Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My theory is a huge cause of cancer in the modern world are poo poo like Glade Plugins and diffusers and poo poo like that.

It's loving harsh, noxious chemicals, that you're purposely aerosolizing into your home. Seems insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

My theory is a huge cause of cancer in the modern world are poo poo like Glade Plugins and diffusers and poo poo like that.

It's loving harsh, noxious chemicals, that you're purposely aerosolizing into your home. Seems insane.

When I was a kid my mom always had a sage and citrus glade plugin going and that poo poo would make me nauseous without fail. Those things are nasty.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Literally the smell of any of those air fresheners makes me ill and gives me a headache. I can't understand why you would put that poo poo in the air you breathe

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My roommate loved to use 'scent booster' in his laundry. What scent are you boosting???? Why are you boosting it?? The answer to the first question is the nauseating unnatural 'fresh' scent and the second is 'I dunno I like it'

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

taqueso posted:

My roommate loved to use 'scent booster' in his laundry. What scent are you boosting???? Why are you boosting it?? The answer to the first question is the nauseating unnatural 'fresh' scent and the second is 'I dunno I like it'

It coats the scent in nano-particles that help it pass the blood brain barrier easily, it can also permeate level 4 biohazard suits. No one is safe from scent now.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

One of my current theories is that at some point in the near future, we're going to learn about how something commonplace and believed harmless will turn out to be the cause of a major issue.

And it's going to be really weird, like butter causes racism, or the USB protocol causes appendicitis or cushion covers trigger peanut allergies.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shut up Meg posted:

One of my current theories is that at some point in the near future, we're going to learn about how something commonplace and believed harmless will turn out to be the cause of a major issue.

And it's going to be really weird, like butter causes racism, or the USB protocol causes appendicitis or cushion covers trigger peanut allergies.

I personally wonder about polytetrafluoroethylene.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shut up Meg posted:

There have been some rumblings about acetaminophen along these lines, but so far nothing has panned out.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I’m sure I could dig up an article in New Scientist about it

E: https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23431290-600-causing-a-stink-the-truth-about-fragrances-and-your-health/

It’s inconclusive but it’s a long rear end article I probably shouldn’t paste the whole thing

i am harry fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 3, 2020

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I've worked in print for more years than I care to think about and photo labs before that, back before digital photography killed film. Given all the chemicals I've been exposed to in my working life I figure I'm bound to end up with some form of cancer or another eventually. Also, print is one of the industries that has a higher-than-average rate of people who develop Parkinson's compared to the general population, so yeah.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Shut up Meg posted:

Turns out the internet makes you stupid.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Literally the smell of any of those air fresheners makes me ill and gives me a headache. I can't understand why you would put that poo poo in the air you breathe

I think it's because other people don't have that response

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

LED screens cause brain damage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Synthbuttrange posted:

I mean yeah but only because of the text and images displayed on them.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Turn on your monitor.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

You guys ever see this channel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4iv4HvrfSU

Official channel of the US Chemical Safety and Hazardous Investigation board. Interesting stuff!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Road rage
https://i.imgur.com/hjTumJV.mp4

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Hah. Showed him.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That man should get a medal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
An angel from heaven, doing god's work.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I carry a little blacklight in my purse so I can find uranium glass when I go to the thrift store. My goal is to eventually have a china cabinet with blacklights installed so I can have a whole case of glowing green dishes.

Seriously? I never heard of this. Do you have a link? I have a black light for spotting dog piss, so I may take it thrifting.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Are they not also at least attempting to keep spectators out of the driving lanes? Seems like a lot of the Group B vids I watched, that was the obvious hazard, not that the cars were just too fast.

extremely thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-bEzUipmWc

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Seriously? I never heard of this. Do you have a link? I have a black light for spotting dog piss, so I may take it thrifting.

It's pretty striking (my black lights are for spotting cat piss, so, same page with ya there) but if I see a cheap little one it's going in my purse. The effect is impressive https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass

Vanadium Dame fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 3, 2020

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Memento posted:

I personally wonder about polytetrafluoroethylene.

It's only a problem when heated, so as long as you don't put any of that poo poo on a stovetop, you'll be fine. Wait...

Aramis fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 3, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use a vent fan and don’t overheat the pan.

What you’re really got to watch out for is microwave popcorn.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Erisian Automata posted:

It's pretty striking (my black lights are for spotting cat piss, so, same page with ya there) but if I see a cheap little one it's going in my purse. The effect is impressive https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass

Wow, that's really cool, thanks!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Or like how we all decided BPAs were bad, but nobody ever asks what it was we replaced BPA with and if that is even worse (guess what).

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

What about fly spray. I cannot work out why the gently caress it is used. It literally kills living things with chemicals, why are people ok spraying it around their house? If the bug is upsetting you that much just swat it or step on it or something idk

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There have been some rumblings about acetaminophen along these lines, but so far nothing has panned out.

You have no faith in medicine

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Just open a window before you spray the poison.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Mozi posted:

Or like how we all decided BPAs were bad, but nobody ever asks what it was we replaced BPA with and if that is even worse (guess what).

Plastic was a mistake.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lilbeefer posted:

What about fly spray. I cannot work out why the gently caress it is used. It literally kills living things with chemicals, why are people ok spraying it around their house? If the bug is upsetting you that much just swat it or step on it or something idk

:colbert: it's that or spreading chlordane around your kitchen with a brush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glpb4ZOBwgY

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
not sure how accurate it is, but going by a woman chemist on public radio who's a modernday Rachel Carson, making everything fire resistant is pretty decent cancer risk.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Shut up Meg posted:

it's gonna be social media

people 50 years from now will be saying "you just let your kids play with that poo poo?? didn't you recognize the signs of what it was doing to you??"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PhazonLink posted:

not sure how accurate it is, but going by a woman chemist on public radio who's a modernday Rachel Carson, making everything fire resistant is pretty decent cancer risk.

The Australian Air Force is embroiled in a pretty serious scandal right now with firefighting foam they knew 30 years ago to be insanely toxic that has been leaking from various bases into nearby water supplies.

So, yeah.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

PhazonLink posted:

Big fire says all the smouldering flame-retardant poo poo is giving their people cancer but what do they know?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/24/massachusetts-flame-retardants-firefighters-safety-cancer

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The rules about fire resistance in kids clothes in the U.S. are kind of ridiculous.

If you have a shirt in a child’s size, and you print an image of the Moon on it, gently caress you, that’s now sleepwear because the Moon is associated with the night. Now it can’t be made out of pure cotton because cotton does not self‐extinguish.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

UnknownTarget posted:

You guys ever see this channel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4iv4HvrfSU

Official channel of the US Chemical Safety and Hazardous Investigation board. Interesting stuff!
This is the forth iteration of this thread, the last one was three years old.

We're well versed with the CSB.

Memento posted:

The Australian Air Force is embroiled in a pretty serious scandal right now with firefighting foam they knew 30 years ago to be insanely toxic that has been leaking from various bases into nearby water supplies.

So, yeah.
Aw gently caress.... Sources please?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cable Guy posted:

Air Force bases, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Cable Guy posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...am-30-years-ago

I don't think Australia has the equivalent of superfund sites, but if they did, air force bases would probably counts