Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ed is a quirky but lovable alien companion doing his best to fit into human society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GlyphGryph posted:

This is an exceptionally long and packed chapter, but considering I'd like to know where this is all going I'm genuinely worried about adding this many new characters at this stage in the game...

After having done a brief archive dive to check for appearances for Penny and white spectral energy, I think the wrist injury has been good for Zach in a certain sense. Chapter 5 (and 4 for that matter) is insanely bloated and could've been done in half the pages. Chapter 6 in comparison is a masterwork of conservation of pages, panel layout, and efficient storytelling. Having to tell just as much story in half the number of updates has been really good for the comic, and has made every page amazing (especially after the buildup at the start of the chapter).

If anyone has time to kill on Sunday today, go back and skim through Chapter 5 now that you've read (most of) Chapter 6. It's like a completely different comic.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

After having done a brief archive dive to check for appearances for Penny and white spectral energy, I think the wrist injury has been good for Zach in a certain sense. Chapter 5 (and 4 for that matter) is insanely bloated and could've been done in half the pages. Chapter 6 in comparison is a masterwork of conservation of pages, panel layout, and efficient storytelling. Having to tell just as much story in half the number of updates has been really good for the comic, and has made every page amazing (especially after the buildup at the start of the chapter).

If anyone has time to kill on Sunday today, go back and skim through Chapter 5 now that you've read (most of) Chapter 6. It's like a completely different comic.

I don't think that necessarily has anything to do with the wrist injury. I think they are following the same pre-written script and this chapter is just a different format, intended to be more of a montage than the many-simultaneous-perspectives slice of life that Chapter 5 was.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 2, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

They

Edit: didn't occur to me mea culpa

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 2, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Polite not to quote so I can go back and fix it imho. Mea culpa as well

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 2, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

the darkest theory is they're burning through as many cool panel reveals because we're abotu to pivot to written updates with the occasional panel thrown in and reveals presented like this only work well in a visual medium. Gotta get them out of the way now!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

rannum posted:

the darkest theory is they're burning through as many cool panel reveals because we're abotu to pivot to written updates with the occasional panel thrown in and reveals presented like this only work well in a visual medium. Gotta get them out of the way now!

We already did this joke :negative:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

perhaps the comic is getting better not because of the wrist injury but due to zachs increasing experience in art and storytelling

I mean chapter 1 looks rough these days

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

People will probably disagree with me but chapters 3+4 we're probably the best art and writing wise. Neither have been hitting me as good since like the back half of hitball on.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Whitenoise Poster posted:

People will probably disagree with me but chapters 3+4 we're probably the best art and writing wise. Neither have been hitting me as good since like the back half of hitball on.

I liked 4's art the best. The colors were really vibrant and popped well. The recent chapters feel kind of blobby and there's a lot of pastel. 6 is coming closer to what 4 was, though.

The pages for Hitball's climax along with the teacher chase really showed how high Zack's potential could reach with panel layout and page composition, it was really quite amazing. My reservation about Chapter 5 is the extended scenes of banter in between the great pages and it really slowed down what could've otherwise been a very tightly paced chapter. There's barely any "wasted" (I don't like that term but I can't think of a better one right now) pages like that in Chapter 6, which is why I've been praising it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bear in mind that Zach basically destroyed their hands creating chapters 3 and 4. Good, yes. Sustainable, no.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I hope zach figures out a way to not ruin their hands. How do other artists get away with producing a lot of art without ruining their wrists? Is there a technique for it or is it also a matter of genes or some such.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Once you gently caress up your wrists that's kind of game over. Artists have to take special care to avoid compromising them and minimizing wrist strains because I don't think you ever fully recover from that. There's preventative measures you can take, but carpal tunnel is carpal tunnel. Don't push yourself too hard.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mindblast posted:

I hope zach figures out a way to not ruin their hands. How do other artists get away with producing a lot of art without ruining their wrists? Is there a technique for it or is it also a matter of genes or some such.

There are techniques that strain your wrists more than other. You'll generally want to avoid anything where you need to apply much pressure. You need to have your wrist and your fingers as relaxed as possible, don't crush your pen/pencil/brush/crayon/stylus in a death grip. Be as loose as possible, just tight enough to hold the pen and not one iota more. Some artists make a custom grip with sculpey or something like that to get a pen grip shaped for their hand instead of something just generic and round, this can be worth investigating. There's also the whole "draw with your arm, not your wrist" advice, i.e. try to move your hand from the elbow instead of from the wrist, so that your wrist works less. You can even train for that by using something like a wrist brace to force you not to move your wrist.

Alternatively, just make a bunch of templates and copy-paste them forever.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The author for SSSS also seems to take regular breaks with some sort of stretching regime very seriously to help prevent wrist issues as well

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xun posted:

The author for SSSS also seems to take regular breaks with some sort of stretching regime very seriously to help prevent wrist issues as well

Oh if they have the capability they should absolutely be seeing an occupational therapist: if they can't do it often due to cost, maybe try to manage at least once or twice to build up an ongoing management plan and exercise set on the best things to do whilst they continue drawing. Sadly I think they live in America, though. But yeah, this is basically a classic oc therapist scenario.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 4, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

armchair diagnosis and advice toward an invisible person not in this thread sucks a lot

like i get we're all worried about our cool comic hero zack but this hurtles toward weird and creepy every time

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

But someone was asking how artists in general prevent wrist strain? workplace safety sure is weird and creepy

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Patware posted:

armchair diagnosis and advice toward an invisible person not in this thread sucks a lot

like i get we're all worried about our cool comic hero zack but this hurtles toward weird and creepy every time

That's not what is happening here. At all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You know what's not creepy?

Getting carpal tunnel.

Go out and gently caress up your wrists, everybody, it's the only decent thing to do out here.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Patware posted:

It's too late for Zach we're trying to save others

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im not an artist but I do repetitive actions with my wrist a lot so this is all good stuff, thanks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The big thing you want to avoid is side to side motions. The wrist is not at all suited for that.

Using your elbow or shoulder for side-to-side is the best way to prevent wrist issues.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Xarbala posted:

Go out and gently caress up your wrists, everybody, it's the only decent thing to do out here.

I'm pretty sure this is how skaters are created.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

im not an artist but I do repetitive actions with my wrist a lot so this is all good stuff, thanks

Sir, please step away from the post button :cumpolice:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Bear in mind that Zach basically destroyed their hands creating chapters 3 and 4. Good, yes. Sustainable, no.

Sure, that's the excuse for the art change, but I don't think their wrist is stopping them from writing as many funny lines as they used to.

What I'm saying is hurry up and put Johnny back on screen. And Max.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-47

Nothing much to say about this page, the chapter is winding down and gorilla talk radio isn't over yet.

Hover-text:
is our DALLIANCE with the truth more than a mere FLING, or will we return the truth's MIXTAPE and THAT ONE BIG SWEATER THE TRUTH HAD YOU'VE BORROWED SINCE CHUPACON '99

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Just kiss the drat ape already!!!!! Shut him up with love's embrace!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Hover-text:
is our DALLIANCE with the truth more than a mere FLING, or will we return the truth's MIXTAPE and THAT ONE BIG SWEATER THE TRUTH HAD YOU'VE BORROWED SINCE CHUPACON '99
I'd go to Chupacon as I assume it's for cryptozoology. I imagine they have some kickass sweaters too.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

goddammit shut the gently caress up, bigfoot

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hey check out the face at the bottom right of Panel 3 here.

Doesn't that look like one of Serge's two lackeys?

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-166

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Username/post combo for the ages

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SKULL.GIF posted:

ZAAAAAAACK!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nah, he has different hair. But the choice to make him only partially visible in the previous panel could be deliberate.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
New page!

Beef wine and happy endings all round!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alt-text: "But the mask stays on."

People are getting what they wanted this page.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I love the Bigfoot pose. Classic Zack visual gag.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

my long personal nightmare of big foot's narration is finally over

now he can talk through their date, in peace, away from the comic

Next Chapter: Mothman & Bigfoot Go On A Date

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That's a drat good look, Mothman.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Professor Bigfoot's words becoming handwritten at the end...d'aww :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Oh no Mothman is handsome???