Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Heather Papps posted:

i am sorry it's early, i am not attempting to imply you are this type of person, but that there are a lot of folk who spend more time worrying about other peoples lives than their own, and i don't understand it.

also i am sorry i am new to gbs and the grey forums are strange unto me

Yeah I do creative stuff so it's actually in my interest to understand the patreon model because I may consider it in the future, thank you for your apology. I had assume based on how much you post in this thread you would already be familiar with its ethos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Why are you alluding me to be a psychopath for asking how patreon works, seems rude

typing patreon pricing plan into google is one of three signs of a early psychopathy, along with bedwetting and firestarting

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

I psychopathically looked it up and Patreon's fees shouldn't take more than 15 - 20% at the most. They then send you a 1099 and from there you pay income taxes on it, so if you are in a 30% tax bracket then I guess it does come to around 45 - 50%.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He said "taxes and fees" so I imagine it's patreon's usurious fees on top of normal taxes. How we as a society have stumbled into relying on services that take a high flat percentage of what should be pass-through donations, I don't know, but it sucks. Nothing patreon does ought to earn them fees linear in the amount donated, it should be logarithmic at most.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Lol if the patreon cut is counted on your 1099 as an extra gently caress you on your taxes btw.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
those fees. patreon the company must be making more money than god :stare:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
lowtax should do like my friend does and intentionally make less money so he doesnt have to pay more taxes

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Tane

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He said "taxes and fees" so I imagine it's patreon's usurious fees on top of normal taxes. How we as a society have stumbled into relying on services that take a high flat percentage of what should be pass-through donations, I don't know, but it sucks. Nothing patreon does ought to earn then fees linear in the amount donated, it should be logarithmic at most.

Jeff if you could get the store to have a recurring donation people do it in a heartbeat. But that's devil coding at it's core to mess with the storefront I'd expect

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
thank god president bernie will lower taxes on the middle class

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Lol if the patreon cut is counted on your 1099 as an extra gently caress you on your taxes btw.

Uh yeah here's to hoping that the website is set up as a separate business...

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
has anybody made a joke about donating to both the patreon and the gfm at the same time and saying "now that's what I call paying 'Taxes"

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

rear end cobra posted:

those fees. patreon the company must be making more money than god :stare:

Actually they were told by the VC funding them two years ago to increase fees and earn more money. Because gently caress you

So they made a new credit card fee that took a percentage from each donation. Instead of a lump per month that was much smaller

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yeah I do creative stuff so it's actually in my interest to understand the patreon model because I may consider it in the future, thank you for your apology. I had assume based on how much you post in this thread you would already be familiar with its ethos

this thread has no consistent ethos.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Talking about how people are giving their money to patreon and the government instead of you probably doesn't make people want to continue doing so just fyi

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Jeff if you could get the store to have a recurring donation people do it in a heartbeat. But that's devil coding at it's core to mess with the storefront I'd expect

They'd have to get a payment processor that can do recurring donations. You don't want to try storing CC info as a regular business, it's a compliance nightmare. That said, I'm not betting on SA being PCI compliant anyway since the entire checkout process is hosted here

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
assuming 50% is an approximate number:

~24-32% taxes (income) + ~5-12% patreon fee + ~3-5% payment processing fees (+10-30 cents per transaction)

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Lowtax just give us your home address so we can mail you cash

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Talking about how people are giving their money to patreon and the government instead of you probably doesn't make people want to continue doing so just fyi

Lol no matter what he has to pay taxes. And as inept says we don't have recurring payments so patreons the best way unless people set reminders to donate on time.

And it's still better then loving paypal

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
lowtax start a true crime podcast if you want to start making the big patreon bucks

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

rear end cobra posted:

lowtax start a true crime podcast if you want to start making the big patreon bucks

he could do like 5 episodes on your posting

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
lol gotem

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene

rear end cobra posted:

I'm sure that would be funny, but doubtful he has time for silly side projects. I assume maintaining a website the size of SA is (more than) a full-time job.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

he could do like 5 episodes on your posting

he could also do an episode on this brutal murder that just occurred

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Create a Lowtax subforum for discussing all things Lowtax

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I think an annual event where we get to hunt the moderation staff with machetes and dogs would be a moneymaker

This.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
can you people stop, just for one day, fantasizing about killing people you disagree with?

just one day?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Il Federale posted:

he could also do an episode on this brutal murder that just occurred

Pretty psychopathic if you ask me but just slightly below googling patreon fees and taxes

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

can you people stop, just for one day, fantasizing about killing people you disagree with?

just one day?

That's not a very viking attitude.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

just one day?

You know what I want to murder? What i really want to just tear apart?

A New™ Reaper™ Ranch™ Double™ Stacked™ Taco™ from™ Taco™ Bell™

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

You know what I want to murder? What i really want to just tear apart?

A New™ Reaper™ Ranch™ Double™ Stacked™ Taco™ from™ Taco™ Bell™

they're gone already and replaced by nacho fries bullshit

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Lucavi posted:

I will pledge 5 dollars a month for fyad to open

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

man my list of crazy people is getting fuller by the day
checks list
heather papps
heather papps
heather papps
heather papps
heather papps
heather papps

hmmm, yes.

adds another heather papps to the list

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

communist kangaroo posted:

they're gone already and replaced by nacho fries bullshit

nacho fries were alright but I had some of those buffalo chicken ones and I really wanted to Think Outside My Bathroom™

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
lose the tortilla

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Lowtax posted:

Love how banning all these toxic idiot posters has caused my patreon to drop by almost $4000 a month now. It's cool that eradicating the trash from the forums will end up costing me financially by nearly $48,000 a year.

https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

Guess the lesson to be learned is to just stay the gently caress away from the forums and not do anything or say anything unless I want to go broke.

Patreons go down all the time. From the moment your patreon spiked to its highest point last year it slowly started to trickle downward. The recent stuff may have exacerbated it but it was going to lower to that point eventually. It's standard marketing, if people aren't being reminded of something they'll slowly just forget it. Coca Cola once stopped advertising their sodas under the belief that everyone already knows about it, and their sales went down a good deal. I would advise to once a year post a red text notice on the forums asking people to support the patreon to help keep the forums up. Leave it up for a month or so and people will probably subscribe to it.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Lowtax posted:

IRS is punishing me for owing like a billion dollars in back taxes, but the joke's on them because I DONT ACTUALLY OWN ANYTHING OF VALUE

i think this explains the taxes part

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Inept posted:

They'd have to get a payment processor that can do recurring donations. You don't want to try storing CC info as a regular business, it's a compliance nightmare. That said, I'm not betting on SA being PCI compliant anyway since the entire checkout process is hosted here

that's a pretty good point. maybe I should be using a special dedicated credit card with like a $10 max limit for any purchases

VikingSkull posted:

just one day?

I can't. I researched patreon once and now look at me

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Huh, I thought Donald Trump abolished taxes and that's why there's a zillion dollar deficit now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
five guys is my fave treat

i also like to eat at the fast food place called five guys sometimes tok