Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

JBP posted:

Is this why it was off on Trump? Like lack of political history, offices, own party hated him, etc?

538 said Trump would beat Clinton approximately 1 out of 3 times. I don't believe they were off last time. They gave Trump a better chance than almost anyone else.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-fivethirtyeight-gave-trump-a-better-chance-than-almost-anyone-else/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gyges posted:

I don't think very many gave Hillary a 100% chance, so it really depends on how big you think the chance of Donny's perfect storm of losing the popular vote by millions but winning the EV by thousands was. Personally I think Nate put his chances way to high, and Donny's win was a 5-10% possibility.

Yeah this gets missed a lot since people think Trump winning means giving him the the best odds means Nate was the most right. I think the people giving Clinton a 99 percent chance were more right than Nate was as the margin was tiny like you said.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I dont think giving Trump a better chance is necessarily a sign of accuracy. Trump's victory was very unlikely and he won by the barest of margins, which was like 80000 votes across 3 swing states after Comey sent the letter.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/Julia3131/status/1223607003001638914?s=19

These people are insane.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I had a WaPo reporter knock on my door yesterday (Manchester NH) to ask about the primary canvassing, candidates and impeachment. It was cool.

He started asking about if canvassers were overwhelming. I don't think he expected me to say how much I love having canvassers stop by every primary season. It's seriously my favorite thing to talk to them and try and feed them. I really don't think NH should have the first primary but while we do I will enjoy it.

I've been saving all my flyers that I've collected or had hung on my door. I have 14 from Bernie, 6 from Warren and 3 from Yang. Never seen a Biden or Mayo Pete canvasser.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

538 gave Trump the highest chance of winning but it didn't predict his pathway (WI, PA, MI) more accurately than any other model. For example, on election night 538 had Trump's chances of winning Michigan about equal to taking Rhode Island. If your statistical model can't make accurate predictions then it's trash, regardless of the chances you assign to one outcome.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bernie's Concubines? Not even Bernie Babes? Bernie Bro-ettes?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

These people are gonna be dropping the k-word on Bernie before this is all done.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYIemnX4_GA

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

These people are gonna be dropping the k-word on Bernie before this is all done.

Which one

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

rscott posted:

Which one

King. Killer

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I’m so glad Woke Twitter is continuing to show us how deep their commitment to social justice is.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...ml_nbn_20200202

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY57Vn0qTiU

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

https://twitter.com/sarahforbernie/status/1224012141776330752

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There has to be a better metaphor for this. It’s liberals who ally with fascists.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Office Pig posted:

Bernie's Concubines? Not even Bernie Babes? Bernie Bro-ettes?

Bernettes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Paradoxish posted:

I keep hearing this ridiculous Bloomberg ad on podcasts and it sounds like a loving parody. There's a line that's more or less "What's Mike about? Doing things." It's also too long and gets cut off in like half of the podcasts where I've heard it. It's hilarious.

What the gently caress podcasts are you listening to that have paid political ads?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

This ad is amazing. Completely owning being their worst loving nightmare is the correct strategy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

538 gave Trump the highest chance of winning but it didn't predict his pathway (WI, PA, MI) more accurately than any other model. For example, on election night 538 had Trump's chances of winning Michigan about equal to taking Rhode Island. If your statistical model can't make accurate predictions then it's trash, regardless of the chances you assign to one outcome.

I thought Trump was polling 5-10 points down in Michigan? Ultimately it's a model based on polling, if the polls miss then the model will miss. Silver's model gave Trump the best chance because his model trusted polling accuracy the least.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
So how does the viablity stuff work? Like if a candidate isn't viable at one precinct by even one vote, they just lose all those potential votes (likely to someone else)? Even if the precinct next door has them well above the threshold?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gandlethorpe posted:

So how does the viablity stuff work? Like if a candidate isn't viable at one precinct by even one vote, they just lose all those potential votes (likely to someone else)? Even if the precinct next door has them well above the threshold?

Pretty much. The statewide delegates are awarded based on overall performance and exceeding the viability threshold, while the district/precinct/whatever the delineation is in Iowa delegates are determined within that unit.

So you can get delegates without hitting 15% statewide, and you can get less than 15% of the total delegates despite hitting 15% statewide.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Almost flawless! (and that hair was absolutely fabulous!)

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/jacobisanadult/status/1223864448437407746?s=19

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I will give Warren the benefit of the doubt on the Native American thing. She very well could have been convinced of her heritage. Until the advent of DNA testing most people took what they were told by close family as the truth.

Everything else, yeah she has been lying. I will likely blame her campaign staff more than anything. I am thinking that she does not have great staff especially evidenced by the pathetic stunts she has been pulling. She really should know better and should be better. It will cost her the nomination.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Which part, the one where his crowd is bigger and more enthusiastic than anyone else's, or the part where he's clearly going to win the presidency?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

gandlethorpe posted:

there are two rounds of caucusing. in the first round everyone goes to their initial corners. in most place, you will need to get 15% of the caucus to be viable. if you are in a viable group - great! you are now stuck there. in fact, you can go home if you want (although you won't be able to vote on who is elected as a delegate). if your group is not viable, you move to the second round of caucusing. here are your options:

1. try to recruit other people from non-viable groups to come to you and make your group viable.
2. join a viable group
3. leave

the delegates will then be awarded according to a roughly proportional (but not exactly because lol caucus math) formula. these delegates are reported by the iowa dems in a weighted formula based on the 2016 and 2018 democratic presidential candidate/governor performance in that precinct.

iowa will report three results:

1. the popular vote in the first round, prior to viability re-shuffling. (i.e. if you only had 1 dude for your candidate, your precinct will report a popular vote of 1 even if the group wasn't viable)
2. the popular vote in the second round
3. the number of delegates (called SDE, statewide delegate equivalent) each candidate won. the candidate with the highest SDE is the "official" winner.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

empty whippet box posted:

Which part, the one where his crowd is bigger and more enthusiastic than anyone else's, or the part where he's clearly going to win the presidency?

Yes

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

this one's good too:

https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/status/1224119403903684620

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Djarum posted:

I will give Warren the benefit of the doubt on the Native American thing. She very well could have been convinced of her heritage. Until the advent of DNA testing most people took what they were told by close family as the truth.

Everything else, yeah she has been lying. I will likely blame her campaign staff more than anything. I am thinking that she does not have great staff especially evidenced by the pathetic stunts she has been pulling. She really should know better and should be better. It will cost her the nomination.

If she really believed it, why list herself as white on applications where there might be legal consequences but Native when there are no legal consequences?

It seems much more likely she knew she wasn’t really Native, but exaggerated for personal gain.

Which is her MO, she doesn’t tell straight out lies, she stretches the truth in ways she can pretend she didn’t know she was lying.

Like with her kids attending private school, camp Warren claims that she didn’t lie, she did send her kids to public school for a few years before moving them to private school, so “I took my kids to public schools just like you” isn’t “a lie” it’s just intentionally misleading so the listener comes away believing a falsehood.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Djarum posted:

This is nonsense. She didn't just believe that she had Native American. It's something that lasted for decades, and Native American activists have been pointing out how she was hurting them since 2012, only for her to call then republican operatives. Whatever you think she believed in 1995, she can't feign ignorance since 2012 at the very least.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Concerned Citizen posted:

these delegates are reported by the iowa dems in a weighted formula based on the 2016 and 2018 democratic presidential candidate/governor performance in that precinct.

This quoted bit here seems like good fodder if anybody feels like getting their Arzy on. Does anybody know if the distribution of voting in 2016/2018 was substantially centered around old folks homes? - and how does this work with the new satellite caucusses?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Djarum posted:

Since actual Cherokee people were telling her she was full of poo poo as early as 2012 and she responded by calling them GOP operatives, I would suggest the benefit of the doubt should not be extended.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I thought Trump was polling 5-10 points down in Michigan? Ultimately it's a model based on polling, if the polls miss then the model will miss. Silver's model gave Trump the best chance because his model trusted polling accuracy the least.

Exactly. It's not that the 538 model accurately predicted the state by state results, it's that Nate's model had an inherent distrust of polls and baked in a larger error margin in case they were wrong. Compare that to Sam Wang who 100% trusted the polls and gave Hillary a 99.9% chance of winning on Election night.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uegqTj3SHO4

"My pah-paw had high cheekbones like all of the indians do"

-Elizabeth Warren, definitely not a loving racist

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

This quoted bit here seems like good fodder if anybody feels like getting their Arzy on. Does anybody know if the distribution of voting in 2016/2018 was substantially centered around old folks homes? - and how does this work with the new satellite caucusses?

no, it's nothing like that. there is a disadvantage for people who might have their support super-concentrated - the delegate formula doesn't care how many people show up to your caucus site, so if you get 400 people and win every delegate, it's exactly the same as if 1 person showed up as far as the sde goes.

there are 99 satellite caucuses and my understanding is they are assigned for delegate counting purposes as an extra precinct in each county. but i am not sure how much they're worth, i don't think much.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If Elizabeth Warren sincerely believed she was Native American, then presumably she would have an excellent track record on Native American issues and a history of working with Native American tribes?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

exquisite tea posted:

538 gave ... more accurately
Post is useless from inception.

Djarum posted:

Everything else, yeah she has been lying. I will likely blame her campaign staff more than anything
She hired Clinton people. She is permanently tainted now.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Djarum posted:

The problem is that Warren has already blown the benefit of the doubt.
The test results rebuked her, real Native Americans rebuked her, and she still stuck to the claim.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Concerned Citizen posted:

no, it's nothing like that. there is a disadvantage for people who might have their support super-concentrated - the delegate formula doesn't care how many people show up to your caucus site, so if you get 400 people and win every delegate, it's exactly the same as if 1 person showed up as far as the sde goes.

there are 99 satellite caucuses and my understanding is they are assigned for delegate counting purposes as an extra precinct in each county. but i am not sure how much they're worth, i don't think much.

Am I misunderstanding? - I thought you meant that say the distribution of votes in 2016/2018 was:
Site 1: 20%
Site 2: 25%
Site 3: 25%
Site 4: 30%

The delegate count would be distributed by those percentages. So this year if the people that showed up was 1 person at each of the first 3 sites, and 10 showed up at site 4, those three people would decide 70% and the 10 people would decide 30%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

HootTheOwl posted:

Doesn't he know it's bad luck to sniff a seabird?

Joe, on the precipice of an uncertain fate