Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1223734720514732033

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

yeah yikes

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hope people stocked up on their bat soup.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

For all of us bugchasers, bat rear end is a delicacy.

Marlow
Jan 11, 2007

Foreign dokaebi

vyst posted:

bat rear end is a delicacy.

There’s the thread title right there.

How long until people in the west start taking this seriously? I’m afraid that they won’t worry about it until there’s a dead American or two.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Marlow posted:

How long until people in the west start taking this seriously? I’m afraid that they won’t worry about it until there’s a dead American or two.

https://www.theonion.com/experts-ebola-vaccine-at-least-50-white-people-away-1819576750

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Marlow posted:

Given the quarantine efforts in the US, i'd say at least the CDC is taking it seriously. I know i've been washing my hands more for sure

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1223742827638620160

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Imagine a virus that was only transmissible through pourovers

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Ruggan posted:

if someone with like an actual degree or whatever could chime in that would be cool though

Phd in wildlife disease ecology. Killing and removing bats in Africa increased prevalence of a deadly virus (Marburg virus, I think) in the remaining bats. Best to leave bats alone and educate people to cover their food and to how to safely remove bats in their homes. There's increasing evidence that intact biodiversity keeps viruses in wildlife reservoirs more in check.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rauros posted:

Phd in wildlife disease ecology. Killing and removing bats in Africa increased prevalence of a deadly virus (Marburg virus, I think) in the remaining bats. Best to leave bats alone and educate people to cover their food and to how to safely remove bats in their homes. There's increasing evidence that intact biodiversity keeps viruses in wildlife reservoirs more in check.

I think what you are trying to say is that we should definitely be eating more live bats.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rauros posted:

What do you do for work? Legitimately curious because that sounds fairly cool.

MyMomSaysImKeen
May 5, 2010
The testing numbers / deaths being linear may be due to hospital beds, and testing limits.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

vyst posted:

Given the quarantine efforts in the US, i'd say at least the CDC is taking it seriously. I know i've been washing my hands more for sure

I've been washing your hands, too

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
let's all wash vyst's hands

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I appreciate it. Eating all this bat rear end is real messy

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanos was right.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanos was right.

To prevent infection u need 2 gloves not just 1

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1223757182035951619

Looks like we're still in exponential growth

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

all of china reported less than 1000 yesterday and now more than 2000 today? yikes

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

all of china reported less than 1000 yesterday and now more than 2000 today? yikes

IIRC between the various updates the total for yesterday was around 2000 vs 2500 today

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Telsa Cola posted:

What do you do for work? Legitimately curious because that sounds fairly cool.

Post-doc’ing in a wildlife disease surveillance department at a university currently. The emerging infectious disease club is modeling this coronavirus for fun, lol.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPKZSyz4QoI

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Nm

Enfys fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 2, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Marlow posted:

The US has already instituted complete access denial to any foreign national who "poses a risk" of carrying coronavirus, which basically means anyone flying out of or through China. There is also a mandatory 2 week quarantine period for any US citizen returning from the Hubei province, retroactively applied to anyone who came back up to 2 weeks ago.

Anyone who's deemed at risk of being infected or who is confirmed infected is being quarantined and monitored

That seems like a pretty serious set of responses to me, like it's not "quarantine all of Boston" like some people want but I don't think that would necessarily be helpful

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Imagine a virus that was only transmissible through pourovers

They're called Hipsters

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ogantai posted:

IIRC between the various updates the total for yesterday was around 2000 vs 2500 today

so a 25% daily increase. not good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

That seems like a pretty serious set of responses to me, like it's not "quarantine all of Boston" like some people want but I don't think that would necessarily be helpful

Quarantine all Pats fans just to be on the safe side

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

QuarkJets posted:

The US has already instituted complete access denial to any foreign national who "poses a risk" of carrying coronavirus, which basically means anyone flying out of or through China. There is also a mandatory 2 week quarantine period for any US citizen returning from the Hubei province, retroactively applied to anyone who came back up to 2 weeks ago.

Anyone who's deemed at risk of being infected or who is confirmed infected is being quarantined and monitored

The US really is the best country on earth, praise the US and it's amazing response!!

That's what you wanted to hear, right?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Zotix posted:

Hope people stocked up on their bat soup.

gently caress you, racist

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CODChimera posted:

those graphs would probably be more concerning if SARS had killed more than 800 people.

here's a little open secret: it did

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The only good bat is a live bat, in my soup.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

pigz posted:

Huh I wonder if 2% of a large number could be more than 10% of a comparatively smaller number..

In any case we don't know enough so comparisons shouldn't be made. A less deadly but more infectious virus can kill waaaay more people total since it'll be harder to contain so more people will get it.

pretty sur its clear that this will kill more people than Sars once it's said and done, unfortunately. Unless ur team 'leading Respitory expert who said it would be over I 7-10 days three days ago' then uhh carry on I guess. Because otherwise it seems a lock we could reach the 40k infected

He didn't say it would be over, he said it would peak. Meaning infections would continue but the rate of infection would start dropping. You people are morons.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Prince Myshkin posted:

You people are morons.

Welcome to SomethingAwful dot com

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rauros posted:

Post-doc’ing in a wildlife disease surveillance department at a university currently. The emerging infectious disease club is modeling this coronavirus for fun, lol.

Sounds pretty cool, thanks!

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
The interesting thing is that the number of cases in Hubei is still going up, but the rate of infection in the rest of China appears to have plateaued and is actually going down. 611 yesterday and 557 today. Suggests China's response has worked as far as containing the spread goes, but the epicenter is still seeing big increases.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Prince Myshkin posted:

The interesting thing is that the number of cases in Hubei is still going up, but the rate of infection in the rest of China appears to have plateaued and is actually going down. 611 yesterday and 557 today. Suggests China's response has worked as far as containing the spread goes, but the epicenter is still seeing big increases.

Reported for lack of casual racism or ironic nationalism

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Prince Myshkin posted:

He didn't say it would be over, he said it would peak. Meaning infections would continue but the rate of infection would start dropping. You people are morons.

yesterday there was 2000 infections, today it was 2500. you really think a 25% increase is going to plateau in just a few days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
goddamn that av rules