Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

lmaooo his base is gonna be like Centralia, PA, except with ammo cooking off for 250 years instead of coal burning :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
T5 androids regularly punch someone's limbs/head clean off. It's just a thing they do. Made the one I had really suck when it had a tantrum.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why the hell does he keep leaving piles of ammunition in the main corridors???

Like I put ammo in my defence bunkers but I explicitly put it behind walls away from where people actually stand.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ammo in your defence bunkers won't do you much good if someone goes nuts in the middle of your base!!

:v:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

i have like a hundred hours of this stupid game and i still can't parse what's happening here

modded rimworld is an entirely different game

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Can't you just have your pawns carry a spare mag or three at all times while leaving the giant stockpile of boom somewhere better armored that they can resupply at leisure from?

Cease to Hope posted:

i have like a hundred hours of this stupid game and i still can't parse what's happening here

modded rimworld is an entirely different game

A mod called Combat Extended adds ammunition to the game for all guns and numerous other mods add small structures that can store many stacks of things. One pawn threw a grenade, which blew up a storage rack, which had basically everything in it including apparently a cubic fuckton of ammunition. This ammunition promptly exploded, with explosives obviously exploding and filling the area with fire and thanks to Combat Extended the stored bullets all fired off in random directions. And there were apparently thousands of bullets thus everything in the area got massively ablated for a prolonged period which killed more pawns and set more fires.

In short, follow OSHA guidelines with regards to separate storage of volatile items and make sure to split up any... excessive... stockpiles of potentially hazardous material. Otherwise, enjoy learning why those guidelines were created in the first place.

Complications fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 2, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Well yes, absolutely that's what a sane person would do, have either a central magazine or smaller distributed ones like OwlFancier to resupply from.

But then we wouldn't be getting these amazing videos!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Complications posted:

In short, follow OSHA guidelines with regards to separate storage of volatile items and make sure to split up any... excessive... stockpiles of potentially hazardous material. Otherwise, enjoy learning why those guidelines were created in the first place.

do not put explosives in your bag of holding, got it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The comedic timing on his simple launchers research couldn't have been better if it was planned :allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It costs work and move speed to make people carry spare ammo, so generally you don't want them to carry too much. Also if you have emplaced weapons you want to keep an ammo supply for them nearby as they eat through it. For prolonged engagements if you're using automatic weapons you really do need a supply of ammo in your fighting position.

But like, the hallway. Just a giant pile of munitions lying in the main hall...

Like in combat extended you spray bullets loving everywhere in firefights, and they don't stop, they keep going until they hit a wall, or a person.

So one loving stray bullet could have cooked off that pile of ammo. Fighting anywhere near it would be an absolute deathtrap.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 2, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Danaru posted:

The comedic timing on his simple launchers research couldn't have been better if it was planned :allears:

Yeah that was amazing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Randy savage dumped a poison ship one tile away from my colony in the midst of toxic fallout :smith:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Randy savage dumped a poison ship one tile away from my colony in the midst of toxic fallout :smith:

assuming none of your settlers have any exposure built up and they aren't getting any low-level exposure from brief trips away from roofed areas, you're probably okay to go out into fallout for the time it takes to pop a ship and kill a group of robots. "initial" and "minor" exposure have no risk of long-term effects; you don't risk dementia or cancer until you hit 40% and it turns to moderate.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Vanilla Expanded released a new module based on more western stuff. Notably it adds a bounty event where you can go all lawman and collect a payment for killing or capturing varmints :clint:

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Is there some replacement for More turrets available?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Slumpy posted:

Vanilla Security Expanded! :science:

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Rampant Arsenal just updated so if you're on the .18 experimental it'll be safe to load the game.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Slumpy posted:

Vanilla Furniture Expanded - Security. Turret Collection.

e;fb

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Hi yes hello, Im the dumb idiot who cant stop pawns blowing up his entire base in tantrums.

Also i've grown to love combat extended.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I will never again sit through a toxic fallout and always dev menu it away.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

jokes posted:

I will never again sit through a toxic fallout and always dev menu it away.

I don't but it's by far my least favorite even to work through. Essentially you're forced into an enclosed base with covered pathways between rooms or you get to watch everyone die slowly and painfully. Best case scenario is everyone works happily inside your base until they slowly starve to death (or you try and create a bunch of hydroponics farms too late). I've had it hit as one of the first events sometimes and you might as well restart if you do because you probably aren't going to come back from that game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TwatHammer posted:

Hi yes hello, Im the dumb idiot who cant stop pawns blowing up his entire base in tantrums.

Also i've grown to love combat extended.

It's a great mod, I really prefer its handling of combat 90% of the time. Especially because a ballistic shield makes you nigh invincible.

A shame it takes a lot of explosions and stray bullets to the brain to learn it :v:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GamingHyena posted:

I've had it hit as one of the first events sometimes and you might as well restart if you do because you probably aren't going to come back from that game.

This is how I feel about elemental assault. If it happens early, you should just restart. I’ve had that be the second event from Randy. There’s no stopping it if that happens.

Later on it’s fine though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I've turned off Lich Attack, Elemental Assault I can deal with because it stops after a few waves but Liches have a loving absurd-range deathbolt spell that has a big AOE as well, it hosed my poo poo RIGHT up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like the solution is that one buffy episode where they kill the demon with a rocket launcher.

Though admittedly that's more of a CE thing and that whole mod kind of chumps anything that isn't a techno space horror. Yeah magic real spooky but turns out it's way less spooky than a twin linked 50 cal firing HEAP rounds.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah it's less of an issue when you get teched up and have great gear but more so when you're still dicking around with Medieval tech and scavenged weapons like a dipshit (me) :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got my first elemental assault and turned that off. I didn't appreciate my base getting hosed up by meteors.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Even getting one when I only had 5 dudes it wasn't that big of a deal to destroy an elemental invasion. They're weak a poo poo and fall down after a couple shots, and the vortex is pretty fragile too. You just have to suit up and sally forth and handle it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
As someone who avoids doing maximally exploitative killbox/roof cavein ied traps stuff, I'm really, really appreciating just how strong melee is. Melee pawns with decent skill and good weapons seem to have higher effective dps than most ranged weapons with just a couple exceptions.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
A couple melee guys, ideally with shield belts (As much for friendly fire as for enemy guns) is a great tool to neutralize enemies with threatening ranged weapons. They don't even have to be good, if you don't manage to kill them you'll still tie them up ineffectually swinging rifle butts at you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a mod that adds a moon (NOT THE RABBIT GIRLS) to the Rim so my pawns will stop getting all huffy when they step outside and I don't have a light every 4 tiles to keep them out of darkness?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the vanilla extended mods adds a wide coverage streetlight.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Do you have to be a predator to research predator tech? I rescued one and now she is pissed that she is naked. She is my cleaner so I'd rather not banish her.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OwlFancier posted:

One of the vanilla extended mods adds a wide coverage streetlight.

Its low power cost and only is on at night so its pretty handy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone else try the settler faction mod? I made a bandit group and despite being at -100 relations with like 10 different factions I have only been raided a single time in 40 days, and this is rough with the new story teller. I finally got a caravan stop event and I headed on over. As soon as the map loaded I got the "you got 3 days before a caravan is automatically made" and there was nothing there.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Shbobdb posted:

Do you have to be a predator to research predator tech? I rescued one and now she is pissed that she is naked. She is my cleaner so I'd rather not banish her.

You don't AFAIK, but also be aware that preds can wear Tribalwear, which is handy for avoiding the naked debuff before you get the relevant tech.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Even getting one when I only had 5 dudes it wasn't that big of a deal to destroy an elemental invasion. They're weak a poo poo and fall down after a couple shots, and the vortex is pretty fragile too. You just have to suit up and sally forth and handle it.

Depends on the element. Wind elementals move real fast but are, well, as weak as actual air. Earth elementals are a nightmare because they are unbelievably tough to take down early game.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Huh I've fought like 20 invasions but I guess I've never seen the earth elemental spawn because it's never been more than an annoyance.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

still never installed a mod :)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
More like bore guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

More like bore guy.

rimworld is my smoke a weed and watch the pawns game. still never beaten it without savescumming either :shrug:

edit: also as the writer of the last 2 titles of the thread, it's time to change the title of the thread :)

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 4, 2020