch if you want a stiffer texture. Highly recommended. Serve a few with some roasted chicken and vegetables for a hella dinner.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Add some flour and cornstarch if you want a stiffer texture. Highly recommended. Serve a few with some roasted chicken and vegetables for a hella dinner.

Good idea. I will try some cornstarch next time I make them. They make a great lunch if you have access to a stove since you can make them up ahead of time and then fry the potato and egg when you're ready to eat.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sounds like you were making the kind of potato cakes we had when I was growing up:

http://nessasfamilykitchen.blogspot.com/2012/03/potato-cakes.html

She puts egg in hers, which we never did, but I don't have an actual recipe for ours since it was all done by eyeballing the amounts. The key to getting a texture that doesn't fall apart is using enough flour, but if you use too much they get really leathery and unpleasant.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

A disaster in potate.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
A long time ago in undergrad, me and a couple of friends were cooking, and one of them managed to completely gently caress up his pinky finger with a vegetable peeler. Not the vertical knife kind, but the horizontal safety kind:

Nobody could understand how he'd skinned himself with it, so we just patched it up as well as we could and he sat out the rest of the prep drinking to get over the shame and pain.

Months later, the other friend started culinary school and was in the middle of the introductory lessons on safety. The instructor was showing tools and utensils and talking about safety concerns and mitigation for each, burners and knifes and boiling pots etc.

He then reaches to a vegetable peeler and goes "except for this one of course, what kind of idiot could hurt themselves with it haha" and my friend had to excuse herself a bit because she was ugly snort laughing.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bubblyblubber posted:

A long time ago in undergrad, me and a couple of friends were cooking, and one of them managed to completely gently caress up his pinky finger with a vegetable peeler. Not the vertical knife kind, but the horizontal safety kind:

Nobody could understand how he'd skinned himself with it, so we just patched it up as well as we could and he sat out the rest of the prep drinking to get over the shame and pain.

Months later, the other friend started culinary school and was in the middle of the introductory lessons on safety. The instructor was showing tools and utensils and talking about safety concerns and mitigation for each, burners and knifes and boiling pots etc.

He then reaches to a vegetable peeler and goes "except for this one of course, what kind of idiot could hurt themselves with it haha" and my friend had to excuse herself a bit because she was ugly snort laughing.

I have hosed up with a cheese plane before. Holding the cheese with one hand, dragging the plane towards me, and when it gets close to the rind it just sort of gets a little stuck. I give it a little more force and it swipes at the bottom of my hand.

You can barely see it but there's still a little scar left on it. This is actually the second time I've done this. I also sliced a hunk off my thumb before lol.

The cheese was edam.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I attempted to make pastry. I foolishly assumed when they said “up to 1.5 cups of cold water” one could reasonably add, say, half of that to start.

Not so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Grated my thumb yesterday :(