Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

The show looks so good visually since Chibnall took over but the TARDIS interior is the one place it all falls apart and it's such a drat shame.
Hooo doggies is it ever gently caress-ugly.

Better this season, but still bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm watching it again. Doctor Ruth kills it and her TARDIS rules. I hope our Doctor realizes she needs to go old school after this run in.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Clara was Capaldi's most iconic and character-defining companion, no question. I really loved that she came off as the Doctor's peer and equal, rather than his Watson. By the midway point of his run, they were both equally competent, solving mysteries together, and her ending reflected that.

Bill was a bit underutilised, I thought. And her ending was way too sad! The Doctor straight up just failed her and never really made up for it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

As someone mentioned, it felt a bit off that both black companions (I’m counting Danny) got cyber-converted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

As someone mentioned, it felt a bit off that both black companions (I’m counting Danny) got cyber-converted.

At least Bill got turned into sentient water in the end. I still found her to be just sort of there. She really made no mark on the Doctor or the series.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I thought being absorbed into a personality destroying puddle of space piss was absolutely the worst ending to a companion since Peri maybe married Brian Blessed.

It's just loving terrifying tbh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Imagine not wanting to marry Brian Blessed :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Imagine not wanting to marry Brian Blessed :colbert:

Brian Blessed probably doesn't want to marry Brian Blessed

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Android Blues posted:

Clara was Capaldi's most iconic and character-defining companion, no question. I really loved that she came off as the Doctor's peer and equal, rather than his Watson. By the midway point of his run, they were both equally competent, solving mysteries together, and her ending reflected that.

Bill was a bit underutilised, I thought. And her ending was way too sad! The Doctor straight up just failed her and never really made up for it.

Pearl Mackie gave such an enthusiastic and engaged performance, it was great, even if Bill didn't have much of an arc.

The line "The Doctor doesn't use weapons" line. That...seems like a stretch.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Rule #1: The Doctor lies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

OldMemes posted:

Pearl Mackie gave such an enthusiastic and engaged performance, it was great, even if Bill didn't have much of an arc.

The line "The Doctor doesn't use weapons" line. That...seems like a stretch.

Maybe it's because that line took place in the classic TARDIS console room, but when Jodie said that line (and got a bit of a derisive response) I took it as a deliberate take on that actually being a very New Who concept, which doesn't work if you put it against Ruth, who's clearly a new version of a Classic Who Doctor.

Time to post the thread favorite video on exactly this point!

https://youtu.be/lzmnPs64K74

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Clara was great as soon as they got past that impossible poo poo. I was sad to see her go.

:agreed:

Voting Floater posted:

Agreed on Bill being the superior companion though. She's probably my second-favourite revival-era companion after Donna.

That's a funny way to spell "Nardole" :colbert:

I liked the episode but I was very burned by the spoilers. Google newsfeed a few hours after the episode aired "DOCTOR WHO CASTS FIRST BLACK FEMALE DOCTOR" with a pic, and before I saw the ep I was spoiled on Jack, as well as him not coming back this season.

Just like the Master. I really would have liked to be surprised on these things.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Rory is still the best (apart from Donna)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Astroman posted:

:agreed:

That's a funny way to spell "Nardole" :colbert:

I liked the episode but I was very burned by the spoilers. Google newsfeed a few hours after the episode aired "DOCTOR WHO CASTS FIRST BLACK FEMALE DOCTOR" with a pic, and before I saw the ep I was spoiled on Jack, as well as him not coming back this season.

Just like the Master. I really would have liked to be surprised on these things.

I don't get why google has to spoil literally everything if you're slightly interested in it. if I enjoy watching a show, I'm going to find out what happens in it, I don't need a notification about it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Micky was the best. He was so immature.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Matt Lucas definitely rivals Bradley Walsh for how weirdly excellent he was. I went in expecting him to be dreadful, but he was such a delight.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get why google has to spoil literally everything if you're slightly interested in it. if I enjoy watching a show, I'm going to find out what happens in it, I don't need a notification about it.

It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to tell it to stop showing me all DW related content and saying I'm not interested in it.

The bigger problem though is the writers of the articles, who are rushing to put their hot takes up within an hour of the airing, with a spoiler laden headline and screencaps as thumbnails.

As annoying and twee as I think the "Let's talk about THAT SCENE in last night's Doctor Who!" headlines are, I prefer them to "Doctor Who's New Master!" with a pic of him. :rolleyes:

I'm not an anti spoiler maniac by any means. I read the spoiler thread on here when I'm caught up on the show, and I like to hear about broad strokes of plot and casting. But when there's what is clearly meant to be a shock surprise, like the various Master reveals, Doctor Ruth, Night of the Doctor or The Curator, I'd rather not know. Which is why I don't venture into this thread til I've seen the episode.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 2, 2020

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah clickbait spoilers are the worst. I've had a few from The Walking Dead, since I tend to watch that a few days after it airs, and whenever there's a big divergence from the comics, my feed gets clickbait.

The suprises this series of Doctor Who have been great, because they've been, well, surprises. I did think they were light on the promos for the show this year, but I guess it helps to play things quiet sometimes.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I was spoiled on Captain Jack returning. But that turned out to be a good thing because I was completely unprepared for what came next.

Wow.

Now, this is what a good episode of Doctor Who looks like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In thinking about it, I was all riled up about being spoiled on Jack so I was totally unprepared for Ruth and it really evens poo poo out when I think about it. I was all outraged and then that happened and I went to 100% WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT in 3 seconds.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Getting spoiled on Jack and then blindsided by Ruth was amazing

"Oh you thought THAT was the big reveal? SURPRISE!"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I just watched Fugitive of the Judoon and really enjoyed it. They're setting up something interesting this series.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Feels like lot going on this week, but I'm not hating it so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Uhhh... why did Yaz wait till now to bring this up?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I will say that the spasming and turning to dust the victims are doing is a pretty decent (and creepy) effect.

Jerusalem posted:

Uhhh... why did Yaz wait till now to bring this up?

Its giving Yaz something to do that isnt exposition, lets just accept it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Also, "2 girls roaming" is not as good a name as "2 girls 1 trip".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"We didn't teleport into an active volcano... result!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that was just a fun and perfectly fine episode v:shobon:v

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Agreed! I enjoyed that one, no major complaints.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

"look at you, running off by yourself and not getting killed :D"

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Perfectly serviceable Doctor Who. Nothing special, or really stand out, but a nice palate cleanser after last week's big episode.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Bet Matthew Waterhouse will have a thing or two to say about the ending...

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Liked that.

Could have done without another pollution message though, certainly not 2 in one season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

Bet Matthew Waterhouse will have a thing or two to say about the ending...

I don't see how the two are in any way comparable, in this episode the Doctor saved somebody who she liked and valued as a person.

Mr Beens posted:

Could have done without another pollution message though, certainly not 2 in one season.

Personally speaking I don't mind that at all, hell if anything it reminds me of the Pertwee era which was a gigantic part of my childhood.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
So they just let the alien scientist's friend die on the beach and never mentioned him again?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poor dude really got the short end of the stick in this story. At least the travel lady got to get a free trip out of the whole thing.

Edit: Also, Yaz's disappointment when she realized she was just in a garbage dump and not an alien planet was great :allears:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, but probably destined to be one of those episodes that I have to google when I see its title in a discussion.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wonder what story Astronaut guy will tell the news when he's not dead

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I wonder what story Astronaut guy will tell the news when he's not dead

"I suppose you're wondering why I didn't come back to Britain from spac-"
"No no, Brexit passed so nobody really blamed you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The early part of this episode had strong Birdemic vibes though thankfully it wasn't quite that direction.