Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

tango alpha delta posted:

tldr: Once you understand how computers actually work, technology like blockchain, bitcoin, cryptography and literally everything else that computers do becomes much easier to understand and you will be far less likely to be fooled by a bunch of pseudo techno bullshit.

i do things like occasionally lobby to politicians why bitcoin is bad and blockchain is nonsense

the most amazing thing was when Alex Sobel MP (soft lefty, Labour Co-Op) and Steve Baker MP (arch Brexiter hard case), who agree on absolutely nothing and are bitterly opposed politically, had identical opinions on blockchain: that a linked list is not exciting and not magical, and selling it as either is basically a con.

the key factor here is that, despite their opposite politics, they both have degrees in computer science, know precisely what a blockchain is and how it works and are deeply professionally unimpressed by nonsense wrapped in tech bafflegab.

as a technology, blockchain has had no innovation since at least 2003, yes I said two thousand and three, when David S.H. Rosenthal (a comp sci prof who made his bundle as one of the early guys at NVidia) made a system using a Merkle tree ledger, voting and proof of work. Only he didn't call it a revolution in money and sell it to gullible libertarians - because this was all very well-known stuff. Here's his blog post on bitcoin's technological antecedents.

i also did a talk to an infosec crowd in 2018 on wtf a blockchain actually is, if you have about 50 min to spare (or it's quite watchable at 1.25x).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
not being able to fix bugs in code running on ethereum is funny, but it kinda had to be designed that way - if people were able to fix bugs, they would also be able to insert code that sends all the money in the contract to themselves

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

why it's almost as if the idea of smart contracts is actually idiotic and promoted by people with no understanding of law, practical computing, human nature, or their own hubris

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

ymgve posted:

not being able to fix bugs in code running on ethereum is funny, but it kinda had to be designed that way - if people were able to fix bugs, they would also be able to insert code that sends all the money in the contract to themselves

Good news! You can still do that. Check out the DAO

kw0134 posted:

why it's almost as if the idea of smart contracts is actually idiotic and promoted by people with no understanding of law, practical computing, human nature, or their own hubris

Techbros and AM/FM

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

ymgve posted:

It's almost as if having computer code as the basis of a currency is an inherently bad idea.

It's like when I was a kid and played, oh I dunno, Sonic 1 on the Genesis and was blown away at how awesome it was and how tight the controls were and how seemingly rock solid and perfect it was at release. And then 20 years later you see the speedruns of it and see how many glaring holes there were in the programming and logic and how easy it is to exploit and totally break by a skilled player.

Now imagine that game (unpatchable by design) which seemed so perfect and rock solid on release in 1993 as the basis of all human currency.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I can say I’m all sincerity I’ve read almost every post in this thread and I still have no idea how half this poo poo works.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

holy poo poo, remember bitcoins? the whole thing was absolutely insane. like, there was that one pedo guy who had a Bitcoin tv show and then goons made his phone vibrate off the table on air?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

TheBizzness posted:

I can say I’m all sincerity I’ve read almost every post in this thread and I still have no idea how half this poo poo works.

In fairness, neither do 99.99% of posters here

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I guess loving "cryptocurrency" makes a lot of sense from a libertarian perspective since you have no faith in the concept of administrative control over technical control.

The US Dollar has lots of "technical" controls on it, such as anti-counterfeiting etc etc but the real power behind the currency is the organization which administers it (US GOV). This concept is impossible for libertarians to get behind thus crypto currencies with their seemingly (but not really) perfect technical controls makes it look very appealing.

Also greedy idiot syndrome.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Question for the thread: are anarchists libertarians?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ymgve posted:

Not being able to fix bugs in written code once it goes to the blockchain is one thing, but then consider that the bugs in the language itself from this post
have a very difficult time being fixed because you have to get 51% of the miners to agree to move to the next point version of Ethereum. Imagine if every time MS discovered a bug in their OS they had to get a majority of people to vote yes to release an update?

xtal posted:

No. Randian Libertarians want all the structures & protections of society that we have now, but poor people get excluded from them because they don't pull their weight. Anarchists are against the present structures of society full stop. An ultra libertarian things an indentured servitude contract is fine because Contracts Are Sacred, and the gov't shouldn't be able to unilaterally nullify it. Anarchists think all contracts are bad.

Libertarians want private police, anarchists want no police. Both of them end up with Somalia.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

have a very difficult time being fixed because you have to get 51% of the miners to agree to move to the next point version of Ethereum. Imagine if every time MS discovered a bug in their OS they had to get a majority of people to vote yes to release an update?

That would be a LOL.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true
Libertarians believe that the only legitimate government is the minimum state which does not violate individual's rights as its functions are limited to protection of individuals against force, theft, fraud and enforcement of contracts. However, it's only through the actions of the immoral state that created the distribution of wealth enjoyed by libertarians today. By libertarians own description of the moral state the redistribution of wealth is, not only justified, but necessary. As you might imagine they are against this.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

divabot posted:

i also did a talk to an infosec crowd in 2018 on wtf a blockchain actually is, if you have about 50 min to spare (or it's quite watchable at 1.25x).

This was a great and informative talk, thank you for posting it. You do stellar work.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Klyith posted:

Libertarians want private police, anarchists want no police. Both of them end up with Somalia.
At least the libertarians might be able to keep a power grid together long enough to mine a bitcoin before the unregulated coal burning chokes them to death.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I keep misreading the word "libertarian" here and wondering why you guys are saying that the nice old ladies who work at the library have such destructive and unsustainable ideas about human societies. I mean they seem like such nice old ladies

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
That's what they want you to believe. Have you tried asking them about bitcoin?

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
We'll have the Dewey decimal system on the Blockchain.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

zedprime posted:

Did someone say Ethereum

And it gets even better when you find out that the programming language involved makes it easy to write incorrect code:

:stare:

Holy poo poo. I wouldn't trust that to concatenate two text files, let alone... hell, anything else.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm trying to imagine how much education someone must have gotten to think they could write a computer language when nearly anyone who has such knowledge should immediately scream at the idea.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

xtal posted:

No.
http://anarchism.pageabode.com/afaq/secF1.html

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

divabot posted:

Giving a talk at Royal Holloway is baller as hell. I bought 50ft Blockchain for my dad a few years back.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true

drat, great article. I came to a lot of the same conclusions about libertarians

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

divabot posted:

I've directed a few people to your site. Thank you, this is great.

Here's my rant for the visually impaired coiners, which is redundant, now that I think about it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-710437758/pseudo-techno-bullshit

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 2, 2020

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

LethalGeek posted:

I'm trying to imagine how much education someone must have gotten to think they could write a computer language when nearly anyone who has such knowledge should immediately scream at the idea.

Christian Reitwiessner is an actual Ph.D computer scientist, so he has literally no excuse for this thing

tango alpha delta posted:

I've directed a few people to your site. Thank you, this is great.

There's also the non-technical version of the talk - that one was to market researchers, so totally for non-techies.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr Gerard have you looked into the study that Coinbase did a while ago that claims that 60% or whatever of Bitcoin is powered by renewable energy? It smells like massive amounts of bullshit.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

spankmeister posted:

Mr Gerard have you looked into the study that Coinbase did a while ago that claims that 60% or whatever of Bitcoin is powered by renewable energy? It smells like massive amounts of bullshit.

I'm not a divabot-level expert, but I actually wouldn't be surprised. It wouldn't be out of any high-mindedness on the part of Bitcoiners: they locust-swarm cheap, abundant power, which happens to be largely hydroelectric. While some of them talk about 'preventing waste', electricity is mostly fungible (at least across a grid region); eating up a lot of sustainable power means that it's not available for anything else, and eventually someone's going to get stuck burning coal.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 2, 2020

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

spankmeister posted:

It's true because mining is mostly done in areas like Sichuan China where electricity is cheap due to hydropower.

https://coinsharesgroup.com/research/bitcoin-mining-network-december-2019 - you can put in a nonsense email to view it.

Bitcoin mining is tolerated in such areas until it's not, e.g. it was banned in an upstate New York city after mining farms started gobbling up 11.2 megawatts per month and the city was forced to buy more electricity from non-renewable sources.

https://www.pressrepublican.com/news/local_news/city-seeks-moratorium-on-currency-plants/article_700695bf-16dc-5da8-9bb0-46e5a5bce70c.html

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
yeah basically

the new hotness (<-- global warming pun) is bitcoin miners trying to buy up obsolete coal power plants so they can burn coal to make pedo pesos

thankfully the scam is usually to get tax breaks, and never to proceed to actually restarting the plant that literally shut down in the first place because it wasn't economically viable

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Pedo pesos is the best bitcoin name.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I only hovered over one of those links but why is siberia supposed to be a good place to mine bitcoins in :confused:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Clitoris posted:

drat, great article. I came to a lot of the same conclusions about libertarians

Anarchists and Marxists are really great sources when you want to point out flaws in other people's systems.

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's true because mining is mostly done in areas like Sichuan China where electricity is cheap due to hydropower.

Also keep in mind that China lies a whole lot about their power grid and what their proportions of clean vs emissions-producing are.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Sickening posted:

I like dunning-kruggerands

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

EorayMel posted:

I only hovered over one of those links but why is siberia supposed to be a good place to mine bitcoins in :confused:
I imagine either because it has a lot of coal/gas which wouldn't have to be transmitted or they could have their own hydro or wind farm. Since that article is from 2017 I'm not sure I would put Russia as a good place to mine from anymore.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

There really are so many good names. I thought there was a list once but don't know where it went.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

EorayMel posted:

I would assume because it's so cold, you save on cooling costs.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

EorayMel posted:

It's cold (saves on cooling costs) and has a lot of cheap Soviet-era hydro power. Power was at the time about 4¢/kwh. There are also a lot of more-or-less empty buildings you can shove full of mining hardware for minimal costs, instead of having to build your own or compete with productive interests.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Sickening posted:

Also works perfectly because in spanish, "pedo" means fart so it means "fart bucks". Also being "en pedo" means being drunk or delusional, so that's another perfect fit, and "al pedo" means something like "effort for nothing".

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i hope this is a timeline where warming russian permafrost leads to a massive methan sinkhole explosion and takes out a buttmining op.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Yeah, that's my personal fave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Sickening posted: