Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Vernon Subutex by Virginie Despentes has a loser as protagonist. The titular character is a failed record shop owner, barely surviving in Paris, but also feeling above everyone else that can afford stuff like food or a place to live. It’s dire

Yo these books are really good though not necessarily fully about Vernon but a group of other losers as well. I'm still eagerly awaiting for the 3rd to come out in English - not sure my French is good enough to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

derp posted:

Just finished Notes from Underground. I really love these books about complete loving losers who think they are above everyone. Any other's to recommend? (Have read Pale Fire, Lolita and The Loser which also have similar vibes of what I'm looking for)

forums.somethingawful.com

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

thehoodie posted:

Yo these books are really good though not necessarily fully about Vernon but a group of other losers as well. I'm still eagerly awaiting for the 3rd to come out in English - not sure my French is good enough to read it.

Yeah, I’ve only read the first one but I really stuck with me. I used to be a poor bohemian in a big city and this book struck too close to home at times.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Menippean satire

Thanks for this BTW.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

derp posted:

Just finished Notes from Underground. I really love these books about complete loving losers who think they are above everyone. Any other's to recommend? (Have read Pale Fire, Lolita and The Loser which also have similar vibes of what I'm looking for)

Also all these Russian books constantly reference Pushkin. What Pushkin should I read?

Please read my favorite nonfiction book of all time: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini. The dude was a world class narcissist who also happened to be a legitimately talented sculptor who rubbed elbows with many of Renaissance Italy's brightest political and artistic lights. Every sentence is a masterpiece of total self-absorbtion and there are also enough duels and battles and imprisonments to keep things lively. It is also a detailed and interesting description of the time and place.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

cda posted:

Please read my favorite nonfiction book of all time: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini. The dude was a world class narcissist who also happened to be a legitimately talented sculptor who rubbed elbows with many of Renaissance Italy's brightest political and artistic lights. Every sentence is a masterpiece of total self-absorbtion and there are also enough duels and battles and imprisonments to keep things lively. It is also a detailed and interesting description of the time and place.

I saw him in Harold Bloom's list and read his wiki. Wild.

"In the attack on Rome by Charles III, Duke of Bourbon, Cellini's bravery proved of signal service to the pontiff. According to his own accounts, he himself shot and injured Philibert of Châlon, prince of Orange (allegedly Cellini also killed Charles III, Duke of Bourbon during the Siege of Rome)."

"On returning to Rome, he was employed in the working of jewellery and in the execution of dies for private medals and for the papal mint. In 1529 his brother Cecchino killed a Corporal of the Roman Watch and in turn was wounded by an arquebusier, later dying of his wound. Soon afterward Benvenuto killed his brother's killer – an act of blood revenge but not justice as Cellini admits that his brother's killer had acted in self-defense. Cellini fled to Naples to shelter from the consequences of an affray with a notary, Ser Benedetto, whom he had wounded. Through the influence of several cardinals, Cellini obtained a pardon. He found favor with the new pope, Paul III, notwithstanding a fresh homicide during the interregnum three days after the death of Pope Clement VII in September 1534. The fourth victim was a rival goldsmith, Pompeo of Milan."

"In 1548, Cellini was accused by a woman named Margherita, of having committed sodomy with her son, Vincenzo"

"Meanwhile, in Paris a former model and lover brought charges against him of using her "after the Italian fashion" (i.e. sodomy)."

TLDR: Cellini was a cool dude and I'm going to read his book.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Hi lit thread, I need your help. I've been asked to translate a piece of my choosing pertaining to "water" (yes, it's that broad) for a literary magazine. Preferably a short story, and it needs to be originally in English. Something to make the work stand out - an author that's promising but yet to break through, uniqueness in form, prose poetry, that kind of stuff - is a big plus.

Hopefully you guys can give me some good recommendations :)

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Do Moby Dick OP

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i am water

soft enough
to offer life
tough enough
to drown it away

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Water? I never touch the stuff. Very unhealthy. Fish gently caress in it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Budgie Jumping posted:

Do Moby Dick OP

Yeah in like chapter 1 he talks about the hood water has over the human spirit. It’s really good. But probably far too known for what op is after

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
yeah it cant already be translated

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lex Neville posted:

Hi lit thread, I need your help. I've been asked to translate a piece of my choosing pertaining to "water" (yes, it's that broad) for a literary magazine. Preferably a short story, and it needs to be originally in English. Something to make the work stand out - an author that's promising but yet to break through, uniqueness in form, prose poetry, that kind of stuff - is a big plus.

Can it be an essay? I read this piece in The Best American Science and Nature Writing from last year: https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/water/compassionate-substance

Not sure if it's popular enough to be already translated tho

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Cheers! Popularity is not a factor, only (literary) quality. If anything, too popular is an issue. I'll be reading this tonight. I'm sure an essay would be fine, though it'll depend on whether it qualifies as literary

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Lex Neville posted:

Cheers! Popularity is not a factor, only (literary) quality. If anything, too popular is an issue. I'll be reading this tonight. I'm sure an essay would be fine, though it'll depend on whether it qualifies as literary

idk if this thing from granta that is sort of about the waters of lourdes ever got translated:
https://granta.com/blue-hills-chalk-bone/

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lex Neville posted:

The question was whether or not it was "popular enough to be already translated", thus too popular for your purposes.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

CestMoi posted:

i am water

soft enough
to offer life
tough enough
to drown it away

I went to google a rupi kaur poem about water and saw this. thought for sure you just farted it out as a joke

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I love that poem because it’s Rupi Kaur coolly stating that she’s capable of murder.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I’m now convinced that Rupi Kaur writes poems intended to be tattooed on wrists, lower backs and ankles.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

derp posted:

I went to google a rupi kaur poem about water and saw this. thought for sure you just farted it out as a joke

it wouild take a lot of effort for me to come up with something as bizarre as describing water as soft, and then implying that that softness is the reason we are alive

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Budgie Jumping posted:

Water? I never touch the stuff. Very unhealthy. Fish gently caress in it.

What about the script to the fish loving movie from a couple years back

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

CestMoi posted:

i am water

soft enough
to offer life
tough enough
to drown it away

This makes me feel like I'm in a Hobby Lobby aisle with all the signs. A stranger tugs my elbow.

"Aren't these beautiful," they ask.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

The North Tower posted:

TLDR: Cellini was a cool dude and I'm going to read his book.

Cool, I hope you like it. All that stuff is in the book and lots of other fights and murders and weird poo poo like getting high with a mystical guy in the colosseum and seeing demons. My absolute favorite part happens after he gets imprisoned by the Pope but I don't want to give it away because it's too loving strange. If even half the stories he tells about himself are true, he led one of the most interesting lives of all time.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Started reading Raymond Queneau's Exercises in Style, in which he tells the story of a young man who gets into a fight on a tram and then is told he needs to sew a button on his overcoat, in 99 different styles. It's good.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Lex Neville posted:

Incarnations of Burned Children OP.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Nitevision posted:

Oof. This is my favorite short of his, likely cause it's so different from the other shorts.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Nitevision posted:

this is a great suggestion, cheers! will definitely make the list of proposals

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just got done reading Richard III by William Shakespeare. I found it to be... shallow and pedantic. Heh. Not really. It was pretty loving good.

Richard was a total rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo the whole time, but I feel like he just kind of shrugs and holds up his hands like "Eh" and carries on about his way without giving a single gently caress about anyone. I respect that.

I think it's the toughest play I've read by Shakespeare yet. The amount of different people and differing families felt like reading a screen play of Game of Thrones without any frame of reference about who's who. But I guess that is normal considering these people would have been much fresher in the public mind than they are ~500 years and a continent away.

I loved the language of the play, especially his interaction with Anne. He's so fuckin slimy and what a baller really. Richard was pretty much the incarnation of gently caress bitches get money in this play. I need to read more about the real man and actual accounts of his life. That will make for a much different perspective, I'm sure. Not sure if he was really as bad as they say. They found the poor bastard's remains in a grocery store parking lot or some such and VERIFIED the motherfucker through D N MOTHERFUCKING A. How cool is that?

All the characters being so sure that they are cool with him while he plans to kill them owns, too. Everyone thoroughly shits on him throughout the play.

Is Richard III the original incel? Or is he too successful with women to be classified as such? Or is he a legitimized something else?

drat goons this is spicy stuff get it on this with me if ye dare.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

vandalism posted:

I just got done reading Richard III by William Shakespeare. I found it to be... shallow and pedantic. Heh. Not really. It was pretty loving good.

Richard was a total rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo the whole time, but I feel like he just kind of shrugs and holds up his hands like "Eh" and carries on about his way without giving a single gently caress about anyone. I respect that.

I think it's the toughest play I've read by Shakespeare yet. The amount of different people and differing families felt like reading a screen play of Game of Thrones without any frame of reference about who's who. But I guess that is normal considering these people would have been much fresher in the public mind than they are ~500 years and a continent away.

I loved the language of the play, especially his interaction with Anne. He's so fuckin slimy and what a baller really. Richard was pretty much the incarnation of gently caress bitches get money in this play. I need to read more about the real man and actual accounts of his life. That will make for a much different perspective, I'm sure. Not sure if he was really as bad as they say. They found the poor bastard's remains in a grocery store parking lot or some such and VERIFIED the motherfucker through D N MOTHERFUCKING A. How cool is that?

All the characters being so sure that they are cool with him while he plans to kill them owns, too. Everyone thoroughly shits on him throughout the play.

Is Richard III the original incel? Or is he too successful with women to be classified as such? Or is he a legitimized something else?

drat goons this is spicy stuff get it on this with me if ye dare.

this is the worst post ive ever read in this thread

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Pretty much the sriracha bacon of Elizabethan theatre.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

You could say the thread was... Vandalized.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I regret the whole thing but there it is. Play is good though and as annoying as some of the parts were there is like 0.02 of value in there.

My post that is.

Wow goddamn what a lovely post I made. I'm going to print it out and flush it down the toilet.

I need a book to read that the rest of the forum is reading and maybe I'll offer up something novel in a different frame of mind.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 2, 2020

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Read sebald

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

vandalism posted:

I regret the whole thing but there it is. Play is good though and as annoying as some of the parts were there is like 0.02 of value in there.

My post that is.

Wow goddamn what a lovely post I made. I'm going to print it out and flush it down the toilet.

I need a book to read that the rest of the forum is reading and maybe I'll offer up something novel in a different frame of mind.

stop reading reddit

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i knew you didnt proofread yours

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nearly halfway through brothers and it’s remarkable Fyodor has remained unmurdered this entire time. Ivan is wonderful and the Grand Inquisitor lived up to the expectation

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s cool to really love something you read, but try to avoid memes when describing what you loved

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Moby Dick was mostly ftw but it was kind of tiresome how the whale would just Kramer in all the time and then Ishmael would whitesplain it, meanwhile Ahab kept showing his whole rear end, which was kinda cringey. But I have to admit that in spite of it being problematic, a lot of the story was fairly loving epic and there's all kinds of possibilities for shipping.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
what’s the spiciest incel baller fellow goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ahab is a messy bitch and that’s the tea sis