Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I guess I'm fortunate to live in such a sleepy neighborhood. A canvas of the last month of NextDoor posts reveals:

- A dozen 'Lost pet / found pet' posts.
- A half-dozen 'Can anyone recommend a carpenter / cleaner / FixIt man' posts.
- One 'Did y'all hear those gunshots, where were they?' post.
- One 'I almost hit a guy and his dog while driving, can anyone ID them so I can apologize?' post.

I guess that's the trade-off for living in the rear end-end of the state. :P

edit: Going back another month, this is the only passive-aggressive post I could find:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bobulus posted:

I guess I'm fortunate to live in such a sleepy neighborhood. A canvas of the last month of NextDoor posts reveals:

- A dozen 'Lost pet / found pet' posts.
- A half-dozen 'Can anyone recommend a carpenter / cleaner / FixIt man' posts.
- One 'Did y'all hear those gunshots, where were they?' post.
- One 'I almost hit a guy and his dog while driving, can anyone ID them so I can apologize?' post.

I guess that's the trade-off for living in the rear end-end of the state. :P

edit: Going back another month, this is the only passive-aggressive post I could find:

Getting owned by a 6 year old.

I forgot that in Northbrook a big thing was showing off Ring camera videos of kids who stole pumpkins or took extra candy from a bowl left out. Lots of "hopefully the parents see this".

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Mine was super boring apart from a two month old post about some nearby vacant apartments with some dumbass dog-whistling racist reasons they shouldn't be used for low-income housing.

Wish I would have seen it at the time.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
When I moved to Sauganash as a kid I got a police scanner as a gift and the first call I heard was for "Black pedestrian"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

http://illinoisnewsjoint.com/

New news site for all your Mary Jane needs in the Land o Lincoln. Focus on central and downstate.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Getting owned by a 6 year old.

I forgot that in Northbrook a big thing was showing off Ring camera videos of kids who stole pumpkins or took extra candy from a bowl left out. Lots of "hopefully the parents see this".

I live next to Northbrook, and I had to leave out my mini fridge when it died. It was covered in these antifa stickers I got from donating to their defense fund.

I got a ring on my doorbell and got yelled at by a neighbor concerned I'm indoctrinating her children.

Who I don't know. Northwest suburbs are all NIMBYs.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Forrest on Fire posted:

I live next to Northbrook, and I had to leave out my mini fridge when it died. It was covered in these antifa stickers I got from donating to their defense fund.

I got a ring on my doorbell and got yelled at by a neighbor concerned I'm indoctrinating her children.

Who I don't know. Northwest suburbs are all NIMBYs.

I hope you yelled back, especially since she was on YOUR property :smugdog:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh it's this dumb nonsense yet again.

https://www.pantagraph.com/news/loc...1e314a8f26.html

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

"Cliburn is part an effort to slice Illinois into two states, with Cook County as one and everything else as another. "

It would make more sense for the URBAN DEMON-RAT ELITE state to have Cook, Lake, and DuPage Counties, right? They seem much more culturally and economically aligned with Chicago than with the, uh, Illinois heartland

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Is there a way to split into two blue states, if so let's do that

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Poque posted:

Is there a way to split into two blue states, if so let's do that

It's possible but it would have to be gerrymandered as hell and both states would have to take part of Chicago.

In the 2016 election, Illinois-minus-Cook-County went to Trump. In 2012, it went to Romney. In 2008, it went to Obama!

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 2, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As long as they're wasting energy on something that can never happen instead of any other dumb right wing project that actively harms people I think it's fine if these stories come out a few times a year.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It's possible but it would have to be gerrymandered as hell and both states would have to take part of Chicago.

In the 2016 election, Illinois-minus-Cook-County went to Trump. In 2012, it went to Romney. In 2008, it went to Obama!

Alternatively, just cut out literally only Chicago instead of all of Cook county and it would probably work out. Only about half the county actually lives in Chicago proper. Plus, the downstate morons are probably clueless enough that they'd go along with it!

Also:

a downstate moron posted:

“What I see happening is a state that will enact more business-friendly policy and it will attract business and attract citizenry instead of repelling them,” Williams said. “The out-migration will hopefully stop and we will regain some of what we lost. I also look forward to downstate values and rural values being better represented.”

I'm genuinely curious if these idiots have drunk enough koolaid that they actually believe this is what would happen.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I love this poo poo every time it comes up because I'm not sure all these downstate methheads realize who pays their loving welfare. Go to Effingham County or south of that. It is loving dire

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

Alternatively, just cut out literally only Chicago instead of all of Cook county and it would probably work out. Only about half the county actually lives in Chicago proper. Plus, the downstate morons are probably clueless enough that they'd go along with it!

Also:

I'm genuinely curious if these idiots have drunk enough koolaid that they actually believe this is what would happen.

I love the idea that people would be flocking to downstate Illinois if only it weren't for the taxes.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Living in Effingham county makes me want to bash my head in most days. Teaching government and sociology in a high school makes it even worse.

These motherfuckers would just start bitching about Champaign, the Quad Cities, Bloomington, Peoria or Carbondale

I love how the Effingham ballot resolution specifically excludes Cook county from the discussions as if they do not have a say in this.

Honestly, what worries me more is that Cook and the collar counties decide that they do not need to deal with this poo poo.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Now that political gerrymandering is officially legal and required, it would probably be possible to eliminate two or three of Illinois' (R) Congress districts, if the state Democrats had a spine

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I loving hate gerrymandering and I generally oppose states using it but sometimes I want to say “gently caress it” and just let Illinois go all out.

If one side can do everything out of spite, why the gently caress shouldn’t the other side. Kill Shimkus’ congressional district and kill a couple more state districts in this area. gently caress it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

100% back all Dem gerrymandering until there's a national fix

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cattail Prophet posted:

Also:

"Downstate Values"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Devo posted:

I love this poo poo every time it comes up because I'm not sure all these downstate methheads realize who pays their loving welfare. Go to Effingham County or south of that. It is loving dire

From the OP but worth quoting

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m tired of the moochers in *squints* Fulton?? County leeching off my tax dollars

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I live in Effingham and was born in Jasper. I am guessing that the 2 interstates running through it is what keeps it in black. The only thing I can assume about Jasper county is the power plant.

Everything else is not surprising.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

take my word for it, Fulton county is hell

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I live in Effingham and was born in Jasper. I am guessing that the 2 interstates running through it is what keeps it in black. The only thing I can assume about Jasper county is the power plant.

Everything else is not surprising.
Obviously it's tourist traffic from that giant cheesy cross.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Literally the ONLY downside of splitting Illinois into two states is donating more GOP senators for downstate. Over-represented rural districts already have an outsize impact on our government. Every other outcome would 100% be in favor of Cook County/Chicago proper.

Oh, cool, we have pension debts, but we don't have to subsidize downstate anymore? Sweet. Let's pay that poo poo off in like three years and then throw a loving rager to celebrate.

Big Black Dick fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 3, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Comedy option: do a dry run for a couple years where taxes collected in a county can only be spent in that county. When when people are forced to flee due to their infrastructure completely disintegrating the problem resolves itself.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Big Black Dick posted:

Literally the ONLY downside of splitting Illinois into two states is donating more GOP senators for downstate. Over-represented rural districts already have an outsize impact on our government. Every other outcome would 100% be in favor of Cook County/Chicago proper.

Oh, cool, we have pension debts, but we don't have to subsidize downstate anymore? Sweet. Let's pay that poo poo off in like three years and then throw a loving rager to celebrate.

Well, you're also condemning all the minorities living downstate to a state government that now hates them and wants them to die. But sure, other than that, no downsides!

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Big Black Dick posted:

Yeah, wherever the money was going downstate, it probably wasn't that important anyway. Hold on, I'm hearing reports about widespread starvation and infrastructure collapse

Let's try not to use the secession stuff as pretext to fantasize about stopping "subsidizing" towns that don't vote the right way. It's basically welfare queen logic

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Oracle posted:

This map also shows that wealthy people from St Louis, Davenport, and Dubuque would rather live in Illinois than Missouri or Iowa.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 3, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Oracle posted:

Who decided to use BLACK for one of the midrange values of this chart?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The X-man cometh posted:

This map also shows that wealthy people who from St Louis, Davenport, and Dubuque would rather live in Illinois than Missouri or Iowa.

I was doing some looking yesterday and I can't loving believe that Missouri has a population of just over 6 million when their two biggest cities: Kansas City and St. Louis have just less than 500,000 people and just over 300,000 people respectively. In fact their top 10 cities have less than 1.5 million people combined.

That is a fuckload of people living way out in the middle of nowhere.

I mean I guess living near Chicago just has me not remember exactly how small actual cities are because Aurora only has like 120,000 people in it. Or I guess I should really look more at combined statistical areas since the St. Louis CSA has almost 3 million people.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Poque posted:

Who decided to use BLACK for one of the midrange values of this chart?
I'm guessing whichever reporting person put this together decided it was a nice, neutral-ish color. It's not - it's kind of glaring - but still.

I have other issues with the precise visualization - like, I would have made the midrange 0.9 to 1.1 - but it's better than nothing.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TMMadman posted:

I was doing some looking yesterday and I can't loving believe that Missouri has a population of just over 6 million when their two biggest cities: Kansas City and St. Louis have just less than 500,000 people and just over 300,000 people respectively. In fact their top 10 cities have less than 1.5 million people combined.

That is a fuckload of people living way out in the middle of nowhere.

I mean I guess living near Chicago just has me not remember exactly how small actual cities are because Aurora only has like 120,000 people in it. Or I guess I should really look more at combined statistical areas since the St. Louis CSA has almost 3 million people.

Yeah I think St Louis on the MO side is a tiny central city but there are like a million little suburb towns right next to it because white flight people don’t want to share a government or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah Saint Louis metro area pop is like 2.9 million I think.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

There's around 1 million people in St. Louis County alone. KC actually has a smaller metro area than St. Louis does. Roughly half of the MO population lives in either the STL or KC metro area. Meanwhile, the Chicago metro area is closer to 2/3 of the total IL population.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
How far west do they extend "Chicago Metro"?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

How far west do they extend "Chicago Metro"?

For the CSA, it's either Naperville or Aurora. I don't remember if Aurora has its own region or not.

It's mostly Chicago plus the 6 collar counties.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

not posting this to be a dick because I didn't know either, but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_metropolitan_area#Definitions

good map here:
https://www.citypopulation.de/en/usa/metro/16980__chicago_naperville_el/

western boundary looks like the western side of DeKalb county

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lmao at NIU being included.