Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
quartz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
cbs...thank you

quote:

Linux Star Trek fans, rejoice: CBS All Access now works in your OS [Updated]

There's probably a lot of overlap in the Star Trek↔Linux Venn diagram.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/01/cbs-all-access-serves-ads-but-not-content-to-linux-users/

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

quartz

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Laslow posted:

i got a laptop $50 “for parts” from a pawn shop(it had a cmos password) and all that stuff works fine. i know it’s possible but it’s hard to see how you could gently caress it up.

the problem is generally lovely proprietary acpi bullshit and weirdass SoC chips.

a crappy laptop will often just work since it only has cheap generic crap in it. you might have an issue with acpi/sleep states, but that is usually easily fixed.

mid-range laptops however, can see problems because in the name of cost savings, the vendor chose a special snowflake version of <popular chip> which has a slightly different SoC, and then sound or wifi breaks.

then you have high end and business lines which either have great support out of the box, or don't work at all because the vendor decided to do a bunch of proprietary bullshit to try and sell their portable general computing device and only wrote drivers for windows.

if the latter are actually good and popular they'll probably work 6 months after launch when people reverse engineer their bullshit and submit it to kernel, if they're not popular, :rip:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

finally

https://twitter.com/larsiusprime/status/1224031680920530945

mystes
May 31, 2006

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop*.

*: "Linux on the desktop" is defined as 1% or greater of steam market share.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

technically she might not be a mother the first and only time

also the second through whatever before she has a kid and actually becomes a mother

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
they need to do way instain mother

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Progressive JPEG posted:

post your daily driver window managers

sway

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

kwin_x11

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i have been a kde user for 10 or 15 years now, and in the last month my god drat taskbar has started crashing.

that's right, the taskbar is a separate process, and as a kde user, i am apparently expected to know what it is

i don't wholly blame them because for personal reasons i have a newer version of qt5 than what was intended installed. but it sucks real bad to google "how do i restart my kde taskbar"

i guess the real villains here are whoever trolltech calls themselves now -- i upgraded qt's system library version because i was lazy and wanted the freshest qt5 environment, and this causes the god drat task bar to fail, independently of other kde components

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
kaskbar

is probably what it is called

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

in gnome 2, and also mate, you can create new panels by right clicking on an existing panel; by default there's only one panel. you can also delete a panel with that same right click menu. i accidentally deleted my only panel once, and to this day i have no idea how else you create new panels in mate or gnome 2. i'm just more careful now

now that i'm remembering this, i can't recall how i fixed it. think maybe i just reinstalled it

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

now that i'm remembering this, i can't recall how i fixed it. think maybe i just reinstalled it

linux_quotes dot txt

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Progressive JPEG posted:

4dwm

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just lol if your daily driver isn’t an Octane or better running Irix

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hm nice

wine-wayland

well, "no controllers" and "no opengl" might be too tall an order, but nice nevertheless

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rock the kaskbar

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Tankakern posted:

hm nice

wine-wayland

well, "no controllers" and "no opengl" might be too tall an order, but nice nevertheless

real yakuza use a gamepad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

kaskbar

is probably what it is called

oh you would have thought so

it used to be called "kicker" but apparently that was too simple

the actual magic invocation required is

code:
kstart5 plasmashell
so simple and intuitive!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh you would have thought so

it used to be called "kicker" but apparently that was too simple

the actual magic invocation required is

code:
kstart5 plasmashell
so simple and intuitive!

youre the one swapping out DSOs from under apps, your complaining permit got taken away a while ago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

youre the one swapping out DSOs from under apps, your complaining permit got taken away a while ago

they call it a stable abi for a reason

i mean, all my qt5 apps aside from the kicker thing work fine. as they should.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i;m kind of amazed at the amount of iteration being performed on the apis of windowing toolkits. this was a solved problem 20 years ago.

there is exactly one novel feature that has been added since then: constraint-based layout. and to some extent multi-touch input.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

linux on the desktop is in flux currently (aka still in alpha/testing) and has a lot of problems with sound, wifi, display drivers (incl multi monitor support), and desktop/windowing managers.

but my sources say that 2020 will see a nearly complete release and widespread adoption of linux on the desktop.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Last Chance posted:

linux on the desktop is in flux currently (aka still in alpha/testing) and has a lot of problems with sound, wifi, display drivers (incl multi monitor support), and desktop/windowing managers.

but my sources say that 2020 will see a nearly complete release and widespread adoption of linux on the desktop.

hosed up if true

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

i;m kind of amazed at the amount of iteration being performed on the apis of windowing toolkits. this was a solved problem 20 years ago.

there is exactly one novel feature that has been added since then: constraint-based layout. and to some extent multi-touch input.

https://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they call it a stable abi for a reason

i mean, all my qt5 apps aside from the kicker thing work fine. as they should.

so you wont be expecting it when things break?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

But that's what happens when there is no incentive for people to do the parts of programming that aren't fun. Fixing bugs isn't fun; going through the bug list isn't fun; but rewriting everything from scratch is fun (because "this time it will be done right", ha ha) and so that's what happens, over and over again.

I unironically enjoy sifting through completely garbage code and fixing bugs or making small incremental improvements.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Yeah, I never quite got that part of CADT. I've always enjoyed fixing bugs and writing documentation. Which is unfortunate, because I'm an academic now, and my job is supposed to be about flinging poo at the wall to validate research ideas, not write production code.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Xik posted:

I unironically enjoy sifting through completely garbage code and fixing bugs or making small incremental improvements.

there's a big difference between bug fixes and "the way we originally designed this just isn't going to work going forward"

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I got curious about those jwz bugs that got auto-closed, given that they gave rise to such a famous rant and term, so I did some archaeology on the GNOME Bugzilla. I think I found them all, although the search is bad enough that it's hard to be sure.

Bug 71242 - panel sometimes sending _WIN_LAYER ClientMessages to xscreensaver. jwz couldn't even reproduce this one himself, but he has a guess at what the problem could be. Someone could have checked I suppose.

Bug 72197 - gnome-terminal menu item Edit/Copy broken. This one looks like it was fixed in 2.0 (judging by a comment), but the status was never changed.

Bug 79380 - panel forgets its settings at random; doesn't auto-save. This is some random bug that I can't blame later maintainers for not trying to reproduce.

Bug 87063 - gnome-terminal --command no longer works. This one looks trivial to reproduce (although nobody is saying that they were able to).

Bug 82413 - tasklist pixmap stderr whining. Only happens with an old version of xemacs, and I guess nobody cares about xemacs.

He also reported a bunch of other bugs that were fixed or kept open until much later, so I think he's overreacting a bit in that rant. Do commercial vendors really keep open a bug like "xemacs is a bit noisy on stderr sometimes" forever?

Athas fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 5, 2020

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

got myself a Sun 3/60

gonna see if I can do the trick to run SunView and X simultaneously on it (one in the overlay plane)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

The_Franz posted:

there's a big difference between bug fixes and "the way we originally designed this just isn't going to work going forward"

not in the industry I work health insurance

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

He also reported a bunch of other bugs that were fixed or kept open until much later, so I think he's overreacting a bit in that rant. Do commercial vendors really keep open a bug like "xemacs is a bit noisy on stderr sometimes" forever?

a.) nobody investigated any of the bugs that got closed for cadt reasons

b.) yes, commercial vendors will keep bugs open for the duration of the product's existence

some commercial vendors tried to support gnome 1.x and boy that didn't go well

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a.) nobody investigated any of the bugs that got closed for cadt reasons

b.) yes, commercial vendors will keep bugs open for the duration of the product's existence

some commercial vendors tried to support gnome 1.x and boy that didn't go well

Several of the bugs that got closed for CADT reasons were investigated before they got closed, but were weird heisenbugs. It's also a small fraction of the total number of bugs he reported.

And is it really better to keep the bug open if there is no actual chance that anyone will ever look at it? I assume Windows 3.11 still has bugs, so does Microsoft still have open entries in a bug tracker somewhere that they track at the same level as a bug that causes the ads to disappear from Windows 10?

Athas fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 6, 2020

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

And is it really better to keep the bug open if there is no actual chance that anyone will ever look at it? I assume Windows 3.11 still has bugs, so does Microsoft still have open entries in a bug tracker somewhere that they track at the same level as a bug that causes the ads disappear from Windows 10?

dude microsoft is bug-for-bug compatible with windows 3.11, today, on windows 10 (32 bit)

literally 30 years of compatibility, painstaking, fetishistic, compatibility

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i dont think nbsd has ever used a computer before. just ignore him and hope he gets perma'd sometime soon

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

i dont think nbsd has ever used a computer before. just ignore him and hope he gets perma'd sometime soon

move fast, break things, hope wayland fixes some of them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

compile mgr and use that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

is the point being made that actually volunteers are fine at maintenance work, or is this just a data nitpick?

either way the cadt is mostly irrelevant these days since really most open source is corporate efforts for murky reasons.