Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

The Muppets On PCP posted:

or former un general secretary boutros boutros ghali, and his wife mrs mrs ghali

lol :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Dewgy posted:

wow... double fascism! :eyepop:

If you put it through google translate to Japanese it comes out as "pensu" which is weird.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
who would win in a sumo match between dave friedman and alexander dumble

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I picture Henry Kaiser driving Howard like a Krang.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/Jf7AmQu.mp4

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Fender going all in on the blues dad market turning into a lovely ‘80s dad market.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I do like how there's no knobs at all. Actually, I kinda like it in general, except for the car stuff and the presumably ridiculous price. It looks a lot less like a strat than the average superstrat though, so the name is kinda dumb.

But yeah, it's definitely marketed to 80's bluesdads...

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It looks more like one of the Petrucci signature Music Mans than a Strat.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
In all seriousness I'd love it if somebody could come up with some device you could retrofit to regular guitars that could swap the pickup selection with MIDI.

Pressing one footswitch to change your amp channel, effects, and pickup selection at once would be amazing.

who would win in a sumo match between dave friedman and alexander dumble

Depends on who has the best mastery of the deadly Crystal Lattice choke hold. Fragile harmonics just can't survive in it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 2, 2020

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

GreatGreen posted:

In all seriousness I'd love it if somebody could come up with some device you could retrofit to regular guitars that could swap the pickup selection with MIDI.

Pressing one footswitch to change your amp channel, effects, and pickup selection at once would be amazing.

Depends on who has the best mastery of the deadly Crystal Lattice choke hold. Fragile harmonics just can't survive in it.

Music Man Game Changer is a digitally-controlled pickup switching system with MIDI input that let's you select individual coils, circuit order, and phase, amongst others. They only made it available in one guitar and one bass though - presumably because the world just didn't need a guitar with a thousand switching options.

The Variax stuff had an option to interface with the POD HD (which was the flagship at the time) so it changed your guitar model/pickup as you selected different patches. I'm not sure if they brought that over to Helix but can't see why they wouldn't.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

darkwasthenight posted:

Music Man Game Changer is a digitally-controlled pickup switching system with MIDI input that let's you select individual coils, circuit order, and phase, amongst others. They only made it available in one guitar and one bass though - presumably because the world just didn't need a guitar with a thousand switching options.

Did it default to Dumbass Mode with options exactly like a 3-way switch? If not I can see why it failed.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Reposting from elsewhere (mostly since this is the closest in feel to a chat thread inside Musician's Lounge):

Julias posted:

Hey guys! For Black History Month the TGRS forum is doing a charity drive for the Transwomen of Color Collective, a nonprofit group run by and for Transwomen. They have a fund that helps women get off the street or help them escape abusive situations. If you would like to help donate and show solidarity with fellow goons, you can post about it here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913138

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

I saw something like this, I wanna say it was one of the guys from neurosis or some other post metal thing. It was a midi controlled box that switched between inputs, and the dude had separate outs for each pickup on his guitar. Can't remember the deets but I think it was on a rig rundown video.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Yeah the Music Man guitar was doomed to instant failure since it was available in one of their less cool looking bodies and was never expanded upon. I think it would have been cool if it could send and transmit CC data so you can control other MIDI gear with it, but that wasn't in the cards.

If you have a two pickup guitar, just run a stereo Y cable from it, and then plug that into a loop switcher thingie that accepts MIDI. You wouldn't be able to do coil taps, but that's a much, much cheaper and accessible solution.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Rifter17 posted:

If you have a two pickup guitar, just run a stereo Y cable from it, and then plug that into a loop switcher thingie that accepts MIDI. You wouldn't be able to do coil taps, but that's a much, much cheaper and accessible solution.

That’s a really good idea actually. Setup your guitar to accept TRS cables. Set the tip to be controlled by the pickup selector and the ring to always output the neck pickup. Plugging in a normal cable would make the guitar behave normally, plug in a TRS cable and select the bridge pickup with the pickup selector for “stereo“ pickup output, and select which pickup you want externally.

The only real hitch I see in a design like this would be that each pickup would have to have its own independent volume and tone controls, like a Les Paul, for it to work. Still though, it could work.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't Schecter already doing something similar with some guitar that they had Active and Passive PUPS on the guitars and they worked/sounded fine without all that much additional weight?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That guitar has carbon fiber so you can go faster.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Saleen HQ is a few miles from Fender HQ I wouldn’t be surprised if the executives chomped cigars together and do blood rituals and stuff.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i thought fender corporate moved to arizona

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I would probably set it up with a switch that either sends the pickups direct to a TRS jack or passes the signal through to onboard electronics. That way you can use a normal setup too.

Then use a stereo Y cable that then goes to something like a Voodoo Labs GCX switcher. You can use some cables that would then change the phase if you want too. You would lose any onboard controls. But you could then route the signal into a Source Audio EQ pedal. That will let you do any volume shifts and tone shaping as well.

I thought too much about this because I have a Yamaha Attitude bass that has separate outputs for each pickup.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i thought fender corporate moved to arizona

Oh absolutely but Scottsdale is where Steve Saleen met them boys I’m sure.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
$33k for that thing. gtfo

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I prefer my fiber soluble.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Philthy posted:

Sounds reasonable

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My favorite stupid bullshit story about Saleen is how their famous "original" car is an Aston Martin that Saleen "acquired" and claimed credit for:

https://jalopnik.com/the-mysterious-disputed-birth-of-americas-greatest-sup-1675129620

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i thought saleen's whole deal was they just slapped bigger engines and goofy bodies on ford frames

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just finished that article and the first reply in the comments was super-cool also. Great stuff!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Doesn't a Rickenbacker 4001 have separate outputs for each pickup? Of course, that's a somewhat niche bass and not a guitar...

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

BonHair posted:

Doesn't a Rickenbacker 4001 have separate outputs for each pickup? Of course, that's a somewhat niche bass and not a guitar...

All the deluxe series rickenbackers (360, 4003, 620/660, 381, a few others) have the Rick-o-sound circuit which is yes, stereo wiring. Basically it's just a mono socket and a stereo socket next to each other and you have to use a Y cable or one of their expensive breakout boxes to use the stereo socket. Primitive compared to the Music Man stuff but works.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Fender going all in on the blues dad market turning into a lovely ‘80s dad market.

Fender, please buy Steinberger. :pray:

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Philthy posted:

lmfao the final resting place for those guitars will be the wall of a hedge fund managers condo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd rather spend money on this motherfucker that I know for a fact will take a beating than buy a loving coked-fueled purchase guitar.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Not gonna lie this is hilariously tacky and I want one. If only to figure out what the sound is when you mash clutch, break, and gas all at once with that thing.

e: $33,000!?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Not gonna lie this is hilariously tacky and I want one. If only to figure out what the sound is when you mash clutch, break, and gas all at once with that thing.

e: $33,000!?

for extra :guillotine: check out the slogan on the license plate of the car.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wark Say posted:

I'd rather spend money on this motherfucker that I know for a fact will take a beating than buy a loving coked-fueled purchase guitar.

This looks pretty cool, I would love to try it. I have no clue how non-wood guitars sound and feel, but I imagine they must be light at the very least.

Also, are the pedals on the fender thing not just cosmetic? Because either way, I could definitely sell a custom pedalboard made to look like the floor of a car. I guess it would be a wah for the speeder, volume for the break and boost for the clutch?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BonHair posted:

This looks pretty cool, I would love to try it. I have no clue how non-wood guitars sound and feel, but I imagine they must be light at the very least.

Also, are the pedals on the fender thing not just cosmetic? Because either way, I could definitely sell a custom pedalboard made to look like the floor of a car. I guess it would be a wah for the speeder, volume for the break and boost for the clutch?
If you're making a pedalboard that looks like looks like the floor of a car you'd be crazy not to have a dead pedal. :rock:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bunch of chuds in Facebook guitar land (about 90% of the population) are screaming “taxation is theft!!” until they burst a vessel over Reverb charging sales tax. It is kind of bullshit to not have a better framework for defining a business versus casual private sales but their reactions are, of course, totally unhinged and hilarious. Oh and some arbitrary and rather casual racism gets thrown in, naturally.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
but it's the free market deciding to pass tax collection onto the consumer they should be applauding it

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

for extra :guillotine: check out the slogan on the license plate of the car.

I wish I hadn't seen that. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Bunch of chuds in Facebook guitar land (about 90% of the population) are screaming “taxation is theft!!” until they burst a vessel over Reverb charging sales tax. It is kind of bullshit to not have a better framework for defining a business versus casual private sales but their reactions are, of course, totally unhinged and hilarious. Oh and some arbitrary and rather casual racism gets thrown in, naturally.

I mean, it's not just Facebook. It's everywhere anyone discusses buying poo poo online.