Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sand Monster posted:

That's fair. I guess it's just that I'd expect them to have done the research/preparation and known or expected that the guards would have holdout weapons. They restrain the guards at the bank later on so I didn't get why the treatment was different in the two situations.

Key word there is later. Restraining the bank guards could be a reaction to things going sideways on the armored car job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Pussy Quipped posted:

I watched Suicide Squad last night and I think I could just type out a plot summary of the movie to be submitted to the thread.

The thing that is still bugging me is the stupid loving pink unicorn.
The movie does the classic thing where it sets up something that seems like it will be important, we see the unicorn when they are getting all their gear and stuff, and Captain Boomerang stuffs it into his coat.
The scriptwriter(s)? pretend like they know what they are doing, and they remind the audience of the unicorn when the squad is fighting the cgi monsters. The unicorn falls out of his coat, and he quickly scoops it up and puts it back into his inside coat pocket.
So logically, we should be getting some sort of payoff to the unicorn. Nope. Boomerang gets stabbed by a cgi monster about 20 minutes later, right in the chest, right where the unicorn could be inside his coat, and we even get the half-second fakeout before he pulls the knife out...and a stack of money stopped it. Unicorn is never mentioned again for the rest of the movie after we see him put it back into his jacket the second time.
Why did they do this? Its not a clever subversion, its just confusing and makes no sense. Is it an editing problem? A screenwriting one? Why do I care so much?
that movie was nothing but problems.

I liked that they spent millions either to dig down into the sewer and convert it into a cell for Croc, or they spent millions to make a prison cell look like a sewer. meanwhile fire guy gets a tube. you know they make fireproof chairs right? or blankets? also they're feeding Croc whole goats. do you know how expensive whole goats are? the petting zoo hung up on me but I bet they're a lot. they also specifically mention croc was trying to get "sanctuary" when he was captured, in this movie he's specifiucally not a bad guy: he's a freak who gets beaten and run out of towns until batman finds him and...pays for a sewer cell?

the whole deadshot thing was a cluster too. why can't he get custody? his wife is a drunk who sleeps all day. does everyone know he's an assassin? and he just...visits his daughter and walks the streets hoping no one recognizes him? yeah he gets captured by batman (who uses a little girl as a shield) so maybe he shouldn't have been? also we just watched him make two million dollars for a single kill, is that not enough money to take his daughter and run away with? at the end he's all "we have to save the day so my daughter won't think I'm a piece of poo poo" as if the entire suicide squad wasn't designed explicitly to be disavowed if anything goes wrong, he was even told this before the title drop. so he's counting on...waller I guess? the woman he saw pointlessly gun down an entire room of people with clearance?

they were so scared to make any character "bad" they ended up just filming poo poo that wouldn't stick to anything.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

Watching Heat which as fans of the film are well aware, the attention to detail is incredible at times. I get that it's required to advance the plot, but this is the IIMM thread after all -- so, with the armored truck job at the beginning of the movie, why not disarm the guards? Waingro executes one for seemingly no reason, and the next guard pulls a gun from his leg holster. The crew is acclaimed for how professional they are, yet they don't take the guns away? It doesn't make much sense to me, but then again, pulling in a dip poo poo, loose cannon like Waingro for such a tight crew in the first place was totally stupid.

I always figured Waingro was supposed to check them and didn't because he's a dipshit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A goat is only like $100.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Morpheus posted:

I just finished the latest season of Sabrina on Netflix, and the tradition of Sabrina being a colossal fuckup continues directly through this season. It's wild that we're supposed to root for her despite the fact that almost everything terrible is a result of what she does, including (final couple of episode spoilers) bringing about the end of the world and hell due to her bad choices and then another possible apocalypse because she forgot the egg and ANOTHER apocalypse because she decided to cause a paradox.

It totally vindicates all the people who think she's a loving idiot and makes them less like cookie cutter bad guys. :shrug:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I always figured Waingro was supposed to check them and didn't because he's a dipshit.

Waingro is a rapist and murderer. He got himself involved for the money, yes, but also the opportunity to kill people as "part of the job".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The use-dinos-as-weapons scheme in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is just so stupid. In order to get the dino to attack you have to mark the victim with a laser and why not just shoot him if you have to get that close.

I saw Shazam and I genuinely liked it, but it's unbelievable that someone still uses the doomed board members cliche.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alhazred posted:

The use-dinos-as-weapons scheme in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is just so stupid. In order to get the dino to attack you have to mark the victim with a laser and why not just shoot him if you have to get that close.

I saw Shazam and I genuinely liked it, but it's unbelievable that someone still uses the doomed board members cliche.

The whole thing with Sivana is a bit cliche but funny given Dr Sivana played more close to the comics would be even worse- he IS the cliche comic book supervillain, who so many others, including Lex Luthor, wholesale ripped their entire shtick from.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I liked the board room scene if only because everyone was sort of "heh...what's going on?" and then the mood changed dramatically when that one guy got thrown through the window. Most board room assault scenes have that one or two guys playing it cool and no one was playing it cool after that happened.

Shazam didn't feel like a DC movie. It wasn't painfully dark in subject matter and the special effects were actually good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alhazred posted:

What irritates me is they mark a guy while the dino is caged to show off the laser targeting, and the dino snarls at him and tries to slash him.

But then when the dino inevitably escapes, we don't get the payoff of the dino going after the person they put a kill order on.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Also, apparently soccer players are more expensive than a real life dinosaur.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Also, apparently soccer players are more expensive than a real life dinosaur.

And not just a single dinosaur. These people are voting to have the only copy of that dinosaur, and thus 100% control of future creation and distribution of any further individuals of that species.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Are you saying four million dollars isn't a realistic price point for an actual real-life dinosaur? It's like you idiots have never been to a dinosaur auction before :rolleyes:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Using dinosaurs as military weapons is along the same lines as the dudes in the Alien movies trying to weaponize the xenomorphs and none of it makes any loving sense. I guess you could make a case for the military wanting to study the aliens to learn about the acid blood or whatever. Thinking they could drop some eggs into Iran or some poo poo and wipe out the population doesn't make any sense when you can just nuke them and not have to worry about what to do with 100's of out of control alien death monsters.

The dinosaur thing makes even less sense since the scientists can already bio-engineer them so, rather than trying to train raptors or whatever dumb poo poo, why not work on coding them so they obey orders?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Using aliens as a weapon kind of makes sense in space, you can just smuggle a bunch of eggs onto whatever planet/space station you want to gently caress up and let them run wild. Even if Sigourney Weaver happens to be there, they're statistically likely to kill a lot of people before she stops them :v:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I assumed the guys who wanted to weaponize the xenomorphs didn't literally want tame xenomorphs. They wanted access to whatever their equivalent of DNA is for biotech weapons, because of their exotic biology and unique properties. Anybody read the most recent books in The Expanse series? Like that. In fact now that I think about it the thing we see the Engineer use in Prometheus is quite a lot like the Protomolecule.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Feb 2, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Are you saying four million dollars isn't a realistic price point for an actual real-life dinosaur? It's like you idiots have never been to a dinosaur auction before :rolleyes:

Sshhhhhut up about dinosaur auctions Bird these people don't need to know about that poo poo!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Paul Riser had no idea what xenomorphs were, just that they sounded like a pretty good weapon. Hundreds of years later they were still studying xenomorphs and under estimating them (alien blood melts steel floors).

It makes perfect sense that keep making the same mistakes over and over again because everyone who makes the first mistake dies and can't warn others to not try that again. I guess Ripley survives (sort of) but no one listens to her.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm pretty sure Paul Riser had no idea what xenomorphs were, just that they sounded like a pretty good weapon. Hundreds of years later they were still studying xenomorphs and under estimating them (alien blood melts steel floors).

It makes perfect sense that keep making the same mistakes over and over again because everyone who makes the first mistake dies and can't warn others to not try that again. I guess Ripley survives (sort of) but no one listens to her.

Destroying all life on Earth doesn't stop greedy money grubbing assholes from being greedy money grubbing assholes now. Why would the future be any different?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Cause the only place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism is space, duh.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
You use xenomorphs as deniable weapons. Oh, this competing company's station/planet was ate by bugs? Sucks for them!

You can't nuke someone and get away with it. And if you know what they're all about, you can clean them out, while the victim force is caught unaware and get got

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they give some kind of ridiculously cheap price for the interstellar Nostromo while debriefing Ripley in Aliens? Like 40 million dollars?

I can't tell if that's what people in the 1980's thought was a good price for a space ship, but if it was meant to sound cheap because this is so far into the future that currency valuation has significantly changed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's in "adjusted dollars" so it could be any value really.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alhazred posted:

JW:FK is a garbage rear end movie on par with poo poo like ecks vs sever or fifth element

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

oldpainless posted:

JW:FK is a garbage rear end movie on par with poo poo like ecks vs sever or fifth element

Yup. I loved the first Jurassic World because it hits all the bad movie tropes and is entertaining as a result. The second? Too dumb for dumb fun, and contemptuous of its audience.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Fifth Element isn’t a great movie, but it doesn’t deserve to be in the same sentence as Ecks vs Sever, which is the worst named movie ever.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Well Luc Besson is a pedophile who cheated on his groomed wife during the filming and it kinda bleeds into the plot.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Of which movie? With that description I'd have bet on the Professional

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Well Luc Besson is a pedophile who cheated on his groomed wife during the filming and it kinda bleeds into the plot.

If you just skip through all the scenes where Korben and Leeloo are the only characters then it's a perfect movie.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It was already creepy with just the perfect woman looking very young and basically having the mind of a child, the behind the scenes stuff just makes it worse.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

torgeaux posted:

Yup. I loved the first Jurassic World because it hits all the bad movie tropes and is entertaining as a result. The second? Too dumb for dumb fun, and contemptuous of its audience.

I'd argue that the first one is worse. Fallen Kingdom is really dumb but at least it doesn't poo poo all over the other movies and have a scene where a woman is attacked at lenght by dinosaurs.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My IIMM is that they keep making Jurassic Park movies instead of adapting Dinosaurs Attack!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A piece of dinosaur media that ends with it being a good thing that the dinosaurs die cannot be good :colbert:

There only way the killing of a dinosaur can be triumphant is if it is defeated by another dinosaur.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 09:57 on Feb 3, 2020

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, where are the Dinotopia specials Netflix? What the hell!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I want a dinosaur movie where they all act like birds being idiots.

I want raptors head-banging to music like a cockatoo, T-rexes running around in circles terrified of a random blade of grass like an emu, apatosaurs screaming at their own arseholes like a swan, etc.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I want a dinosaur movie where they all act like birds being idiots.

I want raptors head-banging to music like a cockatoo, T-rexes running around in circles terrified of a random blade of grass like an emu, apatosaurs screaming at their own arseholes like a swan, etc.

Apatosaurs never evolved into birds, sorry.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also wasn't Apatosaurus the result of them putting the skeleton together incorrectly, or was that Iguanadon? I know it was one of those.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BioEnchanted posted:

Also wasn't Apatosaurus the result of them putting the skeleton together incorrectly, or was that Iguanadon? I know it was one of those.

Apatosaurus is back to Brontosaurus, according to something I read.

The victorians definitely had iguanodon wrong at first.

Go to the Crystal Palace if you ever get a chance, it's a trip.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Dinos as weapons is so dumb. In fallen world, a guy buys an attack dino for multiple millions and when it's finally in action, it jumps on a dude who gutshots it with a 9mil and they both die. That's not a very good investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ruddiger posted:

My IIMM is that they keep making Jurassic Park movies instead of adapting Dinosaurs Attack!

In another timeline we got that instead of Mars Attacks. This is truly the worst timeline

Also y'all get entirely too hung up on the assistant getting eaten