Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

ColdPie posted:

I want you to know this is your fault.

I've been playing around using an external sequencer. Seems you can get Accents on notes with high enough velocity (above 96 on the Deluge). Slide is achieved by overlapping notes. (Is Slide just avoiding retriggering the envelope, or something more?)

The biggest problem I've found is the TD-3's tempo doesn't "flywheel" (hold most recent tempo) in external mode. If you stop the external sequencer, the TD-3's sequencer just doesn't advance time at all, so it's awkward to try to tweak sequences on the TD-3 while using an external clock. If you use an external sequencer only, that's no big deal, but that Random button is killer and I hate to lose it. I guess switching between internal and external sources is easy enough that it's a good enough workaround.

I also noticed it had a bunch of patterns pre-programmed in. I don't recognize any of them, myself. I wonder if they're random, or new sequences they made, or what.

My biggest quibble was while midi syced the instructions for clearing patterns or otherwise editing weren't matching what I was seeing on my TD-3. When I went to internal sync the instructions responded the way it was expected to but not when in MIDI mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
How do people like the MS-101? I had a Roland SH01A and just never was able to get into it and really use it. Everything felt inaccessible and complex, and you had to do poo poo like dive through menus on a 4 digit screen to do stuff like activate polyphony.

I also was in a really rough place in life and my music space was unusable and so it literally collected dust until I sold it, along with a Minilogue, and a low/mid-tier keyboard controller that was way-too-big for the space or my desk.

The MS-101 seems way more usable and accessible. Also I have monitors to play it on. Also also it’s a monosynth- which might be great or not-great. I’m looking at it along with the other Behringers. Plus if I were to get one I kinda wanna do it before the colors sell out.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Mr. Dick posted:

If you've got basic electronics skillz, a passive 2 channel mixer is a pair of potentiometers and a few fixed resistors. An active mixer is that and an opamp.

You also live in a stereo world, as someone said a few posts ago about someone with a similar issue, hard panning, or wiring a pair of inputs to the left and right channels is viable.

I'm pretty dumb, but can follow instructions. The basic passive mixer instructions look easy. 2

such as
https://www.instructables.com/id/Passive-Audio-Mixer-w-Channel-Volume-Control/

I don't know how to adjust that to live in the studio world or how to add a power supply for opamp.

I could learn if it's presented for a simpleton.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Surge (now free) is supposed to do MPE.

Nice! The two recent additions that I'm enjoying the most are Pigments and Serum. Great MPE support in both, and they're just crazy good synths in general.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
For the instructables schematic you linked, Mr. Dick would alter it so that it's two mono inputs to one mono output (cut the input section off after the second stereo pair, then eliminate either the R or L channel). Mr. Dick would then try to stuff everything into an Altoids tin. If you can solder and drill, and have a weekend or two free, it would be pretty cool and help you to integrate your flesh body to the dimension of pure electronic synthesis.

There's no shortage of small, battery powered headphone amp kits and similar diy instructions on the web for building something not much more complex than that passive mixer.

Tayda has one:

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/electronic-kits/tea2025-2-channel-amp-or-1-bridged-channel-k203-3546.html

This is the first thing that comes up on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/47-Amp-DIY...SwAAOSwb39dlNW6

Again though, there are tons of options and a wealth of schematics and instructions and pcbs and kits.

Be forewarned that the initial upfront investment for all of this is a soldering iron and a multimeter. Which is $50-200 depending on how nice your iron and meter are. They're also absolutely essential if you ever need to fix or troubleshoot anything.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

16 steps sequence on X-track transposed 16 times by Y-track

How does the patching for this work exactly?

I’ve been putting together a 208hp rack that’s basically a mix of the Shared System and Tape and Microsound System, every time I feel like I’m starting to understand Tempi or René 2 I find something new that turns everything on its head.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

digging these!

anyone have any faux mastering solutions by chance? it would be nice to put out louder thumpier tracks for anything "serious" that i put out, something better than "slam a limiter for lufs" but short of a pay service like landr bc it's not that serious

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How do people like the MS-101?

i caved and ordered it this morning along with a td-3. i'll report back once i play around with it, but i suspect that it's exactly what i'm expecting, a reasonably faithful repro. fwiw, i plan on using it strictly for bass in a mostly minimal techno M-nus style context, with maybe a dash of synthwave or future beats now and then. i think this might be my last synth purchase actually, the station is filled up.

i'm actually surprised it doesn't get more attention of the behringer clone offerings. i think it's as "essential" as the x0x boxes to that vintage roland techno sound. i'm cool with that of course, i love a hidden gem sleeper.

sorry to hear about the rough patch and minilogue loss, i love the -logue series. they work so well for usable, musical bread and butter sounds, everything is sweet spot

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

sorry to hear about the rough patch and minilogue loss, i love the -logue series. they work so well for usable, musical bread and butter sounds, everything is sweet spot

Thank you! Looking forward to hearing what you think about the 101. Use it in keytar mode pls.

And ultimately selling the Minilogue was for the best, I wasn’t using it at all at the time, and it was an early enough specimen that I felt like its build wasn’t up to par. It had creaks and the wood plate wasn’t 100% true. Plus the XD is out now and I’d be lusting after how much more capable it is. Probably look at a module version down the road.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thanks for the encouragement. As I learn more about modular it helps me to post little clips and talk about how to achieve them. The majority of what I've been doing is East Coast style subtractive synthesis, but I do have some West Coast stuff like wavefolders. Today I'm working on using my modules more efficiently. I have this neat multi-mode 12 dB filter:

Sometimes I use a VCO as a drum voice, but lately I've been abusing low pass filters as sine oscillators to get kicks. Then I figure, well a sine is a sine and the frequency is low enough, why not abuse the multi mode filter get a kick and a snare? Signal chain ended up like this:

Filter resonance at max for oscillation, cutoff at 11 o'clock.
ADSR 1 -> Filter CV1 attenuated to taste -> VCA (hit with multed ADSR again) -> Kick out
ADSR 2 -> Filter CV2 attenuated to taste, Attenuated white noise to Input 2 -> VCA (hit with multed ADSR again) -> Snare out

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/drum-synthesis

Not the best sounding drum pair but it's an option to explore when you're short on gear. The filter itself is great for getting all sorts of specific sounds out. With reverb after and some wiggling the snare can be made into a nice Roland-style triple clap.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
New contender- Microfreak?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Microfreak is great, but it needs a reverb to come to life - Moreso than anything else I own.

The firmware updates and updated patches, as well as a ton of free packs are pretty great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Philthy posted:

Microfreak is great, but it needs a reverb to come to life - Moreso than anything else I own.

The firmware updates and updated patches, as well as a ton of free packs are pretty great.

Thats cool, I have a digital reverb that should work and if not there are reverbs to be had. How does it handle a keystep?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's Saturday!

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/saturday

Digitakt + Crave + TD-3 jam session

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Thats cool, I have a digital reverb that should work and if not there are reverbs to be had. How does it handle a keystep?

Haven't used the Keystep with it as I like touch keybed quite a bit. It's realllllly fast and seems way too easy to run scales up and down the keybed. Plus it can do a sort of MPE with pressing more of your finger on the key so you can do crazy effects. I can try it out tomorrow to make sure it works alright? Anything specific?

Edit: It's too bad we can't get a SoundCloud embedded player on here.

Maybe a mod can ask the powers that be to add this: https://blog.soundcloud.com/2009/07/28/soundcloud-player-in-forums-5-step-guide-for-soundcloud-bb-code/

Philthy fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 2, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Yarbald posted:

How does the patching for this work exactly?

I’ve been putting together a 208hp rack that’s basically a mix of the Shared System and Tape and Microsound System, every time I feel like I’m starting to understand Tempi or René 2 I find something new that turns everything on its head.

First, for the gates I self-patched tempi, one channel with a slow clock to the mod gate to mute/unmute my 1/16 channel every bar.

1/16 gates sent to X clock, 2/1 gate sent to Y clock.

Then for the transpose you can send the Y cv to the x-cv input with fun.add or fun.s&h active. But personnaly I just sent X and Y pitch to the 2 oscillators of DPO with "follow" set to max. It also sums the 2 pitch cv for the left oscillator. I used the x-cv input of rené for changing snake patterns every bar. CV from Y is also multed to all the other voices of the track.

The select bus connection between rené 2 and tempi has been a game changer for me. I hated the tempi shortcut for saving states so it is great I can do so through rené now. Also turning the state knob into a rate button is much more fun.

Check also the new morphagene firmware if you have one, it allows you to change the relative pitch of the grains appearing when you increase morph. It's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF9tW3ATqTQ

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 2, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pillow Face posted:

digging these!
Cheers!

Here's today's. It's gone a bit weird.

https://soundcloud.com/user-145826219/022020-02a

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

First, for the gates I self-patched tempi, one channel with a slow clock to the mod gate to mute/unmute my 1/16 channel every bar.

1/16 gates sent to X clock, 2/1 gate sent to Y clock.

Then for the transpose you can send the Y cv to the x-cv input with fun.add or fun.s&h active. But personnaly I just sent X and Y pitch to the 2 oscillators of DPO with "follow" set to max. It also sums the 2 pitch cv for the left oscillator. I used the x-cv input of rené for changing snake patterns every bar. CV from Y is also multed to all the other voices of the track.

The select bus connection between rené 2 and tempi has been a game changer for me. I hated the tempi shortcut for saving states so it is great I can do so through rené now. Also turning the state knob into a rate button is much more fun.

Check also the new morphagene firmware if you have one, it allows you to change the relative pitch of the grains appearing when you increase morph. It's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF9tW3ATqTQ

Thanks! That’s pretty clever, I’m gonna have to try it out. I updated the MG firmware too, it’s so much more useful than before.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I really need to start using my Morphagene again. Haven’t touched it in a while. I want to play around with using a mic for sampling my voice or random acoustic things instead of just using recordings. The only mic I have at hand is a zoom h1 and I hope it works well enough plugged directly into the module.. Only one way to find out I guess!

Here’s a (morphageneless) patch from earlier today:

https://twitter.com/antti_tiihonen/status/1223906805228507136

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I pulled the trigger on that EWI. It's just the MIDI controller version. The brass fingerings were too uncanny valley for my half remembered trumpet days, but I'm surprised how quickly I'm picking up the EWI fingerings. This is fun.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

So Math posted:

The brass fingerings were too uncanny valley for my half remembered trumpet days, but I'm surprised how quickly I'm picking up the EWI fingerings. This is fun.

The Ghost in the Shell of wind instruments

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think one of the local jazz club owners has one of these. He was teaching a group of guys and he had something that looked just like this, I was wondering what it was. Looks cool as hell!

Edit: Whoa, they're not too much. I thought they'd be thousands!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 3, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If you tripped out on the EWI, you should check out the Roland version, or the Yamaha venova

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'm making headway on my own wind instrument and am at the point now where I think I may be on to a serious product, so I'd like to piggyback on the ewi chat and ask around: do y'all feel like there's anything current wind instruments could improve on, anything you'd like to see in a wind synth that's not out there yet?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

snorch posted:

I'm making headway on my own wind instrument and am at the point now where I think I may be on to a serious product, so I'd like to piggyback on the ewi chat and ask around: do y'all feel like there's anything current wind instruments could improve on, anything you'd like to see in a wind synth that's not out there yet?

ok hear me out: dildo mouthpiece

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Keystep works fine via MIDI DIN to the mini-MIDI the Microfreak uses (They include 2 adapters). Arp and Sequencing work fine. Fast runs up and down the keyboard work fine. Works fine?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

snorch posted:

Put a little sponge on the exhaust. One that can be replaced.

Overblowing could be nice. Above a certain threshold on the pressure sensor, go up a perfect fifth. Then above a higher threshold, go up another perfect fourth, major third, minor third ... (These are for brass -- the intervals are different for different instruments.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Philthy posted:

Keystep works fine via MIDI DIN to the mini-MIDI the Microfreak uses (They include 2 adapters). Arp and Sequencing work fine. Fast runs up and down the keyboard work fine. Works fine?

Yay?! I guess it’s a serious contender now.

Admission- I’ve always had my eye on the Microbrute although it’s balls-old now and the keybed is total trash rear end.

Right now I got my eye on- microfreak, pro1, neutron, cat, d?, td3, maaaaybe crave (rather just save for m32 at that point), maaaaaybe save for minibrute 2, maaaaaybe save for ocoast/dreadbox/something odd

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

So Math posted:

Put a little sponge on the exhaust. One that can be replaced.

Overblowing could be nice. Above a certain threshold on the pressure sensor, go up a perfect fifth. Then above a higher threshold, go up another perfect fourth, major third, minor third ... (These are for brass -- the intervals are different for different instruments.)

I think Roland has been shipping their Aerophone with a sweatband to absorb the moisture, which I thought was pretty clever. Definitely not a fan of my WX5 dripping all over.

Overblowing could be neat to have on couple of patches. I think it's pretty simple to implement on trumpet and flute models at least.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

ok hear me out: dildo mouthpiece

This is the kind of forward-thinking that will make a million dollar winner. It shall double as a joystick for expressive control.

snorch fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 3, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Admission- I’ve always had my eye on the Microbrute although it’s balls-old now and the keybed is total trash rear end.

I feel stupid at least weekly for having gotten rid of mine. That filter section is spiky as all get-out.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Came home sat down pushed buttons twisted knobs while hitting record. Just another jam session. I'm kinda digging spontaneous sessions like this.

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/bleet

Digitakt Microfreak TD-3

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

february? no, jeb!ruary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAF-Otg0-_w

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Just got my Tascam 414 mkII and I like it a lot. I lucked out with one that's in pretty impeccable shape. Still kind of wrapping my head around the recording method (it's the first analog recorder I've ever used) but I'm pretty sure I know more or less how I'd use it in my setup. At least I know how I'd experiment to find out. The tape speed control is way more fun than it has any right to be.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I've been watching a bunch of Hainbach and I'm pretty sure I'll never know how to properly gently caress up a tape machine, let alone anything ambient or Frippertronics-y.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

This is absolutely fantastic.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

rickiep00h posted:

I've been watching a bunch of Hainbach and I'm pretty sure I'll never know how to properly gently caress up a tape machine, let alone anything ambient or Frippertronics-y.

i think the strymon el capistan can get one like 99% of the way there honestly, its basically a tape machine in a pedal and sounds almost as good as my friends old grundig for doing sound on sound type stuff. in fact hes borrowing it right now because for the things he uses tape for its way more reliable to just use the el cap and lie instead of going all analog.

Philthy posted:

This is absolutely fantastic.

danke, ive hit a point with the octatrack where its hard to imagine using anything else as a sequencing brain (cept for a cirklon but thats serious pipe dream level stuff). it seems like every new sequencer that comes out has some cool features but the sum of the parts just never equals up to something that can compare to the OT

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:vince: i clapped

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://soundcloud.com/user-145826219/03a

I'm a poo poo keyboard player it turns out. Might rerecord this properly sequenced at some point though, the melody didn't turn out half bad in parts, if I do say so myself.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Like this a lot! Reminds me of Warp stuff, in a very good way

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

:bisonyes:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Guys I was playing with VCV last night and made actual non-noob sounds, and managed to sequence them into something very short.

How long until I'm bankrupt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

nice tunes, you guys are rad @ synthing

just found that npr is doing their tiny desk and figured i'd pass the word along because it would be cool to see goon synth desk submissions.

https://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2020/02/04/802281228/the-tiny-desk-contest-is-back-for-2020

submissions open tuesday, feb 11 and ends monday, mar 30