Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I really liked the mad max hair on the Chief Drama Officer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

adaz posted:

There's whole episodes of Voyager talking about the borg threat being thousands of years old - like wasnt it from an eyewitness who was trapped in the past or something - which makes the romulans made the borg problematic.

I believe that the Borg held a 'handful of systems' in the 14th century so yes, it's tricky continuity-wise. I think that came from the guy who tried to trick the Voyager crew into using his fake Federation ship, the Dauntless or something.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The borg being like 30 years old don't make any sense. How'd they get to the delta quadrant and build a massive empire?

Freed drones like Picard, 7, etc should know the borgs history and would know if they were a new thing created by the romulans.

Also the Borg ship released from the artic ice in Enterprise made its transmission to the delta quadrant, not Romulan space.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 2, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

skasion posted:

I really liked the mad max hair on the Chief Drama Officer

This guy could have been the Romulan lead, not that scraggly NuFolk troubador looking motherfucker, dangit

Hope that's not the last we get of Devilish Mr Angles.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

I believe that the Borg held a 'handful of systems' in the 14th century so yes, it's tricky continuity-wise. I think that came from the guy who tried to trick the Voyager crew into using his fake Federation ship, the Dauntless or something.

Had to find it - it was the episodes where they encountered the gedrin and the vaduwar and the guys in suspended animation for 900 years. So yes in the 1400s they held a "handful of systems". The romulans left vulcan around 370 AD +/- 100 years depending on how long the atomic war they had with Surak lasted.

At impulse speeds it'd presumably take them at least a century or so to get to Romulus but we don't really know when exactly. Regardless, pretty hard to make the timelines work for the Borg.

adaz fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 2, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Trip report: I started watching The Punisher as something mindless that wouldn't require thought. But it turns out it's really good! It's kind of the antidote to all these god-awful post 9/11 shows where agents at alphabet soup agencies make Hard Choices and do crimes to protect America. Netflix's Marvel's The Punisher is about the fallout back home from those dirty wars, and the main antagonists are the same people who would be protagonists on 24 and Homeland. It's kind of incredibly ballsy and even leftist to assert that your protagonist is going to assassinate the Deputy Director of the CIA and that's a correct moral choice.

It's very much not what I expected and way better than say Star Trek Discovery both in terms of being a well-made TV show and in terms of its stance on war crimes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Romulans were constantly under surveillance so they would not want to deviate from the accepted norms, so that means all the same haircuts.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arglebargle III posted:

It's very much not what I expected and way better than say Star Trek Discovery both in terms of being a well-made TV show and in terms of its stance on war crimes.

I've only seen the first season, but it was very good and ended in the most perfect place possible for Frank.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Walton Simons posted:

I think that came from the guy who tried to trick the Voyager crew into using his fake Federation ship, the Dauntless or something.

That was Ray Wise (Arturis). He was great because he finally put Janeway in her loving place.

Arturis: You negotiated an agreement with the Borg Collective! Safe passage through their space. And in return, you helped them defeat one of their enemies.
Seven of Nine: Species 8472.
Arturis: In your colorful language, yes. Species 8472. Did it ever occur to you that there were those of us in the Delta Quadrant who had a vested interest in that war? Victory would've meant the annihilation of the Borg, but you couldn't see beyond the bow of your own ship!
Janeway: In my estimation, Species 8472 posed a greater threat than the Borg.
Arturis: WHO WERE YOU TO MAKE THAT DECISION?! A stranger to this quadrant!

Janeway was responsible for the assimilation of his entire species, save a few thousand. Makes you wonder how many more species she helped assimilate by defeating Species 8472.

Though maybe she made up for it between the combines effects of liberating the Borg that were all a part of Unimatrix Zero, and then her future self infecting them with a virus of sorts.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't know that you need to know the specifics of the conspiracy right off the bat.
It's pretty clear that she's a Vulcan working with the Romulans on some secret plot. That's fine for now.

It was actually the Vulcans who created the Borg in their attempt at something something perfect logic. And that's why :spock: could sense V'ger.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It was actually the Vulcans who created the Borg in their attempt at something something perfect logic. And that's why :spock: could sense V'ger.

STOP!

e: Just for clarity, I was arguing for omitting that scene for pacing reasons. I think a mystery/conspiracy plot does eventually need to be crystal loving clear. Just in case it looks like I was endorsing incoherent Bad Robot Brobot style mystery....

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 2, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I said come in! posted:

It's not much better though. It's a Borg cube, controlled by the Romulans and clearly wanted to be worked on in secret, yet they are just hiring random people around the galaxy to work and live there? This entire Borg plot thing is so confusing right now. Like, I get revealing stuff slowly, but this is just written like fan fiction and is only there because its cool.

Did they say it was secret at some point? I got the impression all the scientists were invited there as some sort of science exchange, not hired.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I didn't think it was meant to be secret - the Trill woman says she had to get some sort of clearance from the new Romulan government, so I assumed she applied to work there, not that she was recruited by them. And Dahj and her sister were in regular correspondence with each other, so there's no communications blackout or anything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DrBouvenstein posted:

That was Ray Wise (Arturis). He was great because he finally put Janeway in her loving place.

Arturis: You negotiated an agreement with the Borg Collective! Safe passage through their space. And in return, you helped them defeat one of their enemies.
Seven of Nine: Species 8472.
Arturis: In your colorful language, yes. Species 8472. Did it ever occur to you that there were those of us in the Delta Quadrant who had a vested interest in that war? Victory would've meant the annihilation of the Borg, but you couldn't see beyond the bow of your own ship!
Janeway: In my estimation, Species 8472 posed a greater threat than the Borg.
Arturis: WHO WERE YOU TO MAKE THAT DECISION?! A stranger to this quadrant!

Janeway was responsible for the assimilation of his entire species, save a few thousand. Makes you wonder how many more species she helped assimilate by defeating Species 8472.

Though maybe she made up for it between the combines effects of liberating the Borg that were all a part of Unimatrix Zero, and then her future self infecting them with a virus of sorts.
We also find out later that the Borg were the aggressors against Species 8472, and that ultimately Species 8472 was not a threat to the quadrant and were just confused as to why the hell these weird alien robots were invading their dimension

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

I didn't think it was meant to be secret - the Trill woman says she had to get some sort of clearance from the new Romulan government, so I assumed she applied to work there, not that she was recruited by them. And Dahj and her sister were in regular correspondence with each other, so there's no communications blackout or anything.
Yeah it's not secret, it's definitely some kind of joint project between the Romulans and some part of the Federation science departments. Most of the background extras are from Federation worlds like Andorians.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Arglebargle III posted:

Trip report: I started watching The Punisher as something mindless that wouldn't require thought. But it turns out it's really good! It's kind of the antidote to all these god-awful post 9/11 shows where agents at alphabet soup agencies make Hard Choices and do crimes to protect America. Netflix's Marvel's The Punisher is about the fallout back home from those dirty wars, and the main antagonists are the same people who would be protagonists on 24 and Homeland. It's kind of incredibly ballsy and even leftist to assert that your protagonist is going to assassinate the Deputy Director of the CIA and that's a correct moral choice.

Dude. Nobody gives a gently caress about your completely unrelated show so you can once again poo poo on DISCO which you don’t even watch.

And Picard, which you said you just stopped watching to go watch Punisher. What the gently caress is your life that you even care? This isn’t your thread.

Get. A. Life.

CaveGrinch fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 2, 2020

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Track titles are up for the first five episodes of Picard’s soundtrack.

Spoilers if you go searching. Nothing shocking, but...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CaveGrinch posted:

Track titles are up for the first five episodes of Picard’s soundtrack.

Spoilers if you go searching. Nothing shocking, but...

I guess this is the first confirmation that we will actually see Maddox show up? The question is whether it will be the original actor or not.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess this is the first confirmation that we will actually see Maddox show up? The question is whether it will be the original actor or not.

Track 26 has me more intrigued. Are we gonna see The Doctor show up? Or at least a version of him?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Track 26 has me more intrigued. Are we gonna see The Doctor show up? Or at least a version of him?
I can see why you would say that, but that title is so vague, who knows

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Setup for the new spin-off, Star Trek: Picardo

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CaveGrinch posted:

Dude. Nobody gives a gently caress about your completely unrelated show so you can once again poo poo on DISCO which you don’t even watch.

And Picard, which you said you just stopped watching to go watch Punisher. What the gently caress is your life that you even care? This isn’t your thread.

Get. A. Life.

lol you told someone else in the star trek thread to get a life ahahhaa

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also the Borg ship released from the artic ice in Enterprise made its transmission to the delta quadrant, not Romulan space.

What the gently caress. The borg were on Enterprise? How does that work?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lizard Combatant posted:

This guy could have been the Romulan lead, not that scraggly NuFolk troubador looking motherfucker, dangit

Hope that's not the last we get of Devilish Mr Angles.

For real. That guy looked cool, seemed cool, and he probably really cares for the security and the research being done there. I'll bet it was his idea to put up the "no assimilations since" sign.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

They were from First Contact.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

They were from First Contact.

I guess that solves a problem, but there are still others

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

PostNouveau posted:

Don't worry, the doctor from Ent cured his nanoprobe issue with like a CT scan, so nothing had to matter later.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

they managed to make it boring

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

It was a very "we're out of ideas so here's the Borg" episode. A science team finds the remains of the sphere from First Contact crashed in the Arctic and they start excavating it, only the drones reactivate, assimilate the research team and use their ship to try and escape back to the Delta Quadrant. Starfleet sends the Enterprise in to stop them, Phlox gets assimilated but then just kind of... gets over it. They blow up the ship and all the Borg are destroyed without a trace left behind, but then T'Pol goes "Oh, they sent a signal towards the Delta Quadrant right before the ship blew up with information on Earth's co-ordinates and humanity. It won't reach its destination for another 200 years, so we're probably cool... (THIS IS WHY THE BORG KNOW ABOUT THE FEDERATION AND ARE ON THEIR WAY TO SECTOR 001 IN TNG WHEN Q SHOWS UP, GET IT YOU STUPID NERDS?!)"

And then they just forget to tell United Earth and Starfleet about it. Another job well done for the NX-01 :buddy:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Modern Star Trek Megathread: Theorycrafting That Made My Borg A Romulan

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

The borg being like 30 years old don't make any sense. How'd they get to the delta quadrant and build a massive empire?

Freed drones like Picard, 7, etc should know the borgs history and would know if they were a new thing created by the romulans.

They did say the Zhat Vash secret was thousands of years old. Something like that. The word thousand was used.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

They did say the Zhat Vash secret was thousands of years old. Something like that. The word thousand was used.

I remember years ago when :bsg: was still on, there was some running speculation that the "God" the Cylons found out in the galactic wilderness which then told them to go back to the Colonies and bomb the poo poo out of them until all the humans were dead was actually some sort of eldritch alien ASI construct which they came to revere as a literal god. At least until they swung hard left and it turned it was Actually Just Literally God because Ron Moore thought he was making some kind of profound statement.

What if that's what's happening here, and that the Romulans, or at least the Zhat Vash found some kind of alien artificial superintelligence when they landed on Romulus or on their their exodus from Vulcan to Romulus and it was the "thou shalt have no other gods before me" kind of digital god? Hence why complex computers were taboo in Romulan society and androids/holograms were kill-on-sight targets for the Tal Shiar and others.

I mean, if I seem to recall correctly, the Zhat Vash are described as basically being a cult, am I right?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 2, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if Dahj and her sister ever wondered why they 100% identical, like even more than normal twins.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If they found records of dahj calling her sister, why don't they just look her up and find out where she is?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

If they found records of dahj calling her sister, why don't they just look her up and find out where she is?

They do know where Soji is. Narek is a Zhat Vash operative. His plan is gently caress to Soji into whatever scheme his superiors are running. "Rizzo" was sent to bring in Dahj and she went with "strike team and black bag" as her #1 option and it failed spectacularly. Narek's version is currently up in the air on its failure state. But Rizzo wants to try her "just black bag her" plan again on Soji because... uh... second time's the charm? :shrug:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
It’s all V’ger. Everything was V’ger.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember years ago when :bsg: was still on, there was some running speculation that the "God" the Cylons found out in the galactic wilderness which then told them to go back to the Colonies and bomb the poo poo out of them until all the humans were dead was actually some sort of eldritch alien ASI construct which they came to revere as a literal god. At least until they swung hard left and it turned it was Actually Just Literally God because Ron Moore thought he was making some kind of profound statement.

What if that's what's happening here, and that the Romulans, or at least the Zhat Vash found some kind of alien artificial superintelligence when they landed on Romulus or on their their exodus from Vulcan to Romulus and it was the "thou shalt have no other gods before me" kind of digital god? Hence why complex computers were taboo in Romulan society and androids/holograms were kill-on-sight targets for the Tal Shiar and others.

I mean, if I seem to recall correctly, the Zhat Vash are described as basically being a cult, am I right?

They are described as as secret society inside everything else to protect a secret and that they hate AI. Hatred of AI might speak more to how AI caused some really bad thing in the Romulans distant past more so than "actually all the romulans are robuts". Like to your point maybe they followed some AI god to leave Vulcan until they discovered the error of their ways. We know so little about Romulans really it could be drat near anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A whole conspiracy plot seems cliche for Star Trek at this point, but given it's the Romulans it seems overdue given that's supposed to be their entire thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if Sela is still alive. Since we're Romulaning things up it would be fitting to bring her in to gently caress with Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I wonder if Sela is still alive. Since we're Romulaning things up it would be fitting to bring her in to gently caress with Picard.

God Sela is the worst character, I really hope they don't ever bring her back or mention her again. What a horrible ending for Tasha, I hate it so much. Escaping her world of rape gangs to be in Starfleet, only to end up being raped and then executed by Romulans. Great.